Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Link to the setup thread

quote:

For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. Now, finally, we've driven them off, and we're left with this: a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our community up and learn again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might not survive the encounter. This is when it will end. But we don't know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.

I'm not going to put an explanation of the rules here, for that refer to the setup thread. Instead, I think its best if we jump right in.

Before we can do anything else, we need to determine what out setting looks like, in broad strokes. Is our community located in the middle of a landlocked desert, surrounded by the ruins of cities? In a crater slowly being filled by the ocean? On a tropical island reminiscent of Bermuda? What's the climate like? Do we have weird climate? Or is the climate fairly normal? Feel free to use real world references, or just describe, in broad strokes, what you want to see.

Once everyone has chipped in, the facilitator (me) will write a brief, coherent description of the community's surroundings, climate etc, based on what everyone has said. If everyone's happy, the facilitator makes the basic map, showing the rough lay of the land and suggesting where the community lives.

I leave you guys to start it off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I guess I'll start :shobon:

So, I'm thinking about water, which leads me to think about climate change. A world where the ice caps have melted almost in their entirety, leading to far higher water levels, maybe? With such a harsh change in the ecosystem so (relatively, in planet terms) quickly, it'd cause a lot of problems with agriculture and just gently caress things up generally, which could lead to some interesting scenarios. We don't necessarily have to be on an island or coastal, though that could be cool -- maybe we're near a river that's overflown and created a lot of (again, relatively) new swampland/bog?

I dunno, just throwing out some ideas to get things rolling.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Oh, great! I was thinking melted ice caps as well! I'm going to throw out that maybe the swamp had grown out of the ruins of a giant city. A partially submerged New York or something. It's a cool visual imagining this community living in small stilt houses under the shadows of fallen skyscrapers. Have people paddling boats down deeply flooded streets and alleys.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Oh, great! I was thinking melted ice caps as well! I'm going to throw out that maybe the swamp had grown out of the ruins of a giant city. A partially submerged New York or something. It's a cool visual imagining this community living in small stilt houses under the shadows of fallen skyscrapers. Have people paddling boats down deeply flooded streets and alleys.

I like the sound of this (which shouldn't be shocking)! Going ruined-metropolis opens up so many possibilities for exploration, discovery and danger, and we can get this whole "trying to pick up the pieces of what civilization once was" vibe going. At least, that's where I'd be tempted to take it.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I like the idea of this kind of world. So it's pretty much like that PS4 game? (Though I've not played it myself)

Lots of opportunity for looting and discovery I'm sure! And as for civilisation, rooftop farms and such sounds pretty cool. Hard to find soil though!

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 2, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I have no idea what PS4 game that is but now I wish I had a PS4 so I could play it

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

So it looks like we're pretty much in agreement that its going to be a swamp of some-kind, perhaps with a river running through it, with a ruined city shadowing over our community. It seems likely that there are the remains of a once advanced people in the city, which provide opportunities for peril and discovery. There's also the idea that this change is fairly recent, its upset the balance of the area. Change means upheaval, and it may be good or bad. I got the impression, although I might be wrong, that we were tending towards a temperate, perhaps even tropical climate. The idea that soil might be scarce was floated, and we'll explore that further when we get to the resources phase.

Does this sound right so far? We haven't heard anything from goodness yet, although there's still plenty of time to chip in. If there are any more broad ideas/tweaks/etc, this is the time!

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
No idea what that game is either but it looks great.

Edit: We could go tropical I suppose. I wouldn't care if we did. But I think I would prefer if we were living in a place with real seasons so a little further North than the tropics. Maybe a faux New Orleans or Atlanta? That would explain the explosion of swamps

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 3, 2015

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Reverse google image search reveals that it's called Submerged! This is where my knowledge of this game ends!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Edit: We could go tropical I suppose. I wouldn't care if we did. But I think I would prefer if we were living in a place with real seasons so a little further North than the tropics. Maybe a faux New Orleans or Atlanta? That would explain the explosion of swamps

I'm okay with this.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Had some long shifts, you guys have done great so far. New Orleans inspired climate/area will be fun. Some creepy or voodoo artifacts hidden beneath us :getin:

The community could be located on top of a large dome that they thought was an island but turns out to be part of the city.

goodness fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 3, 2015

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Id say it would be better to have this city originally being on a hawaii like island, but then again i suppose thats another phase.. adding in a mountainous area.

What was the cause of the flooding? Ice caps or crazy voodoo?

