Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'm sure it's been posted before, but god drat, just googling it brings back memories.

MIGHTY MAX!

It was a pocket playset basically; I mean, it blew my mind how much they put inside these things:

This one I can clearly recall owning. it was rad as hell.

Mighty Max was cool, I remember having two but not what they were. I think a spidery one that was posted a couple pages back was one of them.

This picture isn't mine but I have both of these chilling in my closet at the moment, I need to get them out and put them on display. They do the same thing as Mighty Max and Polly Pocket, they fold out and came with little micromachine dudes. I think I still have Kane wiggling around on the mess hall table in the alien head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Anybody remember the zip strip motorcycles? Early 90's maybe. They were basically a plastic motorcycle shaped frame with a plastic wheel in front and a heavy metal wheel in back. The rear wheel had teeth on it and you would put a plastic strip with teeth through the teeth on the back wheel. Rip that strip out and that metal wheel would spin with enough power to make that little bike do wheelies and tear rear end all over the place. It sounds generic as hell but a company, I wanna say Tomy had a line of them in different colors with different riders. I loved those drat things. My friends and I would build ramps and stuff on the garage floor for them. The black one which I called the chopper was always the fastest.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Those things were the loving poo poo.

With a little bit of work you could expose the gear and we stuck a brass cog from a Meccano set onto a drill bit and spun those wheels up to light speed. Took so much skin off my fingers doing it, it's amazing I still have fingerprints.

I had a dragster like this:

EDIT: I remember that noise. So badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxQf-aeDWk

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Jan 7, 2017

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

Barrington posted:

Anybody remember these?

I had 3-4 of these figures, totally scratched and worn to poo poo as they were handed down from my big cousin to me. I remember in the commercial they looked amazing, but in reality the holograms were really crummy. I now make holograms for a living, so I guess they were good for something.

These were the best.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Oh man I had the Hero Car for that line of toys and a coupe of the ghost figures.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought they were a cartoon, but turns out they weren't....but these bad mother fuckers were!!!!!

VISIONARIES!

Taught me that bad guys always have beards. A lesson that holds true through today.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jan 7, 2017

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Any time someone mentions Visionaries a little voice in the back of my head sings 'KNIGHTS OF THE MAGICAAAAAAL LIGHT!'

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought they were a cartoon, but turns out they weren't....but these bad mother fuckers were!!!!!

VISIONARIES!

Taught me that bad guys always have beards. A lesson that holds true through today.

Visionaries was also a comic book. I found that out when nerding out on Mark Bagley and that it was the first comic that he'd worked on, though I think it might be officially uncredited, but it's clearly his work

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Around 1977 I got a Godzilla toy for my birthday.

Loved that thing, carried it around with me like a teddy bear.

Did that bad boy have a gimmick where he had a spring-loaded fist you could shoot like a missile? I vaguely remember being babysat at someone's house who had one of those and I thought it was the coolest thing.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

ZDar Fan posted:

Did that bad boy have a gimmick where he had a spring-loaded fist you could shoot like a missile? I vaguely remember being babysat at someone's house who had one of those and I thought it was the coolest thing.

Yeah, and wheels on the feet, and a little lever that made "fire" come out his mouth. It was rad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ZDar Fan posted:

I bought one at a Garage sale almost a decade ago and yes he does

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Someone's uploaded a ton of old catalogs, particularly some Sears Wish Books. Brings back a lot of memories of making Christmas lists. For some stupid reason, I always wanted a rock tumbler.

A childhood friend had the He-Man castle, which I thought was the coolest thing in first grade.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Someone's uploaded a ton of old catalogs, particularly some Sears Wish Books. Brings back a lot of memories of making Christmas lists. For some stupid reason, I always wanted a rock tumbler.

A childhood friend had the He-Man castle, which I thought was the coolest thing in first grade.

Oh the new new Masters of the Universe. The old new Masters of the Universe were much worse but still :shrug:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Z Bots, and the Mega Bot in particular.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

King Doom posted:

Any time someone mentions Visionaries a little voice in the back of my head sings 'KNIGHTS OF THE MAGICAAAAAAL LIGHT!'

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers 80s cartoon theme songs.

M m m Mask!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

M m m Mask!

Mask was awesome and I dropped the green motorcycle guy into my pool and it got all rusted. Wish I still had those toys to give to my nephew.

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
this thing when i was 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H7ydDAV11I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mask was awesome and I dropped the green motorcycle guy into my pool and it got all rusted. Wish I still had those toys to give to my nephew.

Yea I have no idea what happened to mine. I did shoot the gun from the big tanker at my sister by accident and my dad took the missiles from it.

This has most of the songs in it so they can get stuck in your head for the rest of the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3RTFFhSYs

It's missing Inhumanoids though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls2lvNYrZVI

I always liked this toy, because its basically "How can we make HP Lovecraft for kids?"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Wow I forgot I had that thing too. I thought I lost it but looking back, I'm pretty sure one of my folks threw that thing away as soon as they could.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fuckin BIONICLEs. Take LEGO, but instead of building structures, you're building kickass murder robots that can surf on lava with their swords. :black101: They were so satisfying to put together, too - one kind of joint in particular needed an actual appreciable amount of force (well, for a kid) to snap in.

Also, they hurt even more than regular LEGO to step on.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I never actually owned any bionicles as a kid, but god drat did I love the first movie. I also vaguely remember binging through all the comics online. Stopped at Metru Nui though, so I never had any context for the other movies.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
MANTA FORCE

Was the poo poo

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

M m m Mask!

