Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Ive heard that wendys catches sleepy rats for the meat in their chili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

the laziest, fattest, juiciest meaty rats for their chili you mean

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gently caress the ROW posted:

Another source told me it's the unsold hamburger from the day before.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I don't really understand how fast food stays in business with their prices nowadays. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to be one of those goony motherfuckers saying the food tastes awful or makes me sick or whatever, I think it's tasty and I like it as a treat on occasions, but it's just so expensive it's on par with most local lunch spots. Most combo meals are around 6-7 bucks, for the same price or a buck or two more in my town you could go to pretty much any lunch spot in town. If you're getting the lunch special it might even be cheaper. Assuming you're eating out with other people it's also pretty much always nicer to be able to sit down and chat.

Moridin920 posted:

"McDonald's CEO Don Thompson received a compensation package worth $13.8million in 2012"
I never really understood golden parachutes as a thing. Companies always seem so stingy about profits when it comes to paying the people who do day to day poo poo money and cry about how if they made any less money they might as well just wrap it up and go home but then they'll turn around and give the dude who ran them into the ground* millions of dollars on his way out. You'd think the greedy dudes still in the company would try to limit the severance pay or something but instead these CEOs are traded around like athletes.

*I dunno if this is the case with don thompson I just mean in more general observation between 07 and now.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

When I go to Wendy's I get the baked potato instead of the fries.

Hell yeah

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really understand how fast food stays in business with their prices nowadays. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to be one of those goony motherfuckers saying the food tastes awful or makes me sick or whatever, I think it's tasty and I like it as a treat on occasions, but it's just so expensive it's on par with most local lunch spots. Most combo meals are around 6-7 bucks, for the same price or a buck or two more in my town you could go to pretty much any lunch spot in town. If you're getting the lunch special it might even be cheaper. Assuming you're eating out with other people it's also pretty much always nicer to be able to sit down and chat.

I want to say that one big thing keeping places like that alive is that fast food places often crop up in areas in poor/rural neighborhoods, where there IS no other choice. Not every place has a bunch of awesome little hole-in-the-wall places that charge as much if not less than fast food places to choose instead. The neighborhood in the place I work has literally fuckall to eat close by besides a bunch of fast food restaurants, and the nearest decent real food option like Sushi or Thai is far enough away that I'd be late for my work break if I went off to get it. And that's with a car who can get to it - I'd imagine many people poor enough to feel a need to eat fast food all the time can't even drive and are limited by biking or walking distance.

I think there's an actual term for it, called "food desert".

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's just sensible cookin. Something ive wondered for a while now is what quality food do fast food franchises use. In the grocery store you pretty much only get the best stuff, there's no bag of grade 2 potatoes you can buy because people don't like how they look. The same applies to most other foods, the difference in grade is often more visual than taste/texture but you normally won't find second best as an option outside of meat (where it does impact quality). That does raise the question of where all this stuff that didn't make the photoshoot standards goes, and fast food seems like the most obvious choice. I would have guessed that the franchises have deals with the farmers to buy their lower grade stuff in bulk but then I also recall reading somewhere that McDonald's actually owns most of it's own farmland and just grows it's own potatoes and cows and poo poo so I don't know what to believe.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
my friends and I used to go be dollar menunaires and make mcgang-bangs: a mcchicken situated between one or two mcdoubles (cant remember which) then the dollar menu stopped having dollar items and we decided to just cook meals at someones house

Hector Beerlioz posted:

When I go to Wendy's I get the baked potato instead of the fries.

gross they use old chili for the baked potatoes

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Toadvine posted:

my friends and I used to go be dollar menunaires and make mcgang-bangs: a mcchicken situated between one or two mcdoubles (cant remember which) then the dollar menu stopped having dollar items and we decided to just cook meals at someones house
My college friends and I were super into hitting jacks for tacos and jr bacon cheeseburgers, you'd put the taco in the burger and the crunch + the taco meat goo wast a perfect compliment to the burger. Now their jr. bacon cheeseburgers are like 1.50 and I haven't eaten there in forever.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Toadvine posted:

gross they use old chili for the baked potatoes

Whoa, I'm gonna ask them to put some chili on the potato and have a chili potato.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

