Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Steam Link

Currently available for $49.99 on sale for $14.99, the Steam Link is basically a Chromecast-style relay device for Steam. It remotely accesses the library on any sharing-enabled copy of Steam running on the same network, streams the screen and audio to a TV, and sends controller or keyboard and mouse input back.

Steam Controller

Currently available for $49.99 on sale for $34.99, the Steam Controller is meant be a new kind of game controller. It uses a pair of trackpads for your thumbs, with the thumbstick and face buttons demoted to a secondary position. The trackpads can be configured to work like thumbsticks, like button sets (with the left thumbpad including a D-pad like cross indentation for that purpose), and to control mouse movement (with "trackball" and "normal" options), along with other options. It also includes a new kind of button - back grip buttons that you're meant to click with with your lower fingers.

Analog inputs: Right and left trigger, right and left thumbpad, left thumbstick, gyroscope
Buttons: Right and left trigger ("full click" can be configured separately from the analog trigger), right and left bumper, right and left back grip, right and left thumbpad ("click" can be configured separately from "tap"), left thumbstick, A/B/X/Y, Select, Start

FAQ

How do I use this is in a game?
In Big Picture mode: Choose a game from your library, go to the game settings, and use the "Configure Controller" option to set a controller map.
In non-Big Picture mode: Right-click a game in your library and choose "Configure Controller", then grumble and curse because it just launches a limited Big Picture window anyway.

Mouse control with the thumbpad is really weird. How do I fix it?
The default setting is the "trackball" style. Change it in the controller configs to the normal mouse style and tinker with the sensitivity settings and you can make it work pretty well.

Why does it keep making noise?
That's the haptic feedback system, which is supposed to give the feeling of actual physical buttons for the thumbpads. You can change that per game in the controller mapping, either to remove it or make it more intense.

How do I change the default settings?
Right now, you can't do that without manually editing config files (which get reset the next time Steam launches). The file structure suggests that some kind of global configuration settings are coming.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Does anyone use the left trackpad for anything other than d-padding? I kinda wish they'd replaced the left pad with a proper d-pad.

In order to be able to use a d-pad when playing on my Steam Link, I've recently purchased an "Xbox 360 wireless receiver" as Wireless 360 controller for PC is supported and I already have a bunch of wireless controllers with my Xbox 360. What I received was not official Microsoft hardware, came with a huge software install (50MB, which is huge in my book for what should be a couple of drivers) and refused to go into sync mode both on the Steam Link and an actual PC with all the software installed. Even found a fix online that required altering an ini file on the official Microsoft drivers to make them think they're for the knockoff. Nothing. Luckily I'm in the Netherlands where online purchases are subject to some strict laws and I am allowed to send it back for my money back for up to 14 days, no questions asked. Learn from my mistake though, if you want to use an XBox 360 Wireless receiver with the Steam Link, make sure it's an official Microsoft one. You can tell because it says "Microsoft" on it, if it doesn't or says something else it's a knockoff that will probably be a bitch to get to work even on a PC and that will almost certainly not work with a Steam Link. They can be a bit hard to find, they also come with the Wireless XBox 360 Controller for PC.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I JUST put in my pre-order on the 20th for the controller and link and got to learn if I put it in a day earlier I would have gotten it before december apparently (or whenever it's supposed to get in my hands) :smith:

I wasn't sure about something, specifically How does the controller connect to your device of choice. The link I assume has bluetooth and the controller will connect via that, but for a PC without bluetooth what's the method. Do I need to plug it in via a cable (which I'm cool with), will it come with a bluetooth dongle (which I would like) or is it just "lol your problem ok bye"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it has a dongle and extension lead

steam link works native with a ds4 inc. bluetooth which is real nice

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm curious about how well Steam Link will work for media playback. From what I understand it will mirror any program you add to Steam, so if I can just plug in XBMC/Kodi and go that would be awesome.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I streamed Netflix on it just fine, as expected as the hardware is perfectly capable. Any application that has not yet been tried yet is a potential candidate to have something go wrong with window focus/inputs though. Most programs were probably tested only on a setup where they were interacted with on the actual computer running it. Most things will probably work but don't get one assuming something will definitely work without asking someone to test it I'd say.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Roadie posted:

How do I use this in non-Big Picture Mode Steam?
You don't, at least for now.

