Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Why should I watch this?
Let's be real: you're watching it because it's Gundam.

It looks interesting enough that I'd be watching it even if it wasn't a Gundam series, but that's just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Linnaeus posted:

the group picture makes the main dude look really tiny lol

Between his height and the massively over-sized coat they're really emphasizing his youth

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Same, plus I like the staff they selected too.

Yeah, some people in the Fall Season thread said they were gonna watch this, despite having no interest in Gundam before, because they liked Toradora or Anohana.

That's a whole new demographic being brought in by the staff that BlitzBlast so casually dismissed in the OP because none of the robot shows they've worked on produced model kits he liked.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I can't wait till Biscuit Griffon boldly sacrifices himself to defeat the enemy.

I don't know why people expect Biscuit to die. Gundam doesn't have a history of killing fat guys.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

The last fat guys that were major characters in Gundam were Ryu and Hayato, who were killed.

Hayato died in Gundam ZZ, two series after he was introduced. Dude made it pretty far. also,

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

I'm glad there are no women on the cast

Aside from the two women.

Ka0 posted:

thus voiding the need to kill them off constantly to provide the main character with motivation.

Just like the last three Gundam shows didn't. Four if you count Origin.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

gently caress your good suits, please buy more not-Zakus. God I am sick of Zakus.

You better not be talking poo poo about the Jahannam. The name Jahannam will live on forever!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

the ridges on the head read like antennae to me :shrug:

It probably actually is a communication antenna, as that's the usual explanation for why Gundams have V-fins.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

I hope the princess gets to be cool, and do cool things.

They are super clearly setting up a big arc for her.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

I was a bit bored by Augus, because super-stoic awesome soldier has been done to death by Gundam. The problem before is that they rarely evolve out of that archtype in a meaningful way. Setsuna's probably the farthest anyone's gotten out of it.

This isn't the same tho. They showed that he completely relies on Orga for direction. I think that's where we're gonna see character growth. Augus having to make decisions for himself, Orga having to face what he's turned Augus into.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really like that they showed plants as a symbol of wealth on Mars. The queen had a big rear end green house, the company president had a line of potted plants in his office, and the shop owner had three little cactuses. They put thought into this world

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

I thought his brief moment with Aina about the handshake was well done too. Quick way to tell a fair amount about his character

Yeah, he's not dumb or robotic, he understood that interaction better than the princess did. It's just that his entire life whenever there's been a big decision, his immediate thought is to ask Orga what to do.

Even after just one episode you can tell all the characters have their own deal, nobody's just their to fill a robot cockpit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm hyped, the first episode was pretty great and hopefully it won't become terrible halfway through.

I already hate cliché little girl making a bracelet with no personality, though. Unless they surprise me there she's jsut going to be a complete waste like all characters of her archetype.

I'm expecting her to get interesting once she starts interacting with the rest of the cast. Her hyper delivery in the preview makes me thinks she's gonna be entertaining.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

I feel like this would be a tonal clash with everything else we've seen so far.

Yeah, not ninja, a UFC fighter

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't understand people's weird hate-boners for honorifics considering that they convey important contextual information and don't have any direct equivalents in English.

If you've watched enough anime to know the difference between kun, san, and sama, then you've watched enough anime to be able to hear those in the dialogue. And if you can't hear them, then you probably haven't watched enough anime to know the difference.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked that the scene where they were burying landmines in the beginning ended up paling a role at the end. Like, they could've been doing any sort of unpleasant work at the beginning, but they went the extra level and not only established the character's lovely deal, but also set something up for later on.

Somebody's thinking about this show while they're making it,

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

It smelled like the dick cheese these nasty rear end childs get on their back dicks

I don't think that smell is coming from the show, dude.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dulkor posted:

Villain or corpse. Taking all bets!

neither

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Yes, I would like to see the Third Corps partake in running the full length of the Crescent Moon ship and looking absolutely unfazed while the Megafauna crew are seconds away from dying of exhaustion.

if a bunch of kids who grew up on Mars went somewhere with Earth like gravity they'd have trouble just walking

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NotALizardman posted:

Who is the cutest boy so far and why is it Orga?

Cause he's tall, tan, blonde, and has like, negative 1 percent bodyfat

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If Biscuit and Orga ever kiss in this show, let's just say I won't be waiting for erection anymore.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Don't worry guys, the Barbatos is gonna get a big spiky backpack

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now I want to see SuperMechaGodzilla's take on Gundam.

gently caress you.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drrockso20 posted:

Unless you use magic or technology that might as well be magic, it takes a long rear end time to terraform a world even in the best conditions, so it's not all that surprising that even after a couple hundred years Mars is pretty inhospitable to life, even if it has a breathable atmosphere now

Yeah, it takes loving forever to make significant amounts of dirt from scratch. That part's pretty realistic, imo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WitchFetish posted:

Ok so basically I kinda remember watching Gundam 08th MS Team and several other Sunrise batshit insane mecha animes (Code Geass, Valvrave, and Fukuda's latest massterpiece), but since I don't remember anything about the former and the latters had nothing to do with Gundam, I'm basically starting my knowledge of the Gundam-verse now and this is what I think I understood :