ArbitraryC posted:

My college friends and I were super into hitting jacks for tacos and jr bacon cheeseburgers, you'd put the taco in the burger and the crunch + the taco meat goo wast a perfect compliment to the burger. Now their jr. bacon cheeseburgers are like 1.50 and I haven't eaten there in forever.

taco bell still has a decent value menu I think but taco bell does weird things to me now so I stick to the cheesy gordita crunch if I ever go.

I'll probably eat taco bell twice a year, if that. fast food is just satisfying sometimes, like a can of coke.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ArbitraryC posted:

That's just sensible cookin. Something ive wondered for a while now is what quality food do fast food franchises use. In the grocery store you pretty much only get the best stuff, there's no bag of grade 2 potatoes you can buy because people don't like how they look. The same applies to most other foods, the difference in grade is often more visual than taste/texture but you normally won't find second best as an option outside of meat (where it does impact quality). That does raise the question of where all this stuff that didn't make the photoshoot standards goes, and fast food seems like the most obvious choice. I would have guessed that the franchises have deals with the farmers to buy their lower grade stuff in bulk but then I also recall reading somewhere that McDonald's actually owns most of it's own farmland and just grows it's own potatoes and cows and poo poo so I don't know what to believe.

On the other hand, grocery stores seem to have a lot of 'priced to move' stuff on occasion, though: Here's an old 10# bag of potatoes you'd BETTER use in the next 24 hours for $1. Here's a 24 box of day-old donuts for $4 because we gotta get rid of them. You also get the sub-prime stuff in the form of generic and store brands. Save a few cents going on generic peanut butter that always has an odd consistency, a store brand cracker that is always a little more brittle and stale compared to the Nabisco, etc.

Someone suggested a few years ago that McDs just made their menu too complicated and expensive, and they should just sell plain sandwiches as the 'standard' and charge for every additional major topping and let people create their own sandwich like pizza places do. Just create a few tiers of free/charged toppings and let me make what I want and charge me based on what I put on it. Rather than hyping up a new sandwich, you can just promote when you've got limited edition fixin's to get people off their asses to haul down to McDs and order their $1 burger and throw on another dollar to get it with applewood bacon slapped on top of it or whatever on it while supplies last.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
That's what they get for removing chicken selects.

They also charge more for their lovely sandwiches than it costs to get a foot long at subway, the local deli, d'angelos, or pretty much anywhere. gently caress mcdonalds. Their chicken wrap things aren't even bad just grossly overpriced.

They are also super popular here still so no idea what that guy is talking about. I mean they have competition, there's not a 10 car line at the drive through all hours of the day anymore, but there's still non-stop customers inside and at the drive-thru.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Maybe it's just me, but I think McDs stores got worse after they brought in their premium coffee assortments and frozen drinks and what not. Those seem like a moneymaker, but they also seem like the moment the stores for me really took a downturn.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

They are also super popular here still so no idea what that guy is talking about. I mean they have competition, there's not a 10 car line at the drive through all hours of the day anymore, but there's still non-stop customers inside and at the drive-thru.

I hate going just off personal experience but McDonalds is more successful than ever in LA from the looks. They literally never have a break in the line.

Maybe some McDonalds out in bumfuck nowhere out in the industrial areas have it worse? Really all this comes down to is there are more fast food chains opening up, and some of them rock, so there's less of a need for tons and tons of locations. People are really overselling that part.

