Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EvilJoven posted:

The next 4 years are most likely going to be terribly unremarkable.

Trudeau's Canada: It's like Anna Nicole Smith's anus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

McGavin posted:

Priority #1 for infrastructure spending: Justin gets a new $10 million house.

I for one am shocked that the NCC chose to let something they run fall into a lovely state of disrepair.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sashimi posted:

Umm, isn't 24 Sussex a good 20 or 30 minute walk away from the Rideau Hall grounds? Not exactly across the street.

It is literally just up the street. You wouldn't need half an hour to make that walk if your ankles were tied together.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

RBC posted:

you're wrong

Still nobody's business how our leaders gently caress. Having a sexuality doesn't make you a mascot.

e: Unless you're a furry I guess. Then your sexuality literally makes you a mascot.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

RBC posted:

no guys really, being a gay politician has nothing to do with politics at all

Not everyone in [disadvantaged group] has championing their group's cause on their minds. It's a strange characteristic in a politician but it's not beyond all comprehension. Sometimes it's nice to be known as "guy who achieved a thing" and not "qualifier descriptive guy who achieved a thing", and being a mascot isn't for everyone.

Acting against your group's interests still makes you a giant hypocrite and kind of a shithead whether you're waving their banner or not.

That's my opinion thanks for listening.

e: Also, being part of a marginalized group doesn't make you forever immune to having rear end in a top hat characteristics like bigotry.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

good god Kafka I'm sorry let's talk about... um....

Ministerial speculation! That's a fun topic. At least until you remember that Bill Blair is in the running for something.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

He was, and it was, but it was still a stupid hill to die on and pointing out the complete insanity of how this non-issue issue took precedence over real threats to the survival of civil liberties in this country would have been an infinitely better tactic. Joining the argument in the way he did was ill advised.

E: there is a person wearing a niqab on this bus right now. Nobody is panicking.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DynamicSloth posted:

Stoffer was a great MP with an insane office, but every one of those ideas seems actively bad and nothing to do with why the NDP lost.

He heard someone say that their party got DP'd and took it entirely the wrong way.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

C-51 solves a problem that doesn't exist, and is doing so in a way that is hastily thrown together by a power-hungry Conservative government.

It should be repealed and a framework not created by the Conservatives should be dreamed up with guys like Michael Geist at the helm.

That's not opinion, that's objectively true fact.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jm20 posted:

The program Harper wanted to significantly expand.

"It produces dead natives AND lowers veterans affairs spending? Fund this."

-A former prime minister of Canada

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Chris Alexander couldn't be any farther off the pulse if his fingers were jammed up a cadaver's rear end. His perceptions of how anything truly is are an unending fountain of sad comedy.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

How much of that is Notley's doing and how much is left over from ridiculous mistakes made by Prentice and the good people of Alberta?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not even the wingnutties of loonies on my facebook feed are repeating that drivel about 24 Sussex.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Whiskey Sours posted:

I think he was the only person in DFAIT dumb enough to want to be ambassador to Afghanistan.

David Sproule was a bright guy who played the part of ambassador well, and Richard Colvin lept into the Charge position with both feet and wasn't at all afraid to go outside the wire to the places that needed seeing so he could say the things that needed saying. Come to think of it, most of the head of mission staff there after Alexander's tenure were pretty switched on. Sproule's AA got more done by ten in the morning than a lot of the public service does in a whole week.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

As It Happens had the best drat one liner I've ever heard from them on this today: "If not the whole airport, at least the control tower."

:vince:

I'm stealing that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

Ghislain Picard, chief of the Assembly of the First Nations of Quebec and Labrador, has given Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard 24 hours to meet aboriginal leaders in the province to discuss allegations of abuse against native women by provincial police officers in Val d’Or. Picard says the town “is in crisis” and no longer has confidence in the country’s police forces.

Well at least the PQ is in agreement that the meeting should happen, so hopefully they regain that confidence before someone does something regrettable.

quote:

The eight accused in the case have been suspended but many of the 56 members of the provincial police in the region say they feel scapegoated after the allegations came to light and say their spouses and children are also being affected. There were reports local officers have been calling in sick in protest after news broke that their colleagues were suspended.

