Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just like in S1, plot points are picked up and resolved as superspeed. This opener was a bit too fast some some of the resolutions though. Flash dad could've been saved for another episode later and I didn't expect Jay to show up this early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The first episode was just too fast in setting up plot points. It just needs to slow down a bit. Particularly with the alternate universe stuff. If it saved it for next episode with the reveal of Jay, it probably would've been better

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I can't shake the feeling that she's going to turn evil, or has ulterior motives or something. Like, it went away a bit when she explained her motivation, but I'm still getting a "trying way to hard to get in with the good guys vibe."
Pun unintentional.

She's definitely going to try and intentionally murder the gently caress out of a bad meta at some point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I want Earth-2 Harrison Wells to be actual Harrison Wells, just hosed in the head due to traumatic/tragic events. Having him just be Thawne again would be boring. but having Cavanagh play a fundamentally different character allows them to cover new ground.

It's clearly the smug and confident and fun Wells we never quite got.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Theory: Eobard knows about Earth 2 and the Flash there because in the Future, a Flash of Two Worlds scenario also happened in their respective futures. Eobard recognizes the helmet and knows that some multiverse poo poo is starting to happen and needs to book it before a/the Flash shows up. This hypothetical event may have also involved Zoom (and I'd imagine Eobard not being particularly amenable to a team up with someone who'd just as likely kill him). That Zoom was defeated and at some point later was sent back into the past. Zoom is now sending mooks because he's trying to gauge the power of the Flash here without any risk to himself (this may be independent to the rest of the stuff I said before)

Alternate Theory: Zoom is setting up something and needs the Flashes distracted.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Drifter posted:

Has there ever been a girl Flash? Not some rando girl speedster, but a legit Flash-like girl character? Also, unless you weirdos wanting an Impulse character truly want some lovely 14 year old on the TV show like it's on the goddamn Disney channel or something, just let it be. :colbert:

There's the Flash from Tangent Earth that is, in fact, a girl. Except her powers are light based, not speed based but she can incidentally go super fast. Tangent Earth is also where Harvey Dent is Black and Superman who is a super powerful psychic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Superman was also Ted Kord but got hosed by lawyers

Kord Industries exists though. There's just no Ted as of yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm hoping this season is all about Earths 1 and 2, and then at the end of the season they close the big portal but all the little ones then go crazy and each one ends up linking to a different alternate Earth to set up the next season. I'm also really hoping that Barry is done with being a dick and can be a cheerful, optimistic super hero.

I'd wager the mid season finale is Barry getting trapped in Earth 2 or something and having to get back with the help of Wells

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I was bothered at first, but it's like Iris pointed out - Barry just hasn't been his normal self lately and it has everything to do with still carrying the guilt over the singularity's destruction. There are actually some deleted scenes from the first episode that are worth watching. I don't get why they were cut because two of them actually give a lot more clarity into Barry's grief, straight from his own mouth.

One with Henry and one with Joe.

These are amazing scenes and I can sorta get why they were left on the cutting room floor since they weren't part of the main plot, but I really do wish there was a rebroadcast with these in it or put up on Hulu or Netflix or something with these included in since they only improve the episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I dont know posted:

Except both Joe and Henry serve as Barry' conscience and do a much better job of it. This is on top of having less stilted, more dynamic relationship with Barry and being far more interesting characters on there own. I like Candice Patton and think her general likability is the only thing keeping Iris from being completely awful. Despite the writers trying a bunch of different directions for her in the first season Iris has always felt extraneous to the show. Aside from one or two conversations close to the end of last season, I think most of Irises stuff could be cut without any real loss.

She's the Lois Lane and there's no journalism angle she can leverage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Do want an Earth 3 episode with vigilante/cop Captain Cold and Heat Wave and villainous team Flash (drop the junkie bit of Johnny Quick though)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For anyone that's aware of really obscure comic book characters, there was a bit of foreshadowing in the names. Tokamak has the same name as his comic book counterpart, but I can't be arsed to see if they're both black. He's also a Firestorm villain whose original origin was trying to recreate the accident that made the first one. As for Jefferson Jackson, he was basically a minor character and one of Ronnie's friends. :eng101:

Otoh, King Shark appeared and it's wonderful. Also, the Iris's mom subplot is actually going somewhere since it seemed to be utterly irrelevant beforehand (it still is if it doesn't lead into Wally West or something).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Because Grodd loves us and wants us to be happy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

That and Iris:

"I'm guessing this is another in a long line of grievances with my counterpart."

