Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Dregs posted:

I hate this loving state and I can't wait to get out

If only your wife hadn't thrown out all the booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Well since I know from GBS that the south is bad, and a lot of people in the south are being hosed by the legal system, perhaps they deserve it, and the world is Just after all?

I think it's more of a sign that when any alternate history book portrays the South as some kind of paradise that the author is being deeply sarcastic. If the South really had been allowed to secede, we would have people signing up for a wall among the Mason-Dixon line and Mexico would be all for building a wall to keep the South from jumping their border.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
Was googling "State's Rights" and found this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Of course it was about slavery nimrod. I'm not saying the civil war wasn't about slavery.

I'm saying that hey maybe it was about other poo poo also.

Oh yes, it was also about White Supremacy. Let's take a look at Texas' Declaration of Causes of Secession.

quote:

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.

Very much the Southern governments were concerned with maintaining a slavery orientated white supremacist form of government that had existed as long as slave ships had been coming to North America's shores. ANIME IS BLOOD is wrong in one area: the founders did not think that slavery would be something that would die out. Patrick Henry, James Madison, and George Mason, all who supported slavery in its then current form, raised a stink about maintaining the South's ability to keep slaves. In fact, the 2nd Amendment was created as a concession to get Virginia and other slave states to sign off on the Constitution in 1791. They needed federal guarantee that southern slave patrols would always have the right to be armed so as to put down slave rebellions, several of which had been raging before the Revolution, as well as maintain their slavery police state. All the South's political history from the very foundation of the country has been an effort to maintain, promote, and retain a slave state. The Civil War happened because there were elements of other states and private citizens that thought the whole slavery thing wasn't really that great anymore, and no one should do it.

The Union won, but I think the South is winning the ensuing culture war. The fact that people in this thread are going back to the tired old "MANY OTHER CAUSES, ECONOMICS, NORTH JUST AS BAD" bullshit is proof enough. But if you look elsewhere in the country, where there are military bases named after Confederate generals, Confederacy war memorials are some of the most numerous memorials maintained, history books being printed that are calling slaves "workers" or "migrants", people ask tour guides at former plantations if the master was "kind" to his slaves, and this bullshit, you see that Confederate apologia is alive and well.

The South needed to be broken intellectually after the Civil War, and that sadly did not happen. Former confederates were able to write in newspapers, novels, and pamphlets and do what all the cannons and soldiers in the world could not do for the Confederacy. It's really unfortunate that this ignorance over the history of Civil War has all been by design. And we continue to allow it to happen, because the legacy of the Confederate writers is still with us. It's ingrained into Southern intellectual culture, and that filters down into the peckerheads that did this, and all the other idiots that propagate bullshit like it.

TNG fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 12, 2015

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

If only your wife hadn't thrown out all the booze

She can buy her drat booze in another state. or we can move to a dry state and help her addiction

this is what I get for marrying a native isn't it

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 12, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TNG posted:

Very much the Southern governments were concerned with maintaining a slavery orientated white supremacist form of government that had existed as long as slave ships had been coming to North America's shores. ANIME IS BLOOD is wrong in one area: the founders did not think that slavery would be something that would die out. Patrick Henry, James Madison, and George Mason, all who supported slavery in its then current form, raised a stink about maintaining the South's ability to keep slaves. In fact, the 2nd Amendment was created as a concession to get Virginia and other slave states to sign off on the Constitution in 1781. They needed federal guarantee that southern slave patrols would always have the right to be armed so as to put down slave rebellions, several of which had been raging before the Revolution, as well as maintain their slavery police state. All the South's political history from the very foundation of the country has been an effort to maintain, promote, and retain a slave state. The Civil War happened because there were elements of other states and private citizens that thought the whole slavery thing wasn't really that great anymore, and no one should do it.

