Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

quote:

CRANSTON, R.I. — A man from Cranston who weighs 778 pounds is desperate for help after he said Rhode Island Hospital kicked him out.

The man's father said he has nowhere to take his son.

Steven Assanti, 33, said his eating addiction lead him to the trunk of his father's SUV with no place to go.

"It's an addiction, and I realize that," said Assanti.{} "And it's a disease."

For the past 80 days, Assanti said, he was getting the help he needed at Rhode Island Hospital. There, he lost 20 pounds.

But after Assanti violated his care plan by ordering pizza, he said the hospital told him he could no longer stay.

"I was supposed to stay there and lose all my weight and get down to 550 to get the gastric bypass," said Assanti. "That was their plan."

A spokesperson for Rhode Island Hospital told NBC 10 News they can't speak about Assanti's case, or the treatment of any other patients.

His father, Steven Veillette, said taking his son home will be a death sentence.

"If he comes home and I do get him up the stairs somehow, someway he's going to go right back to his eating habits," Veillette said.

So, the two men say they'll continue to drive until they find a place that will help.

"I just don't know who to turn to," Veillette said. "I called everybody - everybody you can think of in the state of Rhode Island and nobody seems to be (able to) help me."

As of 6 p.m., Veillette said Assanti was in the waiting room at Kent Hospital's emergency area. About an hour later, Veillette called NBC 10, noting that his son will be able to stay at Kent for the night.

His social worker is looking into another permanent location.

It's funny because he is going to eat himself to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fat is beautiful

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
This guy seems to have a really good father, too bad he can't stop eating.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Um just refuse to overfeed him and if he orders pizza you refuse it at the door or throw it in the trash the fat tub of poo poo sure aint going to the door himself it aint hard jeez louise

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

when im king fat people will go to prison for ordering a pizza

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
how do you return to your old eating habits when you can't even get out of bed, seems like a major hole in this story

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Pizza is good though

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
rear end pleasure

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The father enables him....

...to go on adventures together in his dad's suv.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

vyst posted:

Fat is beautiful

"Down to get the gastric bypass".

Everytime I see one of those videos on youtube of the person losing 150+ lbs or so to qualify for the invasive, possibly life threatening surgery, I think, "Why can't they just stick to the diet?"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This is going to be a reality show, isn't it?

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
3O. How would we shame fatties without him.

Edit: did the article mention what kind of pizza he ordered at least..? I need inspiration for lunch number 2.

El Duderino fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 8, 2015

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

quote:

A man from Cranston who weighs 778 pounds ...

For the past 80 days, Assanti said, he was getting the help he needed at Rhode Island Hospital. There, he lost 20 pounds.

i thought at that weight you could lose 20lbs in three weeks, not almost three months.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
drop him off at the golden corral

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Wicker Man posted:

"Down to get the gastric bypass".

Everytime I see one of those videos on youtube of the person losing 150+ lbs or so to qualify for the invasive, possibly life threatening surgery, I think, "Why can't they just stick to the diet?"

Because eating like a normal human for more than a couple months is a fridge too far. That's also why you get a billion dieting doesn't work articles because they think dieting is eating like a normal human for a few months and then going back to eating like garbage and expecting to not regain the weight somehow.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
well at least he's not gay!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jackyl posted:

drop him off at the golden corral

That would be an awesome reality TV show, I would so watch that.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

tetsuo posted:

i thought at that weight you could lose 20lbs in three weeks, not almost three months.

They lose weight faster than that at more reasonable weights on shows like extreme weight loss. At that weight this guy could probably lose 20 pounds of water weight in a week or two

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
he was probably sneaking pizzas the whole time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I hope he dies

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtVDcqMw-10

This is him btw.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Hospitals shouldn't serve "fats", since they're a massive drain on the industry and pretty gross

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I take him home to his upstairs room he will go back to his old eating habits.

Enormous amounts of food will materialize in his room without the control or knowledge of me, the primary caretaker who is solely responsible for this person who cannot travel under his own power.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pizza delivery men will show up at the door and I, a responsible adult caring for an elephantine son, will be wholly powerless to stop them as they deliver pizza after pizza above my protests.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
in fairness to his dad, he was getting food he shouldn't have in a setting with 24 hour supervision.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Maybe they kicked him out for ruining their metrics. 20 pounds in ~3 months starting at 770 is embarrassingly slow if he's under specialized care for it

Edit: actually starting around 800 if 778 is his weight after the hospital

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 8, 2015

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

disgusting

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hospitals shouldn't serve "fats", since they're a massive drain on the industry and pretty gross

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

3O should also be laying off the pizza if the pictures of himself he's been posting are any indication

Flight_Hy
Jun 24, 2010

lol

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
What kind of SUV is it? 778 pounds in the trunk is a pretty impressive load, I wonder if this is loving up the vehicles suspension? How would it handle speed bumps? Could probably do some pretty serious drifting in that SUV too.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Thank you for bring this to my attention Something Awful Forums Poster Three Olives. What would we do without you?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Can't someone that weighs 800 pounds live off of water and nothing else for a few months and basically become human sized again?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I'll bet the level of contempt the hospital workers have for this guy is off the charts. Figuratively and now literally.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

"Yeah, a 36-incher, just cheese, and nothin' but cheese... Tell reception you're delivering to the Anorexic Ward next door."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
doctors absolutely hate treating fat people... and any other people who flat out refuse to take basic care of themselves

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

veedubfreak posted:

Can't someone that weighs 800 pounds live off of water and nothing else for a few months and basically become human sized again?

water and supplements, yes it has been tried and proven actually

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
if this guy was literally chained to a bed and only given water how long would it take for him to be normal sized (save having to get the fat surgically removed or w/e) edit: oh look I can't read poo poo because I'm a retard lolll

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

veedubfreak posted:

Maybe, but without vitamins and at least a bare minimum of protein, the person will get very weak and sickly. The natural strain of all that fat on their organs and stuff combined with malnutrition raises the risk of serious complications or death with no nutrients.

But still, they will be MUCH thinner :) !

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I have a little empathy for him, his disease is not well understood and its socially unpopular. Its hard to know how to help him. Perhaps in the same way we can commit a person involuntarily for their own mental health, we can do the same and basically force him to diet in a supervised environment where he cannot escape. Then once the weight is lost, he can get the mental help he needs to prevent him from reverting to his previous behaviors. Another thing we can do is shoot him in the head and let his bloated corpse feed the dogs and crows like the weak gently caress he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

That's not quite how your body works but very nearly, yes. He would need vitamins and minerals and probably a small amount of nutritional paste so his gut didn't gently caress itself royally.

I see people like this and instantly stare at them wide-eyed while whispering "you don't need to eat today, fluffy." to myself. It's hard enough to lose weight, I never want to be that poo poo.

• Locked thread