Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
As the subject says, this is the place to post whatever oddball fantasy species you have come up with. Doesn't matter what system, mechanics are optional, if you have them, feel free to post them, but don't feel obligated to have them.

I've been sitting on a two races I came up with for a D&D game that unfortunately kind of died out. I figured I might as well share them in case anyone else could get some mileage out of the ideas.

The first is, physiology wise, the equivalent to thri-kreen but for moths. Big ole anthropomorphic moths. I don't have a good name for them, namely because Metroid Prime 2 already snagged the ideal name of "Luminoth".

Now, the culture is where this race gets interesting. Moths use light for navigation, it's why the get absolutely befuddled by artificial sources of light. Metaphorically speaking, one might consider this to represent truth and falsehood for them. Drawing from that, these moth-people have developed a religion based around the notion of a single objective Truth, which they heavily use light as a metaphor for. One Light, one Truth.

However, as happens with many religions, there was eventually a schism: the Many Lights Heresy. The followers of this heresy proposed that there is not a singular objective truth, but that you must define what truth is for yourself. There are many lights, many potential truths out there. But the one that matters is the one you chose for yourself.

Like many religious schisms, this was a rather bloody affair, made worse by the fact that this race was incredibly skilled with light and shadow based magic. Their capital ends up getting wiped out in the equivalent of a light based magical nuke (leaving a bizarre and dangerous magical fallout. Similar to Ebberon's Mournland but focused around light and shadow) during the height of this religious civil war and now the exist in scatter monasteries, still bitterly divided along religious lines.

The second race is based around wanting a plant race that was actually technology focused. It didn't take long before I settled on vines as the ideal candidates. The physiology of this species is interesting. They're sapient vines, which can make movement and interaction a bit difficult. So... they built skeletons. Crude at first, but over the years becoming more complex and versatile, they create frame for themselves, their vines acting as the muscles in a sense.

Culturally, they very much reflect the type of plant they are. Vines spread everywhere, and this race is very imperialistic. Essentially, imagine Britain back during the height of their empire, but populated by vines. They're in the midst of an industrial revolution and, in the setting I had planned them for, the most technologically advanced race.

I came up with the name "Kudzans" for them, but felt that might be a bit too on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread