Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hey kids don't forget to smoke cigarettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

What about the movie versions of Hanna Barbera cartoons? Do they transcend the source material?

in the first scooby doo live action movie scrappy doo pisses all over the rest of the gang, on purpose, while yelling at them iirc

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

I still remember when I was a kid I could hear the electronic whine in tube TVs and those anti theft monoliths they put at store exits. It's a really high frequency though, I haven't been able to hear it in ages.

Old capacitors would sometimes make that sound, especially the bigger ones and doubly-especially if they were cheaply made; it's the plates inside them vibrating. CRTs had huge capacitors and if an old crappy one made that whine it definitely made it LOUDLY. You probably don't hear the sound so much these days partly because super-high frequency hearing is the first thing that goes with age (which is why your teachers and parents could never hear the whine) and partly because modern electronics use way fewer capacitors that would be big enough to do that. It still pops up, the cable box that my parents have on their TV does it intermittently, but it's getting pretty rare.

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 13, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cyril Sneer posted:

What? No.

It's the coils on the flyback transformer coming loose after a number of years. You're hearing the thing vibrate at ~15.6 kHz. You don't hear it in modern electronics because they don't use flyback transforms to blast an electron beam across the screen.

You're right I didn't think of that but we are talking about very different sounds I think

• Locked thread