Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Bugs are badass and the Japanese know that.

Zanscare banzai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Goddamit it's blocked on youtube. :argh:

Where do I watch this if I'm Canadian?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm hyped, the first episode was pretty great and hopefully it won't become terrible halfway through.

I already hate cliché little girl making a bracelet with no personality, though. Unless they surprise me there she's jsut going to be a complete waste like all characters of her archetype.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, I will instantly stop hating Mek Girl Number 1304 if the guy she likes is literally anyone other than Mika. Like Biscuit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

For instance, lots of western fans hated G-Reco despite the show being great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't understand people's weird hate-boners for honorifics considering that they convey important contextual information and don't have any direct equivalents in English.

That's not true at all, though. Honorifics are not that different from saying Sir or Mister or Dude.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I said it in the season thread, but I'm pretty sure I can't think of another Gundam show with a stronger first episode. Turn-A probably comes closest, albeit in a very different genre.

Turn-A still has the ebst last scene of a first episode, with Loran asking everyone to come back because Earth is a nice place.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Under pressure, waiting for erection. I like the off focus buff dudes at the protest too

In the future, FEMEN bought bikini tops.

Future feminists are right about colonial rule though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Red Bones posted:

The info on the Gundam wiki (presumably taken from the manual) also mentions that the Barbatos puts a lot of stress on the pilot as a result of inertia and suchlike, so that's probably playing a role in Mika's bloody mouth. It also says there's a "4th form" based on its original 300 year old specs that it's restored to at some point (which is probably the version with shoulder armour) which has better reactor output and weight distribution, so maybe that one won't slowly kill the pilot with G-forces.

So it's a Tallgeese? :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So that makes Biscuit Master Miller and Orga Big Boss.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Greblin posted:

The history of Gundam is the history of class struggles.

Now I want to see SuperMechaGodzilla's take on Gundam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nah, it would be great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

:golfclap:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I liked Eureka 7's dub as well.

Crispin Freeman was great as Holland. In fact, all the VAs are great except for Renton and Eureka, who are merely "alright".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRolpUL3g8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Delivery girl confirmed to be loving terrible. :sigh:

Tae posted:

It's been so long since a fight actually took advantage of terrain like that outside of Build Fighters, who's whole gimmick is that.

G-Reco's fights all used the environments in fun and creative ways: you never got the impression fights took place in an empty void like 00 or Seed.

Kanos posted:

That fight choreography was Build Fighters-esque in quality. :vince: Mikazuki is also a mean and vengeful little bastard and it's amazing.

Better yet: Victory quality. :getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Dude, she hasn't even done anything yet. Unless 'existing' and 'realising Mika has bigger problems than worrying about her' make her, I quote, loving terrible.

She's just the latest version of the terrible archetype of "meek girl with no personality who does nothing but pine after the hero for no reason". That's an archetype that is both super-common in anime and never amounts to anything. It's terrible writing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Srice posted:

You're assuming she's gonna be a terrible cliche based off very little screentime before she's had the chance to accomplish anything, then?

Yes, due to past experience with anime. If she turns out to be not-terrible I'll eat my words.

She had three scenes and none of them added anything to the show. If they'd used those scenes to set her up as a civilian viewpoint into Martian society, I wouldn't be complaining. Instead she makes a bracelet and is worried about if he's going to like it or not. That's super obvious "Doormat" territory. And I HATE doormat characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Instead of treating anime like some huge monolithic thing, perhaps look at the writer and director of this show? Are they prone to this archetype? Is the Gundam franchise?

The writer/director might not be, but the Gundam franchise is littered with terrible female characters. Shakti, Marina, all of AGE, etc.

When a character has a short amount of screentime, you need to set them up right away. You can't waste it. If all you know about a character for weeks is the one scene they had back in episode 1, it's going to shape your vision of that character to a large degree. And so far in both episodes her character can be summed up by: small, worried, in love with MC. Not a good start.

