Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Game is unpacking. I am excited for comfy forest conversationalist simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy poo poo I already love this game's teeny tiny little touches. A cache box near the very start contains a deer antler, and if you comment on it Henry calls it a horn as per its mouseover text, which irks Delilah so she corrects him. The mouseover text then changes to say 'antler'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Olly Moss is a minimalism genius, I swear. I am not worthy. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finished it, playtime clocked at 4 hours on the minute. drat fine game, I could really feel my influence on the dialogue affecting Hank and Delilah's relationship. The story in general was very well-written as was, obviously, the dialogue itself. Beautiful graphics too. It's very hard to make "walking through the woods listening to a conversation" entertaining, and yet it never got old the entire time. Very, very good, definitely worth the money.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowman posted:

:siren:Ending Spoilers for a very minor thing:siren:

Did you look at the picture in Delilah's tower? I told her Henry wears a tux and had a thin mustache and scar so there he was in a tux with a thin mustache and scar. Turt Reynolds was there too. It's super adorable.

Yes, it was great. :allears:

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Is it just me or does a certain item - the camera - serve no purpose whatsoever? I used it a few times, but I'm not sure what the point was.

You have a new option on the main menu you should look at.

edit: Something I am curious about, which people who acted this way might be able to answer (endgame spoilers): Do you actually have to tell Delilah about your wife at some point, or does the game never make you? I noticed that the game gave me lots of opportunities near the beginning and I decided to be upfront about it because honesty is a good policy and all- but I also noticed that they didn't ever force the conversation on me until after I was honest. If you don't tell her when she asks... for people who held out as long as possible, when does it come up?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 9, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VolticSurge posted:

Alrighty,didn't purchase the game thanks to ending chat. Got conned once already (*cough*Life is Strange*cough*). Shame,looked kinda fun. :(

It's looking to be a very subjective thing. I enjoyed the ending a lot but I can see where people are coming from when they say it comes up a little short for the parking meter, so to speak. It is definitely not a reason to not buy the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Accordion Man posted:

If Jake's reading this though I did run into a glitch, when I went into the locked off part of the cave the dialogue said that Ned should have locked the gate behind me, but that never happened, I just progressed through the cave without it happening.

That part is a little janky; it's supposed to happen right after you hop down that first ledge (Henry turns around and makes note of the noise and everything), but if you are in the middle of hopping down when it triggers, it just doesn't play the sound or Henry's reaction at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Might do another playthrough later as rear end in a top hat Henry.

Personally, I can't. I would never ever be able to bring myself to do it. Which imo is a good thing.

edit: But the best thing about it is that unlike in some video games where your options are Token Good, Token Neutral, and Hitler, Henry being cagey with Delilah is just as in-character as opening up to her immediately like a real sad sack is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

But... why did he give Henry the key, then? If he hadn't done that, there was no way they were going down there. In fact, the only reason they did so is because of the key!

He shuts Henry in there thinking there's no way out and Henry will die there- which there isn't, because when you go in there the first time Henry doesn't have any anchors with which to repel down the shaft. Luckily, he has his axe pulaski tool which allows him to break open a path that leads out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

They really don't. I get that the research site belonged to someone else, the question is why Ned would do all this stuff that ultimately just provokes them into investigating him when all he could do was lie low for a while.

You're forgetting that what prompts Henry to become suspicious of the situation in the first place is finding Ned's notes on his conversations with Delilah. That's something that there is no covering up, and so Ned had to bullshit the whole experiment scenario surrounding the notes. Even though Henry had no possible leads at that time (because he didn't know anything was wrong until that moment), he now knew he was being watched and listened to, which meant Ned had to come up with a reason why that would be.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 10, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well, I'm going to write some words about this game!

I had high hopes that this wasn't just going to be another one of those kinds of games. You know the ones, the 2 hour walking simulator where "the journey *is* the story. I even asked my friend if it was one of those kinds of games and they told me that it was an actual game with a story which made me actually interested.

I was really loving bummed out with how it ended up. The character interaction between Henry and Delilah was great at the start. It was natural and funny dialogue between 2 people running away from their problems and trying to deal with them in the middle of the rear end nowhere wilderness. Then when the game throws the curveball in the story about the hi-jacked radios and the hint of some government meddling/experiment I started to get pretty invested, I love a good sci-fi and was hoping that it would pan out in the way the game wanted you to have it pan out.

