Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no way man im not a fag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
looney tunes was some violent poo poo i mean they do some seriously hosed up poo poo in looney tunes man

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
literally dropping a fuckin anvil on top of someone? ice cold, looney tunes

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how come no spree killer has ever dropped a bunch of anvils on people at his college

that would be epic

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Fun fact Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry and poo poo were so violent because they were not made for kids originally. They just had to keep their dirtier jokes on the DL because of the Hay's Code and therefore are pretty safe for modern kids.

This is also why they are actually good and cool cartoons to this day

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
they're safe for modern kids because the PC police made them edit them in the 90s

Hay's Code

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
tom and jerry is pretty bad

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
at my job we're selling this dumbass halloween decoration that, normally, screams words at you as you pass it, but now the battery's low and the voice is all slowed down and lethargic and it sounds like a confused and drunken fred flinstone especially when it laughs

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

cram me sideways posted:

at my job we're selling this dumbass halloween decoration that, normally, screams words at you as you pass it, but now the battery's low and the voice is all slowed down and lethargic and it sounds like a confused and drunken fred flinstone especially when it laughs

that sounds pretty good

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

tardwrangler posted:

H-B was universally horrible

Uh hello maybe you've heard of a little show called Scooby loving Doo?!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Quote-Unquote posted:

gently caress scooby doo it was and is a piece of poo poo

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Quote-Unquote posted:

the original 13 episodes of Scooby Doo were pretty bad. what it led to was p. good, but originally it was poo poo.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

If space ghost wasn't a piece of poo poo in the 60's then he couldn't of been hilarious in the 90's on space ghost coast to coast.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
even as a child I watched all sorts of cartoon network garbage but still turned off the tv when scooby doo came on

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh okay I honestly haven't seen any scooby doo since i was a kid but i remember loving it

apart from scrappy doo. gently caress that little poo poo.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
to be fair its one of the longest running television shows and it's probably just my personal preference

Quote-Unquote posted:

apart from scrappy doo. gently caress that little poo poo.
no body liked scrappy its a whole thing

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
It's a rock fact!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

KiteAuraan posted:

the original 13 episodes of Scooby Doo were pretty bad. what it led to was p. good, but originally it was poo poo.

how can you, a person getting mad about cartoons, call any scooby doo good?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Just realised Tom and Jerry was H-B, bu early vintage before that godawful 60's cut rate animation.

Lots of quality ultraviolence all set to an in house orchestra.

https://vimeo.com/69707920

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What about the movie versions of Hanna Barbera cartoons? Do they transcend the source material?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

What about the movie versions of Hanna Barbera cartoons? Do they transcend the source material?

in the first scooby doo live action movie scrappy doo pisses all over the rest of the gang, on purpose, while yelling at them iirc

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
At the time it was a mildly funny take on suburban life and pop culture. What do you expect from 50 year old cartoons?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol sat down with my nephews and put on Flinstones bc I remembered liking it as a kid and drat if it wasn't crap that we all hated

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Scooby Doo is even worse than the Flintstones. There is something mentally wrong with anyone who has ever enjoyed an episode of scooby doo, no matter what age. A child would find staring at the wall to be a better use of their time.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

children like scooby doo

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Man I remember when Cartoon Network first came around I thought it sounded so cool I mean all cartoons all the time??? But then 95% of it was hanna barbara trash that wasn't funny or interesting at all. It got better when they started putting in more newer cartoons and I loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast but that channel at first was one of my childhood's biggest letdowns in terms of entertainment.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

watched an episode where the gang gives Sonny and Cher a ride to a haunted hotel

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, somehow the Jetsons was actually good. Which is weird because it was just Space Flintstones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigq_U5-UiA

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gaunab posted:

tom and jerry is pretty bad

Except for the ones made in Prague, which are actually funny and imaginative. Even the Chuck Jones cartoons are terrible.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it was bad but remember when it came on the air there were 3 channels to choose from so a lot of people ended up seeing it and so that's how it became a pop culture artifact. And thanks to the universal appeal of nostalgia it'll take decades for it to cycle out of popularity thanks to the diminishing returns of generational memory.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

Man I remember when Cartoon Network first came around I thought it sounded so cool I mean all cartoons all the time??? But then 95% of it was hanna barbara trash that wasn't funny or interesting at all. It got better when they started putting in more newer cartoons and I loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast but that channel at first was one of my childhood's biggest letdowns in terms of entertainment.

I remember Toon Disney being better 95% of the time, since DuckTales and Darkwing Duck were on all the time and loving pro. But yeah, loving Coast to Coast, that was the reason to watch cartoon network.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

And gargoyles, gargoyles is good. Watched a few episodes as an adult and it holds up pretty well.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated was loving good, son

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

John Carter is fantasy, just in space. That's not just me saying it, it's classified as "science fantasy" and you don't really see it in classics of science fiction lists or classic science fiction collections. It's one of the grandfathers of the swords-and-sorcery stuff that inspired most modern fantasy settings (videogames), but that sort of stuff taking over and eclipsing other forms of sci-fi in general is pretty new.
i think even doctor who is harder-than-average in comparison to most scifi these days

:(

Doctor Discomfort posted:

Scooby Doo is even worse than the Flintstones. There is something mentally wrong with anyone who has ever enjoyed an episode of scooby doo, no matter what age. A child would find staring at the wall to be a better use of their time.
correct

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

OP apparently not having a gay old time

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i hated tom and jerry. jerry was such a loving rear end in a top hat. tom was just following orders, it wasn't his house

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

That DICK! posted:

i hated tom and jerry. jerry was such a loving rear end in a top hat. tom was just following orders, it wasn't his house

Tom, much like Donald Duck everytime Chip and Dale were involved, did nothing wrong.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
not gonna lie if betty was real i'd have her sit on my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Germstore posted:

And gargoyles, gargoyles is good. Watched a few episodes as an adult and it holds up pretty well.

said at the hospice where his father is dying, to a room full of people and uncomfortable silence

• Locked thread