Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

Tennessee playing Penn State and loving that bald fraud James Franklin would be awesome

This would likely end up in my stepfather and I never speaking again. We didn't talk for like 3 weeks after the last time UT and PSU played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Our first official bowl matchup has been announced.

Western Michigan will play Middle Tennessee in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Posture Pal posted:

Our first official bowl matchup has been announced.

Western Michigan will play Middle Tennessee in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.

Man what a sweet rear end bowl to get to go to. Do the players have to pay any part of their way or is it all paid for by the school/popeyes?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Alaois posted:

Elliott Smith Bowl

losers program gets shuttered

winners program also gets shuttered

Spearing is the only form of tackling allowed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Man what a sweet rear end bowl to get to go to. Do the players have to pay any part of their way or is it all paid for by the school/popeyes?

The schools pay for it.

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I found this from last year. I'd assume it's paid for by the school.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah it's the schools, and they have to announce it quick because it's a logistical nightmare with travel and getting everyone cleared for passports.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I meant that it's more awesome from the kids standpoint. Free trip to the Bahamas? Hell yeah. I know it's not a 'prestigious' bowl but I'd rather go there than like Tampa or wherever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo yeah it's gotta be awesome as hell for the kids

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If I got to spend a week or so in the Bahamas eating Popeye's, that would be the best time of my life.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It's even better than that - they get to chill at Atlantis for a week and nail tons of island girls while eating Popeye's. Beats the poo poo out of Mobile or Detroit.

Hell, the bowls are the one good thing CUSA has going for them. You can go to the Bahamas, or South Beach, or New Orleans, or Arizona, even New Mexico isn't so bad as long as you got cheap tequila. The only bowl that really looks to suck is the Heart of Dallas because Dallas at the end of December straight up sucks.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 1, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tremendous reaction from WMU :3:

Last year's from Central was great too

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile the SEC gets such scenic locales as Tampa and Shreveport

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Meanwhile the SEC gets such scenic locales as Tampa and Shreveport

We get Boise and Albuquerque

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

SEC really needs to find a bowl to share with the PAC 12.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

chaoslord posted:

I've been begging for this for ages. Every tie in is B1G and the same six teams play each other basically every year

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spencer Hall posted:

Please recall that this is going to be a game between MTSU and Western Michigan, and will probably be like 43-42 at the bell, and is the only bowl game on foreign soil, and the only one sponsored by a legendary fried chicken chain. There is nothing about this bowl game that is not essential, and that is before you remember that it takes place on Christmas Eve, when you're posted up at your house drinking an entire bottle of wine and desperately looking for ways to avoid human interaction. This game is a superhero; treat it accordingly.

:toot:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

chaoslord posted:

If the SEC can send 10 teams bowling, it should be able to have games against the other nine conferences - at LEAST four bowls against the other four majors.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The downside of the Bahamas Bowl is that it's relatively difficult for family and loved ones to tag along. Even if they could afford a road trip + ferry/flight + hotels going to be outside of a lot of peoples' budgets. I'd be a little bummed if I had a relatively big moment like this and couldn't share it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DJExile posted:

yeah it's the schools, and they have to announce it quick because it's a logistical nightmare with travel and getting everyone cleared for passports.

Bahamas require a passport? When I went on a cruise you just needed an ID and birth cert. I imagine people who aren't citizens would still need one, but they should already have one, right?

E: unless the laws for cruises are different. I 100% have no idea.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Cole posted:

Bahamas require a passport? When I went on a cruise you just needed an ID and birth cert. I imagine people who aren't citizens would still need one, but they should already have one, right?

E: unless the laws for cruises are different. I 100% have no idea.

Sea entry rules aren't the same as air entry rules. And getting into a foreign country isn't usually the hard part. It's getting back into the US.

That said I have no idea if The Bahamas require a passport. It's probably smart to have one, and you can get em pretty fast if needed. My gf got one in 3 days once.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Bahamas is great for the players, who get the trip of a lifetime and hopefully aren't saddled with a killjoy coach who treats this like the second championship and locks them in their rooms with nothing but tape and protein shakes.