This is pretty magical

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
So how good do First Person Shooters control with the trackpad?

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
One thing I haven't notice anyone else mention is that the Steam Controller doesn't seem to support basic rumble. I find this makes playing racing games harder since there's no physical feedback for grip or if you're going off the course. Even The Witcher 3 makes good use of rumble for indicating when your Quen shield runs out or there's something nearby you can find with Witcher Sense. Maybe Valve assumes devs will use the haptics to replace that, but it seems like the haptic motors should be able to emulate rumble for existing games.

StickFigs posted:

So how good do First Person Shooters control with the trackpad?

I've played a couple hours of Ziggurat with the right touchpad in "Mouse" mode and it's pretty good. It's a huge step up from using a regular controller and, while I would still be better with a mouse for aiming, having analog movement is really nice in that game.

I tried Metro 2033 Redux, but there was some compatibility problem and my character would keep moving after letting go of the left stick.

I also played Deus Ex: Revision and it worked well for controlling the character, but the sensitivity for the mouse pointer is really high so the menus can be annoying and there are lots of computers that require typing with a real keyboard.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
You could also add that the controller has some motion controls too, although I think it's poorly documented.

This guy shows a good way to use it for aiming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43ibnztDLc

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Funkameleon posted:

You could also add that the controller has some motion controls too, although I think it's poorly documented.

This is going to be where the controller shines, assuming it's fully configurable. Fine additive control within a certain near radius, functional ring deadzone, and then exponential counter-force along the outer edge of a pad set to behave like a very low friction trackball.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cephalocidal posted:

This is going to be where the controller shines, assuming it's fully configurable. Fine additive control within a certain near radius, functional ring deadzone, and then exponential counter-force along the outer edge of a pad set to behave like a very low friction trackball.

Was never a big fan of aiming with the Wiimote because of the input lag, but this seems to be a lot more responsive than a Wiimote! Still not sure if I'd like the controls like this but it's definitely an interesting option.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
My official Microsoft wireless receiver came in yesterday, so I've been able to play with a 360 controller on the Steam Link. It instantly worked without any installs or anything. All in all a great experience, but a few things to nag about:

-The text can be really small sometimes. I have a 46 inch TV which I sit about 4-4.5 meters away from, but text that is perfectly clear on my 24 inch monitor looks barely readable on my TV. Stuff like minimaps too. If Steam Link/Hardware gets popular some games might be updated with a seperate big picture mode to remedy this but you just know it won't happen for 90% of games.
-The filtering could be better. If you have a large game library just browsing is difficult. Big picture mode insists on a 3 column wide grid with only pictures. You can filter but there's very few filters available. You can use your custom defined game tags, but those still have awesome features like max 1 per game and randomly being removed by Steam from time to time (Steam thread OP has a link to a tool that will let you define them much easier and back them up though).
-Two games I've tried had a problem where a lower resolution was streamed for some reason and I saw only the top left portion of the screen (Soundodger and Roundabout).
-The 360 controller doesn't interact as well as with an 360. Meaning I have to turn the link on with the Steam Controller (no idea how it would work without a Steam Controller), and if I turn it off the XBox controller stays on with no way to turn it off. Selecting turn off controller does nothing either.

Hopefully the latter three issues will be fixed with firmware updates soon.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Griefor posted:

-The 360 controller doesn't interact as well as with an 360. Meaning I have to turn the link on with the Steam Controller (no idea how it would work without a Steam Controller), and if I turn it off the XBox controller stays on with no way to turn it off. Selecting turn off controller does nothing either.