But then the twist happens. All of the build up just ended up landing so loving flat for me. Secret government operations? Hidden camps? Locked caves with potential answers and even more questions? Nope. Just a dead kid. It all came crashing down with an emaciated corpse. Was I actually supposed to feel something there? Because to me I just felt cheated out of a good story that ended up to be just another loving bait and switch walking simulator. I felt like they could have done so much more with the story and character interaction Then at the very end when you find the tape addressed to you it just made me angry. That was the huge reveal? Just a PTSD guy who went mad after his kid accidentally died.

I honestly think it would have worked better as an indie film.

The grounded banality of the actual reveal in comparison to Delilah and Henry's wild theories is the entire point of it being the truth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broken Cog posted:

Was I supposed to give a poo poo about this Brian kid?

Not necessarily.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

I got the sense that at least you're supposed to give a poo poo that Delilah gives a poo poo, but at some point it just felt like they were clumsily trying to strongarm an emotion onto the player, it just didn't work for me at all.

With all of the ways there are to interpret Henry's reaction to the situation and eventually finding out the truth, you chose "they're trying to force me to feel something", huh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Optimus Subprime posted:

Did anyone else feel that the character study aspect of game being kind of weak? I think the game needed another hour or 2 to flesh out the Henry and Delilah relationship more. I didn't feel like she was my only life line since the game only took about 4 hours and I didn't feel vested in their relationship.

The one thing I do wish we got more of is those little snapshots where it's just 2 or 3 minute conversations. I get that the time skips getting bigger and bigger is to imply the long passage of time and thus their relationship building, but seeing a little more of it firsthand would've been just as pleasant.

I'm really excited to play this game with my sister, letting her make the dialogue choices. She loves stuff like The Walking Dead and similar where the game lets you create your own winding dialogue path, so it'll be interesting to see how she plays Henry.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 10, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mortimer posted:

Steam refunded me after 2.8 hours played so go ahead and try it if you had a bad time like me!

It only stops refunding you when it rolls over to 3 hours played when you look at it on your library. If it still says 2 hours played, even if that's in actuality 2h 58m, it will still refund you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Osmosisch posted:

This game had exactly the opposite effect for me because Henry was doing all the talking, not me. I felt like some sort of passenger rather than having agency like I did in Gone Home where I was doing my own investigation.

The silent protagonist may be a cliche, but it works for a reason.

You choosing what he says, when he speaks, and how he responds to other people talking to him wasn't enough agency?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I said it a number of pages back, but I agree that the game could've used a little more just stuff in general. I feel like the story is very tightly knit to the point where it's a bit too tight- everything happens over the span of almost 80 days, but I feel like we don't see enough of those 80 days for it to feel like that long. Honestly that's probably my only complaint about the writing in general.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Republicans posted:

In a game that's all about fun little moments this seems like an inexcusable oversight.

You're in luck, he was talking about going there before the day where the code is changed. So the thing you want to try is still potentially a thing.

edit: But even so, I'm not sure how that's inexcusable, I would say it's more inexcusable of you to expect them to plan for people playing the game through multiple times just for one dialogue change.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm, I think you might be right. I remember the dialogue being prompted but she probably tells you anyway if you don't say anything. In which case, that shows that at least they thought of that possibility.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Relaxodon posted:

Maybe I am missing something obvious but why didn't Ned just bury his son at some point?

In addition to what Moartoast said further up the page: he couldn't get to him, because Brian stole the anchors from him and hid them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, nothin. Super super bummed

Try going to where you installed the game at and launching the exe manually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In order of questions asked:

Delilah didn't go past Henry's tower because at that point they both knew Ned was watching him there, but not from where he was doing so. She went the long way around, via the west end of the map.

Delilah explicitly cannot see the fence or into the research site, and on your way to track down the drunk girls you can point out its existence to her and she tells you she can't spot it because it's in the valley between mountains. Once you've explored the site, there is an optional conversation where you find a dead elk wearing a collar, at which point she recalls reading about an animal tracking experiment taking place in the area and reveals that she did in fact know about the site but had forgotten until that moment.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the photos of Ned and Brian- if you're talking about the ones in the credits, those are from the camera Henry found in Brian's backpack.