It's murder on staff and logistics, to get all these people cleared for overseas travel and getting all your stuff overseas and to try and sell fans and boosters on a travel package with what's literally no notice, and when they somehow don't sell all these seats the school had to pay full price for they get blamed. Someone's going to lose their job because MTSU/WMU went to the Bahamas and it sucks for them.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

CaptainYesterday posted:

If the SEC can send 10 teams bowling, it should be able to have games against the other nine conferences - at LEAST four bowls against the other four majors.

THIS... The five power conferences should have their top 4 available teams (non CFP or NY6) play each other in bowls. This can still work with other regional games such as the Vegas bowl where Pac12 #5-6 plays the MWC #1 and it still works out to a decent game.

Rose - Pac1 vs BIG1 (NY6)
Sugar - BXII1 vs SEC1 (NY6)
Orange - ACC1 v SEC2/BIG2 (NY6)
Alamo - PAC2 vs BXII2
Citrus - BIG2/SEC2 vs ACC2
Outback - BIG3 vs SEC3
Russell Athletic - BXII3 vs ACC3
Holiday - PAC3 vs SEC4
Texas - BXII4 v BIG4
Sun - ACC4 v PAC4

The top 4 teams available for each conference play the other 4 power 5 conferences first. The only real swap is the BIG & SEC swapping placed in Texas & Holiday bowls. After these then you get to your lower level & regional bowls. You can of course get rid of the 2nd Orlando & El Paso games to other locales too.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Bahamas is great for the players, who get the trip of a lifetime and hopefully aren't saddled with a killjoy coach who treats this like the second championship and locks them in their rooms with nothing but tape and protein shakes.

It's murder on staff and logistics, to get all these people cleared for overseas travel and getting all your stuff overseas and to try and sell fans and boosters on a travel package with what's literally no notice, and when they somehow don't sell all these seats the school had to pay full price for they get blamed. Someone's going to lose their job because MTSU/WMU went to the Bahamas and it sucks for them.

The financial component to it definitely is going to be a challenge for WMU. The fan culture is either long suffering (me) and/or still in its infancy. Mid-major teams like Houston are able to pull on a legacy or historical period of success, WMU hasn't had that, we've been largely mediocre at best for a pretty long time. Even this year, as exciting a finish as it was, there were games that I though the team under-performed. Fortunately the big names on the team this year are almost all juniors and likely to come back, so as long as WMU can desperately cling to PJ Fleck, this could be the beginning of something like that. Also, I'm stoked as poo poo about the Bahamas Bowl

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am angry about the Bahamas Bowl because it didn't exist when my sister was on the WMU dance team. I want an excuse for a Bahamian vacation dammit.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am angry about the Bahamas Bowl because it didn't exist when my sister was on the WMU dance team. I want an excuse for a Bahamian vacation dammit.

how about "because I want to go to the Bahamas" for an excuse?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

Missouri just announced they aren't interested in a bowl this year.

Wrong of them to deny Pinkel the "coached the most bowls in Shreveport" title imo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So I was going to do two scenarios, one where everything went chalk and one where chaos reigned, but when I started the first one I realized it basically echoed my predictions from this past weekend, so no need to rehash that. Instead, I'd like to present to you a little thing I like to call APAWWWWWWLLLLLLOCALYPSE NOW (note telling MV to make this the GDT title tia)

In this scenario:

#10 UNC defeats #1 Clemson in the ACC Championship Game
#18 Florida defeats #2 Alabama in the SEC Championship Game
#4 Iowa defeats #5 Michigan State in the B1G Championship Game (Sparty's favored)
#20 USC defeats #7 Stanford in the Pac-12 Championship Game
Texas defeats #12 Baylor
#22 Temple defeats #19 Houston in the 'Murica Championship Game

From there, the committee starts to drink heavily, and comes up with this:

Cotton Bowl: #1 Iowa (B1G Champs) vs. #4 Clemson (ACC Rep)
Orange Bowl: #2 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champs) vs. #3 Ohio State (B1G Rep)

Iowa's the only undefeated team, and having finally proven themselves, get the number one spot. You'd think they'd go to the Orange, but instead choose the Cotton as they're ranked against #4 Clemson, who stay afloat by virtue of crashing down upon everyone else's bodies. The committee decides with their only loss being to a Top 10 team (thanks UNC!), it keeps them ahead of Notre Dame (whom Clemson beat), Alabama (2 losses), Sparty (2 losses), and TCU (not as good with Doctson out). Oklahoma would have rather had the Cotton, but they'll settle for the Orange and the #2 seed. They get Ohio State, who the committee have no choice but to put in after ranking them ahead of Notre Dame. The other three conference champs (UNC/Florida/USC) aren't as highly regarded as the Buckeyes, although UNC is crying bloody murder.