On Windows the controller will turn itself off after inactivity. There's no way to do this manually. So I'm assuming this will never be fixed

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
How's the Link work over wireless. My computer's on AC and my living room doesn't have a hard network jack. Worth it?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it has a dongle and extension lead

steam link works native with a ds4 inc. bluetooth which is real nice

Cool, so no lag with the bluetooth? I have this coming soon and was praying the dualshock worked

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm pretty hopeful these controllers are going to help me. I've currently lost a lot of function in my right hand and I can no longer use mouse and keyboard together for gaming. I've recovered enough use that I can now just about manage a Xbox controller ok but they suck for fps gaming. Hoping the Steam controller is an improvement although all the reviews obviously don't take something like my situation in to account and keep saying things like 'it's not as good as m/k for fps gaming' which isn't much help to me. I need to know how much better or worse than a controller it is for fps games

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

I need to know how much better or worse than a controller it is for fps games

After messing around with a few different shooters (though mostly third person, JC2, BL2, GTAV in 1st) I would say that it's not currently any better or worse than, say, a 360 controller. I think the configurability of it is a significant advantage, because with the right tweaking I have genuinely been enjoying using the touchpads as twin sticks (setting the joystick to dpad). But it's a double-edged sword because I haven't had the steam controller feel at all right in a game without in-depth tweaking. The grip triggers are a cool idea and more or less work out well for shooters, especially since I find reaching the abxy buttons oddly awkward.

I really like the touchpads tbh and think the potential is there for the steam controller to be better than a 360 controller but unless they can really nail the ergonomics and button placement (and swap the joystick for a dpad) in a v2 I'm pretty flaccid on it. I really hope it works for you!

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Personally I've been liking it substantially better than my 360 controller for first person games, having right pad on mouse emulation makes a huge difference once you get the settings tweaked right. Also the ergonomics and button placement are pretty much perfect for my hands, so your mileage may vary I guess . The only physical issue I've had with it so far is accidentally hitting the edge of the left pad when trying to press the back button, since they're pretty close together. Right pad + gyro aiming takes more adjustment for sure, but has a lot of potential. I tried out a pad+gyro setup in Team Fortress 2 and it played way more naturally than it does on a 360 controller. Sniping was easy to adjust to with it, as well as landing pills with demoman, although rocket jumping is at the very least going to require a lot of re-learning. Even scout wasn't too bad, though with his speed it was easy to get a bit confused. Borderlands pre-sequel worked pretty well too, and probably improved my sniping aim to be honest, though it's a bit more difficult in close quarters fights to start with.

Right now it's definitely more of an enthusiast's controller than a one-size fits all sort of thing, as it does take tweaking to get it where you want it, but if you're willing to work with it I think it's a great little device.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Funkameleon posted:

This has been working pretty well for me. I've been playing through the original Half-Life with it, and I've popped headcrabs in mid-air a few times. Definitely takes some getting used to though.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Why does no one care about Steam hardware? Is gaming on your TV destined to exclusively be a console thing?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

There's a steam thread where chat mostly comes up.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Evil Robot posted:

Why does no one care about Steam hardware? Is gaming on your TV destined to exclusively be a console thing?

We're definitely still deep in the early adopter phase. I'd never have gotten a console this early but the Steam Link is nicely cheap (compared to a PS4) and already has a massive library of games. That said, if you buy one now, you'll receive it the 10th of November. I don't know how big the very first batch was but people receiving it now are still people who pre-ordered one way in advance, like a couple months ago.

This has the potential to be huge (though not as huge as PS4 obviously) but there's definitely some start-up problems and many people are probably waiting to read about experiences before buying.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Here's my verdict: It's really good for playing Minecraft. BUY! BUY! BUY!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
So can you play any non-steam games on it by making a shortcut in your steam library?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

So can you play any non-steam games on it by making a shortcut in your steam library?

Yeah, that's how I'm playing witcher 3 right now. The only downside is that you can't see the community created schemes, but so far I haven't found them very helpful anyway.

On a related note, would the desktop mode allow me to play the brutal doom mod? I have been having a hell of a time getting it to load through a steam short cut.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Griefor posted:

Does anyone use the left trackpad for anything other than d-padding? I kinda wish they'd replaced the left pad with a proper d-pad.

