Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I like that you can't make a thread without a paragraph talking about the toys.

Hi tomino-san

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Just like the last three Gundam shows didn't. Four if you count Origin.

Well two of those are kids toy tournament shows, so of course they didn't. Props to Reco on that count though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Bugs are badass and the Japanese know that.

:yeah:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nondevor posted:

As someone who's hasn't really watched Gundam besides some of Turn-A and Build Fighters, I thought the first episode was pretty good! I like what I heard of the soundtrack.

You should finish Turn A if you feel like it, it's good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm probably just being dumb, but I was a bit confused by the scenes with Coral. When he says "Then for her to be remembered eternally as a people's icon, we will help her" and "To receive the support of Nobliss, we need to have her do well", are those both references to having Kudelia offed? I dunno, it just felt a bit awkward to me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Allarion posted:

Presumably they would make her a martyr, but we don't quite know how everything connects together yet I think. I tend to be slow in picking up on the various factions admittedly.

I understand the first line as referring to her martyrdom had she been killed, but "we need to have her to well" is an incredibly awkward way of referring to someone whom you're ordering three guys to blow up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TNG posted:

Think of it this way, if Gandhi had been killed around 1944 and turned into a martyr, do you think Indian independence would have gone as well as it did? It probably would have fractured into a lot of splinter groups and taken much longer and been much more violent, which would have benefited the British. I think the realpolitik the Mars branch Gjallerhorn is engaging in is very interesting. There's value in someone becoming an icon rather than somehow who's actually speaking with the Earth government directly for the powers that be. An icon's message can be controlled and directed, an active leader of a united grassroots independence movement is a bit of a bigger fish to fry. There's this cliche where you don't want to "turn someone into a martyr" that waves away certain murder based solutions for oppressive governments in fiction. A martyr isn't actually leading anyone anymore, they're just dead and people are left behind without someone to fill that role anymore.

That's about what I thought, I just think "have her do well" was an awkward phrase to use in that situation. I'm mainly complaining about the subtitles rather than the actual show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

I thought Gurren Lagann's dub was really good tbh.

I remember it being pretty good as far as the major characters went.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

show seems p cool from watching the first two eps but looks like it's going to suffer from a lack of tomino

guess i shouldn't have expected good gundam shows back to back though

everythingWasBees posted:

What does this even mean.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Like, I enjoyed what of G-Reco I saw, but it's weird to think that a show's going to become bad because it has a different director than the last show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

"I like it but I decided it's bad because Tomino isn't involved with it"

people get weird about tomino

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

has anybody made a .gif of Orga and Mika's fistbump at the beginning of the OP?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no such thing as an anti-war film

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

"There's no such thing as an anti-war film" is a thing a dude said once and gets mindlessly quoted a lot, but isn't actually true.

It's not an absolute, but it's a good description of a phenomenon that's fairly common, especially in media like anime that has vocal audience segments cheering at the prospect of killhappy main characters because that's "badass" and "realistic". Not saying anybody here's like that, I was just reminded of it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Parallax posted:

boomboomboom: first three minutes of Gundam Thunderbolt are out
boomboomboom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Trb5wCvlw
boomboomboom: pass it on
boomboomboom: I can't remember if I already told you, sorry if so.
Parallax: will i get good luck if i do
boomboomboom: yes
boomboomboom: it's already been posted in the chat thread, but not the Gundam thread, the IBO thread, the Winter anime thread or the Mecha thread

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A friendly reminder that WickedHate is a self-admitted sociopath and you're not going to win this argument.

I got confused for a sec until I looked at the username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WickedHate posted:

, I'm not the first person putting this observation forward.

You're not the first to get called silly for it either.

• Locked thread