Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what's your favorite fast casual dining option
Chip Olé
Panerama
Cheesed cake inc.
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
metal, fire and beating the poo poo out of things with a hammer are all extremely badass things but did you know you can combine them and make new types of loving awesome poo poo out of metal? you gotta get a piece of metal so hot it goddamn glows and then wail on it with a hammer and i poo poo you not you can actually change its shape

believe it or not, this son of a bitch used to be almost flat

i guess if you wanna get fancy you can get something called an advil to put the metal on before you bash it (it is the thing that gets dropped on cartoons heads most often that ain't a piano) but if you have a basement and don't mind loving up the concrete that works fine but keep a fan going or something if you're gonna bring your heating grill down there cause you need vent and lation so you don't croak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im going to make a sthword

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i forged a baby inside your mom's poosay by getting it red hot and then wailing on it for hours

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
that's how hephaestus was conceived

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

my family has had at least one smith per generation for the last 8th exept for my fathers, my cousin however is a smith again

my advice is heat that poo poo up, then hammer it, hammer it good, oh yeah baby you like that you think this is so hot dont you

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
do you ever find that your larder is nearly empty by the end of the month because you have spent all of your coinage on smithing supplies?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

cool propellor op

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i believe it i believe that propellor used to be flat

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Son of Rodney posted:

my family has had at least one smith per generation for the last 8th exept for my fathers, my cousin however is a smith again

my advice is heat that poo poo up, then hammer it, hammer it good, oh yeah baby you like that you think this is so hot dont you

if you don't have a grill to make the metal hot put it on a fuckin stove and let that poo poo sit there for like a half hour

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
oh cool maybe you can me with this. i regularly prepare large meals for 50-60 warriors on medieval battlefields (sometimes exhausting my bank account!!), and have a large capacity cauldron that would greatly assist in sating their hunger. however, every time i make soup the top stays raw while the bottom completely burns. thoughts?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my blacksmithing is at 100

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

a toaster works too, I recently made a spoon out of a fork by putting it into the toaster heating it up all poo poo hot yeah and then just SLAMMIN my hammer on it so bad, so good, aw lord yes

highly recommended

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
so youre heating up bars of metal with your grill and banging on them in your basement huh. that sounds like something a mentally retarded person would do

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i alone know the secret to cold-forged Valerian steel

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Box of Trial posted:

that's how hephaestus was conceived

Hephaestus was usually portrayed as an invalid, and that was because during the Bronze Age Collapse blacksmiths who knew how to process iron had their leg maimed so they couldn't run and sell the technology to possible rivals.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Libelous Slander posted:

oh cool maybe you can me with this. i regularly prepare large meals for 50-60 warriors on medieval battlefields (sometimes exhausting my bank account!!), and have a large capacity cauldron that would greatly assist in sating their hunger. however, every time i make soup the top stays raw while the bottom completely burns. thoughts?

well if you don't feel like stirring it tell them to quit bitching or else gently caress of

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Box of Trial posted:

well if you don't feel like stirring it tell them to quit bitching or else gently caress of

get this it ry to stir it but the spoon melts (*laughter*( hah but seriously folks now i have to make my armour from SPOONs (haha)S it's like i'm the god dang kid from Signs (ahah)

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Enfield posted:

so youre heating up bars of metal with your grill and banging on them in your basement huh. that sounds like something a mentally retarded person would do

i use vent and lation, so now whose retarded rear end hole

social vegan posted:

get this it ry to stir it but the spoon melts (*laughter*( hah but seriously folks now i have to make my armour from SPOONs (haha)S it's like i'm the god dang kid from Signs (ahah)

try hitting metal until it turns into a knife then you can use that to cut a wood into spoon

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
ive always wanted a lawnmower that only cuts half of the grass

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

whoflungpoop posted:

ive always wanted a lawnmower that only cuts half of the grass

alright let's leave latinos out of this wfp

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
There is no spoon *posts matrix image macro*

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what the hell is lation

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Libelous Slander posted:

There is no spoon *posts matrix image macro*

love those movies!