Um, what in several fucks? How can you complain about being unfairly scapegoated while also protesting due process against people accused of assault?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Serious question, at what point does the Sun run so far afoul of basic journalistic standards that someone holds them to account?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

The same time the Toronto Star starts posting articles like this under Opinion instead of News.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/10/22/its-been-a-terrible-decade-under-stephen-harper-porter.html

Oh, okay. Journalism's just like that now. Cool.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

I'd actually argue that it's people that are like that now. Newspapers don't influence readers, readers influence papers. People will buy the paper that reinforces their world view. As people got more polaraized by Harper, so did the papers. They're an outdated medium precariously teetering on the edge of profitability so you kind of expect them to pander to their readers and be a bit biased. :shrug:

That's actually kinda reasonable. In 2015, a piece of paper that describes the stuff that happened yesterday is of limited utility.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Twitter is a great source of news. Like this terrible tidbit:

quote:

Ottawa Citizen Verified account ‏@OttawaCitizen 25m25 minutes ago

Sen. Patrick Brazeau gets discharge on occaine, assault charges. No jail time, no record. http://ow.ly/TXeou #ottnews #cdnpoli

gently caress everything.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jfood posted:

I know it's hard to fathom, but you want it this way. I believe he's a first time offender on a couple of non-indictables so jail-time isn't a particularly great option. We do want justice to be equitable and reasoned, don't we?

Cocaine possession is straight-indictable, isn't it? I honestly don't know, which is shameful but hey I'm out of practice.

CDSA posted:

Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) [by possessing a controlled substance]

(a) subject to paragraph (a.1), if the subject matter of the offence is a substance included in Schedule I or II, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life, and

There is room between "absolute discharge" and "time in jail for shoving your finger in a woman's vagina while trying to kick her down the stairs". Even a conditional discharge would've been better than the nothing he got. One day. A one-dollar fine. A record of some kind that you and I both know will just be pardoned immediately. Instead, the message that we get is that it's not recommended to do what he did, but if you do, nothing will happen to you.

e: That aside, it is not generally in the interests of justice to put sitting senators or parliamentarians in jail, and doing so would normally tend to cost society more than it gains us, so in that sense a jail term would be a totally fanciful thing for anyone to expect.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

The decision will make it clear.

You're right, I'm skipping to the end of the movie and then yelling at the screen because I don't understand what happened.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Who do you think should hold them to account? How?

Nobody's asking for some kind of regulatory agency for the press, calm down. It'd just be nice to hear a real journalist roll his eyes and say "man what a gaggle of shitlords", except that the cover of the sun wouldn't be noticed by this hypothetical journalist unless he owned a pet bird.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

Time for an armed revolution imo. I love how Wynne is just blatantly ignoring the advice of the financial accountability officer she appointed in the position she created to prevent bad decisions like this.

‘It’s going,’ Wynne says of Hydro One sale despite watchdog warning

Last week: Congratulations Justin Trudeau on rescuing us from the leader who ignored qualified advisors and did whatever he wanted
This week: gently caress you I'm doing whatever I want

:downsbravo:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Entropic posted:

Isn't there already a giant pile of cats behind Parliament Hill?

Nope, there's even a sign back there now saying something about how they had to shut it down.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

I was just going to say, "do you?" But yours was better.

Edit: eugh, Harper's drummer was found guilty of sex acts with a 13 year old. Steve really had no idea who he was working with.

Steve also appointed Don Meredith.

We're going to find more than cats in that attic, aren't we?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

They had to beat the poo poo out of you to maintain order because someone else set a car on fire and that's dangerous, or something.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Somebody else posted something bad yesterday so I fully expect I'll get targeted today. It's cool though, it's a justified response because how else will they keep order around here?

I'd welcome this moderating style for comedic purposes except that'd lead to CI having us all on permanent probation until the heat death of the server

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Plowing through the ever-growing pile of case law on sentencing to come up with a punishment that won't be overturned on appeal has to be the worst job.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

The problem wasn't with sentencing, it's that no one had the guts (or cared enough about non-whites, really) to charge them with attempted murder or even investigate them for other incidents that did end up in death.

