Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Given some of the happenings in the other thread, I thought it made sense to break things out like we have in the past and create an offseason thread.

The offseason is officially underway for all but four teams, and Zack Greinke used his opt-out so there are happenings!

Winter League schedule info: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/league.jsp?league=car

Australian Baseball League Schedule: http://web.theabl.com.au/schedule/index.jsp?sid=l595

The Winter Leagues used to get shown on ESPN Deportes pretty frequently but I don't know where they're living now. Ricky Ledee was for real playing in these until like two years ago and Ruben Rivera is a mainstay. Australian baseball you can watch for free on the internet if you're up and around when they're playing.

I believe the Asia Series is currently dead and not happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
just a reminder that Stan Conte resigned as VP of Signing Off on Jason Schmidt's Shoulder for the Dodgers, so if your team is looking for new medical personnel and you want them to lose 5,000 games worth of DL time over 5 years, they should make him an offer

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
go cubs

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

Legs Benedict posted:

just a reminder that Stan Conte resigned as VP of Signing Off on Jason Schmidt's Shoulder for the Dodgers, so if your team is looking for new medical personnel and you want them to lose 5,000 games worth of DL time over 5 years, they should make him an offer

Dodgers also dumped Jayson Werth, Russell Martin and Shawn Tolleson under medical pretenses under his watch.

In Werths case they decided he was so unfixable they paid a psychic hundreds of thousands to beam positive energy into his wrist from Russia.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Get outta here!!!

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Legs Benedict posted:

The Rangers should hire him, he can't possibly make things any worse.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

N: The A's fired their longtime first base coach, Tye Waller.

V: He smiled and waved at me once, seemed like a cool guy.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

regfairfield posted:

Dodgers also dumped Jayson Werth, Russell Martin and Shawn Tolleson under medical pretenses under his watch.

In Werths case they decided he was so unfixable they paid a psychic hundreds of thousands to beam positive energy into his wrist from Russia.

worth noting that Conte is hailed as some sort of injury predicting genius by the press and yet !!!!!!!!! the Dodgers were like the 2nd most injured team from 2009-2014 or some poo poo

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I feel like a medical staff is really undervalued in professional sports. The Phoenix Suns come to mind as having such a good medical staff that routinely gets productive seasons out of thought-to-be over the hill stars and its clearly very useful.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I think in baseball land the White Sox are known for having a good training/medical staff? Training staff seems to be where things go sideways in MLB a lot.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
From what I've heard Don Cooper has been legendary as a pitching coach in terms of helping the pitching staff avoid injuries -- this season Sale was the only starter to miss time and that was a non-baseball related injury. Also last season the White Sox had the least amount of payroll going towards guys on the DL (for all the good it did them) and have one of the least amount of total man-hours lost to the DL over the last few seasons.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
It probably has more to do with Herm Schneider and the rest of the training staff, but yeah, Cooper's attention to detail has helped the pitchers.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Yeah this is two years out of date now, but the White Sox training staff has been historically very good (though I'm still waiting for Sale's elbow to explode).

e: there are some updated charts here but they also incorporate some WAR metric

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 21, 2015

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I would like to know how much of the Mariners portion of that chart is Franklin Gutierrez by himself.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yeah this is two years out of date now, but the White Sox training staff has been historically very good (though I'm still waiting for Sale's elbow to explode).

e: there are some updated charts here but they also incorporate some WAR metric

The Twins would probably be about ten spots higher on the list if it wasn't for the Gardy-era terrible management of injuries.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i feel like i would like the cards to bring heyward back, but i wouldnt really care if they dont.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Looking forward to the Astros making a lot of noise regarding various elite players only to ultimately be the "We tried" team of the offseason

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Intruder posted:

Looking forward to the Astros making a lot of noise regarding various elite players only to ultimately be the "We tried" team of the offseason

:hf: The White Sox will be "interested" in Heyward et al. and will end up paying too much money to Colby Rasmus for too long.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

i feel like i would like the cards to bring heyward back, but i wouldnt really care if they dont.

