Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
McVeigh was arrested for illegal weapon possession.

So if there were no guns he wouldn't have been caught. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, freedom haters.

Ironically enough if gun havers had their way he would have literally not been caught because it was only illegal possession of a gun that they arrested him for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just think, when that Oklahoma State Trooper pulled over McVeigh, in the ideal fantasy of a gun owner, upon pulling him over for not having licence plates and seeing a bulge in his jacket, when McVeigh pointed out that he was indeed carrying a gun the Trooper would have congratulated him on exercising his rights, waived him on with a warning about the plate and they wouldn't have that stupid talking point every time someone criticizes their toys.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They only like hoarding guns for the eventual possibility of a race war zombie apocalypse.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

There was no constitutional right for slaves not to be enslaved for a long time and slave owners were perfectly happy with that, so the logic checks out, I guess?

Up until they were given their rights not to be enslaved nobody at all bothered to help them or even work towards it since it was a futile, pointless gesture. It was only until the amendment passed, perhaps sprung from the quill of god himself, that it became a cause worth fighting.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Killer robot posted:

Unlocked guns vs. locked ones having a relatively small effect on suicide rates isn't such a big shock on consideration, but I never would have guessed that having multiple guns would make suicide so much less likely than a single gun. I wonder why it's the case.

Maybe they realize at some point that they've invested far too much time and money into a pointless hobby and that no normal person would have any need for multiple implements designed solely to kill. They might then realize that they've contributed in a meaningful sense to the gun culture that allows the NRA to have an inordinate amount of political power and that every child that is killed in a school shooting is partially the fault of said culture.

Given such a revelation it's no surprise that they want to end it all. Thank god they've got an efficient means of doing it.

e: Oh, less chance. Ignore that, then. Guess the presence of guns does help meaningfully to mental health and that gun owners are right to vote in favour of that particular avenue rather than the traditional means.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Killer robot posted:

Nice try, but I think you misread. :ssh:

Indeed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Probably because carrying around a weapon implies a serious intent to want to hurt someone, which is not actually the normal behaviour of a non-psychopath.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

tumblr.txt posted:

if carrying a gun actually made you a psychopath than the CCWs would have killed you all by now

e: are police psychopaths? Armed guards?

Police, having a mandate to enforce the law, actually have a legitimate claim to be carrying weapons around, and even then they are (usually) trained in how to use them properly.

Except in America of course where it's standard practice to shoot first and ask questions later, so I guess in America police actually are psychopaths, they just happen to be legally mandated ones. I guess it's just as well that they are, because there's so many people who deem it necessary to carry lethal implements everywhere they go on the off chance they get to shoot someone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Butch Cassidy posted:

With the full disclosure that some gunowners are complete assholes; no, carrying a gun does not imply a desire to cause harm.

I carry simply because some people are dangerous and a firearm is the most effective means with which to return violence. I don't want to harm anyone and have no specific thought in mind every day when I clip a Glock to my belt. I don't talk about it, don't show it to people, and generally conciously forget it is there and give it no more though than my pocketknife or handkercheif.

There is a world of difference between an intent to harm and a willingness to. I also accept the attitude some have that even a willing mindset is uncomfortable. But they can leave me alone just as I do them.

Yes, there are dangerous people out there, but violent crime has been consistently on the decline for a long time now.

You're statistically more likely to fall down the stairs and injure yourself or die of a sudden heart attack than you are to be violently assaulted yet we never really see people dressing up like the Michelin man or carrying around shock paddles to help in these scenarios.

That you don't think twice about carrying a gun around says more about how ingrained your paranoia has become rather than any meaningful attempt to protect yourself.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

LeJackal posted:

Better idea - lets spend money to keep people from becoming criminals in the first place!