Also i would have linked the game but the mystery over it was somewhat satisfying!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

So we've agreed then, that our community is in a new-orleans type climate, in a flooded valley, in the shadow of a city. There is ancient technology, magical and wondrous and voodoo artifacts scattered thought the valley. The flooding has disrupted the local ecosystem, and the change will create difficulties for our community. Movement is difficult as the area is flooded. I imagine that the humidity means that insects swarm, and there's a tendency for mist and fog in the summer and spring, and that as we head towards autumn we'll start seeing rain and ice. But perhaps the climate might be further disrupted thanks to the melting of the icecaps... or voodoo magic. I further imagine entire forests now partially submerged, the tops of the trees sticking out from the flooded strand, looking desolate. Whatever wildlife lived here originally has scattered, with more water bound creatures starting to take up inhabitance in the valley.

We don't really need to establish the *why* necessarily, our community deals with what's transpired, for them, it doesn't matter if the valley has flooded due to a curse or due to natural events, or because a dam burst upstream. Although the why's may come to light during play, its more important to establish they whats.

If we're all ok with how this stands now, I'll draw a map. The map will feature
1.) A river
2.) The fact that the majority of the valley is flooded
3.) A ruined city
4.) Buried voodoo artifacts
5.) A flooded strand.

Finally, of course, our community.

A couple inspirational images:

This sound good to everyone? If no one objects I'll get the map up tonight, and we'll do the resource phase next.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Heck yeah, that sounds great to me. :coal:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'm good

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I like it!

Something to think about, what is the shape/material of the valley that causes the community to not move to a higher ground.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
It's "where they've always lived" I dunno

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If we're going with the whole voudoun-esque vibe, maybe they have beliefs about their homeland/the land where their ancestors are buried that keep them tied there, emotionally? Such that they feel strongly enough to keep trying to make a life there, despite the hardships created by the changing environment?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Someone Awful! posted:

If we're going with the whole voudoun-esque vibe, maybe they have beliefs about their homeland/the land where their ancestors are buried that keep them tied there, emotionally? Such that they feel strongly enough to keep trying to make a life there, despite the hardships created by the changing environment?

That's... way better than my idea

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ancestral ties work. I have this Tue/Wed off and will be able to spend some quality time on world building/posting here.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

First of all, apologies for the delay. My weekend was busy! Here's a map!

For the purpose of drawing on the map, you guys are going to have to register on realtimeboard and give me the email you've registered with (via PM) so I can share the map with you. Its free and it'll let you draw when its your turn to draw. I've given an idea of what drawings can look like, but you can also import images from google, if (like me) drawing isn't your thing.

As you can see, the map has a river, that leads into a flooded valley, there's a city in the center, and a flooded strand off to the side. Inland there's a voodoo artifact, probably not the only one, but the one our community knows about. As the game goes on, someone might use their action to discover another one or start a project to recover that specific one.

Now we have three things before the game proper starts, first we must decide where on the map we'd like our community to be, secondly we must each pick a resource, by picking these resources, we automatically make them important for our community. For example, if someone picked Health the fact that our community has a scarcity or abundance of it would be a driving force in the game. Similarly, if we had a Scarcity of rum, our community would consider rum important and the fact we didn't have much would be a source of hardship, projects would probably be undertaken to alleviate it and it would be a source of social change perhaps. Once we've each picked a resource, we pick one to be in abundance, and the rest to be a scarcity.

This is also a good time to make Lines and Veils. Basically, a Line is something you're not comfortable seeing in the story at all, for whatever reason. Things that squick you out. E.g. Cannibalim. These things are not allowed in the story at all, for the comfort of all involved. Veils are things that make us uncomfortable but we're ok just talking over, just not in detail, for example, if the topic were "Sexual Violence" we'd be ok with mentioning rape, but not with describing it at all, or making it a central part of the story. We don't need to have any, but this is a good time to bring them up if we have them, just so we can all enjoy the game.

goodness posted:

Ancestral ties work. I have this Tue/Wed off and will be able to spend some quality time on world building/posting here.

