Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Petite Dinklage posted:

Ball Rules Haunt Feline Dreams

Goal line fumble, Carroll beams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Popy posted:

Wished for the meteor all game.

Whoa now the pats aren't playing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Ozu posted:

Basically every post on /r/nfl.

Oh god why would you read r/nfl besides just the headlines? The comments make the GDT derails look like A+ discussion.

*Has X teams flair* As a X teams fan, y team (looks scary, looks bad, Ys player looks really good.)

Attempted witty response.

Attempted witty response to response.

Etc.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I don't understand how this is still a thing.

From the sounds of it the practice squad was running a scout defense in a walk through and they kept picking off his passes. He has said he wasn't getting the looks they were supposed to, which leads me to believe people weren't doing what they should of been doing.

For those who may not know, the scout team generally runs a really basic defense for a walkthrough during practice.

The idea is "These are their basic formations that they run, and here is how we are going to attack it."

They will probably run the 1-3 plays that the coaches have picked to attack that zone 10-30 times.

There is a lot to be gained for this if done right. You get a sense for where the passing lanes and zones are going to be. You can work on perfecting your timing with your go to WR so that the ball is to them at the perfect time. More advanced QBs can start to process how teams would counter this play and start seeing how to counter that counter.

Imagine you are going up against a base 4-3 cover 2 scheme in practice. And after running it a few times, one Safety, instead of going into their deep zone, takes 2 steps back, and then cuts in front of the pass that they have seen 5-10 times prior.

If they were garbage throws that fell into the DBs hand, thats one thing, but if they were going full speed to make a point gently caress that guy. They are just wasting practice time and slowing everything down.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

this is a good explanation

but I heard Brady pays people who cuck him

As for Brady I'm guessing that is during the phase of practice that is actually full speed and both sides of the ball don't know what play is going to be run.

As practice builds up you eventually start to build your playbook for the game. Of if this then that, if that then this. Etc, until you build the entire game plan. If we hit this run play to the RG 3x, then they counter it with the SOLB attacking that hole. If they use that blitz with the SOLB, we play action out of that and hit the X receiver on this route in the area that that LB has vacated.

So you would have the defense come out in their alignment or with certain notable players marked and it would be up to the offense to understand what play they should run, but the D has liberty to call their plays too, and actually play defense instead of just being bodies.

Ninja Edit: This is also why you hear about teams struggling, and then the defense calling out what plays they are going to run presnap. When nothing is working offensively you cut down from dozens of plays to maybe a dozen or less. The idea being that you keep practicing those till you can execute it 80% of the time and build off of that.

Edit 2: This is a lot of words for this subject but it's a pet peeve that I used to have from long ago when I played football (and was god awful.) We had 1 LB that felt he had to make huge plays on walkthroughs every loving practice, it generally had him getting pulled aside and getting bitched at, then us doing laps.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

Peyton does have a dead baby arm and it's clear when watching games what he is extremely physically limited, and playing behind a lovely offensive line.

He's just also one of the better quarterbacks ever, so is still able to succeed because he still has some fantastic weapons and can figure out what you're doing better then you can.

The Raiders have also struggled against anything at shirt or medium distance this year. Even with a noodle arm Manning is going to drop 300+ on them.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

my high school produced both dan marino and the legendary marc bulger

I went to high school with current Broncos RT Ryan Harris. I saw him grab a DE on a sweep, throw the DE into a LB then pancake the Safety.

I also worked with a guy who played college ball with Patrick Crayton. He said Crayton would catch punts with one hand in practice because two hands was too easy.

It's insane the level of skill it takes to become even an average NFL player, but it'd also really god drat cool to hear what they did before making it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Pick plays are awful.

Especially now when seemingly every pass play is a pick route.

• Locked thread