Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
What are the chances Christine Elliott tries for the federal CPC leadership? She's got the connection to Flaherty who was pretty popular, while being relatively moderate. On the other hand she already lost the Ontario leadership race, might be hard to garner support after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't want an OP to be unbiased, a quality I'm very suspicious of, I just want it to be fair.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

But I thought Chris Alexander was a smart dude who only sounded like a stupid brat because he had to toe the party line???

He was but apparently he's drank too much of the koolaid or he's trying to maneuver himself into leadership. Either way lol

Melian Dialogue posted:

Violence however, from a public safety standpoint ought to be fairly clear with regards to the mandate of our security apparatuses. The philosophy at the end of the day is to "keep the peace", so it makes sense that security apparatuses tend to view these situations agnostically in terms of violence or disruption. Security apparatuses by their own inherent definitions seek to keep calm and peace, regardless if its morally/ethically right or wrong. If it also serves the best interests of their political bosses, then unfortunately thats what we get for having a government system where departments must follow Ministerial direction, regardless of interpretation.

Part of the problem is that this bill exists within the broader historical context of the Canadian national security state, with its pretty dubious track record. At its best, it has occasionally kept the peace, although in a pretty ineffective and often incompetent way. That doesn't include all groups that have been targeted out of sheer paranoia or enacting a political agenda. Even attempting to avoid presentism, and judge threats within the context of contemporary fears and perceived threats, CSIS and the RCMP have often overstepped any reasonable boundaries. The surveillance they've conducted on tens of thousands of Canadians who had no interest in disturbing the peace at all. The sharing of that information has had sometimes disastrous consequences, and I'm not convinced neither CSIS, nor the RCMP (who really need to finally be cut out of domestic surveillance entirely) have really learned how to handle this sensitive data.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 27, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Brannock posted:

It's insane to me that people are getting their hackles up about 24 Sussex, even if it's only just the pundits. If the White House fell into disrepair it would be regarded as a source of national embarrassment.

It has, on several occasions. People got mad at Truman for spending money to fix the place, and at the time the second floor in the living quarters was about to collapse.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 28, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Melian Dialogue posted:

I don't really have any interest with debating this with you if you're just going to hand wave away my points as "not reading the bill" or that Im simply being an idiot, it doesnt really show me any good faith that you're interested in the points Im making.

Well, in what you've quoted Kafka said "reading in these bills" not "not reading the bill." The difference being he's questioning your interpretation of the legislation, not whether or not you've read the legislation. The latter being dismissive, the former being a pretty standard way to challenge someone else's assertions.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well for certain things, like the promise to bring in 25,000 refugees, should be done sooner rather than later.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
only way to stop the craftbeer marxists from taking over

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Sales taxes are regressive and an economically depressed province will, generally, have less purchasing power overall. Sales taxes only exacerbates that problem.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

QuantaStarFire posted:

But is that the reason Alberta doesn't have a PST? Alberta doesn't strike me as the most progressive place in Canada.

Yeah but it is conservative and they don't like taxes, generally.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

Unions are good, guilds are bad.

People forget that Saskatchewan had to basically hire scab doctors when they first implemented their public healthcare program because the province's doctors refused to work under a socialized healthcare plan.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A better argument than weird homophobia and robotically trying to calculate the education-to-salary ratio of various careers without regard to how competitive they are, or their social value, is that we probably shouldn't be supporting government actions that encourage a race to the bottom.

Plus the way things seem to work in healthcare is that poo poo rolls downhill and the laying off of those nurses is awful, especially since they'll just probably end up contracting some PSWs who are paid less to replace them. That's not a practice we should encourage, ever.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 30, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Suspicious posted:

Amgard is actually a cat.

Same.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

To be clear I agree Canada is a very racist country (and it's grimly funny that Canadians are convinced otherwise) but it's a very 'post-modern' form of racism compared to a generation or two ago.

The statistics surrounding the police and people of colour in Ontario, for example, are shocking. Like the incidence of a police killing a non-white person is astronomically higher than it is in the the worst of the US states.