I am crazy about Jason Heyward now and have done a full 180. Pay that guy 25mm AAV for like 7-8 years and if he doesn't take that, then oh well.

Also, Bill DeWitt apparently said today that it'd be highly unlikely for the Cardinals to NOT pick up Jaime Garcia's option. So...anyone who thought Jaime Garcia was going to be a Cardinal in 2016 prior to his miraculous half-season of recovery this year--you were right!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Sign the Dexter, Theo

Or do I have to wait three hours to post that or

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bregor posted:

Sign the Dexter, Theo

Or do I have to wait three hours to post that or

It'll be interesting who they pick. I'm guessing they are gonna sign Austin Jackson and save some money for the big pitchers.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
So what do the Dodgers do if they can't resign Greinke? Back up the Brinks truck for Price?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Popete posted:

It'll be interesting who they pick. I'm guessing they are gonna sign Austin Jackson and save some money for the big pitchers.

Who will they go after?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I demand Byung-ho Park

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Baseball is fun, but sometimes it is disappointing when your favorite team loses the game.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I demand Byung-ho Park

I guarantee this man will be dubbed Bunghole Park within a week of signing for us.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Scob posted:

i would really like him on the team for the foreseeable future

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would really like the Giants to sign a good starting pitcher, please and thank you.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Grozz Nuy posted:

I would really like the Giants to sign a good starting pitcher, please and thank you.

I think everyone's gonna be pissed if they don't sign anyone in the off-season, especially because they just put off the 3rd base problem and showed a lot of depth at other positions. There's nothing they need more than a starter.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

I think everyone's gonna be pissed if they don't sign anyone in the off-season, especially because they just put off the 3rd base problem and showed a lot of depth at other positions. There's nothing they need more than a starter.

Something tells me the Giants have already made their big move, the movement of the calendar to 2016.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

R.D. Mangles posted:

Something tells me the Giants have already made their big move, the movement of the calendar to 2016.

Madison Bumgarner will pitch every 3rd day, supplemented by a Matt Cain-shaped silhouette bearing a question mark, and a laser-eyed Jake Peavy. I dunno why any other teams would bother showing up, honestly

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Welcome Cubs fans!!!!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Time to deconstruct the entire team after that fiasco.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm genuinely concerned that the Royals starting pitchers are gonna blow this series.
Just start someone out of the bullpen imho.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I feel blessed that I matter enough to someone who loves homophobia enough to spend $10 on me for it. :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A cool year with a cool rear end Cubs team. Sad that it ended on a sweep but it was fun.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I feel blessed that I matter enough to someone who loves homophobia enough to spend $10 on me for it. :allears:

I actually like my new AV, though I'm not sure I still have the old image if I ever wanted to go back.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

New Concept Hole posted:

Madison Bumgarner will pitch every 3rd day, supplemented by a Matt Cain-shaped silhouette bearing a question mark, and a laser-eyed Jake Peavy. I dunno why any other teams would bother showing up, honestly

It sounds like there's mutual interest between the team and Leake in bringing him back, which I'm not opposed to, but they need another frontline starter in the worst way. If the Dodgers really let Greinke walk to chase Price because they're concerned about committing serious money to Greinke at his age, then the Giants had better be all over him or I'm going to be seriously pissed. Even setting aside the 'lol even year' stuff, the Giants window of contention is right goddamn now considering all the young position players they have are still cheap and the general state of the farm system after promoting nearly everyone worth talking about. If they go through another offseason of half-steps because ownership only wants another 'moderate payroll increase' I will tear my hair out.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

zakharov posted:

Welcome Cubs fans!!!!

We all knew it was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Cubs once again fail to make it to the World Series in a year Adolf Hitler is dead.

Not saying/Just saying

• Locked thread