Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
WAR HAS CHANGED

HINT: TRY TO AVOID THIS ^^^

VARIANT RULES

RULE 1 - Positions G, G, G, SF, PF, PF, F, C, Util, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN

The rosters and benches are extremely deep, so there will not be a lot of great talent on the wire - considering that, I've geared the starting positions to eliminate positional scarcity as much as possible. I based my math on historical Yahoo rankings and this year's Yahoo positions. Scarcity at shooting guard/center and over-abundance at power forward are my findings, and I'm mitigating them by installing three Guard spots with no SG required and an extra PF spot instead of the traditional extra C spot.

RULE 2 - Continuous Rolling Waiver System (Updates Mon, Fri Morning)
I like this system in NFL Fantasy and it works just as well in NBA. I was reluctant at first to sacrifice the 'art of the lightning fast injury pickup' but this hopefully makes it so members don't have to spend so much free time thinking about fantasy and reading alerts. It also discourages streaming. If you're anything like me you will let fantasy games win over your social life occasionally and so I want to remove the temptation as much as possible. The waiver claims will go into effect twice a week, once on Mondays at the start of the week and once on Fridays, permitting players to make adjustments heading into weekend games if they deem it necessary.

RULE 3 - Trade Take-Backs 2-Day Evaluation Period
The purpose of this rule is to encourage trade speculation but support fair trades. I will never unilaterally veto a trade unless I am somehow able to determine that its purpose is to disrupt the balance of the game on purpose. If both managers want to do the trade, they can do it. Even if it makes people mad. However, I need to provide some outlet for the persons who get mad about trades, because in many cases their complaints have merit. So here's the deal: If you can convince either side of a trade that they are making a bad trade, and they wish to cancel it, they can. I leave veto or 'take-back' power in the hands of the individuals making the trade. Another consequence of this rule is its implications towards player injuries that happen during the trade review period. If the injury happens after the trade has been accepted and the review period has already started, you're stuck with it - both sides lose their veto right. If the injury happened before the trade was accepted, both sides have the right to veto. I am aware that this logic is somewhat circuitous but I've thought it through and to me it's the best way to prevent common abuses.

^^^^ALSO THIS

ALL-TIME STANDINGS
1. Frustrated (Manure Ginobili)
REIGNING CHAMPION (Year 2) (221-134-5) (.621)

2. "Triay" (MyHairsNapierThanYours)
1-TIME CHAMPION (Year 1) (208-148-4) (.583)

3. "Troy" (T-Shirts)
(212-123-5) (.596)

4. "Trevor" (Dion & The Waiters)
(130-76-1) (.575)

5. spacejung (I KNOW NOW WHY U KAWHI)
(198-156-6) (.558)

6. YamataNaOrochi (James Harden's Beard)
(188-168-4) (.528)

7. H-Tail (Cruisin for a Boozin)
(180-176-4) (.506)

8. Ishin (BGI's Ballers)
(162-193-5) (.457)

9. Metapod (RussellMania) :siren:
(161-195-4) (.453)

10. MagicCube (DeMars Rover)
(151-205-4) (.425)

11. jabro (Easy Blake Oven)
(130-224-6) (.370)

X. Evil_Penguin_v2

FONDLY REMEMBERED

1. Brogeoisie (White Space)
(151-204-5) (.426)

2. Mr.AARP (KyrieOnMyWaywardSon)
(67-110-3) (.381)

:siren: RECRUITMENT IS CLOSED BARRING LAST MINUTE DROPOUTS :siren:

Draft Time: :siren: Sun Oct 25 3:15pm PDT :siren:

spacejung fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This is my year I can feel it

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
In for the que please.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nowhere to go but up!..... or stay in the basement.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
edit - wrong thread, sorry

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 17, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This is an official league thread :colbert:

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Maybe I should make a fantasy basketball thread

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Metapod posted:

This is my year I can feel it

I left a siren next to your name to remind me of this, welcome back Podcast

jabro posted:

Nowhere to go but up!..... or stay in the basement.

Congrats you just got promoted. Hold off Evil Penguin and climb the ranks.

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

In for the que please.

Congrats you are ostensibly in! I need for you to PM me your preferred e-mail or you can post it here if you prefer. No promises on what won't happen to it if you do.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
In as DickVitalesRightEye.

Evil_Penguin_v2 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 18, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spacejung posted:

Congrats you just got promoted. Hold off Evil Penguin and climb the ranks.

LoL, that guy has a .000 winning percentage. What a loser.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
We might end up needing another soldier; now is a good time to join the queue if you're wanting in.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I'm interested in playing if we have room, this is Yahoo Fantasy https://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ ?

