Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm morbidly curious as to how his Penthouse layout looked. Right now I'm picturing him as he is now which is pretty hilarious. Is Wolfe as clueless on his show as he is in NFY or does it seem like he's putting on an act?

I didn't mind that only one scheme was showcased this week because goddamn it was a freakin masterpiece. I don't think we've seen someone quite as adept at observing and manipulating pop culture to the extent that Nathan is. Sascha Baron Cohen I think was comparable but he was definitely a lot more mean-spirited in his efforts and Nathan has proved that a more hands-off approach is much more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
"He told me that an alien tried to pull him into the sun." :vince:

Nathan's fingerprints were all over Santa's talk with the boy and it just made it all the more fantastic to listen to him recite those absurd lines.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Fielder has the unassuming inoffensive Canadian thing down pat. He will forever blend into the crowd no matter how high-profile his stunts become because he is always so far removed from the stunts to begin with. The Movement had Garbarino as the figurehead. Hero Pig was a pig. He was the spokesperson for Dumb Starbucks and gave interviews on talk shows but Starbucks itself was the star and overshadowed his presence from the stunt's very conception. If anything Banksy got more press from the ordeal than Fielder just from people thinking it was him. It's really amazing to see in action how well this guy disappears into his act.

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 7, 2015

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I think there's probably some accuracy in the statement that a majority of people don't know who Banksy is, but he's long since entered public consciousness and in fact any tableau-style gag is immediately attributed to him by the media regardless of improbability because he's the only recognizable name in street art.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The "again" scenes (I can't believe he cried on command) and his interactions with smokers at the other bars were fantastic but this felt like more of a filler episode compared to everything else he's pulled off this season.

I don't think the authorities give much of a poo poo about a dive bar allowing smokers for two days.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
If you're craving some more Nathan For You between episodes, I suggest checking out some of the segments from his time with This Hour Has 22 Minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQCatQZ3yWQ&list=PLW_kLI30Nv-HeXySmkV9_Q9z7HQwEutDt

Pretty much hasn't changed his interview methods since then, and it's interesting to see some of his gags like the lie detector segment having been borrowed from past encounters.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
In this post-Pearl Harbor world, you just can't trust anybody.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I dunno as the AV Club mentioned, the huge bump in insurance costs that would accompany an additional service like that would offset any realistic expectation of profits.

Sometimes Nathan's ideas are SO perfect you wonder why no one actually came up with it until you remember how much responsibility you'd be trusting average people with. One motorcycle death and the lawsuits would kill the company.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

:eyepop:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

JAMOOOL posted:

given those tweets above and the fact that the show hasn't been renewed I think next Thursday might be the last episode ever of this show :(

Historically the series has been renewed after the finale episode of every season so I wouldn't count NFY out yet.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I had to pause when Verena struck the curb with some poor woman's car. That was incredible.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The man who envisioned THIS masterpiece isn't an artist??

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

But what if it's a cheap jacket and it doesn't keep me warm enough? If this winter is anything like the last one, I want to feel like I'm in an oven out there.

If it's anything like this Northface soft shell (that I got for $140) then it's well worth the price.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...CFYEdHwodiAwD_A

On brisk 30-45 degree Fahrenheit days it's fine by itself but anything colder and you'll maybe wanna throw a hoodie on under it or something. Then you'll be nice and toasty, like a jew in an oven.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

“I couldn’t be more excited to continue my non-sexual relationship with Viacom,” said Fielder.

“Nathan showed such professionalism transitioning our relationship into a platonic one last season, he deserves another,” added Alterman.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I respect on so many levels the things Nathan has been able to pull off in the past...

But this episode makes me feel like he took it too far.

But the fact that he was able to take it that far without repercussions was his entire point, right?

But still, these are real lives he's playing with.

I am so conflicted.

This show is amazing.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
all brilliant men are a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

JayMax posted:

I feel like more thought was given to Nathan's character arc, this year. He's evolving. He's becoming more confident in his ability to influence people through these elaborate schemes, but he's having a tougher time convincing himself the connections he makes are genuine. He's not as delusional. There's deep, deep frustration bubbling inside him as he's taking off his mask in the finale.

I could see this entire series being inspired by and mirroring the life and career of one celebrity heavily involved in reality TV and it only becomes obvious who it is on the last aired episode when he walks out on stage to introduce American Idol contestants or something.

Nathan is on record saying the absurdity of the late 00's recession is what inspired his brand of comedy so I could see the character of Nathan having been developed in dedication/reverence to some larger-than-life, but ultimately deeply sad, real live person.

Probably not true in the slightest but it's fun to think about. Trying to figure out and speculate who the celebrated target of Nathan's The Hero scheme was before the episode aired had to be one of the best Television-related conversations I've had with my friends since Lost was first airing in 2004.

• Locked thread