Peach Bowl: North Carolina (ACC Champs) vs. Temple (G5 Rep)
Sugar Bowl: Florida (SEC Champs) vs. Oklahoma State (Big 12 Rep)
Fiesta Bowl: Notre Dame (At-Large) vs. Florida State (At-Large)
Rose Bowl: USC (Pac-12 Champs) vs. Michigan State (B1G Rep)

Rose gets USC, which even in a down year they're happy for, and Sparty somehow fails up into the Rose Bowl. Sugar swallows hard and ends up taking Florida, who match up with Oklahoma State who win a tiebreaker over TCU via H2H, but would lose a three-way if Baylor's involved. UNC ends up at #5 even after beating Clemson, and goes to the Peach Bowl where they face Temple, the G5 rep. Notre Dame and FSU don't play and somehow aren't affected, and move their matchup across the country to the Fiesta.

From there the bowls shake-out like this:

pre:
Cactus Bowl	        Jan. 2	Tempe, Ariz.	        Big 12 vs. Pac-12	             Nevada vs. Cal
Alamo Bowl	        Jan. 2	San Antonio, Tex.	Big 12 vs. Pac-12	             TCU vs. Stanford
Liberty Bowl	        Jan. 2	Memphis, Tenn.	        Big 12 vs. SEC	                     West Virginia vs. Arkansas
TaxSlayer Bowl	        Jan. 2	Jacksonville, Fla.	ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC                  Miami vs. Ole Miss
Citrus Bowl	        Jan. 1	Orlando, Fla.	        ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC	             Michigan vs. Alabama
Outback Bowl	        Jan. 1	Tampa, Fla.	        Big Ten vs. SEC	                     Northwestern vs. Georgia
Holiday Bowl	        Dec. 30	San Diego, Calif.	Big Ten vs. Pac-12                   Wisconsin vs. Oregon
Music City Bowl	        Dec. 30	Nashville, Tenn.	ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC	             Penn State vs. Tennessee
Belk Bowl	        Dec. 30	Charlotte, N.C.	        ACC vs. SEC                          Virginia Tech vs. LSU
Birmingham Bowl	        Dec. 30	Birmingham, Ala.	American vs. SEC	             Houston vs. Mississippi State
Texas Bowl	        Dec. 29	Houston, Tex.	        Big 12 vs. SEC	                     Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M
Arizona Bowl	        Dec. 29	Tucson, Ariz.	        C-USA vs. Mountain West	             Illinois* vs. Colorado State
Russell Athletic Bowl	Dec. 29	Orlando, Fla.	        ACC vs. Big 12                       Pitt vs. Baylor
Armed Forces Bowl	Dec. 29	Fort Worth, Tex.	Big Ten/Big 12 vs. Mountain West     Akron vs. Air Force
Quick Lane Bowl	        Dec. 28	Detroit, Mich.	        ACC vs. Big Ten                      Central Michigan vs. Nebraska*
Military Bowl	        Dec. 28	Annapolis, Md.	        ACC vs. American                     NC State vs. Navy
Foster Farms Bowl	Dec. 26	Santa Clara, Calif.	Big Ten vs. Pac-12	             Indiana vs. UCLA
Independence Bowl	Dec. 26	Shreveport, La.	        SEC vs. ACC                          Auburn vs. Arizona
Pinstripe Bowl	        Dec. 26	New York, N.Y.	        ACC vs. Big Ten                      Duke vs. Washington
Heart of Dallas Bowl	Dec. 26	Dallas, Tex.	        Big Ten/Big 12 vs. C-USA	     Arizona State vs. Western Kentucky
Sun Bowl	        Dec. 26	El Paso, Tex.	        ACC vs. Pac-12                       Louisville vs. Utah
St. Petersburg Bowl	Dec. 26	St. Petersburg, Fla.	American vs C-USA                    Memphis vs. Marshall
Hawaii Bowl	        Dec. 24	Honolulu, Hawaii	American vs. Mountain West/BYU	     Cincinnati vs. BYU
Bahamas Bowl	        Dec. 24	Nassau, Bahamas	        C-USA vs. MAC                        Middle Tennessee vs. Western Kentucky
GoDaddy.com Bowl	Dec. 23	Mobile, Ala.	        MAC vs. Sun Belt                     Bowling Green vs. App State
Poinsettia Bowl	        Dec. 23	San Diego, Calif.	Mountain West vs. Army	             Boise State vs. Kansas State*
Boca Raton Bowl	        Dec. 22	Boca Raton, Fla.	American vs. MAC	             UConn vs. Northern Illinois
Idaho Potato Bowl	Dec. 22	Boise, Idaho	        MAC vs. Mountain West	             Toledo vs. New Mexico
Miami Beach Bowl	Dec. 21	Miami, Fla.	        American vs. C-USA	             South Florida vs. Southern Miss
New Orleans Bowl	Dec. 19	New Orleans, La.	C-USA vs. Sun Belt	             Louisiana Tech vs. Arkansas State
Camellia Bowl	        Dec. 19	Montgomery, Ala.	MAC vs. Sun Belt                     Ohio vs. San Jose State*
Royal Purple Bowl	Dec. 19	Las Vegas, Nev.	        Mountain West/BYU vs. Pac-12	     San Diego State vs. Washington State
New Mexico Bowl	        Dec. 19	Albuquerque, N.M.	C-USA vs. Mountain West	             Minnesota* vs. Utah State
Cure Bowl	        Dec. 19	Orlando, Fla.	        American vs. Sun Belt	             Tulsa vs. Georgia Southern
Now, this assumes that Bama falls below ND/FSU and while I doubt that would happen, we can dream and this is pure chaos so why not. Akron/CMU/the Arizonas/Washington all get left to the wilderness to chase money for the conferences, hence Washington to the Bronx and Arizona to lovely Shreveport. From the 5-7 pool, Nebraska to Murder City, K-State to Poinsettia, SJSU to Camellia, and Minn to New Mexico and Illinois to Zona.

