Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hi,

I hope that this is the right sub-forum, and that there is an Excel whiz who can help. My son has developed Type 1 diabetes. We are required to test his blood sugar levels frequently throughout the day, although it's never at exactly the same times. His blood sugar monitor device can export data. I have been trying to graph this, but to no avail. I used to be pretty good at Excel charting, but I haven't done it for years and my former skills have deserted me. The data is irregular; different times of the day, and different numbers of readings per day. What I'd like is a line graph (probably with markers) where each day has its own line and markers, and I can see, say, 14 days worth of data, each with its own line, with blood sugar levels on the y axis and time on the x axis.

The data is currently in a dd/mm/yyyy hh/mm format (all in one cell), and the blood sugar levels are simply numbers with one decimal.

O mighty graph gods, I beseech you!

I am running Excel 2011 (14.5.5) on a Macbook Air with OS X 10.9.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This subforum is more for hardware tech support, but you should be able to get what you want to do in Excel by splitting the date/time column into separate columns for date and time. There's plenty of guides for this online and the help feature in Office is actually pretty drat good.

Afterwards you can just make every day into a line for the graph and it should show them over each other. The amount of data points being different shouldn't matter too much.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

This subforum is more for hardware tech support, but you should be able to get what you want to do in Excel by splitting the date/time column into separate columns for date and time. There's plenty of guides for this online and the help feature in Office is actually pretty drat good.

Afterwards you can just make every day into a line for the graph and it should show them over each other. The amount of data points being different shouldn't matter too much.

Thanks. I read the YOSPOS/tech support rules and they seemed to point me here. I have searched online but haven't found anything that answers the question. The issue is that there is not a consistent set of x-axis values as the times vary per day.

By splitting date and time I suppose that the date would become the series label and the time the x axis values? I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Are you 100% sure somebody hasn't already built this for you? It seems like the kind of thing that would already be out there.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

therattle posted:

The issue is that there is not a consistent set of x-axis values as the times vary per day.

By splitting date and time I suppose that the date would become the series label and the time the x axis values? I'll give that a try. Thanks.

That's what I meant, yes. The x-axis can be changed manually to just show the full span of a day, the data points will automatically move to the right spots. I'd throw a quick and dirty formula set up, but I'm on a different language version of Excel and function names are wildly and hilariously translated.

And, as Alereon said, there is probably software that can do this for you already. Doesn't the glucose meter's manufacturer have anything to download?

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
You might even just check these out:

https://templates.office.com/en-ca/Blood-pressure-and-glucose-tracker-TM00000054

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-discussions/general/4502-free-blood-sugar-tracking-spreadsheets

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/testing-blood-sugar/42188-tutorial-how-log-chart-blood-glucose-excel/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/food-blood-sugar-diary-spreadsheet.19701/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Thank you very much for those templates. I was going to build one myself for others but unsurprisingly others have beaten me to it. The blood sugar monitor software has some graphing functions but not that one. I'll check those links out. Thanks again.

• Locked thread