Ever hear the full-length version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5C0G9Ol7_Q

See also: the full-length Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqL_SO2thsE

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Were those the figures with magnet feet? A friend of mine had those and I was really jealous.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My mother let me and my bro watch gruesome 80's adult movies growing up so we were all over stuff like RoboCop, Aliens, Terminator, that kinda thing. Back then these R-rated movies had toy lines for children for some inexplicable reason. Anyway, I got this for like my 6th birthday I think:

I was so psyched until I ran outside wearing it and fell over scraping the poo poo out of it about 20 minutes after I got it. :(

Also this thing was my pride and joy:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Oh man, when I was but a wee lad we had a small spare room we used for storage, and slowly over time I converted that room into a toy empire, with that castle set up in the middle like a castle on a tower overlooking the land. It was boss as hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Frankston posted:

My mother let me and my bro watch gruesome 80's adult movies growing up so we were all over stuff like RoboCop, Aliens, Terminator, that kinda thing. Back then these R-rated movies had toy lines for children for some inexplicable reason. Anyway, I got this for like my 6th birthday I think:

I was so psyched until I ran outside wearing it and fell over scraping the poo poo out of it about 20 minutes after I got it. :(

They had toys because parents got to decide if their kids could watch R movies back then. Sort of like today. Deadpool has toys I think.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mask, like many other 1980s hasbro toys, is going to be attempting a comeback soon because hasbro wants a cnematic universe. They have already started making the transformers comics have an expanded universe storyline, as well as turning the yearly official transformers convention into a convention for all their properties.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Loved this thing as a kid, definitely one of my favorite toys. If I close my eyes I can still hear the goofy machine sounds it makes as it scoots across the floor.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Quad posted:

Crap, now I need to buy that Run Yourself Ragged game again.

Fuuuuck yeah! I loved run yourself ragged! As a kid I though of it as mousetrap without the pretext of being a lovely board game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davidspackage posted:

Were those the figures with magnet feet? A friend of mine had those and I was really jealous.

Wasn't that StarCom? I don't remember if they had a cartoon show, but man those were super duper cool. I remember having a shuttle that had a loading bay in it that you could rev up a buggy, put it inside and when the bay opened, the buggy would shoot out.

Frankston posted:

I didn't seem weird at the time, but when I became an adult I found it super weird that R rated action movies always got action figures. My parents let me watch Aliens and Predator, but Robocop was no way.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Loved this thing as a kid, definitely one of my favorite toys. If I close my eyes I can still hear the goofy machine sounds it makes as it scoots across the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgIm1mJCyRU

Yikes. What was life like before they created the polio vaccine grandpa?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgIm1mJCyRU

Yikes. What was life like before they created the polio vaccine grandpa?

I'm 36, but I inherited this from my dad who was a born in 1944. I wish I knew what happened to it, I can't remember and my dad can't either. Probably put it out at a yard sale one day... :smith:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

The first Jurassic Park electronic raptor toy from 1993. I still have it and it still works with it's original battery.

One day this started screaming on my dresser and wouldn't stop, so we had to remove the battery. To my dying day I will swear that, a month later, I heard one more sad, mournful scream from the toybox.

This was a hand me down, but it was my favorite toy I was barely allowed to play with:

And no one has yet posted my favorite Lego Space theme:

I loved that they were just a massive criminal organization with a legitimately cool color scheme.

I would have done terrible things for a Megacore Magnetizer, though.

Still would.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Plus like 20 different action figures, including Venom whose jaws opened with you pushed on his legs, Spider-Man who could fire a (string with grappling hook) web, and my favourite: a pull-cord action Electro who sparked with a flint and steel like in a bic lighter.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Beachcomber posted:

And no one has yet posted my favorite Lego Space theme:

I loved that they were just a massive criminal organization with a legitimately cool color scheme.

I would have done terrible things for a Megacore Magnetizer, though.

Still would.

They're easy to find, but they're a bit expensive these days:
http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6989-1&name=Mega%20Core%20Magnetizer&category=%5BSpace%5D%5BM%5D#T=S&O={}

Still, under $200 isn't actually too bad for such an old and awesome set.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ParserGirl posted:

1980s Alphie, the learning robot. He doesn't look like much but you could insert cards for various puzzles and quizzes. His happy little electronic beeps and flashing lights gave him a sense of personality. He was super fun to play with.

AHHHHHH
Hello memory lane!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't that StarCom? I don't remember if they had a cartoon show, but man those were super duper cool. I remember having a shuttle that had a loading bay in it that you could rev up a buggy, put it inside and when the bay opened, the buggy would shoot out.

You're right, it is Starcom I'm thinking of. I think I remember a cartoon show, but of course 9 out of 10 toylines had one.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Beachcomber posted:

This was a hand me down, but it was my favorite toy I was barely allowed to play with:

This thing played a major part in James Gunn's novel, "The Toy Collector."

He described it in detail but never called it by a proper name, so I wasn't sure if it had been made up for the book or if it actually existed. I've never seen one of these, but it looks awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVRyo3ZGcY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davidspackage posted:

You're right, it is Starcom I'm thinking of. I think I remember a cartoon show, but of course 9 out of 10 toylines had one.

It did have a cartoon show!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzjOjW5ymw

• Locked thread