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Decebal posted:

Hephaestus was usually portrayed as an invalid, and that was because during the Bronze Age Collapse blacksmiths who knew how to process iron had their leg maimed so they couldn't run and sell the technology to possible rivals.
uhh no its bc they used anvils instead of soccer balls,all the balls deflated at once that why it was called the collapse

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

start off with a shitload of iron daggers to raise your skill

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if you are hammering metal against concrete in your basement make sure to not breathe in any of the dust that is produced, that poo poo will kill you

also machinists make fun of blacksmiths, like if a machinist sucks other machinists will look at something he made and be like "that looks like a blacksmith made it"

namaste

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If you double click the mithril bars and then single click the space in the forge menu box you don;t have to hold the mouse button and drag it to the correct slot. Saves a few minutes when you're trying to get your stat over 200 so you can start your epic weapon quest.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Built my forge from a old brake drum and now I can make metal hot. I even twisted some metal. I now built a hot oven so I can melt non ferrous metals evenly so I can melt my "scavenged" copper into bars for easy storage.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the term blacksmith is offensive imo, we should recognize that people of all races can be smiths. see morrisey, for example

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Oh don't use wild coal found off the railroads. The sulphur smoke is nasty and you'll look like a chimney sweep. Hard wood charcoal is better choice to start with.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mozi posted:

the term blacksmith is offensive imo, we should recognize that people of all races can be smiths. see morrisey, for example

yeah but who would buy a sword from a gaysmith?

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

City of Tampa posted:

if you are hammering metal against concrete in your basement make sure to not breathe in any of the dust that is produced, that poo poo will kill you

also machinists make fun of blacksmiths, like if a machinist sucks other machinists will look at something he made and be like "that looks like a blacksmith made it"

namaste

machinists? those guys are only in the movies. sarah conner ain't real either

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I only used hand-raised, grass-fed, non-GMO coal

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Wafflz posted:

yeah but who would buy a sword from a gaysmith?

i was looking for a sword and then i found a sword
and heaven knows i'm stabbing now

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Mozi posted:

i was looking for a sword and then i found a sword
and heaven knows i'm stabbing now

theres a sword if you'd like to go
you could meet some sword who really cuts you
so you and you stand on your own
and you leave on your own
and you go home and you cry and you want a sword

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

You can fry an egg on the sidewalk in basically any temperature.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Also don't melt galvanized metal. It will make your lungs sad :(

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

First, visit your Blacksmithing trainer at Ashran if you didn't learn Blacksmithing yet. Alliance players can find Aimee Goldforge at Stormshield, and Horde players can find Mazdon Bizratchet at Warspear.

You can also visit a trainer in the main cities of old Azeroth if you don't have a flight path to Ashran yet - just ask a guard.

Things change a bit in Warlords of Draenor because you no longer learn the next rank from your trainer. You have to get a [Draenor Blacksmithing] scroll to upgrade your maximum Blacksmithing skill to 700. This scroll will also teach you a few basic recipes which you will use to level Blacksmithing.

There are three ways to obtain this scroll:

You can buy it from the Blacksmithing trainers at Ashran. Alliance players can find Royce Bigbeard at Stormshield, and Horde players can find Nonn Threeratchet at Warspear.
If you build The Forge at your garrion, you can buy the scroll from one of the NPC at the building.
If you are still leveling your character (90-92), you have to loot a quest item to start a quest chain.
Alliance: Loot [Haephest's Satchel] from Draenor mobs or Karnoth during Shadows Awaken quest.
Horde: Loot [Fractured Forge Hammer] from Draenor mobs or Dorogg the Ruthless during The Butcher of Bladespire quest.
After you completed the quest chain, you will get [Draenor Blacksmithing] and [Garrison Blueprint: The Forge, Level 1]. This scroll upgrades your maximum Blacksmithing skill to 700 and you will also learn a few basic recipes. The blueprint simply let's you build The Forge at your garrison. You will use this building to complete work orders and to learn every new recipe.

