Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Inspector 34 posted:

Wait what? I must have missed something cuz I just remember they knocked him out of something. Thought I remembered a scene with him in meta-jail too.

I agree with you 100%, the finale of season 1 was very boring and not memorable at all. Let's hope the show is re-invigorated a little bit in Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Counter: Priyaka Chopra is hot

Basically the key to that show.

I'm really already dreading the incoming love triangle in this new season because of the horrible way it was done in the first season.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

You shouldn't believe in him Iris. He's poo poo at his job.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

So Ronnie's dead... again.

That was some dodgy effects work there.

Yeah, especially as Ronnie was flying up into the black hole. Usually the effects are spot on.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

So its what, the same dude from Earth 2 who was in the city at the time of the explosion and he became a metahuman?

:lol: Flash falters - he ran directly at him because he's lovely at being the Flash.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Gonna be that guy and say that this episode hasn't been good. Especially for a season premier.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

It was a setup episode so I'm not too concerned.

:lol: it was the season premiere.

This was flat out a bad episode and a bad way to start a season.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

Seems like you are in the minority

Probably true, as each episode passes I like this show less and less. I think I was one of the only people that thought the season 1 finale was blah.

I think I am also coming from a different perspective than a lot of people in this thread as well, because I haven't read any of these comics. So a guy showing up at the end of the episode saying "Hey I'm X" doesn't suddenly make the episode good to me.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Enemies that don't directly confront Barry aren't all that threatening. Unless they act through robot-bees, the villain's goons will be subdued and Barry can search every building in the city before Cisco can search for the guy's name on google. As for stopping bad guys without violence - I'm pretty sure beating up bad guys is one of the rules of being a superhero.

No one is a genuine threat to Barry unless they have powers that are greater or equal to his own - and how many people like that are really out there? Unless The Flash was a 3 episode season show like Sherlock where Barry could face off exclusively against mega-threats, he is going to have to job to villains who shouldn't stand a chance.

So you're point is that because Barry is so powerful instead of writing competently the writers should just throw their hands in the air and have Barry charge directly at a big muscly dude and get punched in the face?

I think that's idiotic but you're in luck, the writers appear to agree with you.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Patty already more likable than Iris

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Sieje posted:

Barry has a case of the assholes so far tonight though.

For good reason though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

drat dude he's killed two people already this season

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

:lol: 52 of them ok

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

TheLakers posted:

That was like eighty times better than the premier

Agreed. I'd like less monster of the week stuff but if they can keep it at this level its at least a little bit better. Also if Barry could stop murdering people without even a comment I'd appreciate it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

lotus circle posted:

Jay and Patty really stole the show for their introductions into the series. Glad a lot of the plot was focused around them.

I'm preemptively angry for when Barry dumps her for Iris.

Don't judge I need to have something to be angry about.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Drifter posted:

Why couldn't Jay Garrick shoot lightning but Barry can?

He could, his statement was that he never got a chance to use lightning to stop Sand Demon.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Along those lines, it's not really surprising that Iris is completely rehabilitated as a character by getting in on the secret. The same thing happened on Arrow; almost every problematic character was fixed by bringing them into the inner circle.

Secret identities are just bad plot mechanisms but for some reason DC leans on it super hard.

I wouldn't say she's been completely rehabilitated, she just isn't in-our-face-completely-awful so far. She feels like a non-factor so far in the first two episodes other than the trust speech to Barry.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

greatn posted:

If I had to choose between Candice and Caitlin I think I would be a turbonerd unable to make a decision or make a move just like Barry. This is assuming marriage vows don't apply when you are transported into a fictional universe and become a superhero.

I just thought the whole Barry/Caitlin thing was better because their actors seem to have much better chemistry than Barry/Iris. It's also a little annoyance that they force the idea of Barry loving Iris down your throat in season 1 without any good reason for it because they have no chemistry and she is just awful.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The way they introduced her and made her very competent makes it seem like she will figure it out quickly.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

And we've seen what Iris does when Barry is dating someone.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This kind of goes back to a point I've brought up a number of times in this thread, but I feel like I'm expected to care about Iris simply because she's some famous character from the comics. It doesn't work at all if you don't watch the comics (at least for me). The show hasn't really showed any reason for why Barry needs to be in love with her or have her exist as a character other than she exists in the comic.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

They could have her actually add value to the team by using her skills as a journalist and investigative reporter to uncover facts and angles that can't be uncovered using Cisco's and Steins' technical skills. But that would require actual effort on part of the writers.

