Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

shadok posted:

Hot take: no-one in baseball deserves a WS ring more than Jose Bautista. :colbert:

Carlos Beltran, ya dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Continuing offseason Jays talk, it will be interesting to see what happens to the rotation. With Buehrle and (probably) Price gone, it leaves a fairly massive hole. There's also the (unlikely) possibility that Dickey's option isn't picked up and Estrada leaves as an UFA. Sanchez will probably get another chance at a rotation spot (he was getting better towards his last few starts, iirc), and Osuna could be moved there. Other than that, I guess we wait for some of AA's magic to be sprinkled on this team.

I just hope the first few months of next season aren't spent fumbling around trying to figure out the rotation.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays have 5 starters for next season in Stroman Hutchison Sanchez Osuna and Dickey but could have like 50 million if budgeting goes the way I expect it to. That's enough for both Price and Davis!!!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I know you're excited to bring Rajai Davis back, but I think the Jays could get him for cheaper than that.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm gonna miss that atmosphere in Toronto. Whenever there was a game going on, it was like the whole city turned into Blue Jay Land. It was crazy and ruled hard.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Rumor has it that Klentak got the Phillies GM job. From what little I've heard, he's a pretty good hire.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Wait the Reds might actually trade Votto? Having an enormous Canadian star would be a marketing boon for Rogers and certainly worth taking on his contract (if, yknow, baseball reasons aren't enough to convince you to take on his contract, which they should be).

Anyway, having the probable MVP at the plate with the go ahead run on 2nd & tying run on 3rd and the season on the line is pretty much ideal if you're going to be in that position, and losing to the best team in the AL isn't particularly shameful. Stoked as heck for next year.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

FairGame posted:

Carlos Beltran, ya dingus

I agree with this surprisingly

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DannoMack posted:

Wait the Reds might actually trade Votto? Having an enormous Canadian star would be a marketing boon for Rogers and certainly worth taking on his contract (if, yknow, baseball reasons aren't enough to convince you to take on his contract, which they should be).

Anyway, having the probable MVP at the plate with the go ahead run on 2nd & tying run on 3rd and the season on the line is pretty much ideal if you're going to be in that position, and losing to the best team in the AL isn't particularly shameful. Stoked as heck for next year.

But it was an inside jooooobbbbb.

There are actually a bizarre amount of people saying it's a conspiracy for ratings, or to blame the one strike call (not the right call) and homerun call (which was the right call) for the game. Sometimes you just lose by one run in a tight game, at least this WS run was exciting.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Intruder posted:

I would take Votto in a heartbeat he'd have the best OBP on the Astros by nearly 100 points

He'd be a perfect fit for the Astros' situation and that is why I am convinced it won't happen

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The idea that MLB would rig a game to make sure KANSAS CITY got in the World Series is a bit much for me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

zakharov posted:

The idea that MLB would rig a game to make sure KANSAS CITY got in the World Series is a bit much for me.

Ain't like the smalltime New York market is going to help with ratings

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I wonder if the Jays can sell high on Kevin Pillar in the offseason, and decide to go with Dalton Pompey as the starting CF. Then there's also the question of what you do with Chris Colabello.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

This is MLBs vendetta for how the Canadian elections turned out.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Hand Knit posted:

I wonder if the Jays can sell high on Kevin Pillar in the offseason, and decide to go with Dalton Pompey as the starting CF. Then there's also the question of what you do with Chris Colabello.

I was thinking about that too. Kevin Pillar was a badass this year, but I fear that he is, at his heart, still "Wave shittily at a breaking ball a foot outside" Kevin Pillar of old.

Pompey just has such a better approach at the plate, is speedier, and as crazy as it sounds he should also be a better center fielder.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Red Sox have hired Ruben Amaro, Jr.

As first base coach.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ice To Meet You posted:

The Red Sox have hired Ruben Amaro, Jr.

As first base coach.