I'm going to caution against wordlbuilding, this game has a very rigid architecture of how we discover and create as the game goes on, and establishing too much ahead of time spoils the impact of discussions and discoveries. For example, at some point in spring, its likely we'll have a discussion about "Who in our society is the most respected and why?", if we've already established that, then the discussion loses a lot of its potency. There's also a lot of cards that let players straight up decide facts like this, which means that if we establish them ahead of time, we strip players of their autonomy. A lot of the fun in this game is the clash between different ideas and running with what other players have laid down. Its a little different from other games of its genre, so this can be a little hard to grok at first, just trust that this will make more sense when we start seeing the spring cards.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 5, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

TheCog posted:

I'm going to caution against wordlbuilding, this game has a very rigid architecture of how we discover and create as the game goes on, and establishing too much ahead of time spoils the impact of discussions and discoveries. For example, at some point in spring, its likely we'll have a discussion about "Who in our society is the most respected and why?", if we've already established that, then the discussion loses a lot of its potency. There's also a lot of cards that let players straight up decide facts like this, which means that if we establish them ahead of time, we strip players of their autonomy. A lot of the fun in this game is the clash between different ideas and running with what other players have laid down. Its a little different from other games of its genre, so this can be a little hard to grok at first, just trust that this will make more sense when we start seeing the spring cards.

By worldbuilding I meant community building and working on my basic ideas :) Thanks for clarifying that though!

I like the idea of the community being a floating town that has slowly been growing. Gives a reason for sticking around, they can't exactly pilot a group of scrapped together house platforms up the river. Currently "anchored" near the strand or city.

I'll think on a Resource

goodness fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 5, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Resource: Insects

The humid warmth has created a fertile breeding ground for biting flies, mosquitoes, and other nuisance bugs. They spread disease and pestilence. They damage our grasses, maize and other crops. However, some species, like the crickets, cicadas and dragonflies, have become a valuable source of protein in these desperate times. Scarcity has taught us to do away with many unnecessary taboos.

(Are we supposed to do a map feature, also?)

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Just making sure I can understand this correctly, insects are now an important part of the game?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

As far as I understand, yes. For good or ill, they are something we'll have to think about now.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Ooooookay.

I pick boats.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Resource: Potable Water

Anyone ever see Pirates of the Dark Water as a kid? The black water was kind of a sentient, spreading corruption that pulled you under if you touched it and definitely was not drinkable.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Resource: Flotsam

All kinds of stuff comes up from the depths! Mostly wood and junk though. But hey, gotta build things out of something right?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Just a reminder, since its easy to overlook

Once we've each picked a resource, we pick one to be in abundance, and the rest to be a scarcity.

Also, once I have everyone's email for the board I can talk about the next phase, which is adding a feature.

For my resource I'm picking Optimism

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Are we waiting on someone's resource or should we vote on abundances and scarcities?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Nope, we're good to go, I was going to post earlier but the site went down!

We need to decide one abundance between

Boats
Insects
Optimism
Flotsam
Potable Water

I vote for flotasm, because I think insects would be an interesting scarcity. Maybe our community has this thing going where insects are somehow tied to their belief in ancestors, and the scarcity is causing them worry, as its a bad portent. Or maybe the absence of insects is a sign that the climate is really changing and a portent of bad things to come. I like the idea of this dower community lacking resources, where everything looks grim, and how things start to shape up... or don't depending.

At this point we should each add a feature to the map. When you add it, please write a small summary saying what the feature is. Once that's done we'll start with spring. I'll add mine at some point tomorrow because its late here and i'm phone posting.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

TheCog posted:

Nope, we're good to go, I was going to post earlier but the site went down!

We need to decide one abundance between

Boats
Insects
Optimism
Flotsam
Potable Water

I vote for flotasm, because I think insects would be an interesting scarcity. Maybe our community has this thing going where insects are somehow tied to their belief in ancestors, and the scarcity is causing them worry, as its a bad portent. Or maybe the absence of insects is a sign that the climate is really changing and a portent of bad things to come. I like the idea of this dower community lacking resources, where everything looks grim, and how things start to shape up... or don't depending.

At this point we should each add a feature to the map. When you add it, please write a small summary saying what the feature is. Once that's done we'll start with spring. I'll add mine at some point tomorrow because its late here and i'm phone posting.

Did some thinking and I can agree with this. A lack of insects creates all sorts of problems re: agriculture and also if we have superstitions about it it would be bad times all around??? And an abundance of flotsam indicates that while there might be someone out there in the water, things are not going well for them! Like, at all! :ohdear:

Will think on a feature and post/add it shortly.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Another vote for flotsam and for having a community of pessimistic, thirsty, boatless waterfolk.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Feature: The Old Boneyard

Mausoleums and monuments to the lost and loved stand in silent remembrance -- another luxury lost. Moss, mushrooms and mold have the run of the place these days, but some of the weathered inscriptions on the artfully-carved headstones are still legible, if one were to feel the need to pay their respects. Unfortunately the ground in this reverent place isn't as dry as it once was...