The founders weren't a monoculture and had a diversity of opinions - Benjamin Franklin founded one of the first anti-slavery societies, and Jefferson, while he owned slaves, hoped that the next generation of Americans would be able to end the practice. The fact is that slavery was well established long before the founders and is not something that can be dumped on their laps nor was their failure to end it an indictment of the US as a whole

As for the 2nd amendment for the love of God don't summon Tezzor to this thread as well :gonk:

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 12, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

The founders weren't a monoculture and had a diversity of opinions - Benjamin Franklin founded one of the first anti-slavery societies, and Jefferson, while he owned slaves, hoped that the next generation of Americans would be able to end the practice. The fact is that slavery was well established long before the founders and is not something that can be dumped on their laps

As for the 2nd amendment for the love of God don't summon Tezzor to this thread as well :gonk:

How brave of jefferson to wait for someone else to banish the slaves, what a true hero

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

The founders weren't a monoculture and had a diversity of opinions - Benjamin Franklin founded one of the first anti-slavery societies, and Jefferson, while he owned slaves, hoped that the next generation of Americans would be able to end the practice. The fact is that slavery was well established long before the founders and is not something that can be dumped on their laps nor was their failure to end it an indictment of the US as a whole

No, but your argument was that "The founders believed that slavery would die out", when in fact there were big blocks of them who did all in their power to make sure that it would stick around. I would also say that the very fabric of this country from its inception is based on White Supremacist ideology, and that very much is their fault. For as much as you ballyhoo Jefferson, read his "Notes on the State of Virginia" for what he thought about Black People and their role in society.

TNG fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 13, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The end of the Civil War should have been celebrated "Carthage Style".

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Blistex posted:

salt the very ruins of the south

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Came to post that.
Also lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jfc people the lesson of the civil war is all white people are terrible, its not that complicated

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The only things John Brown and William Tecumseh Sherman did wrong was that they couldn't go on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Next you're going to tell me that Bleeding Kansas wasn't about slavery either, it was just random violence that occurred for no reason in Kansas :razz:

Well I mean, it all really comes down to money in the end.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TNG posted:

Oh yes, it was also about White Supremacy. Let's take a look at Texas' Declaration of Causes of Secession.

Very much the Southern governments were concerned with maintaining a slavery orientated white supremacist form of government that had existed as long as slave ships had been coming to North America's shores. ANIME IS BLOOD is wrong in one area: the founders did not think that slavery would be something that would die out. Patrick Henry, James Madison, and George Mason, all who supported slavery in its then current form, raised a stink about maintaining the South's ability to keep slaves. In fact, the 2nd Amendment was created as a concession to get Virginia and other slave states to sign off on the Constitution in 1791. They needed federal guarantee that southern slave patrols would always have the right to be armed so as to put down slave rebellions, several of which had been raging before the Revolution, as well as maintain their slavery police state. All the South's political history from the very foundation of the country has been an effort to maintain, promote, and retain a slave state. The Civil War happened because there were elements of other states and private citizens that thought the whole slavery thing wasn't really that great anymore, and no one should do it.

The Union won, but I think the South is winning the ensuing culture war. The fact that people in this thread are going back to the tired old "MANY OTHER CAUSES, ECONOMICS, NORTH JUST AS BAD" bullshit is proof enough. But if you look elsewhere in the country, where there are military bases named after Confederate generals, Confederacy war memorials are some of the most numerous memorials maintained, history books being printed that are calling slaves "workers" or "migrants", people ask tour guides at former plantations if the master was "kind" to his slaves, and this bullshit, you see that Confederate apologia is alive and well.

The South needed to be broken intellectually after the Civil War, and that sadly did not happen. Former confederates were able to write in newspapers, novels, and pamphlets and do what all the cannons and soldiers in the world could not do for the Confederacy. It's really unfortunate that this ignorance over the history of Civil War has all been by design. And we continue to allow it to happen, because the legacy of the Confederate writers is still with us. It's ingrained into Southern intellectual culture, and that filters down into the peckerheads that did this, and all the other idiots that propagate bullshit like it.