If Chaos Reigns, this is what it might look it. We can only dream.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 2, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Arkansas State to the New Orleans Bowl, Georgia Southern to the GoDaddy and App State to the Camellia Bowl per ESPN. If Georgia State and South Alabama win next week they'll go to the Cure and Arizona Bowls

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 2, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regardless of how the MAC Championship goes, BG seems to be all but a lock for the GoDaddy. I think they usually get first pick of the MAC teams and they'll let us shoot the lights out with App State or someone

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Gotta love ESPN quoting "sources" regarding bowls ESPN owns.

Anywho, using my moon poll and a random number generator I predict the the will of Xort to be:

pre:
ACC	Clemson		61.6%		North Carolina	38.4%
BigTen	Iowa		62.3%		Michigan State	37.7%
Pac12	Stanford        67.8%		USC		32.2%
SEC	Alabama		77.8%		Florida		22.2%
Big12	Oklahoma	

AAC	Houston		75.6%		Temple		24.4%
CUSA	Western KY	65.6%		Southern MS	34.4%
MAC	Bowling Green	66.8%		Northern IL	33.2%
MWC	San Diego St	79.5%		Air Force 	20.5%
SunBelt	Arkansas St	98.1%		App State	1.8%	GA Southern	0.1%
For the record, the RNG for me has always hated Iowa. I don't get it. I want Iowa in the playoffs dammit.