This is a good idea. I guess this is your official endorsement of Bernie Sanders? I assume you'll be voting for him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nevvy Z posted:

Bernie was walking a very fine line between not alienating is rural voters nor the audience, suggested he supported many specific gun control laws and named them, and was trying to express realism about the fact that gun owners are a significant lobby so it's disingenuous for the other candidates to take the stage and say "IM GONNA DO WHAT BARACK OBAMA COULDNT AND BERNIE SANDERS WONT" when they can't really do anything either. He didn't do the best job of it, so now he's racist. :rolleyes:

I'm positive that gun havers, who care so much about the rights of minorities, will do the right thing and vote for a candidate who has a perfect record of voting for civil right issues and was on the front lines of the civil rights movement when it was kicking off, rather than just being single issue voters and voting for the others who haven't got such a stellar record in the field they truly, deeply and sincerely care about.

Surely a hobby can't trump that, right?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nonsense posted:

Why do tfr's neg on homosexuality?

My guess is that it's their unwavering support on minority rights.

Namely white heterosexuals, who are the real minority.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It generally depends on the type of laser, and a few other factors. Having impurities in the air such as dust or smoke will scatter the light making it more visible, but they can be visible in normal conditions under certain circumstances.

So probably not with the red beam of death like in films.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reminder that American Hero Chris Kyle thought an effective treatment for mental health problems (something gun supporters are very, very concerned with) was to take a PTSD sufferer to a firing range and let off several rounds, because what traumatized veteran doesn't love being surrounded by gun fire?

It went about as well as you'd expect.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SedanChair posted:

Well does he have PTSD anymore?

I have no idea. I'm just slightly amazed that the laws of reality happened to be completely broken on that day because in a place dedicated to guns, in which most people are armed, and presumably capable of defending themselves, someone was capable of two counts of murder and managed to get out of there alive.

I thought that guns prevented that from happening?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A black dude firing at the police isn't going to go down no matter what injustice is being perpetuated.

Even if they're actually a police officer themselves.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Who What Now posted:

What if the dude says "no homo" before he goes down? Asking for... a friend.

Unless the internet has lied to me it's quite clearly only gay if balls touch.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In the UK aswell when a black man is shot and the gun he was apparently holding ends up 30ft away in a box in a bush there's at least a farce of an investigation, rather than it being business as usual.

Even the pretence is a slight step up from the American system, because while the're busy being investigated they're at least put in a position that will temporarily lessen their chances of shooting an unarmed minority.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've suggested this before for police officers in lieu of body cams, but how about a compromise: You can have any gun you want, but it's attached directly to your scrotum. To aim and fire it will require the loss of your scrotum.

Any situation in which you would be justified to attempt to kill another person will surely be cause enough for you to lose your testicles.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd probably say bicycles lacking an effective cup holder is probably a bigger reason why they haven't been taken up en masse by Americans than "we might have to wear a helmet"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nessus posted:

For that matter, a lot can change in fifty years, and I think assuming that the NRA would necessarily remain the same is ridiculous.

I'd probably say this was true if the entire reason for their existence wasn't predicated on a 200 year old document.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nobody has really explained to me how the paradox of Chris Kyle's death occurred.

He was at a firing range, a place, by definition, filled with guns. Everyone in that place had a gun. Being at a range, they were presumably trained to use guns, yet a PTSD-suffering schizophrenic was able to murder two people without being blown away, something we're assured will almost always happen in any situation where someone goes nuts with a gun.

How is this possible? How did an entire range full of good guys with gun fail to stop a single bad guy with a gun? Was his gun-fu stronger than everyone else's, or is it just that when bullets start flying gun owners turn out to be just as cowardly and prone to panic as everyone else?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I never would have thought bringing up an example of citizen approved MAD and it's failure to not prevent the death of a true patriot or immediately bring the murderer to justice would be so contentious.

It's almost as if one of the large talking points about why guns are necessary is complete bullshit that doesn't actually hold up in a real world scenario.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The range owner or other concerned citizens taking the time to check if those shots fired are actually being fired properly and not in the back of the head of fellow range users? No need to worry about that, what are the chances.

