Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The leader guy has incredibly fantastic and pointy hair.

he's one of my favorites, along with the guy that looks really similar to Guts

i dunno why everybody thinks the pointy-haired guy will die, or why x/y/z characters will die and HERE'S my list of the bodycount etc. but that stuff bums me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

I think if anyone important is gonna die in this one it's not gonna be until later in the show.

And yeah I think it's kinda lame, though at least it's a step down from the pre-airing weirdness about G-Reco, predicting outcomes that were absolutely not gonna happen

"the G-Self rabbit ears are stupid, what a hindrance they'll be in combat!"

closeted republican posted:

It's fun to imagine the token fatty comic relief die, that's why.

i dunno, he just seems like a fat guy and not especially funny. i like basically all the characters so far and hope few to none die, like G-Reco

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

lol that was quite a special moment, especially when he ragequit the thread by yelling that people are just mad that he exposed the truth

I'm mainly thinking of how people were insistent on how it was going to end with a lot of death and be blatantly linked to Turn A, etc.

The latter definitely wasn't gonna happen.

oh, yeah. i'm glad it didn't turn into some crazily removed dark prequel

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

destroy the Gundam timeline

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reds posted:

So how come people get upset over the whole toy commercial thing?

what is this referring to, the show or the toy ad in the OP?

wrt the former, people dislike the merchandise aspect of the show because it sometimes comes with perceived or actual corporate interference, and can affect the pacing and writing of a show, in the sense that battles often seem to happen just to show off the toys. this is obviously part of why the shows work and are made at all, but thay doesn't make it not annoying or above (reasonable) complaints.

the toy ad in the op...well mostly that's just unnecessary/not super relevant but also not a big deal. i don't think it was treated as such either

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reds posted:

I guess I'm just of the opinion that as long as there's no big plot-killing "the execs said sell the toy here" then I don't really care as long as the show is fine.

I'm biased because I like model kits anyway.

i also like the plastic aspects, but kinda wish they didn't push it to the detriment of the shows. G-Reco maybe could've used less fights and more time for other things, regardless of Tomino's great fight direction. also it's really lame that a toy show doesn't make toys of all the robots they spend half a year+ making look cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why was the Hecate such a show fixture if they weren't going to kit it??? mrgrgr

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

MG G-self loving when Bandai

Stop Droyer! I still need like 3 G-Reco HGs first!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the unarmored waist should do some sick 180 and 360 spins

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bug 'bot is cute

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

It's a frog, not a bug.

the ridges on the head read like antennae to me :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybeflan posted:

:goonsay:
Not quite the same thing, but here's a horned frog.

yeah...i realized the horned toad thing when chumbler posted. they're pretty small, so they look more like what the Gusion has. i like insectoid motifs like w/ Zanscare, so i'm just gonna go with plausible deniability on this one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really liked the first episode, even if there was a bit of cast list bloat. immediately showing the princess that her good intentions were only worth so much, and that she isn't in touch nor a savior was really good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her maid is really cool, i hope she also gets something to do. or she could secretly be a ninja like Code Geass

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

I feel like this would be a tonal clash with everything else we've seen so far.

would a spy lady who does cqc be okay? because that's basically what i meant

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Come to think of it, was any previous Gundam show this heavy on the manservice? The first episode really went all-in.

... maaaybe 00?

as far as being filled with men to ogle at, Wing and 00 seem like the most obvious examples. G-Reco had a straight up naked man in a few scenes though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Akihiro (the Guts lookalike) is cute too

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but that says hg...
*a single tear falls, hitting the 1/100 Barbatos i will eventually own*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, due to past experience with anime. If she turns out to be not-terrible I'll eat my words.

you could just not make the bad post in the first place, then there'd be no words to eat

seriously, it's episode 2 of 25

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:rip: shirtless cockpit shots
i guess the eventual spacesuits will have some way to accommodate the whiskers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

accidental double-post, have some gifs I stole from tumblr so it's not wasted

huh. that sure is a huge height difference i didn't notice before

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Orga feels like he could go Char, maybe it's just his Luin-esque hair. i'd be okay with Orlis getting messed up and getting a mask though.

i mean, it'd be interesting if nobody got a mask, but i dunno if that's a reasonable expectation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Oh, my bad i thought Orlis was the guy who Crank rescued in ep1. The dude thirsty to prove himself/avenge the dead pilot. Anyway, Ein at least has an easy in to be a Mask-type character, but I'd just love any potential masks this season to be ornamental and not change characters into any previous Chars.

Sakurazuka posted:

Char is like the moogles in an FF game

i need this fanart

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've seen like 13 episodes of Victory and my only memory of him is that he's not very interesting and his mask sucks

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah it was something about the pilot- machine interface causing strain on the body, since Barbatos is mich more complex than a mobile worker.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Traveller posted:

His midseason upgrade will be literacy. :colbert:

the manual gag was pretty neat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it'd be cool to keep it in the gunpla thread

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Orga cares about what Mika thinks, but I don't think that necessarily balances the equation when Mika is being used as his attack dog. Even with his "I've never been a victim" attitude, him not seeing an unhealthy balance in their relationship doesn't mean it can't be there. It's possible to exploit a relationship in very subtle ways, like Orga simply asking Mika something could exert soft pressure or a desire for him to agree (and Orga being aware of that).

That said, none of this stuff is really out in the open yet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Really? The way characters talked about things I was sure this was just set further in the same timeline as other shows.

Unless they specifically reveal it ties in somehow, it's technically standalone. So he's probably just talking about the Calamity War and/or other conflicts in their same timeline.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, i thought he was just referring to the Shin Graze not having the interface. he had two Whiskers when he was doing pull-ups with Mika iirc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the production doesn't seem like it's falling apart or anything, i really don't mind giving a bad shot a pass.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zasze posted:

I really hope not guts just gets to fly a super tricked out grazaku and never gets a gundam upgrade, IBO has been pretty solid so far but you can almost see some execs hand shaking over the GIVE EVERYONE GUNDAMS button.

we only know about 3 (4?) Gundams, so i don't think you need to worry about them becoming ubiquitous. i think Akihito would be fine with a Gundam but mostly just hope he has a good sized role going forward.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can see why people bring up Chars, because masked characters are a thing in Gundam, but Jerid really doesn't seem on that level. like i'm not sure what purpose comparing [IBO character] to [similar one-off Gundam character] serves.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gundam is a kids' show and it airs during primetime. there definitely should at least be a disclaimer before the episode/at commercial break

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Maybe AGE and BF, sure, but Gundam has always been heavy on the mass deaths, and the title is literally Iron-Blooded Orphans. I don't know how you can look at that and go "oh, yes, a pleasant subject for children." Sticking a disclaimer in front of it given the time slot is a good idea, but "it's a kids' show!" is still a silly comment.

but it is a kids' show/franchise

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 10, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, the Yamagi thing was really interesting to me because it was such a huge focus but very vague. I would hope he doesn't have some urge to become a combatant and it instead turns out to be a crush or something motivating him to become a better engineer.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

usually the bridge crew would be wearing their normal suits though, so i don't think it's a case of the girls being unique in their unpreparedness. if that stuff really matters

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm surprised this isn't it's own anime yet. I'm upset this isn't it's own anime yet. I want Jimi Hendrix in a labcoat performing SCIENCE! using the power of rock.

you can always try the next best thing, and read an awesome manga about Jimi Hendrix occasionally possessing an uncool high school teacher

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think, and hope, everybody will still be together in the end. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

keep the toys in the gunpla thread imo

• Locked thread