Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
The Martian looks like your standard big budget summer flick, but after reading that thread in CD about it, it seems like it's actually a movie for lovely Reddit neckbeards who do this all day

http://youtu.be/pYrRqMHQY7o

Also I heard the book has the main character create a unit of measurement called "pirate ninjas" so it can't be a good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
it's legal and pseudoacceptable way for animal fuckers to slake their lusts, much like a lot of anime is for paedophiles

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is it better or worse than their interstellar thread

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It's probably a fine movie don't disenchant yourself too hard op

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nadir posted:

Also I heard the book has the main character create a unit of measurement called "pirate ninjas" so it can't be a good book

This sentence just killed my interest.

I'll probably still see it cause Ridley Scott made it.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
i thought it had already released, turned pirate bay inside out just to try and find it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

BelgianWaffle posted:

i thought it had already released, turned pirate bay inside out just to try and find it

It came out yesterday

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It wasn't my OP was it? :(

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
RIIIIIIIIIDELY SCOOTCH

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
See Sicario instead. It's pretty good and intense.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
You will like the book/film if you are fascinated by realistic space travel and NASA poo poo.

I myself only find that stuff mildly interesting, so I found the book mostly a bore. It's essentially realistic descriptions of one technical problem after another in an obnoxious cutesy tone.

This is the form the book takes, which is told in the first person:

Stranded mars dude: Oh no, I lost one of my oxygen tanks! By my calculation, I will run out of breathable air in (insert number) days, unless...(insert boring description of supposedly clever solution out of this problem.)

*later*

Stranded mars dude: Wow, my solution worked, but I'm now presented with another problem!

repeat endlessly

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
men are from mars and women are from venus, imo

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
yeah i'm gonna go see a movie whose poster is a picture of matt damon cocking one of his loving eyebrows at me while wearing a space helmet

i'm gonna patronize THAT

gently caress this movie and gently caress him

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cram me sideways posted:

yeah i'm gonna go see a movie whose poster is a picture of matt damon cocking one of his loving eyebrows at me while wearing a space helmet

i'm gonna patronize THAT

gently caress this movie and gently caress him

settle down beavis

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked the book, and Matt Damon is a very likeable actor, so I bet the movie will be good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Ooh it's Robinson Crusoe with Skype and set on Mars let's jerk off now"

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
movie is great until the last sequences where it becomes kinda bullshit

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
"Heh! Can you believe it? Me, Matt Damon, stranded on Mars? How wild. Better roll up my sleeves and get to work. And maybe work in a lil' bit of the ol' Damon charm, heh heh."
                         /

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I listened to the audiobook when it first came out. It was fine, but it felt like it needed heavy editing and that makes sense once you realise it's a book a nerd wrote on his blog and then afterwards published as an amazon ebook. Anyway, I'm expecting the movie script will have heavily edited the book and as such I'm gonna see it, even tho r. scott isn't what he once was, his movies still look good. Interstellar was awful and very disappointing on the visual side, story was to be expected, I thought, whereas Gravity took me by surprise with a terrible story but amazing visuals. Right now I'm thinking of the Martian as a sort of not-as-good big budget Moon, I doubt I'll be disappointed, because I'm really only expecting cool spacesuits, martian vistas and a whole buncha potatoes.

edit: MAAATT DAAAMOON

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The last Matt Damon movie I saw was Elysium.

Audiences have such a boner for hard sci-fi lately.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Here is Matt Damon, being handsome on a soundstage in front of a greenscreen reciting dialogue that no loving person would ever utter in real life.

Eat your popcorn and laugh, you loving scum. You love science, don't you, you fat loving moron. Gosh, yes; NASA is great. They work in space! Space!!!! We're going to make you feel so smart by the time the credits roll. But don't worry - we made Mr. Damon act silly like a retarded monkey a couple of times just so you know this is alllllll an adventure. An adventure into your god drat loving wallet give it here give it GIVE ME YOUR loving MONEY YOU PIECE OF poo poo DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MATT DAMON COSTS

Space! He's on Mars! Come to the theaters! We despise each and every one of you.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

cram me sideways posted:

Here is Matt Damon, being handsome on a soundstage in front of a greenscreen reciting dialogue that no loving person would ever utter in real life.