Ned and Brian never being reported missing- to Delilah's knowledge anyway -might be a legitimate plothole. As far as I've seen, it's never addressed one way or another besides her saying that they just up and left in the middle of the summer when you find Brian's backpack.

Also, the whole forest is about to be consumed by fire so it's probably not the best time to go reporting a body. If you want you can pretend like Henry and Delilah reported it after evacuating, because that would make sense provided you took pictures of Ned's hideout and such- otherwise, any evidence of his or Brian's being there in the first place will be up in flames.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dolash posted:

What was Ned doing while everything burned, anyway? I assume he wasn't choppered out, did he just start walking back to civilization? The fire would destroy all the evidence apart from what you'd found and photographed, I'm kind of surprised he didn't try to kill you in the end. The game didn't have to end in a brawl, but he'd already tried to lock you in the caves and knock you out that time with thrown rocks.

He went further into the forest to escape from the fire- or at least, that's what Henry speculates he did.

Scorchy posted:

Yeah this was pretty funny I took all the scenic photographs they wanted, but when I got to the part inside the cave, I started leaving, but doubled back to take photographic evidence in case I couldn't make it out or something. So during the credits it started rolling past beautiful sunset, beautiful trees, a rotting corpse, beautiful lakes... if only that picture of the dead body wasn't in there I would have considered printing them off for realsies at the firewatch.camera site.

I didn't explore the site for long because when I was using it, it was still busted because the game had only been out for a few hours, but iirc firewatch.camera lets you pick and choose which ones you want to potentially make prints of. You don't have to nab all of them, I don't think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ja2ke posted:

It's flat rate $15 including shipping no matter whats on your roll, so you can always chuck a print if you dont want it after it arrives.

There are gonna be so many drat prints of Brian's dead body and Ned's secret hideaway :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From a response from her in the comments:

It's really just not her kind of game. But how about maybe don't do a let's play of it for your youtube channel that is representative of the game if it's not your kind of game, then??

edit:

of course, it not being her kind of game doesn't exempt her from bein kind of a poo poo about it. yeah, get in those snipes at the game you did a full playthrough of. that'll show it. :rolleyes:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dan Didio posted:

I think it's fine to not like a game, actually.

The issue here is not that she does not like the game, the issue is she's saying the game is bad to 11,000 people because she doesn't like it. If your reasoning is "I don't like the game, therefore it is bad", maybe the problem is with you and not the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dan Didio posted:

I think it's fine to speak to your audience, and to tell them wether you think a game is bad or not.
Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

She doesn't have an obligation to do that. It would be nice and polite of her, but it's not really her responsibility to qualify her opinions, she's not press.

Why should anyone respect your opinions if you don't qualify them? In most cases the qualification doesn't need to be said and it's just inferred, but the way she's choosing to show the game to other people is very specific in its presentation. It's a way that 99% of people who play the game won't experience it in. Not taking that into account in how you feel about the game is poor form. And you're right, nobody is required to have a thought-out point of view, but the larger your reach is the more important it should be to you to do so.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso posted:

Why... why does this matter? :confused: Who cares?

This is like when I see people get mad at Game Grumps when Arin is bad at a game, but blames the game instead of himself. Is the game a personal family member? Or like are you personal friends with all the thousands of people watching?

Also her complaints are perfectly valid

What do you mean, 'who cares'? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have posted about it. What I'm saying is, there's a difference between "I don't like the game" and "the game is bad" and to correlate the two in front of lots of people who are looking to you for an impression on the game is bad. It matters because people who see her say the game is bad will also think the game is bad and then not look into it themselves to form their own opinion- the reason I care about that is because I like Firewatch and want people to look at Firewatch even if they find out they also don't like it after they look at it.

Megaspel posted:

You seem pretty pissed off at this woman who said she doesn't like a game you like.

If this is what you call "pissed off" then someone who's not pissed off must look like the zen buddha to you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ledenko posted:

So it's only ok to criticize things you don't personally like?

Also, should I apologize for not liking a narrative experience about broken people that goes from somewhat charming to misleading and ends up bland?

I'm interested in hearing how you gleaned that from what I said.

• Locked thread