Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
BattleCON, that game where people fight!

In the redleft corner, we have Pendros Schalla, master of all four elements and never sitting still.
In the blueright corner, we have Voco Astrum, bringer of death, undeath, and headbanging! Sometimes even without the body!

Zombies versus elements! Whose ensemble will prevail? Will I find a hidden cleverness for flavor text?

On that last one, no.

:ducksiren: This math will be using the Force Gauge! :ducksiren:

All commentary and snide comments are welcome, from both the players and the viewers at home.

OmegaGoo, Wol, sending me opening discards and finishers. I'm going to class so you'll be getting the full update this evening but I wanted to get this posted so you could plan out your openers and start the smack talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Force Gauge

The Force Gauge is a way for players to dynamically alter their attacks a bit during play, as well as provide a mechanic more similar to a super gauge.

Your Force starts off the match at 2, and you gain one after recycling your cards each beat.. If you're at seven life or lower, you get an additional one. Simple, no? Oh, and you max out at ten.

So, what can you do with this Force?

Well, first, you can spend two as an ante Ante to Overload your attack. By Overloading, you can gain one of the following benefits.

+2 Priority
+1 Power
Stun Guard 2
Soak 1

You may Overload multiple times, but never for the same effect multiple times in a beat.

Additionally, you may also Pulse. At the end of each beat, after all other End of Beat effects each player in Active/Non-Active order has the option to spend seven (that's 7!) Force to Pulse. Only one player may pulse in a beat. Upon Pulsing, you may move yourself up to three spaces, or you may move an adjacent opponent up to three spaces. Unlike the normal Special Action Pulse, there's nothing about blanking an opponent's attack here: it's strictly repositioning.

Finally, you may activate your Force Gauge Finisher. How this works depends on your current life and Force, but it's activated the same way: just play your Special Action Card along with any base.

If you have Force equal to or greater than your current life total, then your attack pair becomes your Finisher! Activate your Finisher as though it's the entire attack pair blah blah standard Finisher stuff. Your Special Action Card is removed from the game, and the base you paired it with cycles through your discards all by its lonesome.

If your Force is less than your current life total, then you don't activate your Finisher. Instead, on reveal you gain 1 additional Force and may switch your Finisher from its A side to its B side, or vice versa. Finally, your actual attack this beat will be your Base, with no attached style. During Recycle, your Special Action Card and the paired base will cycle through, same as any other style-base pair.

A couple of notes: With the Force Gauge, your Special Action Card acts a lot more like a normal style. Accordingly, it's treated as a style card. Baenvier can bounce it, and you may start with it in one of your discard piles. This seems like a no-brainer, but don't underestimate the power of slow rolling a few beats with a Special Action Dash to get the Force going.

Finally, the book's a bit unclear on this front, so unless someone links me otherwise, I'm making this executive clarification: if you do a Force Gauge Finisher at high life (ie gain 1 force and flip finisher mode) and you trigger a clash, the clash will be resolved before you do the finisher flip, in case it's relevant. If you both do a high life FgF, then it resolves in priority order. If you both clash out all your bases doing this, no one gets any force or flip and I make fun of you.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I just realized... Doing the high life FgF is awesome for Voco. No Minimum Range boosts, no power decreases... Get the zombies out with the Styles, then switch to the card!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Hooo, Polymorphed is going to be a massive problem. I'd love to outrange Pendros, but that style can let him match me pretty much at will. Gulp.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Beat 1
Pendros Schalla
20/20 Life
2/10 Force

Discard 1: Tectonic Shot
Discard 2: Arboreal Burst
Finisher: Landslide Punch

Voco Astrum
20/20 Life
2/10 Force

Discard 1: Abyssal Shred
Discard 2: Force Grasp
Finisher: The Wave

Openings have been chosen! Send in your discards. Oh, and since you both have antes thanks to Force Gauge, one of you will be randomly chosen to ante first. The random.org dice gods have chosen Wol for that job, so both of you send in your beat 1 attack pairs and Wol will send me an initial ante play.

By the way, you don't have to by any means, but if you ever want to Conditional Order any antes through PM, let me know, as otherwise this will be the second slowest part of the whole affair (the first slowest being me not wanting to go downstairs and update when I could be playing video games).