This sounds logical but it also sounds very much like historical revisionism.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TNG posted:

No, but your argument was that "The founders believed that slavery would die out", when in fact there were big blocks of them who did all in their power to make sure that it would stick around. I would also say that the very fabric of this country from its inception is based on White Supremacist ideology, and that very much is their fault. For as much as you ballyhoo Jefferson, read his "Notes on the State of Virginia" on what he thought about Black People and their role in society.

It was a situation all of them inherited which they dealt with to the best of their ability at the time, and I'm pretty sure that American ideals set forth in the Constitution were, going forward, better motivation to end slavery than otherwise, and as far as my ballyhooing of Jefferson goes you still haven't acknowledged the work of Benjamin Franklin or John Jay and Alexander Hamilton in agitating against slavery

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 13, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TNG posted:

The only things John Brown and William Tecumseh Sherman did wrong was that they couldn't go on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude who cares what exactly precisely the stupid loving founding fathers wanted about slavery. They put the amendments in there so that poo poo could change if it had to, and poo poo changed, so it did.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

SHISHKABOB posted:

Dude who cares what exactly precisely the stupid loving founding fathers wanted about slavery. They put the amendments in there so that poo poo could change if it had to, and poo poo changed, so it did.

because it's important to understand how and why poo poo happened to try and avoid even more poo poo happening in the future~

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I don't get why America couldn't have its own apartheid on the South after the war.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

TNG posted:

The South needed to be broken intellectually after the Civil War, and that sadly did not happen.

The whole nation's paying for it and will continue to pay for it until someone figures out how to put the idea of the confederacy in an banned police chokehold until it stops breathing.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Did they import that jury from California, because how in the gently caress? :psyduck:

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
wel'l see u again

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

The whole nation's paying for it and will continue to pay for it until someone figures out how to put the idea of the confederacy in an banned police chokehold until it stops breathing.

I'll never understand how we can take the bombed out ruins of post-WWII Nazi Germany and somehow have it turn into what it is today but gently caress up so completely with the South

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
if you're going to blame America for anything blame it for loving up after the Civil War, which is what should have been our new lease on life

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

It was a situation all of them inherited which they dealt with to the best of their ability at the time, and I'm pretty sure that American ideals set forth in the Constitution were, going forward, better motivation to end slavery than otherwise, and as far as my ballyhooing of Jefferson goes you still haven't acknowledged the work of Benjamin Franklin or John Jay and Alexander Hamilton in agitating against slavery

Well the best of their ability being "I want to continue to profit off the forced labor of African Slaves" or "I want this Country to be a thing, so I guess I'll go along with all the hypocritical racism". For all the efforts of the anti slavery blocks, which side exactly got all the concessions in the Constitution towards Southern slave states? I don't remember the 13th or 14th Amendments or anything like it in the original document or the Bill of Rights. I do see things like 3/5ths compromise for census purposes, the dreaded 2nd Amendment, and no real consideration to end the bondage of millions. John Jay, and you're right he did try, did write about how they were all a bunch of hypocrites, but it isn't like that got anything written in to put an end to it, because a lot of economic power was derived from slavery and thus a lot of political power.

But my argument is thus: The causes for the Civil War extended back to the Revolution, and before. We as a people need to divorce ourselves from myths, both Confederate revisionism and from our founders as well. If we're going to end White Supremacism in this country, we need to say that these men certainly did not have all the answers and that we need different and better thinking for ourselves going forward.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

we, for some god forsaken reason, decided to treat the remains of Southern power like they were human, like they deserved mercy, like there was some value in leaving them alive, not only to us, but to the rest of humanity

we assumed, we acted, like we had won the war, and in so doing surrendered that very war to them, and on their terms

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Premeditated Toast posted:

Was googling "State's Rights" and found this.