In order to be able to use a d-pad when playing on my Steam Link, I've recently purchased an "Xbox 360 wireless receiver" as Wireless 360 controller for PC is supported and I already have a bunch of wireless controllers with my Xbox 360. What I received was not official Microsoft hardware, came with a huge software install (50MB, which is huge in my book for what should be a couple of drivers) and refused to go into sync mode both on the Steam Link and an actual PC with all the software installed. Even found a fix online that required altering an ini file on the official Microsoft drivers to make them think they're for the knockoff. Nothing. Luckily I'm in the Netherlands where online purchases are subject to some strict laws and I am allowed to send it back for my money back for up to 14 days, no questions asked. Learn from my mistake though, if you want to use an XBox 360 Wireless receiver with the Steam Link, make sure it's an official Microsoft one. You can tell because it says "Microsoft" on it, if it doesn't or says something else it's a knockoff that will probably be a bitch to get to work even on a PC and that will almost certainly not work with a Steam Link. They can be a bit hard to find, they also come with the Wireless XBox 360 Controller for PC.

This is useful info, thanks! I have a couple of old Xbox 360 wireless controllers that I would love to use with the Steam Link. I can only find the official wireless receiver on eBay, in a package with a controller which I don't really need. Is there another way to connect the 360 controllers? I don't suppose that there is an Xbone receiver that is also compatible with 360 controllers.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Question for you guys using a Steam Link:

How long does the Steam Link go without activity before going to sleep?

There doesn't seem to be a setting on the link to set when to turn the link off after a period of inactivity. My wife was playing Psychonauts and lost some progress earlier tonight. She left the game on pause while we switched inputs to the ps3, when we switched inputs back about a half hour later the Steam Link had turned off and Psychonauts was no longer running on my PC.

Trying to repeat the problem, the Steam Link remained on and active after 10 minutes without any input from the controller. Maybe it's somewhere between 11-30 minutes? The main issue was that it also shut down the game on my pc which caused her to lose some progress.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Bubz posted:

This is useful info, thanks! I have a couple of old Xbox 360 wireless controllers that I would love to use with the Steam Link. I can only find the official wireless receiver on eBay, in a package with a controller which I don't really need. Is there another way to connect the 360 controllers? I don't suppose that there is an Xbone receiver that is also compatible with 360 controllers.

Nope. You can use a wired controller or an official receiver, those are your options. XBone receiver won't even work with Steam Link if you use an XBone Controller. You can only use XBone Controllers that are wired. I also ended up buying a package with an additional controller I didn't really need.

Jolo posted:

How long does the Steam Link go without activity before going to sleep?

I think 15 minutes. But some people had trouble with it as well, and I have a quote from someone from Valve from here:

henryg (Valve) posted:

This sounds like a problem with the Steam Link firmware. The Link should only shut down after 15 minutes while you are in the menus, and the timeout should be much longer while you are playing games or watching movies. We will investigate and hopefully fix it in an automatic update very soon.

Anyone know how to wake it up from sleep? I've had it happen a few times and the only way to get it back to work was to power cycle the thing, it wouldn't respond to anything anymore.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm looking forward for the 10th so I can get some goon impressions of the controller. A lot of review sites are iffy about it, and the (garbage) steam forums are seemingly split.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I pre-ordered my Steam Controller and had it delivered by Gamestop and it arrived a few weeks ago. I only tested it a bit before packing it away as my Christmas present.