-Voco antes nothing
-Pendros antes an Environmental Marker directly behind Voco
-Both players pass

No abilities trigger.
Wandering Drive has a Priority of 3, while Metal Drive has a Priority of 4. Voco is the Active Player this beat!

No abilities trigger.

Voco strums up a Metal Drive!

Voco advances two and then wheels around back to his starting position, leaving a trail of zombies.

Metal Drive has a range of 2, and look at that, Pendros is at range 2!

No abilities trigger.
Voco Drives for 3 damage! Pendros goes down to 17 life, but has Stun Guard 3 and holds fast!

No abilities trigger.

No abilities trigger.

Pendros advances two spaces as well.

Wandering Drive has a range of 1, right where Voco is! Pendros hits, but one of Voco's zombies gets in the way: Voco gains Soak 1.

Voco gets dragged over one space to the corner, leaving a new zombie in his place.
Wandering Drive has 4 Power against Voco's Soak of 1 and Stun Guard of 0. Voco takes 3 damage, bringing him to 17. He's also stunned, just as a cherry on top.

Pendros drops a new marker buddy in space 3.

No abilities trigger

Both players gain 1 Force.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 28, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I see I already forgot that Force Specials can be placed in opening discards.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Pass ante.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Place an Environment Marker behind Voco (space 6).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Still pass from Wol? (I'm guessing so, but still). If so, does OmegaGoo want to pass again as well?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I won't be doing anything more (except MAYBE counter Forcing).

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Yeah still pass forevermore

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Voco, you're up for shredding. Well, not literally shredding. Or figuratively shredding. Or literally or figuratively Shredding.

Nevertheless!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Advance 2, advance 2. Strike a power chord! Zombies end up in Spaces 2, 4, 5

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Advance 2 in response, pull Voco two spaces on hit, then put something down in the space 3.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
You know you have to declare legal moves if you can. Pull 1.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Wol posted:

You know you have to declare legal moves if you can. Pull 1.

I had forgotten where you were. That IS a pull 1, I want her in the corner.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Beat 2
Pendros Schalla
17/20 Life
3/10 Force

Discard 1: Wandering Drive
Discard 2: Tectonic Shot

Voco Astrum
17/20 Life
3/10 Force

Discard 1: Metal Drive
Discard 2: Abyssal Shred

Pendros' environmental markers flip.

Voco antes 2 Force for Stun Guard 2.
Pendros antes another environmental marker. Naturally he has to place it where there's a zombie, so another line it is!
Both players pass after that.

Polymorphed Burst morphs a bit Thunderous and gains +2 Max Range!
Voco's Force gives him Stun Guard 2!
Polymorphed Burst has a Priority of 2 against Thunderous Burst's Priority of 1. Pendros is the active player!

Pendros retreats 1 space from Polymorphed, then another two from Burst.
Voco rocks the zombie shuffle! He leaves one behind as he advances two with Thunderous, and then retreats one with Burst.

No abilities trigger.

Polymorphed Burst has a range of 2-5. Voco is at range 3. Pendros fires! Unfortunately, a couple of zombies absorb the blast: Voco has Soak 2.

No abilities trigger.
Polymorphed Burst has a power of 3. Voco has Soak 2 and takes 1 damage, bringing him to 16. His Force-empowered body holds fast with a Stun Guard of 2.

No abilities trigger.

No abilities trigger.

No abilities trigger.

Thunderous Burst has a range of 3-5. Pendros is at range 3.

No abilities trigger.
Thunderous Burst has a power of 2. Pendros has no Soak and no Stun Guard. He takes the full force of the blast! Pendros is now at 15 life.

Pendros is blown back two spaces by Voco's sick riffs.
No abilities trigger.

No abilities trigger.

Both players gain 1 Force.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 30, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, and if there's anything disagreeing on the interaction with Voco's zombies, Metal Style, and his opponent moving him, let me know. It seems to be a sensible reading, though. Voco gains Soak 1 when he is hit and then the zombie is removed, but this isn't stated to be On Hit (which makes sense as On Hit is always the attacker's trigger) so I'm interpreting it as occurring just as range is done being checked and a hit is confirmed.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Also because I don't think a ruling in favor of Voco is ever a truly unfair one.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I don't know what you're talking about but for the purposes of Soak, it's the zombies next to the attacker that count, not the zombies next to Voco. Also, said zombies are removed whenever Voco soaks, so the zombie in Space 5 is removed.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Wol posted:

I don't know what you're talking about but for the purposes of Soak, it's the zombies next to the attacker that count, not the zombies next to Voco. Also, said zombies are removed whenever Voco soaks, so the zombie in Space 5 is removed.