Of course that's because the police in the US kill way more people than they do in Ontario but still, Canada's relative decentralization means that the nation as a whole has never had to confront its own racist past, since that past is spread over a dozen places, with different patterns of immigration, ethnic enclaves, and urban/rural divides.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Wasn't expecting Garneau for Minister of Transportation. I guess I'll find out soon about how much he likes forty year old airport projects.

OSI bean dip posted:

Surprised Dion is Foreign Affairs and not on the Environment file.

In a way it's encouraging. The greatest foreign policy crisis of our time is climate change. Someone who is going to work with other countries to develop a global response to climate change, be it c02 reduction or a global approach to geoengineering should have at the bare minimum acknowledge that these things are major concerns.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 4, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

Also, Trudeau doesn't have to deal with obstinate jackasses who literally want him to fail in order to get any single loving thing done (mind you, he won't have them to blame if he fucks up, either).

There has been a real debate about whether or not Obama could have enacted better health care legislation while his party controlled Congress. But under our system there's nothing to stop a majority government from doing what it wants beyond public outcry or the senate stalling something for a little while. So it's entirely on Trudeau to get things done.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Welcome to the Conservative Party?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RBC posted:

experience is basically irrelevant unless you have a specific agenda you want to push

looking forward to 8 years of rule by deputy ministers with actual expertise instead of religious clowns from alberta ruling the bureaucracy

Yeah, at best good ministers will take on a couple of pet projects while setting good policy decisions based on the evidence and recommendations by various stakeholders and let the deputy ministers and senior civil service get on with it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm hoping for a 2000% rise in canpol related avatars.

I can never find that Jack Layton comic anymore.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Dan Gardner's column is him just screaming quotes from The Prisoner into the void

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/why-its-not-enough-to-simply-restore-the-long-form-census/

quote:

Why it’s not enough to simply restore the long-form census

Bringing back the long-form census was the easy part. If this government is serious about data, there is a lot more it should do.

Kevin Milligan

The new Trudeau government has restored the long-form census as one of its first moves. Ministers Jean-Yves Duclos and Navdeep Bains made the announcement on Thursday morning in Ottawa, but provided little actual detail. I think restoring the mandatory nature of the census is a good start, but it is not sufficient—more work needs to be done before we have a census that’s ready for the 21st century.

Before addressing the future, it’s worth recalling why the census generated such passion in some quarters. The previous government and its supporters often used the cancellation of the long-form census as the prototypical example of an issue mattering only to people in the ivory towers of academia or other “Laurentian elites.” If you want a thoroughly technical and nerdy academic answer to why the census matters, you can read my article with UBC colleague David Green here, or watch a more accessible video version put together by Tammy Schirle here. But the census really affected many Canadians outside the leafy quadrangles of academia, too.

On Twitter I interacted with an official from the University of Saskatchewan college of nursing who was trying to plan outreach to Aboriginal communities. Statistics Canada suppressed 2011 National Household Survey (NHS) information for almost half of Saskatchewan communities because of low data quality, meaning she couldn’t figure out the education and Aboriginal demographic profiles of the communities she was trying to serve. Helping bring nursing services—and nursing career opportunities—to historically disadvantaged Aboriginal communities does not strike me as an elite thing. The census matters.

But how exactly should we go about repairing the damage? Census questionnaires need to be thoroughly tested, and then they must be printed. You can’t do this in a few months. According to the Huffington Post, for 2016 the government will use the already-tested questionnaire for the planned 2016 National Household Survey and simply make its completion mandatory rather than voluntary. While 33 per cent of Canadians were requested to fill in the 2011 NHS, apparently only 25 per cent will be asked in 2016. Still, if compliance rates go back to 2006 levels, this should yield a larger number of completed surveys. But much more importantly, the sample should be much cleaner because we won’t have the skewed non-completion problems that plagued the 2011 NHS.

