Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's one of the origins she's had over the years. Easiest one to use for TV by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, she is cute, but will that be enough?

Will it get them off their tractors?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not even the worst on CBS this season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've had feedback on the cousin stuff for months now, so I'd have to think they either use his name, or stop referring to him so much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

They tried to fit too much in I think.

The government organization could have waited an episode. Bring her in because of the axe guy fight or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I watched this back when it leaked and all I really remember from it is the way they kept avoiding the word "Superman", and that terrible scene where they tried to convince us that calling her "Supergirl" instead of "Superwoman" is somehow feminist and if you disagree then maybe you're the real sexist. Other than that though it seemed like it might end up being an OK show.

It's an antagonist saying that. You're not meant to agree with her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

V-Men posted:

It can start out as monster of the week in the same way Flash or CBS's other good show, Person of Interest, did at their respective beginnings as well.

Flash is still monster of the week.

Except the monster is Barry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This show suffers from the fundamental flaw that all super-stories face.

Fly into the sun.

No seriously, if you're having any problems with the villain, just fly into the sun and then beat them up. Problem solved.

She's actually shown to be not nearly as fast as Superman. That would be quite a trip.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know, that guy has a username from a children's cartoon that ended 25 years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Applewhite posted:

People stopped worshipping Aphrodite about 2000 years ago so... You know, maybe people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
No judgments just sayin'.

Wow.

You would male that assumption. Racist.

I'm named after the glacier in Antarctica.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

To :goonsay: the gently caress out over my own precious personal opinion, a women that can lift an M1 Abrams should at least look like she hits the gym every now and again.

She hasn't actually been doing anything like that, though. They said in the episode it was the first time she had used her powers in a long time.

if you look at set photos from later episodes it does look like she's been doing a lot of training anyway. This was only a pilot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman obviously enters the bottle city of Kandor, where he is powerless, 3 times a week to hit the gym.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Golden Age Superman Girl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I know this is totally :spergin: but one thing that annoyed me about the pilot is when the Department of Extra-Normal Operations or whatever shot Kara with kryptonite needles when she was flying, the fall should have killed her, since by all accounts kryptonite makes both her and Superman mortal.

Kryptonite's effect has been different over the years.

In some being in its presence is like being poisoned, but their powers don't disappear.

Or maybe they just caught her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least he said Superman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The constant comparisons don't seem nearly as bad as long as they can use his name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

He plays a lot of anchors (may actually have been one, I forget.)

He worked in news for like 20 years, and now he plays newscasters in TV shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Their plan was to drive around town in the dark and then gangsta lean out the window on the freeway and take pot shots at it with pistols. Not even Scifi pistols, but bog standard 9mm any rent a cop gets.

I get it's a comic book show and supposed to be silly but Jesus.

They didn't necessarily expect it to leap onto the truck, I guess?

Gawain The Blind posted:

This was a pretty good episode. My only real gripe is that the fighting choreography, especially while hovering, is really awkward and goofy looking. But maybe it really would look awkward and goofy, I dunno.

Kara is definitely meant to be awkward and goofy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Her sister just happens to work for the alien police?

They say in the pilot they specifically hired her because they knew about Kara.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was an Entertainment Weekly article a few months back that said it's a padded suit and has a corset built in, and that it totally sucks to wear.

The cape is also attached to a separate under suit, so that the weight of it doesn't mess with the costume.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 5, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would assume it's more of a functional one than a shape changing one.

Those were actually from 2 different interviews I read, the corset might even be what supports the cape.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's done because real costumes don't show muscle like they do in comics. Something tight enough to do that just isn't practical.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

The second episode is a huge improvement but the DEO is so, so, so stupid.

"you need to learn how to fight despite your only weakness being a material only we have access too", it's not like she's the DCtoon U krypton that are weak enough to be stopped by human technology.

That's a common misconception (and one promoted by the comics frequently, even.)

Kryptonians don't have a specific invulnerability power, they're just super tough. Something sufficiently powerful can hurt them just fine.

Very, very few comic characters are actually invulnerable because there's not a lot you can do to threaten a character like that.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 5, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Why did they use a city that isn't in the DC universe, anyway? Is every major DC US city too identifiable to another character?