What she said.

Effects that happen "when hit" happen before "On Hit" effects. No I don't remember where I got that info from. Yes, Level99 needs an editor.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Wol posted:

The zombie in space 5 was removed when he was hit, and then added back when your On Hit effect moved him.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, how I read it is that Voco's soak ability happens as soon as the hit is confirmed. As in range is checked, Voco gains Soak and the zombie is removed, and then On Hit effects trigger.

Reasoning: First of all, you can't order your opponent's triggers in BattleCON. Second, "On HIt" with all the bold trigger text only ever triggers for the fighter who just scored a hit, not someone who was just hit. Thirdly, how does that work with characters who have "On Hit: Move"? An example that comes to mind is Clive's Megaton Style, where if you could stack Voco's soaking with your own On Hit in whatever order you could avoid a zombie soaking up close in one circumstance (because you retreat and then trigger Voco's UA) and then avoid it soaking from afar in another (because you trigger his UA and then retreat) and that's all terrible and just makes Voco even worse.

OmegaGoo posted:

Effects that happen "when hit" happen before "On Hit" effects. No I don't remember where I got that info from. Yes, Level99 needs an editor.

So, this kind of backs up what happens. Voco and a zombie are in space 5, Pendros is in 6. Pendros confirms a hit, the zombie next to him soaks 1, and then Wandering pulls Voco. Upon moving out of the now zombie-free space, Voco's Metal Style drops a new zombie in there, resulting in what appears to be an unchanged board.

Or, in shorter terms:

OmegaGoo posted:

Yes, Level99 needs an editor.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Sefer posted:

The zombie in space 5 was removed when he was hit, and then added back when your On Hit effect moved him.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Because an opponent forcing you to move counts as you moving. Iiiiii get what's going on here.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

Yes, Level99 needs an editor.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Both pairs are in. I have to run to class, so no board update, but at the start of ante Pendros' markers flip.

The one on space 6, right below Pendros is a Geyser, for +6 Priority.
The one on space 3 over in the zombie mosh pit is a Healing Breezse, granting +3 life.

Wol's ante!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Just posting a nice picture version of the board. The pixel versions play so much better on mobile but I really do like the high res chibi tiles.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Tough call but I think I'll ante 2 force to grab me some Stun Guard.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Place an environment marker to the left of Healing Breeze.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Voco has 1 Force left so it's all you for antes, OmegaGoo.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Pass after the environment.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Phone post copying from a prepared text file of links so I might have gotten something wrong. I also don't have the images handy but Polymorphed copies Thunderous's max range boost and Voco has Stun Guard 2.

Pendros has 2 priority to Voco's 1 and is the active player. More full update in the evening.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

So I'm gonna hit you for a whole 1 this beat. On the other hand, you can totally stand on Geyser if you want.

Retreat 1, then retreat 2.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Interesting strategy. SoB advance 2, retreat 1. On Damage push 2.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I swear that made sense assuming you didn't have Stun Guard.

This Force Gauge stuff is really tripping me up.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Actually, sorry, just push 1 - I forgot there was a marker right behind el Breezo.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Beat 3
Pendros Schalla
15/20 Life
4/10 Force

Discard 1: Polymorphed Burst
Discard 2: Wandering Drive

Voco Astrum
16/20 Life
2/10 Force

Discard 1: Thunderous Burst
Discard 2: Metal Drive

Alright, I think I have the board right. Send in your pairs. Pendros, you were active player last beat, so send me your ante with your pair.

Alrighty, fixed. You are now ready to Devastation.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 30, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Wol posted:

Actually, sorry, just push 1 - I forgot there was a marker right behind el Breezo.

Wol had changed how far she pushed me.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

Wol had changed how far she pushed me.

That Wol, what a joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Alright, pairs are in. Pendros has the first ante, and is spending 2 Force to Overcharge his pair for +2 Priority. Voco, you're up.

• Locked thread