Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It's possible the po got the wrong sized belt or just tried the "whatever works for cheap" method if the store didn't have the right belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

So if it's the wrong belt will the alternator test as bad when it's probably fine?

If the alternator was going out, wouldn't it drain the battery faster than two weeks? It's been awhile since the new battery, and I noticed it getting slowly weaker when I was working last night, getting in and out of it to check on our other properties, it would start slower and slower until it dies this morning when I tried to start it. It charged right the gently caress up no problem though.

Possibly. Most parts stores have a big stand alone tester by the battery charger/tester that will do starters and alternators. Alternately, if you have the tensioner maxed and still have some slack in the belt, the belt is either stretched or too large which would cause the shrieking and cause your alternator not to function correctly by slipping on the pulley. Also, agreeing with kastien, those style terminals suck rear end, get marine style ones if possible.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

Patch job:

Also just found out the axle nut needs to be torqued to 217 ft lbs and my torque wrench only goes to 150 :smithicide:

The rental one from o'reilly's should go up to 250 or 300. I'd call to make sure. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

Not worried about them, it's Hillsborough, Pasco and Polk that are the problem. BURN THE BRIDGES.

You know what Polk stands for right? People Of Little Knowledge

Hey, Hillsborough isn't that ba- ok, I can't say that with a straight face. You'd still have to build a wall to block out the channel of pure insanity that is 19.

Also, can't wait to see your new example of fine example of automotive ~excellence~.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How much did that fine example of automotive engineering cost you?

• Locked thread