Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Last Kingdom is a new historical drama on BBC America, inspired by the book series The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. The series picks up at the onset of the invasion of Britain by the Danish Vikings, AKA The Great Heathen Army. The West Saxons are literally "The last kingdom" unconquered by the Danes, and under the leadership of Alfred the Great, are struggling to defend themselves from the Viking horde.

Uhtred of Bebbanburg (Alexander Dreymon), the protagonist, is a Northumbrian ealdorman, captured by the Danes as a boy when they raid his father's castle, and raised by them. Hated by his father for being weak and unworthy of becoming the lord of Bebbanburg, and having had his birthright stolen from him by his treacherous uncle following the deaths of his father and brother, he subsequently takes well to the Viking way of life and becomes accepted as one of them, learning their language and how to fight like them. Uhtred prefers the Viking gods, having disdain for Christianity, a view which earns him scorn and distrust amongst his fellow Saxons and especially the priests and bishops who advise the king. He is soon (somewhat unwillingly) caught up in Wessex's struggle for survival against the Danes, his loyalties torn.

Alfred (David Dawson) is the brother of King Aethelred and the future king of Wessex (and eventually England). Pious and intelligent, he employs Uhtred frequently and uses Uhtred's experience and knowledge of the Danes to gain advantage over the Danes, though Uhtred's unwillingness to turn from paganism exasperates Alfred and causes him (and most other Saxons) to distrust Uhtred.

Earl Ragnar (Peter Gantzler) is a Danish warlord who captures young Uhtred and raises him as a Dane. He teaches Uhtred to fight and speak their language, and looks upon Uhtred as his own son and a brother to his actual son, Ragnar Ragnarsson.

Father Beocca (Ian Hart) is a Christian priest who mentors Uhtred, despite Uhtred's pagan ways.

Ubba (Rune Temte) is one of the leaders of the Great Heathen Army, a bloodthirsty sociopath. Uhtred is told by Ravn, Earl Ragnar's father, that to survive amongst the Vikings, he would do well to avoid crossing Ubba, and that he must never, ever fight him.

Brida (Emily Cox) is a fellow Saxon, also captured by the Danes and raised alongside Uhtred. She is Uhtred's best friend and companion.

After the first two episodes, I have high hopes for this show. Comparisons to History's Vikings are inevitable, but this show should hold up well against the former and will also attract those who have read Cornwell's The Saxon Tales. The production values are not quite as good, but the cinematography is very well-done, as is the fight choreography. Bernard Cornwell did his research, and it shows in the books and this adaptation. The costumes seem to be well-done, too, and decently historically-accurate.

The Last Kingdom airs on Saturdays at 9:00pm central.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-last-kingdom/

This is my first OP in TV/IV (God have mercy on my soul), so I'm open to suggestions on changes or additions!

Book-readers: If you're talking about anything that happened in the show that's exactly like what happened in the books, or even if you're talking about the differences between the books and the show, please spoiler tag. If in doubt, spoiler tag. It doesn't even matter if you've read a wiki page for one of the historical characters in the show--Cornwell takes liberties with time lines and characters often, so you may think you know what happens in the books or show based on the history, but be proven wrong.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
That was a good intro and covers the bases. Could use more branch-in-rear end action though :yayclod:

Anyone into historical drama should check this out. The BBC has done good. (And yeah, it will probably get compared to Vikings but it's standing on its own just fine.)

Also the eps are usually up on the BBC website after airing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The test of faith scene in the recent episode with King Edmund was loving hilarious.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

That was a good intro and covers the bases. Could use more branch-in-rear end action though :yayclod:

Anyone into historical drama should check this out. The BBC has done good. (And yeah, it will probably get compared to Vikings but it's standing on its own just fine.)

Thanks, I wrote and re-wrote a few times because I don't want to expose the whole story and things that I already know happened in the books, because those who didn't read the books won't know what's supposed to happen later. I still hope I didn't write too much.

etalian posted:

The test of faith scene in the recent episode with King Edmund was loving hilarious.

