Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Reposting from the old thread, Jay and Barry together in costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I wonder, since even the Mayor of the city legitimised 'Flash Day' and all, and with all the merchandise, if maybe there's like 'Flash tourism' now.

Edit: Also having just finished the episode, I find it a bit odd they didn't just like, have Henry say that whilst he was glad Barry has found a purpose to his life, he himself just wasn't comfortable staying in the city where his wife was murdered and wanted a new start elsewhere. I get, he's Flash-Dad, but the man's allowed some personal motivations.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 7, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So did they just kind of gloss over Team Flash straight up killing a dude? No one seemed to be bothered by it.

Barry is at least apologetic, though only mildly so. I do hope they find some kind of alternative. I mean, Cisco works with the police outright now - so you'd think if he was given the budget, he'd be able to convert some cells as needed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Well... in theory the thing with Atom Smasher as a 'villain' this episode is that he just had to be willing to kill one man, and then he could go home. I mean, I dunno why he killed his alternate self (desperation after being spotted?), but in theory, he could have been a hero back home (whether he came from Earth-2 or somewhere else), but was tempted enough by Zoom's offer so as to become a threat.

...Man imagine if after getting his hat back, Jay asked if anyone had seen his good friend Al around.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Spergatory posted:

Characters being charming in the background does a lot to make all this exposition palatable.

The whole thing with Zoom snatching rogues from the other universe reeks of bad plot device though. I want him to want something else. Villains who just want to kill the hero are the most boring kind of villains.

I think there's potential it if the writers remember/consider that what Zoom wants and offers won't always necessarily align wth what the metahuman goon wants. For example, they may have an incredible power that could totally kick Barry's rear end, but they're a total pacifist and so have to be broken down into desperation before they'll fight. Alternatively, one might decide that Zoom's offer is pointless because they don't want to go home - or otherwise aren't bothered enough by the idea to go after Barry, instead trying to eke out a new life (of crime) in a city that doesn't yet know what they can do.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

And in the show he can run near the speed of light.

I kinda figured that was him just being colloquial, rather than literal. I mean, its hyperbolic by several orders of magnitude otherwise.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

But then why send others after Barry? If they do kill him he doesn't get that speed.

I wonder if its something to do with Earth 1 itself.

Like, the current assumption floating about is that Zoom somehow stole Jay's speed, but I wonder if its something to do with Earth 1 that's done that - and Zoom has, somehow, figured out what that is, and so is trying to avoid being caught out by it. So rather than spend say, even five minutes racing around finding Barry, which could be all that's needed to lose his abilities (similar to how Thawne was able to retain some of his super speed long enough to fight alternate Barry, but quickly lost every ounce shortly thereafter), he'll just use a few seconds to toss in the occasional metahuman and try to get them to deal with it on his behalf.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

zoux posted:

This article makes a really good point and I'm not sure why this doesn't get brought up more.

...Not sure if linked in earnest or to troll, but to honestly answer either way:

Who travels several hours just to eat, and then spends several hours travelling back?

Because that's what it'd be like, even with Barry's speed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, this is the effects reel for the villains, but it turns out that their basic model for Jay is the classic jeans and shirt :3:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Rita Repulsa :colbert:

fake edit: She's Earth-2 Iris :haw:

...You know what, I'm actually kinda interested in a twist like that. Let Candice Patton ham it up.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I kinda wouldn't be surprised if part of it was the whole 'derivative/original' issue that DC likes to play hard and fast with. By shifting the costumes onto slightly different characters, its probably even easier than usual to avoid paying royalties.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTdIbE86jbo

Extended trailer.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Caper posted:

I'm about to OD on comic book shows. Flash started off lame this year, but bounced back really quick. Arrow continues to make up for last year, and SHIELD is just great.
Now Jessica Jones is on and it's just as awesome as Daredevil was. I swear this is some kind of comic book TV show renaissance.

It basically is. Technology has advanced enough for them to be comparable to the movies without needing movie budgets, and the success of the MCU at large has proven that superheroes, especially those outside of major pop culture recognition - Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc - are very marketable.

What a time to be alive.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I'm curious why those chose 1975 in particular. Otherwise, drat this looks like it'll be fun. This is the equivalent of an event comic in TV form.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

"You guys are the best people for the job" is usually what you tell the rag-tag group of misfits who you got stuck with in order to boost their confidence. Even odds that there is a more pressing reason that he chose them other than that they are literally the best people in history for the job (especially when you have Flash and Green Arrow in the same time who already associate with and lead half these guys).

Could be that Rip got his hands on some supercomputer that is clearly not a mother box that told him exactly who he needed to have the optimal chance of stopping Savage and saving the future... and it told him it was these people. Now he has to figure out how to get them to work together somehow because he'll take what he can get.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Save this for if and when he returns to the show.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know what it is about Canadian women but they tend to be incredibly hot. I'm pretty sure it has got to do with something in the water there.

Well, how else are they supposed to survive the Canadian winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I fully expect a giant spider in the show now.

• Locked thread