Find me twelve people in Saskatchewan who'd agree to take two cops off the streets where they're keeping us safe, just because they almost killed an aboriginal person.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gorau posted:

I would love to know where he gets his figures. I'm guessing out of thin air.

The figure exists, but it wasn't used in this context.

quote:

According to a report in the Huffington Post, one option developed by the NCC would transform 24 Sussex into a working residence, similar to the White House, with offices for staff from the prime minister’s office and privy council office. That would cost $150 million, the website reported.

The NCC wouldn’t comment on that report Tuesday. But the commission’s advisory committee on official residences brainstormed ideas for 24 Sussex and other official residences last year, and the idea of a “White House North” wasn’t among them.

And no one approached by the Citizen — including Segal and Derek Burney, both former chiefs of staff to Brian Mulroney — had ever heard of a White House North plan.

A proposal was submitted to turn 24 Sussex into a completely different kind of building, and one of the suggestions from someone during a brainstorming session was to turn it into a Canadian White House. But clearly that means that liberals have run amok.

What a braindead loving hack.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jm20 posted:

If there is no money for teachers/nurses, why should other public sector workers get raises?

Aren't those exactly the sorts of questions arbitrators should be answering?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Would that also count as supporting opera?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Won't someone think of the hockey players making $33m over 6 years :qq:

It's not the players that suffer most, it's the teams. If they have to pay higher wages to get the same talent, that means they're under a lower salary cap than the US teams, making them less competitive. Players won't sign contracts with huge tax burdens, having the same effect.

Without some kind of relief from the league it could mean bad times for Canadian teams.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Who gives a gently caress, they're all millionaires, I'm not going to shed a single tear for those greedy toothless idiots.

Three Canadian hockey teams up and folding would have no impact whatsoever besides the jobs of a few people you're angry at for being young, rich, and good at something.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

YeOldeButchere posted:

Oh. Yeah, that definitely makes it a national issue, then. Maybe there could be a special tax exemption for professional sports teams?

That would be pretty unpopular because not everyone gives a poo poo about sports (unless you're being ironic) and billionaire owners losing their toys isn't exactly a sympathetic story when people don't have doctors or electricity. They'd have to negotiate some kind of quid pro quo with the league.

MLSE, the Canadiens and the Canucks aren't going anywhere.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

...they're not going to fold because they have to pay 4% more income tax, are you for real? I'm not angry at anyone, I just can't understand how you can defend literal multimillionaire athletes in this case.

The athletes don't need defending because they won't suffer; they just won't sign here (if the tax increase would even make the tax rate here higher than in the states, which it may very well not). The teams could suffer.

The salary cap is 71.4 million. If Canadian teams have to raise the salaries they pay by four percent, that's $2.9 million they aren't able to spend (roughly the league average salary for one player). If the league came up with a rule that said Canadian teams had to have one fewer player than American ones, there'd be issues.

E: But taxes are a part of doing business in Canada and if a change that small breaks the bank then maybe don't build your corporate plan on eggshells.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 30, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Senator May, this way please.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sedge and Bee posted:

If that hockey concern trolling was real, I think we should agree to ban sports teams from Canada so that literally the stupidest objection to taxes increasing can't be used anymore.

The "gently caress millionaire athletes" stance is stupid because the tax increase likely won't affect them any more than the tax rates between individual states do (which is to say, basically not at all), so everyone crying for them probably shouldn't be. It could very well hurt the teams who might lose spending power if they have to make up for the taxes over an entire roster, which they probably won't, but it's not a realistic threat to most of them and even if it were that's still not a good reason to seriously reconsider doing it. Hike baby hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It would be trivially easy to dead-cat the conversation around electoral reform and make a great many people vote against their own best interests because of fear or prejudices or ignorance or whatever.

He said he'd do it, he has the mandate, there's no reason for him to gently caress around with a "Mother May I" referendum unless he actually wants the plan to fail.