Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Terraria

The short version; Terraria is sort of like a 2d “Minecraft”, but with a shitload more content and much more to it. What the game lacks in 3d, it makes up for with a lot more interesting content and gameplay mechanics than Minecraft even now currently has. It also has elements from a lot of old 2d platform games, as well as control over the world allowing you to shape it as you wish. I like both Minecraft and Terraria for a lot of different reasons for both. Ether way, this thread is not a discussion for Minecraft or all of that.

Read up about it here: Terraria
Buy it here: Steam
Current SA Thread: Thread

The play through:

I got the itch recently to play Terraria again. After screwing around with it for a while (a week or four) I decided to go into it fully. This play through will be played in Hardcore mode. That means that once my character dies, it gets deleted. But if I do die, it won't be the end of the play through. I'll make a new character for the world and start again. Everything in the world will be left in tact, but my character will have lost all items on hand, as well as any upgrades (health/mana) that were obtained so far. At some point it won't be feasible to continue on, as there are only so many life crystals that spawn in the world, but we'll see how I go.

Also the world will be set to expert mode. Basically everything will be hard and this play through may slow down here and there as I don't want to die anytime soon.

I will be solo video commentary(subtitled) at first. The first few days of the game are usually a bit slow and boring anyway. I am working on getting sound commentary going. Besides playing the game, I am screwing around with recording and editing. There are some speedups (boring parts) and slowdowns(action shots?) and normal speed parts.

I hope to do 1-3 videos a week, with recordings happening on a weekend. Then possibly some editing, converting/uploading and releasing through the week with the posts to be written out.

There is technically no end game, but I guess the “end game” goals will be to advance all the way through all the bosses, plus what ever else there is? I'll start by tracking what has been done, boss/progression wise, once one is actually killed. If anyone wants to help out pointing things out as to what to track and possibly adding to what will be the “end game” goals list, feel free. Though at the moment, I'll actually have to work towards getting through a few bosses without dying.

Half Blind Play through?

The last time I "beat" Terraria, I think the version was 1.0. Hell and the dungeon was the end boss if I remember correctly. Since then, there have been at least 2-3? major updates, changing a lot of stuff in in the world it self, as well as adding a HUGE amount of more stuff/items. There is a lot to keep going on and doing/gathering things after what was considered “the end” at the time of 1.0. So I will know what I am half doing, but there will be new things here and there and eventually I will be hitting points that I haven't dealt with before.

Goals:

Each run will consist of overall goals that I will be trying to achieve. There will be less goals later on, as at the start there is a hell of a lot more to get done, while later certain things can take up just one session, such as exploring a dungeon or something. Goals may not be finished in each session and will carry over/be updated as required.

They will also be overall goals and I will not be pointing out every single little thing/detail of the objectives that are required to be done. Something like “start doing daily fishing quests” for the first time, might involve; meeting the fishing quest giver, building him a house to move into, getting bait, crafting a fishing rod, finding what the daily is, doing it, handing it in for reward. That alone might take up most of a session.

Input:

I will be looking for commentary as to what to do next; building (where, what, how), where to go, what to gather/farm/kill, what to prep for etc. I know for the most part as to what progression path I should be on. But maybe there are things I forget, or don't know about, or maybe building houses for NPC's for 3 sessions straight is annoying?

Obviously, make sure what you're asking for is doable. Fighting the eye of cthulhu in copper armor because I happened to find his summoning item in a chest, is not feasible.

As well as thoughts on editing. As stated up top, besides playing and making a let's play, I am also learning to do stuff with editing videos. But I don't want to end up being too obnoxious. The first video is the sort of direction I was thinking of going, so let me know what works there and what doesn't.

Updates:

It's my first day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
It's my first day!: Youtube

Character:

Goals:
1. Gather lots of supplies (gel, wood, stone, ores, etc)
2. Build a house with required furnishings (crafting table, furnace, chests to store supplies)
3. Fortify said house against night attacks.
4. Acquire armor, Build a hammer, Make bow and arrows, upgrade and tools or weapons if feasible
5. Aquire an NPC (meet requirements to have first NPC other than tutorial guy show up)

Day No: 1
Starting Equipment:

NPC's arrived:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not too familiar with this game. So I took a look at the video... and stopped after a few minutes.

What I'm seeing is your character running around and slashing at random stuff like a maniac. Sometimes there's a subtitle prompt that says '2x speed', and that's about it. No explanation of anything that's going on. I guess you're gathering things. But what are you gathering and why? Are you going anywhere in particular right now? I wouldn't know.

An LP is not an LP unless you actually talk about the game, why you like it, etc. etc. And the part of the video I watched currently has none of that at all. I don't care whether you use subtitles or voice, but at least put something in. If I want to see a game without commentary, I'll watch a so-called "longplay". Or play it myself.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

Noted, I'll shut this down, get audio working and start again.

• Locked thread