Meanwhile going out the front door with a small arsenal or sleeping with a loaded shotgun under bed on the miniscule chance any given person you see is going to rape and murder you is entirely reasonable, it's almost guaranteed to happen if you don't have your magical talisman.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Once you you enter a range you take on the understanding that you're entering a strange flux in reality where it is simultaneously well regulated and completely safe but also a no man's land where nobody can predict or prevent someone being shot in the back of the head.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why didn't they honor Kyle with a 21 gun salute directly into the guy who murdered two people?

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 24, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Look, dudes, I'm just carrying a knotted piece of rope, a wooden cross and a tank of gasoline but rest assured I don't mean any of them as a threat. I just feel more comfortable walking around with these items.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always assumed the Federal Militia was the National Guard.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

tumblr.txt posted:

OK, the US legal system somehow gets this through. What is your plan for dealing with the 300 million guns already out there?

This is the kind of can't-do attitude that made American military incursions an unmitigated disaster since WW2

"But it's too hard :qq:" -- Something not said by the Marines at Iwo Jima

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Unsurprisingly when it comes to collecting taxes the US Government, a task it has to do with more than 300 million people, including checking eligibility, even right-wing nutjobs agree that they're incredibly efficient, perhaps too much so.

Sadly they could never do such large-scale civic projects, it would be completely inconceivable and unprecedented.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really don't think SedanChair is going to be able to successfully wage economic war against the United States of America by making receivers in his basement and abusing the buyback program.

That's the sort of delusional thinking that should preclude you from being able to own a firearm.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Likewise if you're capable of producing enough to make a sufficient dent in the government's attempts to limit weapons you should probably start up shop as a weapons dealer because I hear that's a lucrative market.

The US might even hire you to produce weapons for them with all those resources you're sitting on.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Maybe you could use all that material you've got to build something constructive, like a space ship so you can start your own colony where you can make all the guns you want.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really, no. The point is, previous prohibitions led to increased criminality and violence, and failed to substantially curb supply, and there is no reason to believe a prohibition on guns would be any more successful. Pointing out, "yes, but those bootleggers and drug runners used GUNS!" does not in any way dispute that.

Except of course in all those countries where there are prohibitions on guns, which remarkably don't have the problem of black churches or schools being shot up on a regular basis.

I guess if you ignore that then the theory makes perfect sense.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

C.M. Kruger posted:

Good job ignoring all the hate crimes that Europeans commit against Muslims, Jews, Roma, etc.

Being Roma myself I'm glad there are prohibitions on guns or myself and several of my family members would probably be dead by now.

But way to move those goalposts, champ, it's almost as if I made a point about in countries where there are prohibitions on guns you can quite easily measure the effects having no guns will have on gun related deaths: They're very, very rare.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nessus posted:

I thought this was more recent than it was. This and the Onion's "Another Gun Massacre Which We Couldn't Have Prevented" article. I don't know what to call them (and I'm sure someone will say 'cheap propaganda that unbellyfeels amerigunfree' etc.) but it's like this new evolution of gallows humor. But it's not quite humor, either.

That particular Onion article has been reposted many, many times and in each time the only details that have changed are the amount of people killed and the location and it's still depressingly accurate.

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Europeans mainly kill groups other than black people."
"STOP MOVING THE GOALPOSTS!!!!!!"

You can scarcely comprehend anything beyond a pre-school level, I don't think you should have a gun, unless your sole purpose is to be in that pre-school, waiting for the next regularly scheduled mass killing to take place.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

C.M. Kruger posted:

Rude. Do you have a actual rebuttal beyond insults and pearl clutching?

Considering that you don't comprehend what the original point was I don't really see the point, as either my point stands and you are an idiot, or you're arguing in bad faith in which case it will fall on deaf ears.

• Locked thread