What skills as a journalist and investigative reporter?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Just saw it now, what a turd of an episode. Only thing worth anything was "Put your fins in the air!"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

We also have a rotating cast of Barry father figures moving in and out of the show when in season one at least we were consistent with just the two.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Right, but the exact phrasing is a really common stereotype about black people. Like, referencing that the dude is an athlete wasn't a bad thing at all, but the specific phrasing was a little eyebrow raising to a lot of people, hence the discussion of it.

Edit: it's kind of a textbook example of dogwhistle racism. Some folks are going to "hear" those typical connotations, while everyone else isn't and will be confused by the reaction.

Isn't dogwhistle racism when you cloak racism in innocuous language? So it isn't a textbook example, given that I don't think anybody in this thread believes that Stein (or the writers) were trying to be racist.

This isn't racism at all just poor phrasing that really isn't even that bad since one of the main things we know about the character was that he was a great high school quarterback who would have played college football.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 30, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Error 404 posted:

A funny thing about dog whistles though, they can often be repeated by well meaning folks who are ignorant of it's connotations, like for instance, a popular superhero TV show. So yes, pretty textbook.

This doesn't make any sense. A textbook example would be if Stein had no idea the kid was a quarterback and still said use your natural athletic ability. What actually happened isn't any sort of racism, at the very worst its tone-deaf and I wouldn't even go that far.

Regardless, this wasn't a stereotype repeated by someone that was well meaning but ignorant of the connotation. The guy was literally a quarterback.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 30, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Error 404 posted:

It is tone deaf because it's racist. Stein isn't racist, the show's writers are probably not racist, but that line absolutely was.

It absolutely was not but this is not really the place so I'm not going to go further. Machete is probably right anyways, what should be more concerning is we hit the underprivileged athlete / youth criminal stereotypes for the two Firestorm candidates.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

because it was........... blacked out.........

I'm sorry

edit: I assumed it was because it was something he did as a minor, but I can't recall if they mentioned when/how old he was at the time.

I believe they said it was a sealed juvenile record.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Is it? Again, it was a clumsy line, but if he'd said something like "it's just like moving your feet through a training drill" or whatever, something more specific, it wouldn't be discussed, and I seriously doubt the intention of the writers was any more than "have Stein encourage Jackson by making it feel like football." I feel like "gross and racist" are way more inflammatory terms than it really warrants.

I think he's talking about the whole episode, i.e. the underprivileged black football player and the black academic achiever with the sealed juvenile record. If you are talking about the "natural athleticism" line only that's clearly over the top because in the context of what we know in the episode it isn't racist at all.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

A little itchy on the trigger finger there Joe

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

When Cisco knows you hosed up with a woman, you got problems.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

What happened between Patty and Barry in the PD? My station cut to commercial early for some loving reason and then came back in while Cisco and Wells 2 were talking.

Barry asked her to dinner, she got excited but asked if this was going to be a situation where she gets excited but "science" comes up for Barry and he has to cancel, Barry said nope.

Which means something Flash is absolutely going to come up during their date.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Earth-2 Flash is a total gently caress-up. So at least that is constant between the two worlds.

Also, Spivot being really on the ball is great.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

X-O posted:

I'm glad whoever wrote this episode decided to get some poo poo done with their 40 minutes.

Finally.

Maybe the show really just needs Cavanagh.

Also Patty is the best I'm dreading how they end this.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Holy poo poo Barry just run behind her and punch her in the back of her loving head you're fast as gently caress

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I honestly believe that Barry got significant brain damage when he was struck by lightning but nobody wants to tell him so he runs around as the Flash but doesn't really understand that he is super fast.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Is the barrista Hawkgirl?

ya

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

VanSanten is killing it as Patty.

For sure, I think I love her.

The writers have done a really good job showing why Barry should be interested in her, which is exactly the opposite of what they did with Iris in season 1.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder if by playing up Patty's detective ability means that she's gonna figure out Barry is the Flash once they get serious and then ~drama~

That seems like it is going to happen, but I don't think there will drama. The Patty we've seen so far seems like she would be excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I think also is supposed to be slap? Still doesn't make much sense though.

• Locked thread