This strategy strikes me as sensible battlefield medicine. Time is short, so the government is constrained in what can be achieved in the few short weeks before sending the census forms to the printer. Making the 2016 NHS mandatory solves the largest problem we had with the 2011 NHS. However, I hope this is just the beginning of a new conversation on the census—and data in general—rather than a one-off restoration of past practices.

In the United Kingdom in 2010, the newly elected Conservative government also had some concerns about their census. But, instead of acting impetuously, they put in place a process to rethink how governments ought to be collecting data in the 21st century. The initial report of this process came out in 2014, and a new “Census Transformation Programme” is at work on plans for the 2021 U.K. Census.

What should Canada do next? Well, the main recommendations of that 2014 U.K. report were to make greater use of existing data already being collected for administrative purposes and greater use of Internet-based census forms. Canada was already doing both those things in 2006. I believe there is room for much more innovation.

I gave a guest lecture a year ago to a meeting of data librarians outlining my thoughts on the future of data in the social sciences, the notes from which can be found here. I remarked that we have more and more administrative data, such as tax, Employment Insurance and immigration records, at the same time as surveys (like the census) are becoming harder to conduct. If we move to greater use of administrative data, we need to be sure we properly balance privacy concerns, researcher access, cost, and data accuracy.

Restoring the mandatory basis for the 2016 survey was necessary, but also easy. The true test of the resolve of the new government on data will come in the actions they take as we begin to plan the 2021 census.
-

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Canada doesn't have a more comprehensive welfare state than America because Canadians or their government are inherently more benevolent. We just had a better labour movement that fought for comprehensive government programs rather than concessions from employers, and our labour movement used to have a political arm (the NDP) unlike the American unions who were simply one competing part of the Democratic Party.

Also, Canadian labour wasn't persecuted during the anti-communist sweep of the 1950s like they were in America, for a variety of reasons (some unions made a point of executing public purges of any perceived radicals in order to prove their loyalty to the state), which gave them a bit more leeway in their political actions. Later they pretty effectively used Canadian nationalism to generate public outrage, which in turn encouraged the state to get involved in negotiations with American businesses and prevent job losses in Canada while American industry rusted out (as Steven High argues in Industrial Sunset).

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 9, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Butcher posted:

Apropos of nothing but Helsing you write really well and have a great grasp of the issues.

You'd make a good columnist.

No, that'd make him a terrible columnist.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

To be fair, I think supporting eugenics and forced sterilization is actually a bad thing worthy of criticism. I acknowledge that McClung did many things that were great and important in addition to that, in fact eclipsing that, but that's a fairly dark stain to try and erase.

The birth control movement was closely tied to the eugenics movement in the early 20th century so it's a Complicated issue.

Ming the Merciless posted:

Environmental Engineer here. Human waste is a fantastic fertilizer, especially if it's sludge from a waste plant. The reason nobody uses it is because it gives people the heebie-jeebies and there are small concerns about emerging contaminants.

I always wondered about that. My parents have a deal with the horse stables across the way that makes a difference especially since our land is getting cash cropped into soil depletion. But you'd think human waste would be a good alternative to chemical fertilizer.

Time to crack open the cistern when I go visit and start spraying. :v:

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
To be fair, of the 108,000 conscripts who served in the First World War, 48,000 served overseas and half as many actually made it to the front lines in 1918. Between 87 and 95% of men registered for conscription were given exemptions.

Anyone conscripted during the Second World War in Canada actually made it into combat.

If your attitude is "any conscripts are too many" then yeah, it can be frustrating, but it's worth remembering that conscription nearly tore Canada apart, and was only pulled together by the perceived need for bodies on the Western Front as the war was expected to carry on into 1919. It's still a sore subject for a lot of people.

We have dealt with touchy subjects on Remembrance Day, like, for example, the soldiers who were executed for desertion in WW1 had their names added to the Book of Remembrance.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 11, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

On the subject of "what went wrong"? I think the following article is easily the best analysis of the NDP's defeat. It expresses several points that I've found myself struggling to articulate.

Unfortunately changing strategy in the direction she advocates is almost impossible to imagine under the current leadership...

