Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Champenema posted:

The lovely cartoons combined with the high pitched squeal of the lovely old tv would give me a splitting headache. I'd go outside and stare into the sun to relieve it.

I've never heard a TV squeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Bismuth posted:

I've never heard a TV squeal

Really? CRTs had a high pitched whine. I remember always being able to tell we'd be watching a movie in class from outside the room because I could hear the whine.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Germstore posted:

It's kind of a situation where the product is so well established that it stands on its own. Kind of like Andy Cap Hot Fries.

I'm a Flintstones kid, 10 million strongggg...and growwinggggg *sang in little kid voice*

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Germstore posted:

Really? CRTs had a high pitched whine. I remember always being able to tell we'd be watching a movie in class from outside the room because I could hear the whine.

Maybe I just dont remember, I havent seen a CRT since elementary school

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

yes, yes

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

The Dregs posted:

Still, though, better than anime.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Maybe I just dont remember, I havent seen a CRT since elementary school

I still remember when I was a kid I could hear the electronic whine in tube TVs and those anti theft monoliths they put at store exits. It's a really high frequency though, I haven't been able to hear it in ages.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

notZaar posted:

I still remember when I was a kid I could hear the electronic whine in tube TVs and those anti theft monoliths they put at store exits. It's a really high frequency though, I haven't been able to hear it in ages.

Huh, I dont remember those but I can hear the sound of electric dog fences and power lines still

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All Hanna-Barbera TV cartoons were loving awful as poo poo and I despise them all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey there boo boo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

All Hanna-Barbera TV cartoons were loving awful as poo poo and I despise them all.
Top Cat!
The most effectual Top Cat!
Who's intellectual close friends get to call him T.C.
Providing it's with dignity.

Top Cat!
The indisputable leader of the gang.
He's the boss, he's a pip, he's the championship.
He's the most tip top,
Top Cat.

Yes he's a chief, he's a king,
But above everything,
He's the most tip top,
Top Cat.

Top Cat!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jerry is a loving jerk

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
remember this poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
If you have fond memories of Fruity Pebbles, don't try them again as an adult. They're trash. That goes for most kids' cereals really, but especially Pebbles.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Downercut posted:

If you have fond memories of Fruity Pebbles, don't try them again as an adult. They're trash. That goes for most kids' cereals really, but especially Pebbles.

Cereal in general is poo poo. A lot of it was just a pure sugar delivery system.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Testikles posted:

Cereal in general is poo poo. A lot of it was just a pure sugar delivery system.

um, honey nut cherrios are delicious

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Snagglepuss is the exception to the usual lovely Hanna-Barbera rule,.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Someone got paid making this poo poo. That was their loving job, being the voice of Snagglepuss.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
OP should have been about the Jetsons and how much they suck

Qs: Why do they live in cloud cities? What happened to the Earth? Was it destroyed during the Cold War? Is it like Escape From New York where the "surface world" is where criminals and the poor are segregated?

A: gently caress the Jetsons

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

notZaar posted:

I miss the KA-TUNK wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee of my old RCA CRT when I'd turn it on. The soundtrack to the 20th century- a firing electron gun gearing up to beam radiation directly into my child face

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The highlight of the Flintstones in my life was none other than this.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
when I was a kid me and my two sibs used to have to eat these:

they did not taste good. they were chewable. my younger sibs followed my lead in discreetly spitting them out into napkins and stashing them in a place where they were not found.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the flintstones is a show that is not historically accurate hth

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

KiteAuraan posted:

That doesn't check out, because I Love Lucy is still funny.

all the people on i love lucy are dead, dude

you're basically watching a grotesque corpse show

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
im having a GAY old time

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Pick posted:

wacky races and top cat are great you fag

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Go on. :allears:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

It took me ages to figure out why some of those old cartoons had a loving laugh track: it's so they could have the characters pause while waiting for the "audience" to finish laughing, cutting down on how much animation was needed :saddowns:

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Prof. Lurker posted:

wacky races and top cat are great you fag

Wacky Racists, amiright?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Kawalimus posted:

I gotta see this it sounds funny.

Also CN in those old dark days did have some funny bumpers that were better than most of their actual programming. I think the other good thing the channel had was like sunday nights sometimes they'd have a cool cartoon movie. I remember them showing the Rankin Bass Hobbit among other things.

"Wise Papa Smurf....CORRUPTED by his own power. CAN NO LEADER GO UNTAINTED?!!?!?"

:slurp:

notZaar posted:

All of George's job was pressing a button 3 times a day. His job had already been automated but he still had to pretend to work for the sake of the economy and established societal norms.

I think George worked either 2 hours a week or 2 hours a day, and in their time that was considered working 40+ hours by today's standards or something.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 13, 2015

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

OP should have been about the Jetsons and how much they suck

Qs: Why do they live in cloud cities? What happened to the Earth? Was it destroyed during the Cold War? Is it like Escape From New York where the "surface world" is where criminals and the poor are segregated?

A: gently caress the Jetsons

Surface world is where all the poors and minorities live, mad max style

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
i thought it was because the ice caps melted and flooded the earth

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wicker Man posted:

I think George worked either 2 hours a week or 2 hours a day, and in their time that was considered working 40+ hours by today's standards or something.
Three hours a day, three days a week, and he thought Mr. Spacely was a slave driver. Even though his job was to push a button while that AI did the real work.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Those cartoons hold up just out of the quality of animation & music and all that. As in they look n sound cool...pretty simple IMO.

Who else would think to hold a cartoon up to critical scrutiny but a goon

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Those cartoons hold up just out of the quality of animation & music and all that. As in they look n sound cool...pretty simple IMO.

Who else would think to hold a cartoon up to critical scrutiny but a goon

Your mom

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Bismuth posted:

Your mom

:negative:

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Three hours a day, three days a week, and he thought Mr. Spacely was a slave driver. Even though his job was to push a button while that AI did the real work.

When the Jetsons was made we had the optimistic idea that the increased productivity of automation would lead to less work in our lives. :gbsmith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
I think in all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman who ever lived.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Siljmonster posted:

It's a living

This reference to The Flintstones made me laugh harder than The Flintstones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Robo Reagan posted:

i like the bit where lucy goes eaaaaaaaaaa after 50s husband says she has some splainin to do

you're worthless trash if u dont love lucy brey

• Locked thread