Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Same OP. I'm going to be all over the PC release even though I beat the game twice in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If you wanted a dungeon crawler, then I really hope that you got Dark Arisen because it's a really good dungeon.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The main game only has a few dungeons, but they're cool. Bitterblack Isle though is gigantic and completely remixes the enemies after you beat it once. I love it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The game is really just too good for the ps3 so I can't wait to play the smooth rear end PC version. It's made in the same engine as DMC4 so the port is sure to be great.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

is dark arisen liike, a whole new game? like is it separate from the main game or does it just add stuff.

There are some changes to the main game, but it's mostly a really big dungeon on an island not in Gransys. It has its own storyline and some really great new bosses and enemies.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SombereroLad posted:

my quest for dragon's dogma gifs begins

I made this one that shows off some kick combos.

http://i.imgur.com/oLah0Ul.gifv

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

this... I want this..

There's also a move where you jump into the air and do like 6 front flips while your daggers slice into enemies.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

which class is it.

Strider. It's the helm/skull/brain splitter skill.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mystic Archer is my fave, but I mastered every vocation in my hard mode run and had fun playing all of them. Hard mode is awesome if you want to play a lot of vocations because you get way more discipline points and don't every have to grind for them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I believe in the MT Framework game engine.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How are the core mechanics "lost" on the plot of the game. That doesn't make any sense at all.

As far as the other complaints go, most of them are fixed in Dark Arisen. The biggest thing is the addition of way more fast travel points which cuts down on the travel time. There are two more permanent points and four more that you can place anywhere in Gransys. You can more or less ignore the everfall in this version because Bitterblack Isle has way better equipment. You really only need to go there to get a few wakestones for when you want to get the ending, if you even want to do that when you can just play Bitterblack for so long.

I definitely disagree on the open world being barren. I was always running into monsters to fight.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

does anyone have advice RE: pawns? should i be training up my generics, or just swapping them out ever few levels?

Definitely always have a pawn around with Anodyne/High Anodyne. I like to have one that can cure status effects as well, because if there's one thing I don't like about this game it's how much inventory management there can be.

I played through the whole game using Capcom pawns, and its clear that they're all randomly generated because their movesets make no sense. You have to dig for the ones that have the moves that you want. Don't be afraid to spend rift crystals to buy higher level pawns, they'll last a while before you need to swap them out for new ones.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 15, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SombereroLad posted:

Something that i hope mods will fix is mystic knights actually pulling out their shields when you draw your weapons. It always bothered me that you get a sick great shield but your character always keeps it strapped to their back in a fight unless you're blocking

This, but only because it hid my badass cape made out of gryphon feathers.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Staying as a fighter for early levels is good no matter what vocation you want to be later, because you get a ton of hp growth.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

I was expecting Warrior to be sick because i love Big Two-Hander classes, but I wasn't expecting to basically be one-shotting chimeras with an insanely long charge up attack. this vocation owns

I'm a little worried I might be screwing myself out of Stamina growth by playing as it but I guess I could just swap back and forth between this and Assassin. it doesnt seem like stamina is much of a problem after a certain point anyway

Liquid Vim (infinite stamina) becomes kind of common in bitterblack, and you can always bring mushrooms around to refill stamina. Getting a lot of stamina is nice anyway just to be able to sprint more, so it's up to you really.

I got a great hammer with three heads on my hard mode run and beat the hell out of everything, it was so drat fun. My only issue with Warrior is that it doesn't get any skills on L1. That and flying enemies are a little tough to deal with but that's true for every vocation that doesn't have a ranged weapon.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 17, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

Hmm can you even be a stealth archer in this game because that would also be cool

I guess, but I think the assassin augment that gives you bonus damage when hitting enemies that aren't in their battle stance is bugged. There is a stealth/invisibility dagger skill that you can use, and you can use any of your other abilities while invisible.

Assassin is super versatile and fun. Four skill types (sword, dagger, shield and bow) as well as the highest strength growth in the game makes them a good class to play around with for the mid game.

Swords are really powerful and get some amazing skills like dragon's maw, but once you go dagger it's hard to go back. I love to double jump.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 17, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

By BBI I felt like my dagger assassin didn't do enough damage (or got killed too easily? One of those) but I was offline and using lovely default pawns so maybe it was a support team failure more thna anything

Hundred Kisses + 4 conqueror's periapts my friend. Fournival sells em.

Hundred Kisses is one of the best dagger skills because you can use it while clinging to monsters when otherwise you could only do normal attacks. The extra damage really racks up.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 17, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

01011001 posted:

oh poo poo i had no idea, that owns

think i still like swords better but that changes a lot

Assassins also get a sword skill that you can use while clinging to monsters. I think it's called gouge.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

small hendren posted:

Can I change from assassin to fighter so that i can get the fighter skills i missed, and then back to assassin without messing anything up stats wise or whatever.?

Yes, you will be fine unless you're an insane minmaxer. I played every vocation on hard mode and was able to clear everything in the game.

Of the fighter augments I'd say you really want Sinew and Vehemence if you're going to be an assassin.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

today i found a cave behind a water fall, explored it for some awesome treasure including a flaming sword, and then owned the poo poo out of a cyclopes for all of its loot

That flame sword kicks rear end, I used it for a while.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

there's a version that gets all hot and bothered around men... it gave george some trouble.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

you can put all your dudes in dresses and talk to her, she gives you a quest to kill some of the male bandits that have the magic book for that other quest.

afterwards she gives you an item that makes bandits in northern gransys avoid you which is pretty nice imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

George got with Ser Mercedes, which required me not to save the Duchess. It's a drat shame that you can't get with both of them.

• Locked thread