Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MAL posted:

The year is 1968, and the world is swept up in the Vietnam War and student protests. In this time of turmoil, a mysterious young man with white and black hair and a scar on his face is enrolled in medical school. His genius skills with a surgical knife achieve many a medical miracle and are getting noticed. This hero origin story reveals how this young man earned his medical degree and the name of Black Jack.

So this is my candidate for show of the season. An adaptation of a Manga that started in 2011, it serves as a prequel to the famed Black Jack manga by Ozamu "God of Manga" Tezuka. It has an amazing OP/ED and it really catches the spirit of the original manga, with somewhat more realistic portrayals of Tezuka's cartoonish characters (and Black Jack himself being more of a bishounen than the original). It also has some cool setting, being on late sixties Japan, and the next chapter will even deal with the Vietnam war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Space reserved for adding more Medical anime/Manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Is this show canonically before or after he makes a living human being out of a formerly cancerous tumor?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Young Jack Black

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Space reserved for adding more Medical anime/Manga.

say hello to black jack

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not really familiar with Black Jack, so if there's a lot of foreshadowing and stuff going on then its lost on me. That said, I really enjoyed the first episode - backroom cutting edge surgery is a fun set up. Second episode felt like it was a little rushed on the back end, especially the 'twist', but I like how camp the supporting cast is.

The one thing I will say is that the character designs going from the fairly modern looking Black Jack to the more quirky design of some of the other characters is a little jarring. The parents in the first episode looked like they were out of Professor Layton. The music was a bit hit and miss as well.

But that first episode surgery was so good, so I'm definitely going to stick with this. Any anime with an opiate addicted sidekick is alright by me.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Is this show canonically before or after he makes a living human being out of a formerly cancerous tumor?

before. so sadly no pinoko

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

say hello to black jack

Franken Fran x Black Jack otp

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

say hello to black jack

SUPER DOCTOR K

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bad Seafood posted:

That was literally psychic and could use psychokinesis. And then Pinoko was no longer Psychic. Honestly her origin story is the most messed up thing, and makes no sense, but she is an awesome character nonetheless. I'll have to check this show out, even if she wont be in it. I suppose we'll see more stuff about Blackjacks former lover, what'shisname, before the incident.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show is cool also the original BlackJack manga is great and Tezuka was a doctor before he started drawing manga so it's a nice mix of actual medical stuff and crazy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i can't help but continually misread this anime's name as young jack black

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I only clicked this cuz of the tag.

Who is the Kaz Miller cosplayer?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

This show is cool also the original BlackJack manga is great and Tezuka was a doctor before he started drawing manga so it's a nice mix of actual medical stuff and crazy.

I need to watch the original soon. Tezuka FTW

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I've only read volume 1 of Black Jack, but one of the things I loved about Black Jack is that he had life figured out; he had his own moral code and an earned confidence and most of the stories were about him affecting the lives of other people with problems instead of having to solve his own personal issues. He's a badass, basically.
When I heard about this I was worried that a story about a young Black Jack would show him being less badass and more immature like a typical protagonist. But the Vietnam stuff sounds interesting so I'll check this out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the focus on the the ethics side since there's not much tension at the moment in wether the 'genius surgeon's' surgeries are actually going to work. That said that was some melodrama and the activists were one step away from wearing a cloak and monocle and cackling at BJ in episode 3. Also no shirt removal this week. :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hanoi Jane is one callous bitch

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The best part of the 2nd episode was that instead of performing a heart transplant, which had been performed by the time period, he performed a full face transplant, which had not been successfully conducted until 2010. So he basically moved from one very difficult surgery to one which was impossible in the 70s, and wouldn't happen till about 40 years later.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This show is the stones.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
this is nothing to do with Jack Black lead singer of Tenacious D though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Optimus Subprime posted:

The best part of the 2nd episode was that instead of performing a heart transplant, which had been performed by the time period, he performed a full face transplant, which had not been successfully conducted until 2010. So he basically moved from one very difficult surgery to one which was impossible in the 70s, and wouldn't happen till about 40 years later.
Yes, that was ridiculous.

Why is Black Jack worried about performing unlicensed surgeries in the 2nd and 3rd episodes when he didn't seem to care about it in the first episode?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Wow, the character name drop at the end of episode 6 caught me completely off guard.

The Vietnam part is finished and it seems the next one is about racism in America, the character cards in the credits have switched too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Sorry about the bump, but I felt the thread needed some quality pics (Warning: spoilers for episodes 9-11) from the gritty medical drama, Young Black Jack.

Anyway, I just finished binge watching this over the last two days after the first five episodes were loving fantastic and boy, it was a ride. The episode 9-11 story was really off the wall compared to the serious mood the series established with the Vietnam War stuff, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I particularly liked the side characters being brought back in various ways, e.g. the fake cult leader helping Black Jack get into Vietnam, the CIA guy being involved in other cases and the revolution lady re-appearing in a different group. Yabu also had some cool character development.

The end credit cards comparing the anime's modern interpretations of Tezuka's various characters was also great, and makes me wish they would animate Pluto.

Please animate Pluto, Tezuka Productions. :(

• Locked thread