I thought for sure you were making a joke, but I checked Twitter anyway, and welp

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Pillar was pressed into service as a starting outfielder this year because Pompey sucked so hard at CF he got sent down to the minors. By all means let him try again next year but right now Pillar is the better choice by a long way.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

zakharov posted:

Not that there is a conspiracy, but Fox Sports certainly benefits from having an American team in the WS as opposed to a Canadian one. Half the invested fans would be watching on a Canadian sports channel with Canadian commercials. But there is no MLB conspiracy (30million Canadians buying MLB branded AL Champ apparel is good for baseball) and the booth was not favouring one team to another, Don Cherry is just crazy.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

shadok posted:

Pillar was pressed into service as a starting outfielder this year because Pompey sucked so hard at CF he got sent down to the minors. By all means let him try again next year but right now Pillar is the better choice by a long way.

It's not just about next year though. Pompey has always been the better prospect and shopping Pillar at what is likely his peak value is certainly worth exploring.

And I get that this team's window is right now and that you absolutely go for it in 2016. But if you can swap Pillar for a mid-rotation guy or something that could potentially be a net positive both next year and down the line.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Welp, with Mattingly and Dave Martinez becoming available in the past week the Nats have decided to give Dusty Baker a second interview. Fantastic...

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

uhh hello off season thread, my old friend.

Here's to hoping the Blue Jays can re-sign Estrada and some kind of ace starter. Maybe get a bullpen piece or two while they're at it. Next year needs to be the year; with Bautista and Edwin heading into free agency

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trading Kevin Pillar is not a good idea imo. The Jays still need depth and Jose is gonna be a 1b on the not too distant future.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MassaShowtime posted:

Trading Kevin Pillar is not a good idea imo. The Jays still need depth and Jose is gonna be a 1b on the not too distant future.

I guess with trades it's the always lame "well it depends on what they get back" but Pillar has to play CF to have value and if the Jays think any combination of "Pompey is going to be ready during 2016" and "Pillar is not actually this good" then I think that's a good reason to move him. Then there's also the fact that Pillar could be part of a package that brings back a relevantly-good starter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I see no reason that Pillar can't be a .700-.725 ops defense first cfer. He makes no money and the Jays need ofers as soon as 2017 when Revere is too expensive to be what he is and Jose is either gone or at 1b. If Pompey is a guy that can force the jays hand to move Pillar, great but the OF was a problem for most of the year once Saunders died and the Jays are one injury away from the same situation repeating itself next year. Pompey can get 400 abs rotating through the OF next year.

Also trading for a starter seems silly when there's close to a dozen options on the FA market.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Koruthaiolos posted:

Welp, with Mattingly and Dave Martinez becoming available in the past week the Nats have decided to give Dusty Baker a second interview. Fantastic...

The Cubs will gladly take your best starting pitching off your hands for cheap. You know, to save them from Dusty and all.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

ZenVulgarity posted:

I agree with this surprisingly

Except the fact that he is a Yankee.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Reds old, Reds broke, Reds pitching bad. Reds rebuild.

Saurez ended up being a decent stopgap to a light a fire under Cozart. It'll be great to get Mesoraco back. Frazier had a fantastic pre-ASG, lookin forward to seeing his 2016 campaign. Winker needs to be dealt or moved to AAA. Stephenson bats like a monster so that'll be nice, but we're already pretty decent at catcher. Gonna need a new ace pitcher. I don't pay a ton of attention to the entire farm system, but I know pitching development has been a sticking point in the organization for awhile. Diaz can gently caress off. The Redemption of JJ Hoover was wasted. Iglesias shows promise, as does Lorenzen. Chapman's PC will continue to rise and his shoulder will explode.

Go Reds.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No one on the Reds has actually said anything about trading Votto but you think they would be open to it if they are planning on being dogshit for the next few years. Frazier too. Sure he is owed a ton of money but I don't think his contract is outlandish for what will likely be a perennial MVP candidate for they next 3+ years.