"Her fiance killed himself to stop you."

"...oh."

Okay I'm not sure that's how it went down but the delivery on "oh" was loving perfect.

It's not just the delivery ofthe line, it's him just turning around and walking back into the lab as soon as he says it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

He could still go. In fact, when Iris suggested that Crisco could help I thought she meant he could drive Barry to the restaurant. That's what a normal person would do. He's seen a doctor, he knows his vision will be fine within a few hours, just go on your date.

I was actually expecting sitcom style (which is basically where the date seems straight out of) shenanigans with Cisco going on a double date and helping Barry along.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

I will say, it was odd that he knew Cisco's powers would work if he touched the helmet without knowing what Cisco's power was at that point, unless Cisco gets powers in all universes and that's what allows his vibe power to function.

Edit: Is the Vibe ever a villain?

Vibe has always been a good guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wait. Is this really a thing?

It's something we all wish for in our hearts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I think everybody has some sort of music or dance background between the two shows except for Amell. But I'm sure he can dance around and have fun while Grant and John sing their butts off for us.

He'll do what Batman did in the Music Meister and provide exposition, and eventually save the day while everyone's trapped singing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Tony Todd is doing the voice of Zoom until the reveal of his identity this time around.

Also while it's still fun here's hoping next season they jump off this "WHO IS THE MYSTERY SPEEDSTER" schtick, cause if next season we've got like adult Bart Allen running around do-gooding and we're playing this game a third time I'll check out.

Zoom is Earth-2 Bart Allen so we can just go straight to him!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd imagine Zoom is probably the tip of the iceberg and Flash might have the reverse of the situation in Arrow, such that the Flash will be faced with multiple supervillains simultaneously as opposed to Arrow's multiple masks taking on a single villain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shadow Cabinet for S3 villains. Alternatively, just take stuff from Milestone comics and figure out how to adapt it to Central City.

Other alternative, keep borrowing villains from other heroes like Arrow does. Dr. Siavanna, Hank Henshaw, Maxwell Lord, the Brotherhood of Evil, Eclipso, Parasite, Calculator, Dr. T. O. Morrow all could work as future overarching Flash villains

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

lotus circle posted:

From what I understand, Milestone is getting back together for their own things now, so any of their characters might need to be negotiated.

T. O. Morrow and Maxwell Lord are set to appear on Supergirl. Personally I'd love to see Professor Ivo and Amazo appear in CW - it'd be the perfect villain now that we have so many heroes.

Unfortunately, Ivo and AMAZO have already appeared on Arrow so they're out. Anyways, it's not as though they can't repurpose characters to suit the needs of the series: Count Vertigo went from a literal count and nemesis of Green Arrow to a drug dealer, Clock King used to be a guy obsessed with clocks rather than a precision mastermind, Atom Smasher, and so on.

I'd love to see just about anything from the Doom Patrol show up, but they're likely way too goofy for the CW without changes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope Trickster (either) returns soon and we get more than a single episode in the season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They're using a vaguely Avengers-ish font for that "Heroes Join Forces" thing. I'm super wary about how all this will go since it could be really amazing or a terrible mess. I know everything's been good so far, but I can't help but acknowledge the possibility of it potentially failing to stick the landing.

On the other hand, I don't think we'll ever get a proper Gorilla City episode if only because the budget would be wiped after that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Zoom is Jesse's mother. That's why she's being kept alive.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Could start as a crossover thread then turn into the Legends of Tomorrow thread.

Alternatively, we could just have a single Arrowverse thread.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

He referred to how similar the two Earths were and I think Cisco or Caitlin asked him if they had giant psychic gorillas and he said yes. Unless I am misremembering.

They were talking about taking gorillas not psychic ones.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AshB posted:

Endpoint? I didn't see it that way at all. I'm pretty sure Grodd is not on good terms with the denizens of Gorilla City in other media, and I could see him somehow manipulating his fellow gorilla kind to get revenge in the show. This whole episode was setup for Grodd to have a reason to hate Caitlin, who he'll see as "betraying him" by deceptively banishing him to another dimension. Am I the only one who saw the episode as leaving room for follow-up stories?