Though I don't doubt corporate is stupid. I hate how they didn't roll out their FULL breakfast menu all day, it's the only thing I'll ever bother going there for as lovely as it is for you.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 20, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the other hand, grocery stores seem to have a lot of 'priced to move' stuff on occasion, though: Here's an old 10# bag of potatoes you'd BETTER use in the next 24 hours for $1. Here's a 24 box of day-old donuts for $4 because we gotta get rid of them. You also get the sub-prime stuff in the form of generic and store brands. Save a few cents going on generic peanut butter that always has an odd consistency, a store brand cracker that is always a little more brittle and stale compared to the Nabisco, etc.
Yeah but that's kind of a symptom of people caring more about appearance than quality. The fact of the matter is a picture perfect looking potato that's going to start sprouting soon still sells easier than a gnarly looking tuber. And yeah I think processed and prepackaged stuff probably is housing a lot of those lower grades too.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

You'd think the greedy dudes still in the company would try to limit the severance pay or something but instead these CEOs are traded around like athletes.

Athletes are a good analogy for CEOs because companies think that some all-star CEO is what they need to become profitible, and that justifies their generous compensation. If this sounds stupid it's because it is

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ArbitraryC posted:

They stay in business by paying their employees as little as possible as well as people refusing to go to other places, the *idea* that fast food is cheaper than normal food, and the idea of speed/convenience

quote:

I never really understood golden parachutes as a thing. Companies always seem so stingy about profits when it comes to paying the people who do day to day poo poo money and cry about how if they made any less money they might as well just wrap it up and go home but then they'll turn around and give the dude who ran them into the ground* millions of dollars on his way out. You'd think the greedy dudes still in the company would try to limit the severance pay or something but instead these CEOs are traded around like athletes.

*I dunno if this is the case with don thompson I just mean in more general observation between 07 and now.
The CEOs can just fire anyone who starts whining about their pay, hth

Edit: everyone also wants the fat bonuses when they make it to the big chair too. It's the same reasoning why poor people want low taxes for the rich because when they get rich, they don't want to pay taxes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ArbitraryC posted:

The attitude of "The company won't be loyal to me, so why should I be loyal to the company?" is present at every level, from the entry-level jobs to the board members. The office drones steal the staplers, the boss steals everybody's retirement fund.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I guess Ronald McDonald has to take out the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI6ioPSKUgQ

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I like McDonalds. I don't eat there very often but every once in a while I get a value meal. I like the nuggets with sweet and sour, and Big Macs but I take the pickles off.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i ate a sausage and egg mcmuffin, for lunch

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Tony Homo posted:

In Lynwood Ca near where I work there's a McDonald's that has you build your own burger. You can choose the kind of patty and the type of bun and fixins. You can also order via a huge computer screen that you tap. Also, if you eat in the restaurant they give you a numbered plastic square you put on the table. When you walk in you're greeted by an employee who wears a small apron around her hip asking if they can help you order from the computer and build your own burger. I would imagine this is a test location since I haven't seen that anywhere else.

This is the endgame for raising minimum wage. If they have to pay counter monkeys $15 it becomes cost effective to automate those jobs. And it's not only Mcdonalds Taco Bell and a few others are heavily promoting their order from our app on your phone and skip the line to get a jump on it as well.

Cuckoo posted:

I want to say that one big thing keeping places like that alive is that fast food places often crop up in areas in poor/rural neighborhoods, where there IS no other choice. Not every place has a bunch of awesome little hole-in-the-wall places that charge as much if not less than fast food places to choose instead. The neighborhood in the place I work has literally fuckall to eat close by besides a bunch of fast food restaurants, and the nearest decent real food option like Sushi or Thai is far enough away that I'd be late for my work break if I went off to get it. And that's with a car who can get to it - I'd imagine many people poor enough to feel a need to eat fast food all the time can't even drive and are limited by biking or walking distance.

I think there's an actual term for it, called "food desert".

A Food Desert is when there are no grocery stores or places to buy healthy food/produce in the ghetto so you have to eat at convenience stores/fast food. It has nothing to do with whether you can get sushi you "putz".