Eat your popcorn and laugh, you loving scum. You love science, don't you, you fat loving moron. Gosh, yes; NASA is great. They work in space! Space!!!! We're going to make you feel so smart by the time the credits roll. But don't worry - we made Mr. Damon act silly like a retarded monkey a couple of times just so you know this is alllllll an adventure. An adventure into your god drat loving wallet give it here give it GIVE ME YOUR loving MONEY YOU PIECE OF poo poo DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MATT DAMON COSTS

Space! He's on Mars! Come to the theaters! We despise each and every one of you.

go to cd and please don't ever come back

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
"I Knew About the Water On Mars Months Ago," Says Ridley Scott, Yawning

quote:

Ridley Scott’s new movie about Mars won’t feature the planet’s running water, as announced Monday by NASA, but it’s not because he didn’t know it was there. Because he did, months before you, actually, so thank you for asking.

It’s unclear how the New York Times discovered Scott had an inside track at NASA—maybe the reporter asked him, “Did you know about the water on Mars ahead of time,” or maybe Scott, I don’t know, humbly volunteered the information. But either way, Ridley Scott definitely knew before you did, in case you were wondering.

NASA surprised the world on Monday with its announcement that it had found water on Mars. This wasn’t news, though, to the director Ridley Scott, whose latest film, “The Martian,” opens on Friday, and revolves around the struggles of a stranded astronaut and botanist, played by Matt Damon, to survive on the red planet by himself for more than a year.

Mr. Scott said in an interview with The Times on Monday that the head of NASA had shown him the photos of the water about two months ago, and that had the news come out before production of “The Martian” began, it probably would have affected key plot points in the film.
In fact, he tells Yahoo News, he kind of helped find the water: “When I first talked to NASA, we got into all kinds of stuff and I said, ‘So I know you’ve got down there [these] massive glaciers.’ And he said, ‘Yeah, that the massive white thing [on the surface of Mars] that gets covered with dust, we think that’s ice,’And I said, ‘Wow! Does that mean there was an ocean?’ Are we right now what Mars was 750 million years ago?’ And they went, ‘Uh, good question.’ So they want to go up there and find out.”

See—even though Ridley Scott’s Mars movie is technically inaccurate, it’s not because he didn’t know in advance about the water. Because he did. He knew the whole time. So crazy, right?

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Nefarious posted:

get hosed you old queen

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

This, but I'm the guy doing calculations and making charts and showing them in the background while Cram Me Sideways screams at you

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nefarious posted:

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

The Martian posted:

Chapter 1

LOG ENTRY: SOL 6

I’m pretty much Matt Damon

That’s my considered opinion.

Matt. Damon.

Six days into what should be the greatest two months of my life, and it’s turned into a nightmare.

I don’t even know who’ll read this. I guess someone will find it eventually. Maybe a hundred years from now.

For the record . . . I didn’t die on Sol 6. Certainly the rest of the crew thought I did, and I can’t blame them. Maybe there’ll be a day of national mourning for me, and my Wikipedia page will say, “Matt Damon is the only human being to have died on Mars.”

And it’ll be right, probably. ’Cause I’ll surely die here. Just not on Sol 6 when everyone thinks I did.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Gaunab posted:

See Sicario instead. It's pretty good and intense.

i saw the martian last night and wish I'd seen Sicario instead

it wasn't awful, but it was predictable and boring

Buddyleet
Jun 5, 2004
The Walking Man
Matt Damon.....

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i'm f#cking matt damon

lmao did you guys see that it really tickled me

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Mozi posted:

men are from mars and women are from venus, imo

what were those two cultures like before they met? Like how did either reproduce on their home planets before they came to earth?

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots
a lot of you guys are really fuckin angry about matt damon and books

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Luvcow posted:

what were those two cultures like before they met? Like how did either reproduce on their home planets before they came to earth?

it actually means that when god created man he used material from mars for men and from venus for women

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i kinda want to see the martian and sicario but last night i saw black mass instead. i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it was pretty good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Isn't first mistake reading CD movie nerd posts?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

the great deceiver posted:

i kinda want to see the martian and sicario but last night i saw black mass instead. i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it was pretty good

Instead of going to the theaters I'm at home watching Paycheck on netflix and I have no regrets.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Affe mk2 posted:

a lot of you guys are really fuckin angry about matt damon and books

i guess you could say I'm MAD about Matt Damon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real message of Interstellar is you must kill Space matt damon.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
the nerd stuff was annoying but I guess only nerds go into space anyway so who cares
it's probably fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I am so god damned sick of these kinds of movies. It makes it so clumsy to talk about.

The The Martian thread. The The Hobbit discussion The The Godfather review. I've just loving had it.

• Locked thread