This is contrasted with the rest of the show, which is really good so far. Pretty much all the other characters managed to be presented in a lot more interesting way so far, including those who have had equally tiny screen time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jesus christ.

I make a minor complaint about a character I think is terrible so far. And then when people make fun of me for it I explain it's because, SO FAR, she fits a terrible and extremely common archetype that I hate. That's it. I didn't make a huge three-page rant like that dude who was super pissed at the G-Self's ears: I've barely written one parapgraph if you add all three or four of my posts. I'm not even angry: all I said was she was bad. If anything I'm disappointed becaus ethe rest of the show so far was great. poo poo, the original complaint was a single sentence and all I've been doing after that was answering questions about it.

But I guess making fun of other goons is more important than reading comprehension.

Edit: How dare I have a single tiny complaint!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He gor nothing on Marshal Hidler from iirc Getter Robo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm not going to say the show is super sexist or anything, but it's still weird how the armies of the future are apparently back to being only dudes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

While I think it would be kinda lame if there were no women combatants later on, this show is clearly appealing to the fujoshi crowd. It's hardly surprising most of the cast is male.

I get that. Like I said, I'm not actually complaining or anything. It just keeps weirding me out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gundam: Beasts of No Nation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

theres no way this is as good as beasts of no nation

Planning on watching that tomorrow, so I guess I'll see.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, gis point remain true: that ir's hard to make a truly anti-war film. It's human nature to want nice stories with heroes that stop the bad things. And even the bleakest movies can have people finding stuff cool about it. Like some people thinl Apocalypse Now is awesome. Surfing in a war? That's badass!

But a thing being hard does not make it impossible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Namtab posted:

Epic robot warcrimes itt

All of you that have never been listened to before and have seen your family killed, huh, you now have something that stands for you. You now have something that stands for you!

(I watched the movie today)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gundam Aloser.

Gundam Mars Saga Episode VI: Let Us Cling Together.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi was a cool manga along these lines up until the last few chapters became a bunch of boring mech fights just because.

I dunno, even then it was more interesting than the normal smash zoom bang stuff. The participants ahd been introduced way earlier, it involved mobilization and personnel placement and logistics and unusual tactics (like using the artificial weather against the enemy not used to harsh weather, etc.). And even then the battle is resolved through negotiation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like the final battle because it has a huge "End of WWII" feel. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It makes sense for her as a character but man will I be glad when Kudelia stops finding new things to self-flagellate herself over.

Can't wait for her and Aida to interact in a future SRW game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As a Canadian, it's hilarious that Canada joined hands with Russia isntead of the US. Our desire not to be Americans wins again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Green Party took over and started it's reign of french eco-fascism.

(Arbre means Tree in french)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Arbrau" isn't remotely French and looks like a German word, even if it isn't.

I don't know, Arbrau sounds like Arbre to me. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Or it could be in the exact opposite direction and all the non-powerful areas are being dominated by the likes of the USA, China, Europe, etc. Just because the name has Africa in it doesn't mean they let Africans be in charge. :v:

The Gundam equivalent of the Congo Free State.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Africa becoming a unified world power is one of those interesting ideas I wish sci-fi would use more of, since iirc the continent has an absolutely loving ridiculous amount of natural resources that are largely untapped because europeans have spent the last several centuries loving with the local politics specifically to prevent any of the countries from unifying and becoming an economic/political competitor

Trinity, the 90s sci-fi rpg, had Africa as one of the future world powers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I dream of a world where Gundam series going forward no longer include a Haro, but just include Biscuit instead.

Victory Haro was great. The Dog was cool too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GN particles in 00 also completely screwed with radio waves, so anyone near a Gundam had no communications or radar.

Man, that's a wasted opportunity for an episode from the point of view of the enemy grunts that's framed like a slasher movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

YES.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Jupiter Mafia! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Like I said earlier, Gundam Beasts of No Nation.

• Locked thread