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015
I like those cheeseburgers, they are pretty good imo

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I like to go to Mcdonald's after work and order a few mcchickens and mcdoubles and then scarf them all down in the dark, empty parking lot.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

a dog from hell posted:

I like to go to Mcdonald's after work and order a few mcchickens and mcdoubles and then scarf them all down in the dark, empty parking lot.

It makes me really glad that I can identify you by your excellent avatar. Mazeltov

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Business Gorillas posted:

They stay in business by paying their employees as little as possible as well as people refusing to go to other places, the *idea* that fast food is cheaper than normal food, and the idea of speed/convenience
I mean it admittedly is faster/more convenient if your definition of convenience largely overlaps with the faster part but yeah I just don't personally see it as a good tradeoff compared to grabbing a big ol bowl of pho or something and am surprised so many people do. Like I have coworkers that regularly hit fast food joints for lunch and idgi.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I once ordered a beef n cheddar from Arby's. They made a mistake and gave me 5 for the price of 1. I ate all 5 on my drive back to work at the waste treatment plant.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Prettyu obvious. their commercials are shot like theyre on a 500 dollar budget. As if they actually ordered from a mcdonalds and video taped the food and hired some black actors to have fun while eating it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
At some point, even as a grown adult, you want a toy that comes in the Happy Meal. It could be a Batman thing that looks neat, a Hello Kitty thing to put on your desk, a Lego cup, the Halloween bucket of the pumpkin.*

Otherwise, you want to save McDs? Run McDonald's Monopoly 3 times a year. My rear end would be in there all the time.

*THAT'S what McD's needs to do: Happy Meal for grown ups. It's just like their regular value meals, except it comes with a 'toy' for adults like a thumb drive or code for Xbox Live downloads.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 20, 2015

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

At some point, even as a grown adult, you want a toy that comes in the Happy Meal. It could be a Batman thing that looks neat, a Hello Kitty thing to put on your desk, a Lego cup, the Halloween bucket of the pumpkin.*

Otherwise, you want to save McDs? Run McDonald's Monopoly 3 times a year. My rear end would be in there all the time.

*THAT'S what McD's needs to do: Happy Meal for grown ups. It's just like their regular value meals, except it comes with a 'toy' for adults like a thumb drive or code for Xbox Live downloads.

Brilliant, aim for the manchildren. The mind of a baby but the wallet of a man. They could start with MLP to hit that brony crowd and then move to star wars, or superheroes to really get that manchild money.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
For the record I do enjoy McDonald's coffee, because $1 is the correct price for fast food chain coffee

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
McDonalds food is actually pretty drat good its all the loving food snobs that make it sound like its literal poison or some poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

McDonalds food is actually pretty drat good its all the loving food snobs that make it sound like its literal poison or some poo poo.

It's not especially bad and lord knows there are plenty of small time places that manage to do it worse somehow, but it is a long way from "pretty drat good", especially given the price. The coffee's cheap and very decent, though.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Enfield posted:

what are you a loving mcdonalds scientist

No, McDowell is another D&D pedant who is here to educate you about the evils of capitalism. As that sub forum slowly suffocates from being too far up its own rear end in a top hat, I'd guess we'll see more refugees here in the trout

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I heard someone got a bee once in their Wendy's chili. hosed up if true

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edgar posted:

I once ordered a beef n cheddar from Arby's. They made a mistake and gave me 5 for the price of 1. I ate all 5 on my drive back to work at the waste treatment plant.

can you just take a poo poo right in the giant vat of poop water?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Pauline Kael posted:

I heard someone got a bee once in their Wendy's chili. hosed up if true

Its true that if wendys is low on the vegetables for the chili they just gather up dead insects, and pour it in there

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
I tried the buttermilk chicken sandwich bc they mailed me a bunch of buy one get one sandwich coupons and it was OK but chikfila is better. There's a local place that sells wings pizza etc until like 4am so I can't even say mcd is good when everything else is closed lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didnt this turn out to be a giant loving scam, with high-up employees and their families winning all the good prizes or something?

• Locked thread