Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Hey gang,

Last year I got a DSLR, a Nikon D610 with the intention of using it for videos. I shoot mostly using a Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 lens. I used to work as a videographer for a small news station and know a thing or two about setting a shot for correct exposure, but I'm by no means an expert. I notice when using other people's equipment, my videos turn out much better than when using my own equipment and I'm kind of at a loss for why that may be.

This is a complicated question I realize because there's a lot that can wrong between shooting, render settings and uploading, but I'll say that the unprocessed video looks just about as bad as the video uploaded to youtube.

I'm going to link to a video I just shot and if you have any insight on where I hosed up I would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NJNSMajQU

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Is that you in the video?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

RangerScum posted:

Is that you in the video?

Did you find the problem?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Could you maybe be a little more specific about what about the video you thought were bad? There's also a DSLR video thread in this subforum that might be a better place for this

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
In this video I wasn't using a lighting kit at any point. In some shots half of the frame is overexposed while the other half is underexposed. I realize this isn't ideal lighting, but the underexposed bits seem to lack detail, or just not look as good I expect. Is this in my head?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Dorkopotamis posted:

Did you find the problem?
Yikes! 😳

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
lovely shadows is usually the result of high ISO and/or low bitrate encoding. You could try upping the video quality to the maximum setting or even try out hacked firmware that gives you 64mbps encoding options. I haven't used it with the D610 but I did with my D5100 without problems.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dorkopotamis posted:

In some shots half of the frame is overexposed while the other half is underexposed.

this is your problem. make the lighting more even.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

BANME.sh posted:

lovely shadows is usually the result of high ISO and/or low bitrate encoding. You could try upping the video quality to the maximum setting or even try out hacked firmware that gives you 64mbps encoding options. I haven't used it with the D610 but I did with my D5100 without problems.

All the shots were done at well below 1000 ISO, so I'm not sure it's that. All of my video settings (there aren't many) are set to their maximum (I don't think I saw any options for encoding). You think hacked firmware is the way to go? The firmware you've linked seems a bit out of date compared to the most recent Nikon firmware, which has done a lot for white balancing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The 610's max bitrate is 24mbps which is not the best. Shadows are one of the first things that get compromised when you start to compress video. You can invest in better lighting, invest in a better camera body, or try out the hacked firmware. I would start with better lighting first like MrBlandAverage said.

I didn't know the firmware was so out of date.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 7, 2015

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Thirding the "light your goddamn scene" idea

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

TheJeffers posted:

Thirding the "light your goddamn scene" idea

I'm in this camp as well and when that's an option I tend to veer that way. I guess my problem is that I expect too much from my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Hell, even some $10-15 can/spring lights that you pick up at your hardware box store with some daylight bulbs would help. Lighting doesn't have to cost a ton when you are doing videos like this.

• Locked thread