That actor is always pretty loving hilarious in everything, so I really enjoyed that scene. Ubba is loving hilarious too.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Erghh posted:

I don't see episode 2? Is there a non-:filez: way for a filthy cord-cutter like me to watch this show? I read the book and I like Vikings.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

It just kind of hit me how much Uhtred looks like Channing Tatum :downs:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I don't see episode 2? Is there a non-:filez: way for a filthy cord-cutter like me to watch this show? I read the book and I like Vikings.

I know the first episode was on there, but for some reason I think they aired the first two concurrently, so maybe try and see if what BBC America's website has posted also has the second episode included? I had trouble finding either on their website actually, which is why I didn't mention them being available to view on the website, but it could just be me being a lazy bastard. If episode 1 is on there, I'm guessing they really did air the first two episodes on the premiere night and that's why Episode 2 isn't posted separately. It's a possibility?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 19, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It's out on many places such as Google Play or Itunes

https://play.google.com/store/tv/show/The_Last_Kingdom?id=-m37_B7r6Lk&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-last-kingdom/id1028065359

life is killing me posted:

That actor is always pretty loving hilarious in everything, so I really enjoyed that scene. Ubba is loving hilarious too.

That whole test of faith scene was some brilliant black humor, I liked Ubba's line, "If the arrow don't work can we try the club?"

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Ok weird I checked the usual stores and couldn't find it, but I was probably just an idiot.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

I know the first episode was on there, but for some reason I think they aired the first two concurrently, so maybe try and see if what BBC America's website has posted also has the second episode included? I had trouble finding either on their website actually, which is why I didn't mention them being available to view on the website, but it could just be me being a lazy bastard. If episode 1 is on there, I'm guessing they really did air the first two episodes on the premiere night and that's why Episode 2 isn't posted separately. It's a possibility?

That may have happened. Here's the link I was thinking of: http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-last-kingdom/extras/series-premiere-full-episode/

Thought the beeb would stream them all but maybe not. Bugger.

Looks like it's plenty resolved though /\

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yay, mods changed the tag and corrected my thread title! Thanks, mods :downs:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

That whole test of faith scene was some brilliant black humor, I liked Ubba's line, "If the arrow don't work can we try the club?"

I like how he feigned curiosity about it while making fun of Edmund. The guy who plays Ubba is doing the character justice, and the dude is just inhumanly big. I'm really looking forward to Uhtred vs Ubba

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Checked this out after people were talking about it in the Vikings thread and am liking it so far. None of the characters are quite as strong as the Vikings main cast, but they're all pretty much solid so no real complaints there. I do think Alfred got kind of a weird introduction with the whole cheating thing. He came off as this kind of weird, weak guy who was surprised that he got invited to an important meeting and then one episode later he's clearly got his poo poo together and is important. Not a huge deal, but just felt like kind of a weird tonal miss. I do like how the main character is pretty much just an idiot and Brida is there to be the constant voice of reason and to tell him how he's loving up. If this just ends up being a lighter version of Vikings that helps fill the gap between seasons then I'm 100% ok with that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

VDay posted:

Checked this out after people were talking about it in the Vikings thread and am liking it so far. None of the characters are quite as strong as the Vikings main cast, but they're all pretty much solid so no real complaints there. I do think Alfred got kind of a weird introduction with the whole cheating thing. He came off as this kind of weird, weak guy who was surprised that he got invited to an important meeting and then one episode later he's clearly got his poo poo together and is important. Not a huge deal, but just felt like kind of a weird tonal miss. I do like how the main character is pretty much just an idiot and Brida is there to be the constant voice of reason and to tell him how he's loving up. If this just ends up being a lighter version of Vikings that helps fill the gap between seasons then I'm 100% ok with that.

Uhtred is actually meant to be a snide, but fearsome guy. At least in the books, he's described as taller than most Saxons and gains a reputation for his fighting prowess. But, he is also not an idiot...he makes pretty intelligent tactical and political decisions, but makes dumb mistakes along the way as anyone would, I guess.