added to op

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

we, for some god forsaken reason, decided to treat the remains of Southern power like they were human, like they deserved mercy, like there was some value in leaving them alive, not only to us, but to the rest of humanity

we assumed, we acted, like we had won the war, and in so doing surrendered that very war to them, and on their terms

Have you not heard of Reconstruction.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yes reconstruction, that thing we stopped doing before it ever really got going, yes bring that up like it's something in your own favor

idiot

you idiot moron

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TNG posted:

Well the best of their ability being "I want to continue to profit off the forced labor of African Slaves" or "I want this Country to be a thing, so I guess I'll go along with all the hypocritical racism". For all the efforts of the anti slavery blocks, which side exactly got all the concessions in the Constitution towards Southern slave states? I don't remember the 13th or 14th Amendments or anything like it in the original document or the Bill of Rights. I do see things like 3/5ths compromise for census purposes, the dreaded 2nd Amendment, and no real consideration to end the bondage of millions. John Jay, and you're right he did try, did write about how they were all a bunch of hypocrites, but it isn't like that got anything written in to put an end to it, because a lot of economic power was derived from slavery and thus a lot of political power.

the 3/5 compromise wasn't some sly "gotcha :smug:" on black people, it was intended to curtail the political power of the South by not letting them use their slaves as automatic voting blocs; if anything it was a strike against the South from the get-go. And again, for the love of God leave the 2nd amendment out of this because this thread is bad enough between me and everyone else without summoning Tezzor

TNG posted:

But my argument is thus: The causes for the Civil War extended back to the Revolution, and before. We as a people need to divorce ourselves from myths, both Confederate revisionism and from our founders as well. If we're going to end White Supremacism in this country, we need to say that these men certainly did not have all the answers and that we need different and better thinking for ourselves going forward.
if we divorce ourselves from the founding we're divorcing ourselves from the ideals which inspired them which in my mind is far more dangerous. The main reason we give a poo poo about slavery is because we have it instilled in us that freedom is the right and natural condition and we owe that to the fundamental character of this country

Nobody is saying that the founders are infallible, me least of all, but acting as if they had nothing of value to contribute then or now is just as stupid

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

NecroMonster posted:

yes reconstruction, that thing we stopped doing before it ever really got going, yes bring that up like it's something in your own favor

idiot

you idiot moron

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

also i definitely believe that dude is actually from california i really dont think hed lie about being from the south in a thread about how lovely the south is in which he is defending the south

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

And you still didn't answer my question; if the civil war started because of a moral imperative to end slavery, then why were slave states who did not rebel allowed to keep their slaves?

Also if the war was started because of slavery, then why were the slaves not freed until the Emancipation Proclamation over two years after the war's beginning?

Either the war was about slavery and from the beginning it was clear that it was meant to free slaves, or it was a mix of both. I'll give you a hint: most white people in the Northern government didn't care about black slaves. They cared about political power and cohesion. Abraham Lincoln didn't say 'I'll be damned if the slavery continues on my watch,' he said 'I'll be damned if I let the union split apart on my watch.'

Maybe you should apologize to your AP US History teacher bc you obviously didn't pay attention since you figured you knew everything already.

And I don't live in the South btw.

Yo the south started the war amigo and they started it over slavery peace

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

because it's important to understand how and why poo poo happened to try and avoid even more poo poo happening in the future~
nah. analyzing the intentions of people alive 150 years ago (or even today) is going to be overwhelmingly about making it suit your current political narrative

maybe we should judge people by their actions instead and forget the notion that good intent matters when you do evil poo poo

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

idiot

you idiot moron

:allears:

No wonder so many US History professors are depressed. It truly is a lost cause in the face of stupidity.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Blistex posted:

Carthage was rebuilt and became one of the largest and most important cities in the Empire, especially for early Christianity.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also this was the 2nd american civil war over slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

:allears:

No wonder so many US History professors are depressed. It truly is a lost cause in the face of stupidity.

yes but did you ever consider *points at large pile of smelly poo poo*

• Locked thread