Work orders and daily cooldowns

You can start work orders if you build The Forge at your Garrison. The blueprint for The Forge can be obtained if you complete the quest chain mentioned above, or when you upgrade your Garrison's Town Hall to level 2.

Work orders convert 5 x [True Iron Ore] to 2 x [Truesteel Ingot]. [Truesteel Ingot] is used for crafting epic armors and weapons, so it's better to start completing your work orders as soon as possible.

One work order takes 4 hour to complete, but you can queue up a bunch of work orders, so you don't have to log in every 4 hours.

If you have a follower working in your building, you can get 4 [Truesteel Ingot] each work order instead of 2. You can read more about followers if you read my Guide to Followers with Profession Traits.

[Truesteel Ingot] can also be obtained from doing your profession daily cooldown [Truesteel Ingot]. This spell produces 8 Truesteel Ingot, plus additional based on Blacksmithing skill. The maximum you can get is 20 at skill 700.

Obtaining new recipes

The recipes your learned from the scroll are only good for leveling between 1-650. New recipes can be purchased at The Forge, or at Ashran.

[Secrets of Draenor Blacksmithing] is needed to create the currency that you can use to buy new recipes. You can only create one Secrets of Draenor Blacksmithing a day.

Leveling 1-650

IMPORTANT!!! If your character is below level 90, visit my Blacksmithing Leveling Guide for lower levels. This guide is for level 90-100 players.

There are 3 recipes that you can use to level from 1 to 650.

[Smoldering Breastplate] - 30 x [True Iron Ore], 30 x [Blackrock Ore]
[Smoldering Greaves] - 60 x [True Iron Ore]
[Smoldering Helm] - 60 x [Blackrock Ore]

These recipes give you 10 skill points, and each of them require 60 ores to craft, so you will need 3900 ores to reach 650. It seems a lot but these ores are really cheap, they should be under 2 gold/ore.

If you decide you want to farm the ores instead of buying them, then visit my Blackrock Ore farming guide or True Iron Ore farming guide.

You can also reach 600 by making [Truesteel Ingot] and Secret of Draenor Blacksmithing, but that would probably take around 50 days.

Disenchanting
After you crafted all of these armors, you should disenchant all of them, then sell the dust at the Auction House so you can get at least third of your gold back (or more if you bought cheap ores). If you have a character with enchanting skill 600, you can disenchant the armors yourself. This will net you the most dust, about 9.5 on avarage / armor. (you can also ask a friend to do this for you).

There is 3 other ways to disenchant the armors, but you will only get about 5.5 dust / armor.

If you have an Enchanter's Study, you can simply disenchant the armors there.
You can visit a friend's Garrison if your friend have an Enchanter's Study.
Learn enchanting with one of your alt characters. You can disenchant the armors with enchanting skill one.

Leveling 650-700

Create [Secrets of Draenor Blacksmithing] and buy [Truesteel Reshaper] or [Truesteel Grinder] recipe. I recommend [Truesteel Reshaper] because it's usually easier to sell.

Make 17 x [Truesteel Reshaper] - 510 x True Iron Ore

If you decide to make [Truesteel Grinder], you will need 340 Blackrock Ore, and 170 True Iron Ore

If you don't plan to level to 700 in one day, then you should make your daily cooldowns every day, and buy epic armor recipes at The Forge. Then you can craft epic armors when you have enough [Truesteel Ingot].

I hope you liked this Blacksmithing guide, congratulations to 700!

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
i'm still kind of a newb but i'm pretty proud of this work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Box of Trial posted:

i'm still kind of a newb but i'm pretty proud of this work

nice try op my ropes thread is over htere

• Locked thread