I don't know, for some reason the article never seems to quite put its finger on what the Left is and what the NDP Left should be. We all have our own views about what leftist politics and policies should be, and those can range from the more libertarian to the more statist, along with the complexities of identity politics. But the article emphasizes a failure to communicate what the NDP ought to stand for when you've pointed out that the party leadership very consciously set out its platform well in advance. Is the NDP a leftist party with poor communication skills, or is it masquerading as one and needs to be changed within. The answer could be both, but I don't feel the article really reaches that conclusion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Golden Man posted:

Is Canada really Going to get weed to be legal...

it's supposed to be one of the first things justin trudeau does, so maybe

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I know someone working for a engineering firm who was hired by a band to inspect their school in order to convince the government that the school building was unsafe for anyone children (filled with mould, sinkholes) so that they could finally demolish the building and build a new one. Since it's a government building the band can't perform repairs or renovations so that was the easiest way to (hopefully) force the government into action.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh hey Toronto airports and activism I know something about th-- aw it's over already.

Montreal had Toronto beat for worse airport connection in North America when Mirabel Airport existed!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The police have apparently stormed the theater, I hope this goes better than when the Russians did something similar.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Generally It's inappropriate to make a political point while people are right now being killed dude.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well, I tried. :shrug:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Gwynne Dyer published a book recently about the issues we're talking about and unlike his last couple of books, this one, by all the reviews so far, seems solid.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Great article. It pulls together a lot of what I think people here have pieced together. The long-form census and StatsCan, Kevin Page's attempts to assess the impact of the budget cuts in various ministries, and the seemingly petty policies that seemed to appeal to the Conservative base and no one else all make more sense in this interpretation. I'm always weary of anyone who says "you can understand someone through THIS document!" but it does help explain show exactly why Harper sought to starve the beast.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't wait until someone from the press finds out that one of JT's liberal party minions is posting private emails from outraged constituents because he thinks they're dumb. Yeah that's really respectful. The deserve to be made fun of because they disagree with my party!

Don't snitch.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

And who's fault is that?

Personally, I blame Laura Secord.

Thomas Jefferson

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

What did he ever do to Canada?

"The acquisition of Canada this year will be a mere matter of marching"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
All true, but if you look at the correspondence and the way people talk about North America, before the War of 1812, British North American colonists didn't consider there to be a border between BNA and the US. The people living south of them were their cousins, and that's after 300 000 loyalists were booted out of the Thirteen Colonies. Afterwards they did. The war had a major impact on creating two distinct political entities in the minds of the people living on either side of the border, and pushed BNA further into the British orbit.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 15, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

That's a very good point and illustrates the weakness of my approach, which emphasized state actions. It's also yet another example of American military adventurism leading to the exact opposite of it's intended effect.

It also started the long, sad trend of broken promises between the British/Canadian governments and First Nations. :(

While state actions might be a little inadequate for explaining the development of BNA/Canadian identity, I do think you make good points with the economic policies of Britain. All of the internal conflicts within Canada, I think, in the 19th century centered around economic issues.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
While I at least understand people's sudden apprehension to wanting to take on Syrian refugees in the wake of the Paris attacks, the idea that withdrawing our bomber support is a huge foreign policy blunder is stupid. Even if you do think that bombing ISIS will help stop them, the idea that Canada's contribution will tip the scales is ridiculous.

I guess this is a matter of looking like we're doing something aggressive against aggression so no one will think we're weak. That Maclean's article does spell out the nuance that's being lost in the heat of the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You guys are getting distracted by a really lovely comparison. ISIS and climate change aren't problems that can be tackled in the same way. Not bombing ISIS doesn't mean we aren't contributing in stopping in other, better ways. Not going to a climate change conference means we're abdicating any responsibility in dealing with an actual existential threat that requires global cooperation. It'd be more apt to say that we shouldn't take part in a massive iron seeding of the oceans project to fight climate change because our contribution to that wouldn't meaningful (and never mind that iron seeding is a loving terrible idea).

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 15, 2015