Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Naerasa posted:

Another win for the South Carolina pre-crime unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, that sounds incredibly illegal, her rights weren't read to her for starters. Even if she was instructed to come with the cop, why was that needed to begin with? She is just a teenager, suspend kids that are being dipshits. There are a hundred different things you can do to a kid in high school that don't involve using violence.

why would her rights need to be read? she wasn't being interrogated.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

phasmid posted:

To kids who don't want to be in school suspension isn't really a deterrent. Most kids don't want to be in school.

kids are, er, supposed to be in school, so maybe trying to keep them out is actually bad. just imo.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

phasmid posted:

Right, but if they won't do what a teacher or a cop says (even though the latter is dangerous), what to do in recourse? If they had suspended her, I imagine we'd be lamenting how schools leave some kids behind.

who gives a gently caress I promise there are no kids in america struggling to get an education whose primary obstacle is an obnoxious classmate

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

Uh, he handcuffed her? There is a process that has to be followed otherwise it's a violation of your civil rights.

yes and he violated that process because, from what we can see in the video and from the sheriff's statement no crime was occurring and therefore there was no justification for the arrest, but the reading of one's rights has nothing to do with that. she wasn't being interrogated so why are you concerned that she didn't receive a miranda warning?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a bay posted:

I would have used a joint immobilization like a hammer lock or a wrist lock and calmly walked the suspect out of the class room without a bunch of theatrics.

I wouldn't have done anything because as boring as being a cop was sometimes I don't think there was a single day of my time in law enforcement where the best use of my time would have been physically assaulting a child in a classroom, that's my opinion

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing a high school student sitting at a desk could do short of pulling out a gun/weapon (which obv didn't happen) that would justify what that cop did.

"Mouthing off" isn't cause enough to assault a teenager.

it actually would have been justified if he had a good reason to arrest her. according to the sheriff, though, the deputy was arresting her for "disrupting school" or something like that so it doesn't sound like he did.

to be clear what I'm saying is that what he did would have been perfectly appropriate, and in fact a much much better way to handle the situation than grabbing a taser or pepper spray, if the person he was dealing with was an actual suspect of an actual crime. but from what I can see and from what the sheriff has said, she wasn't.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

An officer is required to read you your miranda rights if you are being arrested.

I wasn't aware that was the case in South Carolina. It isn't the case under Federal law, or they would have taught that at FLETC, and it wasn't the case in California, the only American state in which I ever arrested anyone. This must be some peculiarity to SC, although I strongly suspect that it actually isn't true anywhere in the country.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Nah dude come on. Like yeah I'm sure it's 'legal' to do what he did in the process of arresting her but why do police have to get so violent so fast? Even if she was under arrest you're telling me an officer needs to do that to subdue a teenage girl sitting at a desk? Better than a taser or pepper spray? Well yeah but why is any force required to get the cuffs on necessary to begin with assuming the person isn't struggling or trying to fight you?

Like, if I was told I was under arrest (and I have been) I'd say 'aw poo poo' and peacefully let the cuffs go on and whatnot. If I was not even given the chance and just slammed into the ground immediately I'd be pissed off. Girl was sitting at a school desk, no way she was being threatening or anything like that.

e: tbf you should do what police tell you to do, not following lawful orders is just retarded idk why people keep doing it. that said, again: teenage girl.

I'm not reading all of that this wasn't a lawful arrest so I think we're mostly on the same page but from a professional point of view while it was more force than I would have used because I'm personally lazy and don't have a huge hardon for yanking people around she apparently wasn't injured nor does it look like what he did was particularly likely to result in injury so idgaf about the use of force in and of itself so much as I do that the use of force was unlawful.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

How many black people have you murdered?

not enough

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

sarcasm aside, an easier way for cops to stop loving up so much is if they would leave people the gently caress alone unless there's actual risk of someone being hurt.

sarcasm aside I unironically agree with him and whenever the situation allowed I would always lecture people about how hot it was and how I didn't want to have to do stuff please don't make me do stuff

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Machai posted:

he flipped her chair over with her in it. how is that not "likely to result in injury"?

did the chair have spikes in it or something

looked to me like he had positive control over her body the whole time so I'm not seeing how the chair falling over is a danger to her

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

Calling the police officer to the classroom in the first place was the mistake if you didn't want force used, and the second mistake was her deciding to not comply with the officer.

well er I guess that's true but from a law enforcement perspective the biggest mistake was initiating force against a citizen who was not committing any crime