There's a lot of room for follow up from that stinger, but I doubt there's enough room in the budget to make an episode out of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

So they are doing the reincarnation version and not the alien version. Probably more budget friendly. Otoh, Savage seems to have replaced Hath-Set.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The way Wells went off about how he'd promised Grodd the city while Caitlin and Cisco are giving each other these what-the-hell looks leaves me wondering whether Wells had some kinda sinister schemes for whatever his version of Grodd was in Earth 2.

Nah. He was just that good at acting like Wells-1. They were just spooked at how much he resembled his doppleganger in that instance.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Honestly I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Smallville began it's life as a Batman show.

Watching the team up trailer again it really irks me that they're calling it HEROES JOIN FORCES when there's so many things from old DC books they could use.

There's not a whole lot of good team names that don't have a mostly fixed roster or "Justice" in its name. The Heroes Join Forces thing irks me because it looks like the same font The Avengers logo is written. The Brave and the Bold was already used iirc as an episode title and World's Finest is basically reserved for Batman and Superman or in playing off of the duo with associated characters (ex: Robin and Superboy, Batgirl and Supergirl, Catwoman and Power Girl).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wherever the Ollie's illegitimate kid thing is going, it's probably totally unnecessary and should've been replaced with more smug Malcom.

twistedmentat posted:

Thanks Barry!
Dude...

Best way to reveal someones identity.

Also, I want to believe that Sisco and Felicity messed up the hi-five and they kept it in because it was awesome.

I want to know what Sisco would call Thea.

Arrowette

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

It is really, really hard to put up with this show and Arrow when they oscillate wildly between the main characters chumping for bad guys and having insane reality distorting bullshit powers.

Also why did the Wells plot exist? Did that accomplish anything? Did Garrick have some sort of union contract that demanded a certain amount of screen time?

A: to introduce Velocity 6 for later use
B: to pull Patti into the fold or at least start on it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

So the reincarnation/starting as Egyptian priests angle was introduced relatively recently (around 2000 I think) in JSA in order to try and get the continuity straight. Previously there had been a golden age Hawkman and a silver age Hawkman from space, but because of different events and series the timelines got all muddled such that they had to have two Hawkmen from space arriving at different times while the golden age Hawkman "came out of retirement" to fill in some gaps.

The reincarnation thing was a way to explain why there were multiple completely unconnected dudes who got the idea to dress as a Hawk and fight crime at different points.

This should make it easy to understand:

Flashpoint happened recently and Hawkman is back to being a dude with Nth Metal stuff and a general hardass.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, his problem isn't lack of trust. Ollie is someone who has lost everything. His dad, his mom, his best friend Tommy, his mentor and confidante Maseo, his two lovers (Shado and Sarah), his company, his fortune. So he's taking an ultra-conservative approach and doesn't want to rock the boat that's his relationship with Felicity. His keeping secrets is a type of extreme loss-aversion. He is a deeply troubled individual and his actions consistently reflect that.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the latest turn of events that introduced his son and ex-gf. The show is just so much better without any relationship drama, and that's part of the reason this season has been good so far. Hopefully that doesn't change during the second half.

Seriously. The shows work better when they're copying all of the good parts of cape comic books. i.e. Action, hammy villains, quips, intrigue and so forth. They're absolutely at their worst when they try and do the stuff those comic books tend to be bad at. i.e. Relationship drama.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That double looks really cute.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Flarrowgends of Constantomorrowverse.

DCWU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Jonah Hex is almost certain I feel. I'd love for the Demon Knights to appear since in the comics Vandal is actually on that team.

I need to find that page again where he's so overjoyed to see dinosaurs because he missed eating them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Booster Gold is on permanent creative exile because some DC exec has a boner for the character and doesn't want him portrayed for some reason iirc. IDK how the hell they ever got him on Smallville

Also he's is reserve for the (un)inevitable Blue Beetle film/series.

Ystin the Shining Knight would be cool to see and Sgt Rock and/or the Creature Commandos havn't made an appearance yet iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

It's could work if he follows the same pattern as Zoom, where his influence is seen in every episode, but he only appears personally on rare occasions. Considering that mind control is Grodd's thing, it would be easy to just send waves of cheap-to-film humans in his place until the expensive finale.

Alternatively, he could do a reverse Ultra Humanite and have a brain transplant into a (meta)human body

• Locked thread