- Mars has been terraformed and everybody on it is poor. Also something happened 323 years ago that might have been linked to said terraformation? Mars people want independence (from Earth? seems logical)
- The princess supports Martian indepence (because she's young and full of convictions?), but pretty much nobody else in her social circle does (because they are old and assholes?)
- She gets sent to the trash PMC full of child soldiers that are treated like absolute trash, who are supposed to be protecting her (?) while she visits Mars (?).
- Anyway they get attacked by people from some place with a ridiculous name that starts with like "Gja" (how the gently caress is that even supposed to be pronounced?), who uh... what is their objective anyway? I might have forgotten, but I bet they are trying to kill the Princess to make the Martian independence movement look bad.
- Trash PMC is badly equipped, and most of the troops actually leave the child soldiers from "trash battalion C" to die. Luckily they have a giant robot (I think those are the ones called Gundams) underground in a top secret part of the base, and the episode ends as it springs from the ground and starts attacking the assholes in the other giant robots.
- Also there are two assholes in space talking about some sort of techno magical communication device.
- Like 8/10 child soldiers have "will die an horrible painful death" written next to them, and I can bet fat guy, tall guy with weird haircut, hardcore-looking muscle dude and handsome blonde guy are going to die before the show is even halfway done.

This is completely unconnected from all other Gundam shows, so you don't need any prior knowledge going in. Although, I will say

WitchFetish posted:

(because she's young and full of convictions?)(because they are old and assholes?)

You seem to get Gundam pretty well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WitchFetish posted:

- She gets sent to the trash PMC full of child soldiers that are treated like absolute trash, who are supposed to be protecting her (?) while she visits Mars (?).

They say she actually specifically chose the orphans as her bodyguards. Because they're native Martians and orphans and it's so authentic and real, man...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Monaghan posted:

Huh just said at nycc that their dubbing iron blood and should be released ealru 2016. Maybe Bandai actually gives a poo poo about he na market again

I'm gonna say it's because we all bought enough Gundam models at American stores.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The way Mikazuki moves in the Barbatos is so cool.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Everything Burrito posted:

My hope is that Orga doesn't go down the doomed mentor path everyone is predicting and the actual evolution of Orga and Mika's relationship is moving from superior/subordinate to one more like real friends or equals (and that he lives til the end).

You just want them to kiss.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We're only two episodes in, had Schwarz Bruder or Harry Ord even shown up this early in their respective series?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

I think Harry had. I remember him and some other moonrace people having a meeting with Guin early on.

Also this show's going to be half as long as turn a or g.

yeah, this early in their respective series would be by episode 4.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Good character stuff this episode. Kudelia didn't want to throw away the curry she messed up, she wanted to eat it all herself. Still being impractical, but trying to be practical by not wasting food.

Good sound too. The part where Orga and Kudelia were talking and you heard the battle in the background would've sucked if they'd used traditional sci-fi laser sound effects or whatever.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I am dissapointed that they didn't call the company Ecstasy Justice

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Red Bones posted:

I thought the canteen scene was the worst part of the episode. In terms of what it seemed to be trying to do, I don't think having a scene that provides a bit of levity is really necessary when an episode is like 22 minutes long and the thrust of the episode was "the current situation at CGS is unpleasant, so the kids are gonna take over by force", and it could've been replaced by another scene like, say, Kudelia walking in on one of the kids having an argument with the engineer guy about whether he's going to side with their little coup or not. Just something a bit more tense? Having the scene be there to establish that BIscuit drugged the food wasn't really necessary because imo you don't really need a setup for the next two moments where biscuit delivers the 1st company food, and then Orga tells them they drugged the food.

Other than that, I get that the other reason for the scene was to have Kudelia be trying to help out and Mika acknowledging that she's doing good in a kinda offhanded way, but I would've appreciated it being done in a way that doesn't involve really boring, one note characters and lovely gender roles of "ladies gotta cook for the men". Like it could've been an opportunity to show the audience that Kudelia has a useful skill, to kinda inform her current little arc of "what am I supposed to do with myself, I feel very out of my depth", and to enlighten us a bit as to how and why exactly she became a figurehead of Independence, and what her role in that movement actually entailed. Instead it's a joke that she didn't ever learn how to cook because she's rich.

There's other scenes that happened before and after the cooking scene, which, when watched in order, create a story. Kudelia is a big important politician. She actually sees first hand how hosed up poo poo is and loses faith in herself doing something important as a politician. During the attack she wants to help in the garage or hangar bay or whaetver, and can't cause she doesn't know poo poo about fixing tanks. After the attack she wants to help in the kitchen but can't because she doesn't know how to cook. During the duel she wants to have the brain surgery so she can pilot a robot, and Orga points out how dangerous and dumb that is. After all that she decides that what she can do is work as a politician.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Green Intern posted:

Kitbash Gundam is the coolest thing, god drat.

Edit: I'm wondering if IBO has killed its Ramba Ral early.

There's still the cool guy with the wife in the OP.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

no such thing as an anti-war film

You've never seen How I Won the War, I take it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

There's tons of movies that I would say are objectively anti war films, but those usually end up the movies that are framed from the perspectives of powerless people who are in the path of the conflict as opposed to the stories of soldiers, which often end up with a heroic bent to them.

"There's no such thing as an anti-war film" is a thing a dude said once and gets mindlessly quoted a lot, but isn't actually true.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think Mika just doesn't put much value on last words

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really hope we get to see all 72 Gundams, even if most of them are just MSVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

It wasn't bad, I just could not be at all bothered to care about the Galbaldy Alpha pilot and I really enjoyed all the intrigue stuff more than "LOOK AT THIS SWEET GOUF!"

It is a really sweet Gouf.

• Locked thread