There's no other Metropolis and clearly they want Metropolis, but not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's into Jimmy, other guy's into her, Jimmy doesn't seem to be in to anyone.

That's a love... line? Um, horseshoe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everytime someone writes a story where that's the case, Superman ends up being a psychopath, or depressed, or a despot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

You realize people keep talking about Superman because the show keeps bringing him up, right? I mean you can barely go for two minutes without one of the characters mentioning Superman, either by name or by phrases like "your cousin". Heck, one of the main characters basically has his entire professional career based on being Superman's friend. So yeah.

I mean the producers clearly want to leverage Superman's ubiquitous popularity to boost ratings, but haven't realized that they are shooting themselves in the foot by continuously opening the huge can of worms of "well then, where is Superman?"

It's funny because the writers could have handled it very elegantly during the first episode by having one of the characters say stuff like, "no one has seen Superman in a while... last he was seen flying off into space" or something along those lines and then never brought him up again. The fanboys could speculate ("he must have gone to fight Darkseid!") but the audience as a whole could focus on Kara and her growth into a superhero role. And it would have also explained how an army of extraterrestrials led by General Astra is able to cause so much havoc without him coming in and pwning them in one punch.

Yeah but when it's only been 2 episodes, and he apparently shows up in the third it looks pretty dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's why you keep saying cousin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think that science checks out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman IMs like my uncle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could probably use their super hearing to have a conversation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I meant to edit my post above but oh well, accidentally made a new one:

Well in a few weeks when we see how Jessica Jones handles psychic conversations (and probably loving NAILS the execution) I'll be in a better position to refute you, but it's not exactly breaking new ground. I have seen talking scenes happen between characters who are in physically different locations, it isn't that hard to imagine how it could work for TV. It mostly revolves around quick bursts of dialogue, lots of overlaid voices, kara at the top of the building shot super wide as she hones in on a voice, then cutting closer and closer as it is isolated, and not aiming a camera at a drawn out text string. This is 30 seconds of spitballing I am sure you could come up with something different but just as good. Holy hell I hated that scene so much. I'm sure it makes the character more relatable but all it said to me was 'We are lazy storytellers and we only had the budget for that one blurry Superman shot.'

Don't take this as criticism of the entire production, I liked the big fight scene. I read in a review it was sort of bad but I thought it was good for a TV budget. I certainly expected her Girl Power her way through the battle and was surprised then He showed up. The 'battle' seemed to only take place over like 10 square feet though, since they were on a road with fields around them(i think?) it would have been nice to spread out a bit more.

The Power of Love, Superman's most under-utilized ability. He uses it only when he needs to beat up Batman.

There are no psychics in Jessica Jones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shock Jock with electrical powers.

Ouch. The puns hurt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I'm sure they commissioned another canceled marriage story to cover their asses. That sounds logical.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't really hint about Lance in Arrow, it just got to a point where he was the worst loving detective in the world for not knowing.

Him saying he didn't want to know was kind of their way of salvaging his intelligence a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

I would love to see Cyborg Superman on that show (or even weirder/better, just them doing their own version of Reign Of the Superman, but with Supergirl)
but name aside, this character has nothing to do with the character--he's not even an astrounaut. I really think it's another Harrison Wells
situation but this time they've given him a known name to throw us off the scent.
The mention of him having lost a family, red eyes, super senses and now superstrength... I'm waiting for the scene where
he flinches away from a flame!

Also all things Hank Henshaw can do.

And Superman himself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We've only seen female Kryptonians use heat vision so far so it might just be a thing they're doing with them, but their eyes actually glow red anyway.

There are no hints that it's Manhunter. Henshaw has all of the powers that have been displayed. This whole thing started because somebody who didn't know Hank Henshaw was an existing character got confused.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Occasionally. Usually when things need to end. now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's one of thing that bugs me about DC is they feel constrained by the cliches of super heroes so much. Secret Identities, one weakness, etc.

Superman has 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah.

And while it's not a weakness, he can be hurt by traditional means by something strong enough.

Or fast enough, technically. They never seem to go that route though.

• Locked thread