The only guy Uhtred won't gently caress with, by his own admission in the books, is Steapa, whom he describes as being the largest, most intimidating (but also dumbest) man he has ever seen, and a man even the Danes are afraid of. Steapa (though I don't think they said his name in the show yet) is the guy who questions Uhtred when he shows up at Aethelred's castle to speak to him, and almost fights him. I guess I don't have to use spoiler tags here, but in that scene in the books, the fight is stopped just as it was in the show (and for the same reason, because the Danes show up) and later on Uhtred realizes that he was being way too prideful and dumb to ever have thought he could take on Steapa.

And Alfred, it's thought by historians, had Crohn's disease, which would have been pretty debilitating, and is why, in the second episode, you see him sort of wince and groan in pain. Cornwell describes this in his books too. Alfred was a strong leader historically, despite this, and he was very cunning. He was the guy who turned every Saxon town into a fortified burh to make it harder for the Vikings to take them.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Enjoyed the first episode. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Did the one poster ever figure out if he could see E2 yet? IDK if it's on the site and still don't know if they were supposed to have aired concurrently.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I haven't seen any of this yet but I'm hoping it's going to be good given the amount of trash talking Cornwell was doing about GoT the other day :ohdear:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I haven't seen any of this yet but I'm hoping it's going to be good given the amount of trash talking Cornwell was doing about GoT the other day :ohdear:

To be fair, one is historical fiction and the other is pretentious fantasy (not going to act like I didn't read all of the GoT books), which is why the two shouldn't be compared really, at least IMHO. Not sure why Cornwell would poo poo-talk GoT since his books have got nothing to do with GRRM's books and they are in two different genres, but it's dumb.

I watch GoT too, but I won't lie; it can get a little boring. TLK so far looks like it's going to have more action (I'm speculating sword fights and battles that were at least true to the way they did it historically), and only some boring politics (which is a main reason I tend to find GoT boring at times). Probably won't ever have the viewership of GoT, though.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Uthred and Brida's scenes are great, they are both playful teens who just want to hump and brothers in arms who got each others back when poo poo goes down.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

To be fair, one is historical fiction and the other is pretentious fantasy (not going to act like I didn't read all of the GoT books), which is why the two shouldn't be compared really, at least IMHO. Not sure why Cornwell would poo poo-talk GoT since his books have got nothing to do with GRRM's books and they are in two different genres, but it's dumb.

I watch GoT too, but I won't lie; it can get a little boring. TLK so far looks like it's going to have more action (I'm speculating sword fights and battles that were at least true to the way they did it historically), and only some boring politics (which is a main reason I tend to find GoT boring at times). Probably won't ever have the viewership of GoT, though.

He said in an interview he thought GoT covered over its boring plot lines with shocking gore and nudity, going on to say he didn't need to do any of that because the plot was compelling enough. I'm sure there was a certain spin put on his answers to create a story.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

He said in an interview he thought GoT covered over its boring plot lines with shocking gore and nudity, going on to say he didn't need to do any of that because the plot was compelling enough. I'm sure there was a certain spin put on his answers to create a story.

I mean, his plot IS compelling enough. And GoT does appear to do those things, even when they are also in the books.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Two episodes in and Brida is already stealing the show.

"You're talking out your rear end."
"No, I'm sitting on my rear end."
"So your rear end is more clever, it can do two things at once."

:allears:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp, I make this thread and then realize I'll not be able to even look at it this weekend since I have a wedding to attend Saturday night and won't even get to watch it. The loving DVR better record it, every time I get on the DirecTV app and try to record a show from that, it records one episode and no more than that, so I have to be home and actually remember that a show I want to watch is returning soon or whatever. Meh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Benne posted:

the branch torture was pretty creative

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

the branch torture was pretty creative

Cornwell has a pretty good sense of humor, the creative insults in the books are actually pretty hilarious for such serious books

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show is excellent. It's really good and everyone should watch it. Just gets better episode by episode.

