Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

Creatures in the wild aren't typically in a state of high stress; otherwise, the obvious implication is that every living thing on the planet except for post-industrial humans and domesticated animals would be under constant stress, which we know to not be accurate. Of course, there's plenty of instances of momentary stress, that brief moment of panic when you spot movement in the brush and wonder if it's a predator or not, but that's not the kind of stress that really damages health much, and when it does, it's a small price to pay to be ready to escape potential physical danger (at least, before modern society mostly eliminated that danger). Rather, what's damaging to health, and what is more commonly understood by modern humans as "stress", is inescapable stress - things that disturb you enough to trigger your fight-or-flight response, but that can't be escaped just by fighting or fighting, so your body ends up constantly releasing largely useless hormones and chemicals for weeks or months because the human body doesn't really have a proper biological fear response for "your company has announced massive layoffs and your job could be lost at any time" or "your home was broken into and your most important possession was stolen".

The point of the stress response is that your body is readying itself for quick action so you can either run away from whatever's distressing you or stab it with a sharp object. Since you can't do those things to the stresses of modern society, you stay distressed, and your body respinds to that distress by continuing to pump out chemicals trying to keep you alert and energetic and ready to fight off or flee from a stress that can't be fought off or fled from. As a result, your body ends up wearing itself out and generating various chemical imbalances as it struggles to maintain your biological "emergency" mode for far longer than any creature would typically need to in the wild. In other words, it's not a universal design to "be chill", it's just a result of the human fear response only really being appropriate for dealing with predators, hunts, and immediate short-term danger - the sustained mental misery of modern society isn't something it's really suited to handle, so your body tries too hard to cope and ends up overstraining itself.

Ok. That seems legitamite and reasonable in every way. But how about this

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0114/090114-Quantum-mechanics-explains-efficiency-of-photosynthesis

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_hand_syndrome

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

What do these things have to do with each other?

An important point is that ultimately; if you can't design a test that discriminates between two states then the states are identical. This is a fundamental part of science and it explains why its a waste of time to contemplate if we're in a video game. If you can't design a test to determine if you're in a video game then its a meaningless distinction. Similar; what test do you create to determine if free will is real? You can't make one and that's a sign that it isn't important to anything.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 8, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Salt Fish posted:

Each other? Nothing. Much of nature, and our natures is a complete mess. But its an elegantly mathematical mess.

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 8, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

What about them? They're both perfectly understandable, and have no need for supernatural explanations. Quantum physics playing a role in physical processes is not some huge groundbreaking concept, and if you think alien hand syndrome is weird then you clearly haven't even scratched the surface of all the crazy impairments that can be caused by localized brain damage.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

What about them? They're both perfectly understandable, and have no need for supernatural explanations. Quantum physics playing a role in physical processes is not some huge groundbreaking concept, and if you think alien hand syndrome is weird then you clearly haven't even scratched the surface of all the crazy impairments that can be caused by localized brain damage.

Alright. You win. Dark matter isn't just terra incognita that we'll clear away by simply flying nearer it with FTL spacecraft

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If we are, does it matter?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

There are a couple people in my life like this. People who ask questions that are answerable by explanations informed by testable/repeatable/reliable processes, but choose to swipe their arm across the table and disregard several hundred years of effort and scientific inquiry and simply decide to believe in something hokey. Feels better that way.

Is it a we-need-to-teach-critical-thinking-in-high-school type of issue?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

duodenum posted:

There are a couple people in my life like this. People who ask questions that are answerable by explanations informed by testable/repeatable/reliable processes, but choose to swipe their arm across the table and disregard several hundred years of effort and scientific inquiry and simply decide to believe in something hokey. Feels better that way.

While I initially thought this was the OP's issue, his posting is honestly making me think that he has some psychological disorder (either that or he's posting while really high). It's extremely disjointed and difficult to follow.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"Critical thinking" is the "God of the Gaps" of empirical materialism.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pegged Lamb posted:

When I said you reminded me of the schizophrenia thread, I wasn't making fun of you or anything. I honestly think you should see a doctor because you sound like you're staggering dangerously close into turning into the next Kyoon.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Pegged Lamb posted:

..what? Like, seriously, what? I'm not following the comparison at all.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
If were in a computer game then how come the women aren't more scantily clad?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Main Paineframe posted:

When I said you reminded me of the schizophrenia thread, I wasn't making fun of you or anything. I honestly think you should see a doctor because you sound like you're staggering dangerously close into turning into the next Kyoon.

He did say his life had a strong narrative, a bit of a warning sign.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pegged Lamb posted:

Each other? Nothing. Much of nature, and our natures is a complete mess. But its an elegantly mathematical mess.

The math isn't very elegant FYI.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

duodenum posted:

It is better to believe in something hokey that makes you feel good than a useless truth. What use do most people have for studying physics? If you aren't a scientist you won't contribute to the field and will incur a massive opportunity cost learning about all these formulas and what have you when you would get more utility out of adopting a convenient and pleasant belief and using science time to do other stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pegged Lamb posted:

Buried alive posted:

..what? Like, seriously, what? I'm not following the comparison at all.
I'm guessing it's as in "the empirical method cannot prove itself, therefore anything that relies solely on an empirically derived solution cannot refer to itself as provably true anywhere outside of that methodology".

This has been a thing in philosophy of science for a long while, at least as far back as when science was still called natural philosophy.

As it currently stands, most scientists agree to use empirical model, where they treat empirical materialism as methodologically useful even if it cannot be shown to be true, at least until a better way comes around.

OP read some philosophy of science, you might like it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

An important point is that ultimately; if you can't design a test that discriminates between two states then the states are identical. This is a fundamental part of science and it explains why its a waste of time to contemplate if we're in a video game. If you can't design a test to determine if you're in a video game then its a meaningless distinction. Similar; what test do you create to determine if free will is real? You can't make one and that's a sign that it isn't important to anything.

you may be confusing what is possible with what you are personally capable of

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zodium posted:

you may be confusing what is possible with what you are personally capable of

Please show us this amazing logical proof you've come up with.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Similar; what test do you create to determine if free will is real? You can't make one and that's a sign that it isn't important to anything.

We can't make one currently, but one is conceivable. Your argument means that the question of (for example) the existence of extrasolar planets was a meaningless one to the ancients. They were either there or not, and the fact that there wasn't even close to any extant technology capable of testing such a hypothesis at the time doesn't mean the question itself was nonsense.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Trent posted:

We can't make one currently, but one is conceivable.

Such as?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Deja Vu is your brain saving the memory into long term subconscious before it can save it into short term conscious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If were in a computer game then how come the women aren't more scantily clad?

Don't they have Summer where you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
He might live in Saudi Arabia to be fair.

• Locked thread