I think the team is in the sort of unusual position on not being competitive but having a lot of desirable pieces that should get back top prospects in return. Votto, Frazier and Chapman should get back an organization's topish prospect. Mesoraco too if they go full team implosion.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 26, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chilihead posted:

Except the fact that he is a Yankee.

It's more than that, it's that he's a highly visible Ring Chaser. Since he wound up on the 2011 Giants because he "wanted to be traded to a winner" he has gone to regular division winner St Louis and perpetual postseason contender NYY.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i think the reds and brewers are in a very tough position where they have to be better then three teams that are clearly more talented now to compete, i mean sure one of the three are probably going to flop next season, but all three?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Scob posted:

i think the reds and brewers are in a very tough position where they have to be better then three teams that are clearly more talented now to compete, i mean sure one of the three are probably going to flop next season, but all three?

If I were in the Cincy or Milwaukee front offices and looking at 3 teams ahead of me where most of their talent is locked up through 2019 or later there would be some hard discussions on committing to the suck, throw your MLB talents at contenders for prospects and hope to catch the beginning of the next decade when everybody on the Pirates and Cubs need to get paid

I don't include St. Louis because they will somehow be perpetually good because reasons

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this guy whoever he is thinks Alex Gordon's contract will be in the $12-13mm x 3 range. Is that in any way realistic? He's probably going to be a 4-5 win player for all of the next three years. I mean...I hope it is true, the Royals would almost certainly resign him at that price, but still. Seems...pessimistic to me.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I would maybe quit following baseball forever if my team decided on a 5 year tank

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

bewbies posted:

So this guy whoever he is thinks Alex Gordon's contract will be in the $12-13mm x 3 range. Is that in any way realistic? He's probably going to be a 4-5 win player for all of the next three years. I mean...I hope it is true, the Royals would almost certainly resign him at that price, but still. Seems...pessimistic to me.

This may be out there but Alex Gordon is going to get more money than Melky Cabrera

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

bewbies posted:

$12-13mil for Alex Gordon's production is too low. Even if he gets a little worse, he's still worth way more than that with his bat alone.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

bewbies posted:

Alex Gordon will probably be closer to 20M per year given how well he's hit over the last five years. Durability isn't an issue either, no idea why that anonymous GM thinks Gordon is only worth 12-13M given that offense is still at a premium

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CubsWoo posted:

If I were in the Cincy or Milwaukee front offices and looking at 3 teams ahead of me where most of their talent is locked up through 2019 or later there would be some hard discussions on committing to the suck, throw your MLB talents at contenders for prospects and hope to catch the beginning of the next decade when everybody on the Pirates and Cubs need to get paid

I don't include St. Louis because they will somehow be perpetually good because reasons

This is the likely reason they hired a new GM. Doug Melvin is always in "win now" mode and the ownership recognizes that a proper rebuild is necessary at this point. Anybody who thinks Milwaukee is going to try to compete any time in the next 5 years is crazy. It's really likely that every single pitcher in next year's starting rotation will have been promoted from the minor leagues within the last 3 years. Outside of C/1b/RF, all of the positions will be manned by rookies or people who are just outside of rookie status. A team that thinks it can compete doesn't flip Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers for prospects.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Groucho Marxist posted:

I would maybe quit following baseball forever if my team decided on a 5 year tank

It's really not so bad. You just don't tie yourself to baseball for a little while and see if you can come away with some of the fun stories that can still happen with scrub players (e.g. John Baker game). And who knows, maybe your team ends up better again ahead of schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners are doing a conference for introducing Scott Servais, so far he's said this:

- The team needs to do a better job getting on base
- Needs to focus on pitching and defense more
- Says veterans "carry the load" but young guys "bring energy. And we need energy right now."
- Says advanced metrics are important, "if you try to fight it, you end up losing"
- Says Jim Riggleman and Dusty Baker are managers he admires :ohdear:
- He's a Packers shareholder

So far some good stuff on OBP and advanced metrics in general. It's all fluff, but hey he doesn't seem like a complete total idiot!

• Locked thread