The sheer ornamentation of the still-standing statues suggests that these folk may have been buried with their material possessions, but would any dare rob the graves of their own long-ago kin?

(hope i'm doing this right!)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

Feature: The Old Boneyard

Mausoleums and monuments to the lost and loved stand in silent remembrance -- another luxury lost. Moss, mushrooms and mold have the run of the place these days, but some of the weathered inscriptions on the artfully-carved headstones are still legible, if one were to feel the need to pay their respects. Unfortunately the ground in this reverent place isn't as dry as it once was...

The sheer ornamentation of the still-standing statues suggests that these folk may have been buried with their material possessions, but would any dare rob the graves of their own long-ago kin?

(hope i'm doing this right!)

Yep, this is the right way to do it!

Feature: The Madman's Raft

No one knows who he is, or how he got here. But here he lives. He rides around the swamp, refusing to join civilized society. His rickety wooden raft is also his home. He survives by trading with local communities, trading potions and trinkets, charms and prophecy for basic necessities. All kind of superstitions follow the Madman. Is he harmless, or is there something to his frantic search for the "Last Words"?

Regardless, the Madman is as much a part of the ecosystem as the fish...

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Feature: The Egg

In the way back times, they say the Egg had been a shelter. When the rains came and didn't stop and the waters rose to cover the world, the people fled to it. Lived in it. Died in it. It was a house for warriors and a fortress against the world. Now it sits, abandoned, surrounded by deep water. Now it is little more than shiny, white dome peeking out from crashing waves. Nothing grows on top of it. Perhaps something grows within it.

After all, it is called the Egg. And there's always something inside eggs, right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll get my feature up by the end of tonight.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Feature: The Mute Thinker

The Mute Thinker stares longingly towards the South East. An old old and rather immense statue but particularly weathered. Some days smoke is seen rising from around the base.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Feature: The Whirling Doom

Discovered soon after the fall of civilization, this deep whirlpool has been a dark spot on the map. At first it was just a minor nuisance, pulling what little resources were available away from the community and into its depths. After a time it was observed that the whirlpool was growing larger and more intense. Nowadays it holds the name The Whirling Doom, exerting it's vast pull on anything that mistakenly drifts too close. Many a family has woken to the roaring sound of the whirlpool sucking them under,having forgotten to anchor at night.

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Features look good!

UnCO3 has kindly set up our deck, so that's here: https://app.roll20.net/join/1066752/d-BniA

We've decided that our abundance is Flotsam, so our resources currently look like this:

Abundance
Flotsam

Scarcity
Boats
Insects
Optimism
Potable Water

The map looks like this

I drew the first card, and got

quote:

Where does everyone sleep? Who is unhappy with this arrangement and why?

OR

What natural predators roam this area? Are you safe?

The valley used to be safe, before the flood, but with the water something sinister moved into the valley. At first it started with missing people, attributed to those being swept off by the Doom, but the numbers soon grew, it had to be something else. Then one of our hunters came back, carrying the corpse of a deformed and horrible creature. He claimed it had taken two of its sons in its tentacles and drowned them before he could spear it to death. The creature resembles nothing more than the mix of a crocodile and an octopus, eight long tentacles paired with a long body and a row of sharp teeth. Its preferred technique seems to be to lie in ambush and drown its pray, which includes us...

(I added some tentacles to the map to represent this!)

Now I must choose to Start a project, Discover something or Hold a discussion, as a rule of thumb, Projects are how we solve issues, Discoveries are how we complicate things, and Discussions are how we assess where we're at.

Action – Start a Project: With the swamp flooded as it is, and lacking potable water, we need to find an alternate source of water. Some of our best hunters will venture into the city to see if there's a source of clean water there, or a way to purify water.

We all need to vote on how long this project will take. Because of the scope of the project, I think 3 weeks is a reasonable time to scout.

Once that's done the next person it turn order can go. Using the magic of random.org's list randomizer, the order is

TheCog
Tyrannosaurus
Someone Awful!
stevey666
goodness

Once we've decided on a time, Tyrannosaurus feels free to draw a card!

TheCog fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2015

• Locked thread