Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hello and welcome to Quantum Mafia, a game of unlimited (or possibly indeterminate) size. In this game you will be playing both Town and Scum. You will be vanilla and the Cop. And most importantly, you will be both alive and dead.

You see, Quantum Mafia works differently to regular Mafia. In regular Mafia there are many possible teams that can be formed, and only the moderator knows which one is real. In Quantum Mafia, you are playing all possible realities at once and victory can only be achieved by first invalidating all bar one of those realities.

Instead of having a role, each player has a number. This number relates to a set of variables: a percentage chance of being alive, a percentage chance of being Scum, and a hidden chance of being the Cop. Everyone knows all the variables for every number, but nobody knows which number belongs to which player other than their own. If at any point a player is dead in 100% of all remaining realities, he flips immediately. Players who become 100% Town cannot submit NKs as they can't be Scum, players who become 100% Scum cannot submit investigations as they can't be the Cop. Players who receive an investigation result that is later proved false by a flip cannot submit investigations as they also cannot be the Cop.

More detail on how the elimination of probabilities works can be found here, along with sample charts.

A full game of Quantum Mafia. If you want to experiment with the tracking software, the moderator posts a link to it somewhere in the thread.

GAME RULES

All standard rules regarding post editing (don't), out-of-thread communication (don't), posting after the hammer (don't), lurking (don't), being Harold Krell (don't) and voting apply.

This game has a Night 0, during which only investigations are submitted. In all following nights, all players may submit targets for investigation and NK unless they have been told not to.

Submitting night action targets is never compulsory, but it is recommended.

Days will run 48 hours, nights will run 24 hours. Adjustments may be made to put alternate nights over the weekends.

Lynch is by majority vote of surviving players. However, only one no-lynch is permitted. In the event of consensus not being reached on subsequent occasions, a random player will be lynched.

Setup is open. There will be one Town Cop, one Alpha Scum, and one Beta Scum. All other players will be Vanilla Town. As per the rules of Quantum Mafia, at the start of the game all players will potentially be all of these roles and should act accordingly.

The Town will win when all Scum are lynched. The Scum will win when there are enough confirmed Scum players to control the lynch.

PLAYERS

garthoneeye
Meinberg
Rather Watch Them
Pittsburgh Lambic
Kashuno
imgay
WilliamAnderson
AnonymousNarcotics
Carbon dioxide
Hiipfire
Ghostwoods
Cathulhu

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

code:
           Good Evil Dead Lock
Player  1: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Rather Watch Them)
Player  2:  50%  50%   0%  50%
Player  3:   0% 100% 100% 100% (Cathulhu)
Player  4: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Kashuno)
Player  5: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Ghostwoods)
Player  6: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Hiipfire)
Player  7: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Pittsburgh Lambic)
Player  8: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Meinberg)
Player  9:  50%  50%   0%  50%
Player 10: 100%   0% 100% 100% (WilliamAnderson)
Player 11: 100%   0% 100% 100% (Carbon dioxide)
Player 12: 100%   0%   0% 100%

Universes remaining: 2
Good/Evil: the percentage of universes in which you are Town or Scum.
Dead: the percentage of universes in which you are dead.
Lock: the percentage chance that you are the role you are most likely to be (VT, Cop, Alpha Scum, Beta Scum).

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 11, 2015

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I'll play.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I have no idea how this will work, but I want to see.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
cool ??

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I think I like this? It's certainly possible that I don't, but for now I do. Sign me up.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
What the gently caress? I'm in. PMs yes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I only browsed the rules when you talked about it yesterday, and scrolled right past them today.

Let's goooo

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll play to support my close friend kashuno

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you have more funny pictures for this game because I flat out broke out laughing in the office when you posted that drawing

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I will play.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'll give it a go

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rather Watch Them posted:

I think I like this? It's certainly possible that I don't, but for now I do. Sign me up.
You like it and dislike it at the same time. Ambivalence is the only quantum emotion.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sign me up.

Is the Town Cop the equivalent of Werewolf's seer?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sign me up.

Is the Town Cop the equivalent of Werewolf's seer?