I've only ever done the ESPN kind, let me know if you want/need me to join in!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm interested in playing if we have room, this is Yahoo Fantasy https://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/ ?

It's just like ESPN except you get pop-ups for their daily fantasy sports gambling.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Do we have a draft order yet? And, as reigning champion, can I claim the first pick?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Frustrated posted:

Do we have a draft order yet? And, as reigning champion, can I claim the first pick?

In accordance with the rich traditions of my people, draft order is determined by stoat race 15 minutes before the picks begin. You may have the honor of selecting your stoat of choice:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spacejung posted:

In accordance with the rich traditions of my people, draft order is determined by stoat race 15 minutes before the picks begin. You may have the honor of selecting your stoat of choice:

Dibs on second from left. He's already got his eyes on the prize.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

jabro posted:

Dibs on second from left. He's already got his eyes on the prize.

You get the one that lost an eye for being last

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Wondering which of my top 3 picks will die this season. AIMING FOR .500 all time basketball!

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I'll be glad to do this draft at home on an actual computer instead of at 2am on an iPad in Paris.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Cloud the Cat posted:

It is Yahoo but the last spot just closed up, however you are first in line so if you're still interested, I will notify you before any others if the situation changes.

MagicCube posted:

I'll be glad to do this draft at home on an actual computer instead of at 2am on an iPad in Paris.

Sorry, the draft time was specifically intended to dissuade the French from joining, not you. Welcome home G.I.

spacejung fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 23, 2015

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

spacejung posted:

It is Yahoo but the last spot just closed up, however you are first in line so if you're still interested, I will notify you before any others if the situation changes.

No problems!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I love my core of bigs and Russ the rest I'm not so sure about

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Oh schnip. It's on! Everyone welcome Cloud the Cat in for YamataNaOrochi who had to back out.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Let's go! Changed the team name to 'Merbein Cobras' as is my fantasy tradition, hope it's ok!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cloud the Cat posted:

Let's go! Changed the team name to 'Merbein Cobras' as is my fantasy tradition, hope it's ok!

Let me be the first to say sit down and get hosed

Seriously though welcome

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Sorry about missing the draft, glad my rankings didn't completely gently caress me over.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Noel is going to be really good

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Scraping Zogo's poll for the best albums according to league members:

code:
Evil_penguin_v2		Vince Staples - Summertime '06
Cloud the cat		Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Metapod			Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
I guess you guys don't own Jay-Z and Linkin Park's classic Collision Course

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

spacejung posted:

Scraping Zogo's poll for the best albums according to league members:

code:
Evil_penguin_v2		Vince Staples - Summertime '06
Cloud the cat		Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Metapod			Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
I guess you guys don't own Jay-Z and Linkin Park's classic Collision Course

Still bumping Vince staples summertime 06... Amazing CD

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Good kid mAAd city is really really good

Russ for mvp

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Any chance this league has an abandoned team I can take over? I just want an excuse to waste more time when I should be doing more important things. Also, the NBA is really good right now and I'd like more reasons to keep up with it.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

tadashi posted:

Any chance this league has an abandoned team I can take over? I just want an excuse to waste more time when I should be doing more important things. Also, the NBA is really good right now and I'd like more reasons to keep up with it.

Our league is currently a frothing maelstrom of activity but if the tides should ever turn I'll keep you in mind, friend.

(Nice job on lineups for the most part gang... looks like we have some turnover in the rankings this season already)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spacejung posted:

Our league is currently a frothing maelstrom of activity but if the tides should ever turn I'll keep you in mind, friend.

(Nice job on lineups for the most part gang... looks like we have some turnover in the rankings this season already)

I think I have already won half as many weeks as I did last season.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

jabro posted:

I think I have already won half as many weeks as I did last season.

Sky's the limit for you but these new guys are coming out swinging also. Sucks to have been 1st or 2nd pick.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Nice sell high there, jabro. 2 day take-back period is underway.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This is my official notice that I hate the rolling waivers. It blows not getting your guy and having to wait a few days to get rid of dead weight.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

jabro posted:

This is my official notice that I hate the rolling waivers. It blows not getting your guy and having to wait a few days to get rid of dead weight.

Sorry friend. Blame this guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3747176&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post452388843

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

jabro posted:

What you can do is put in multiple claims for different people while dropping the same guy. For instance last week I wanted to get rid of PJ Tucker so I added 5 different players all replacing him. I missed out on my first choice, but got my second.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MagicCube posted:

What you can do is put in multiple claims for different people while dropping the same guy. For instance last week I wanted to get rid of PJ Tucker so I added 5 different players all replacing him. I missed out on my first choice, but got my second.

I thought of doing that very thing.

This morning when I saw I didn't get who I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I feel like I've only won turnover twice ever

• Locked thread