Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I like this thread. AI needs more shitboxes.

Please put a turbo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Check valve is built into that vacuum line, that's why I got a new one. I figured the old line and/or check valve was hosed but I guess not. Throwing parts at this problem isn't gonna work apparently :v:

The obvious answer is "throw more parts."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nyloks will burn right out. There are specific locking nuts for high temp, but why bother? It's an exhaust... Just torque the poo poo out of it and it'll be fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Any advice? :q:

Don't lose track of cams/crank orientation while doing a timing chain. :unsmith:

The LS is a car where you can TELL that Toyota said "gently caress it, we're going to make something that's the best in the world." And 15 years later, the cars still feel like that.

Nicely done. 90k miles isn't even broken in. Well bought. :golfclap:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 14, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Also the 430's have a timing belt, believe it or not, and it actually looks like a relatively easy job.

Just praying the starter never goes :v:

Damnit, typo. I was looking at GM shitboxes with the 3.6 VVT motor that eats timing chains and had chains on the mind.

The LS 400/430 has a timing belt, yep. It's not hard, but when I did it, I didn't have the cams locked in any way. One of them moved a bit during the belt change. Before I pulled the pin on the tensioner, I wanted to double-check and rotated the motor. Mistake. Don't do that. :D

The starter will never go. Drive without fear. And drive it hard, because nobody ever does, but those cars loving LOVE it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Veeb0rg posted:

Vanity or to discourage people from doing their own maintenance.

And huge noise reduction. The underneath of that plastic on that motor is some very dense, heavy insulation.

• Locked thread