Yes. Werewolves are Scum, Villagers are Town, Seer is Cop - it's just a change of name.

We have at least enough players to go (HiipFire, was that a signup?), so I'll close signups Sunday night (UK time) and start the game on Monday. If you can send Night 0 actions to me as soon as you receive your PM, please.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 24, 2015

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Yes it was

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Insane. Count me in.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

You know what they say: cowards die a great many deaths while the courageous taste but one.

Cowards are quantum physicists. Be a coward and join!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Sign me up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Apologies for the slight delay in starting, I had jobs to do around the house. Signup is now closed, PMs will be going out shortly.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I can't wait to kill someone!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Night 0:

code:
           Good Evil Dead Lock
Player  1:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  2:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  3:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player  4:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  5:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player  6:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  7:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  8:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  9:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player 10:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player 11:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player 12:  83%  16%   0%  74%

Remaining universes: 1254
Can all players please PM me their Night 0 investigation targets.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I didn't get a pm?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
PM received. Can I start trying to lynch everybody?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (12): Carbon dioxide, Cathulhu, garthoneeye, Ghostwoods, HiipFire, imgay, Kashuno, Meinberg, Pittsburgh Lambic, Rarity, Rather Watch Them, WilliamAnderson

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 27th, 2015 at 11 p.m. GMT -- that's in about 2 days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Apologies, forgot the 24 hours for submitting Night 0 actions. Deadline for Day 1 is now corrected as below.

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (12): Carbon dioxide, Cathulhu, garthoneeye, Ghostwoods, HiipFire, imgay, Kashuno, Meinberg, Pittsburgh Lambic, Rarity, Rather Watch Them, WilliamAnderson

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 28th, 2015 at 11 p.m. GMT -- that's in about 3 days.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind
It should be noted that this is literally my first game of forum mafia. I've read parts of game threads, though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cathulhu posted:

It should be noted that this is literally my first game of forum mafia. I've read parts of game threads, though.

:laffo: holy poo poo what a game to choose for your first. Good luck, and welcome!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind
I think I've got a hold of the mechanics (quantum or otherwise), and reading the OP I figured why the hell not.

Here's to hoping the one universe we end up with is the one where I'm a good player.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Gl hf

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Cathulhu posted:

I think I've got a hold of the mechanics (quantum or otherwise), and reading the OP I figured why the hell not.

Here's to hoping the one universe we end up with is the one where I'm a good player.

As my good friend Magnus Gallant would say, there is a 50/50 chance of that happening: either you'll be a good player or you'll be a bad player.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Meinberg posted:

As my good friend Magnus Gallant would say, there is a 50/50 chance of that happening: either you'll be a good player or you'll be a bad player.

I think you'll find it's 83% Good 16% Evil right now, actually.

MOD HAT: The OP has been updated with the complete setup, but here it is anyway:

1 Town Cop
1 Alpha Scum (performs NKs)
1 Beta Scum (takes over the NK if the Alpha dies)
9 Vanilla Town

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind
Bad =/= Evil

pls don't alignmentshame

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

I love doing inconsequential math like this. It might make up for my inability to play mafia.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lock: the percentage chance that you are the role you are most likely to be (VT, Cop, Alpha Scum, Beta Scum).

This game is awesome.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

I like how half of the players are somewhat less certain than the 3/4 club. Is that a feature of the system, that with some number of players the odds are EVER SO SLIGHTLY scattered? Or is it just proof of the chaos we have incited?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Chaos cannot be contained, it will destroy all that it touches.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rather Watch Them posted:

I like how half of the players are somewhat less certain than the 3/4 club. Is that a feature of the system, that with some number of players the odds are EVER SO SLIGHTLY scattered? Or is it just proof of the chaos we have incited?

It's a slight glitch caused by rounding errors. Everyone should be 5:1 Town and 75% locked (12 players, 9 VT).

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Jedit posted:

Sigh ... I need a replacement for Quantum Mafia - Rarity broke her wrist and needs to sub out. Still Night 0, nothing done yet.
Just modkill her in all the realities she broke her wrist in imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rarity has been replaced by AnonymousNarcotics. Play continues as normal.

• Locked thread