Alfred is my favorite. But then again in Vikings, Ecbert is my favorite, and Alfred is very much his grandfather's grandson.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 25, 2015

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Another solid episode. I bought the first book after watching episodes 1+2 and read it already, so I know what happens but I'm enjoying the adaptation. The TV showrunners have made mostly smart choices in compressing characters/timeline. Stoked that they developed Leofric in this episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how Uhtred sort of avoids the chosen one who's good at everything cliche.

He's basically been really dumb so far in the show having no real strategy for how to get revenge.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Great episode. Digging the bromance, the shitheel of a pretender king and Alfred talking down to vikings like a boss. The bit about the Saxon forts was such a great poke in-the-eye at Ubba.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Uhtred's chicken dance bit when he was wandering home after getting wasted was hilarious.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Benne posted:

And thus the phrase "smart rear end" was born!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
For book readers, did Aethelreds manchild son appear at this stage in the story, or is it a possible plot line created by the show?

History spoilers:
IRL his oldest son was around six years old when he died.

His younger son would come to contest the throne of Alfred's successor, maybe they're shifting that plot one generation earlier. IF Aethelreds idiot son will be able to make anything about his claim in this story.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

This show is amazing and everyone should watch it.

etalian posted:

I like how Uhtred sort of avoids the chosen one who's good at everything cliche.

He's basically been really dumb so far in the show having no real strategy for how to get revenge.

It is unclear because the actors are older, but isn't he supposed to be quite young? Like 18 or something? 18 years olds are generally pretty stupid due to immaturity and inexperience.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 26, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yudo posted:

This show is amazing and everyone should watch it.

It is unclear because the actors are older, but isn't he supposed to be quite young? Like 18 or something? 18 years olds are generally pretty stupid due to immaturity and inexperience.

I'm liking the realism for making him act realistically as someone who has no experience instead of suddenly being a know it all chosen one character.

His sort of stubborn nature and unrealistic thinking process makes be think of Spartacus in season 1.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

He is pretty young at this point and makes some dumb decisions, in the book, he even mentions how young and dumb he was. This guy is doing a good job as Uhtred. I also like how, instead of portraying him as some kind of ultra-smart chosen warrior, he is just shown as human, making dumb decisions, and really caring only for revenge and having his title restored, without any really clear plan on how to get all that.

Meanwhile, Alfred is pretty much outwitting Uhtred at every turn.

I mean, really, in the books, again, Uhtred is taller than most people outside of Steapa (who it looks like they merged in with Leofric, because Uhtred was supposed to have almost fought Steapa) and actually is a pretty fearsome fighter, he just has no reputation for such just yet. He's smart and knows how to fight, but doesn't make great long-term decisions until he gets older and wiser.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Falukorv posted:

For book readers, did Aethelreds manchild son appear at this stage in the story, or is it a possible plot line created by the show?

I'm pretty sure he had shown up by this point, yeah

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Falukorv posted:

History spoilers:
IRL his oldest son was around six years old when he died.

His younger son would come to contest the throne of Alfred's successor, maybe they're shifting that plot one generation earlier. IF Aethelreds idiot son will be able to make anything about his claim in this story.

Red Red Blue posted:

I'm pretty sure he had shown up by this point, yeah

Yes, in the books he was shown to be a fool and a drunk and was made to do public penance along with Uhtred, in front of Alfred, who was already king (in the books, Alfred has very recently become king when the books start, contrary to the show, which has Aethelred as king to start off). He made jokes to Uhtred, and then they both did their penance. Funny scene in the book, actually.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So in the books is it totally in 1st person from Uhtred's perspective or does it show events that Uhtred is not personally witnessing? Of the Cornwell books I've read, most seem to be from one character's perspective, but The Grail Quest shows events of which the lead character is not aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That manchild drunk character is really hilarious. It's like combining the spiteful cowardly nature of Joffrey but in this series everyone can get away with owning him since he has no real power after getting passed over for the crown.

etalian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 1, 2015

• Locked thread