The playoff committee looks on in horror at the chaos and makes their choice. Alabama makes it in obviously, Michigan State's playoff run continues, and the Big 12 gets a break for once in that their one true champion is already decided. #4 in this case comes down to:

Clemson - ACC runner up, #1 all year, medium to big brand name, lost too late
North Carolina - ACC champ, upset #1 Clemson, not a brand name for football
Stanford - Pac 12 champ, sort of a brand name, beat brand names Notre Dame and USC
Iowa - Big Ten runner up, not a brand name, lost too late
Ohio State - Big brand name, didn't even win its own division
Florida - SEC runner up, big brand name, three losses

Because the CFP committee is a bad place, the committee picks Stanford on the strength of its conference title and brand name. Clemson is 5, North Carolina is 6.

pre:
CFP 1	Alabama
CFP 2	Michigan State
CFP 3	Oklahoma
CFP 4	Stanford
The New Years bowl placement goes not much better. The Rose gets USC as Stanford made the playoffs and Ohio State to drive a ratings bonanza. The Sugar is pretty easy. The two championship game losers are given a Peach matchup with each other as a consolation prize. And because UNC is contractually required to go to a New Years' Bowl as a P5 champion, it gets dumped with the other contractual obligation, G5 rep and AAC champion Houston, in the Fiesta.

pre:
Rose		Ohio State	USC
Sugar		Oklahoma St	Florida	
Peach		Clemson		Iowa
Fiesta		Houston		North Carolina
The other bowls are a crapshoot and are about as useful and accurate as r/cfb:
pre:
Alamo		Oregon		TCU
Arizona		San Jose State*	Utah State
Armed Forces	Washington	Air Force
Bahamas		Middle Tenn	Western Michigan
Belk		Duke		Arkansas
Birmingham	South Florida	Auburn
Boca Raton	Connecticut	Northern Illinois
Cactus		Nevada		Arizona State
Camellia	Ohio U		Appalachian State
Citrus		Wisconsin	Georgia
Cure		Tulsa		Minnesota*
Foster Farms	Kansas State*	Washington State
GoDaddy		Bowling Green	Georgia Southern
Hawaii		Memphis		BYU
Heart of Dallas	Akron		Nebraska*
Holiday		Michigan	Utah
Independence	Virginia Tech	Illinois*
Las Vegas	San Diego State	California
Liberty		West Virginia	Tennessee
Miami Beach	Cincinnati	Louisiana Tech
Military	Navy		NC State
Music City	Indiana		LSU
New Mexico	Marshall	New Mexico
New Orleans	Southern Miss	Arkansas State
Outback		Northwestern	Ole Miss
Pinstripe	Miami (FL)	Penn State
Poinsettia	Toledo		Boise State
Potato		Colorado State	Arizona
QuickLane	Central Mich	Louisville
Russell Ath	Florida State	Baylor
St. Petersburg	Temple		Western Kentucky
Sun		Pittsburgh	UCLA
TaxSlayer	Notre Dame	Mississippi State
Texas		Texas Tech	Texas A&M

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aw man I don't wanna go to the Liberty Bowl

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

For the record, the RNG for me has always hated Iowa.

The computer was invented at Iowa State and subsequently deep down they are all intensely jealous of the University of Iowa.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I really want SDSU to go to the Vegas Bowl or Cactus Bowl.

Cactus Bowl pays out a lot more, so please Cactus Bowl

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BYU to the Las Vegas Bowl

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The last time Northwestern played in the outback bowl, Mike Kafka threw 5 interceptions, led a comeback to take them into overtime, Northwestern's kicker got injured, and they lost on the World's Most Obvious Fake Field Goal.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Arkansas State to the New Orleans Bowl, Georgia Southern to the GoDaddy and App State to the Camellia Bowl per ESPN. If Georgia State and South Alabama win next week they'll go to the Cure and Arizona Bowls
Huh, is South Alabama a competent team? Or at least entertaining? I might go to the Arizona Bowl if it looks remotely entertaining.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Huh, is South Alabama a competent team? Or at least entertaining? I might go to the Arizona Bowl if it looks remotely entertaining.

Georgia State isn't beating Georgia Southern so its far more likely South Alabama goes to the Cure Bowl.

There a 5-6 Sun Belt team which should tell you all you want to know

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

R.D. Mangles posted:

The last time Northwestern played in the outback bowl, Mike Kafka threw 5 interceptions, led a comeback to take them into overtime, Northwestern's kicker got injured, and they lost on the World's Most Obvious Fake Field Goal.

truly a Kafkaesque perfor-okay i'm done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Joey Freshwater posted:

Aw man I don't wanna go to the Liberty Bowl

Getcher rear end down here boy

• Locked thread