• I had an XBox 360 controller before this, so naturally this felt much lighter and smaller in my hands.
  • It feels even lighter without the two AAA batteries in it, as you can use the USB Cable that comes with it as a wired controller. Getting batteries into the slots is a bit cumbersome, but I can see why the chose to have them slot into each handle.
  • Once it's plugged in, it syncs up nicely, acting as both a mouse and controller. The right touchpad acts as the mouse cursor in that case. It does feel a bit stiff though, where you need to move it multiple times to go across the screen, but I have a feeling that once the community get their hands on it, they will configure it to work more smoothly.
  • Rather than test this with a game with Controller support, I decided to test it with a M+Kb setup first on Steam Marines. Steam immediately checked to see what setup I wanted to use and then adjusted the controller accordingly. It seemed to work fine with the game, no issues seemed to stand out so I could see it working fine with slower games like Cities: Skyline or X:Com.
  • The left trackpad / direction pad feels a bit off, I personally don't like how it clicks when you want to push down for the direction compared to how you lightly run your thumb over it to activate the trackpad.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with it.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Griefor posted:

Nope. You can use a wired controller or an official receiver, those are your options. XBone receiver won't even work with Steam Link if you use an XBone Controller. You can only use XBone Controllers that are wired. I also ended up buying a package with an additional controller I didn't really need.

Fair enough - I grabbed an official controller / receiver combo from ozgameshop. At least I suppose I can hook up my old controllers to the receiver!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Griefor posted:

Anyone know how to wake it up from sleep? I've had it happen a few times and the only way to get it back to work was to power cycle the thing, it wouldn't respond to anything anymore.

Thanks for this. I guess it's 15 minutes of inactivity even if a game is running. At least that's how it seemed for us last night.

As for waking it up. I can only get it to wake up reliably by using the Steam Controller. Even with a 360 controller connected with usb, it won't turn the Link on on it's own. Just as a warning, don't hold down the button on the Steam Controller while a game is running, because that will turn off the Link as well as the controller. The game was still running on my pc, but there wasn't any way to continue playing it from the Link.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody planning to give Fallout 4 a try with this tonight? I assume it'll have standard controller support, but I'm planning to turn on the gyroscope aiming assist as well. Not sure what to do with the grips yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

404notfound posted:

Anybody planning to give Fallout 4 a try with this tonight? I assume it'll have standard controller support, but I'm planning to turn on the gyroscope aiming assist as well. Not sure what to do with the grips yet.

Some impressions would be cool after you play. I'm really on the fence about this controller, but equally excited. And thanks other poster for giving us your impressions :)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just can't seem to get the camera movement feeling good with any of the joystick output options. Plus, something about the gyroscopic controls acts really weird when you do joystick output. I'll play with it a bit more after work today, but I think I might just have to resort to a mouse/keyboard config for the Steam Controller for Fallout.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Somebody with an AMD card buy a Link and tell me how lovely it is thanks.

I'm wondering how my 7950 will handle streaming some modern platform poo poo I've skipped over, like Rayman, etc. nVidia appears to have a monopoly on streaming technology for some reason. And I have a gigabit ethernet cable next to my TV but apparently it doesn't have a gigabit port.

Also, can you plug a keyboard into a link and use it for stuff like Civilization? It seems like the platform stuff that would be the best for the living room would stream/lag the worst, and the turn-based stuff that would stream best would be lovely with just a controller. But a controller plus a keyboard for some hotkeys might be manageable.

The Steam Link is truly a riddle for the ages.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I ordered my steam link and my controller on the same day.

My steam link is here :toot:

My controller isn't.

I'm glad I have a spare ps3 controller I was using for everything, but I can't seem to get it to connect via bluetooth. Is there a magic trick or is it just "keep it plugged in via usb"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Forer posted:

I ordered my steam link and my controller on the same day.

My steam link is here :toot:

My controller isn't.

I'm glad I have a spare ps3 controller I was using for everything, but I can't seem to get it to connect via bluetooth. Is there a magic trick or is it just "keep it plugged in via usb"

PS3 controller just won't work via bluetooth. PS4 one will if you have one of those.

My steam link arrived. It handled throwing pcsx2 in software mode playing yakuza 2 at it pretty well. My processor struggled every once in awhile but oh well the i5-3550 can't do everything. Honestly I was just surprised it even worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Its still "coming soon" in NZ. Lame. I am hanging out to get my hands on that controller.

• Locked thread