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

phasmid posted:

I doubt he intended to flip her desk over or lose his grip. He did not have control, that's a big part of why this is unsettling.

that's interesting. how did you make that assessment?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

tbh it seems like most police officers are on board with this. It's the fact that the bad ones routinely get protected that pisses most people off.

that's because america has this bottom-up view on law enforcement that is pants-on-head retarded. coincidentally, this is also why america doesn't have a functional education system. maybe in a hundred years or so americans will learn.

here in australia there's no such thing as county or municipal law enforcement. the only thing sheriffs here can do is issue summons and other menial poo poo.

phasmid posted:

By watching him pick her up and throw her away bodily.

e. quote

so you just made it up, gotcha.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

It probably looks worse than it was, yeah. I'm just saying 'more force than necessary' seems to be a common theme lately.

probably because people are more likely to film things that look dramatic than things that do not, though american local police generally do have substandard training and zero accountability and should probably have their unnecessary redundant existence abolished.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

lol TUH you have bad opinions about guns AND about the police? How low can you go?

er, sorry that you think local police departments are good? but they're not, they're pointless and bad. what did I say about guns that upset you?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I'm paging Tezzor. He's gonna kick your butt.

I don't think tezzor is going to want to rush to defend the honour of municipal and county police departments :confused:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

[a kid is being slightly disruptive in class]

*glass shatters*

*Stone Cold Steve Austin theme starts playing*

OH MY GOD, KING, THIS IS A BLOODBATH, WHY AREN'T THE REFS STOPPING THIS FIGHT

[motherfucking undertaker out of nowhere]

BAH GAWD THIS IS A MASSACRE

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Do it ironically posted:

god forbid this person stop disrupting the class and leave so at least some of them could improve their station in life

getting the police to leave public property is really tricky

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I doubt even "please let these kids learn" would work because he'd probably just respond "I dropped out of middle school and I turned out fine :cop:"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Do it ironically posted:

it's convenient that we only see the edited footage that makes the peace officer look bad we dont get to see the before scene

are you suggesting something happened before the camera started rolling to justify the arrest?

because you might want to tell the deputy's sheriff that since he already issued a statement and doesn't seem to think that's the case, I'm sure he'd like to know about it

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Do it ironically posted:

i dont feel bad for this special snowflake who thinks that she is more important than the education of everyone else, unfortunately schools cant just expel problem children anymore because of liberal influences

yeah now black students get arrested as well as expelled drat liberal influences

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
this black girl's cell phone is the reason roughly half of americans have no science education to speak of lmfbo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm actually not even joking gallup found 48% of americans aren't sure whether humans are related to other animals

loving lmbo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Listen my grandpa weren't no MONKEY alright?

but humans, as part of the infraorder Catarrhini, are monkeys by definition, in the same way that whales are mammals are lions are felines :eng101:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Holyshoot posted:

Ya i do not belive this but how else do you get someone who has no respect for authority to do what you're asking besides get physical with them? Just ask nicer?

see the thing is he had no reason to be there at all, let alone any reason to arrest the girl

as I said before, if he actually had cause to arrest her, the way he went about doing so is legally acceptable if ethically questionable, but he didn't. she wasn't committing a crime.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

does this girl already have the n-word all over her twitter & facebook yet?

I'm sure she did already but now it's more likely to be spelled correctly so that's a plus

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Rivethead posted:

DO NOT COMPLY WITH COPS = rear end KICKING. It's not that hard really. Right or wrong the result are the same.

well the result is the same if you stop right there but when the cop is wrong what usually follows is a giant settlement getting paid out by the city/county to prevent the cop from getting in trouble

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pawn posted:

Yes he could of used a taser first. But those cost about 1k per shot or pepper spray. Both of which would have made me laugh more.

I hope someone pepper-sprays you for typing "could of"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

There's even a few states that are trying to make it illegal in of itself to record police officers doing their jobs.

What the hell is that?

Where is that? To my knowledge the only way any states have managed to create penalties for filming police is by attaching them to existing laws preventing surreptitious filming in public areas, which is a perfectly normal thing to prohibit.

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong there's 50 states in America and even people there can't keep up with all of them so I'm just wondering if you can tell me specifically one to look into.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

"better I kill ten innocent people than possibly put myself at risk from anything that scares me even a little", said the uniformed authority figure sworn to serve and protect the public

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

to be fair that's an IDF soldier not a US police officer - just thought I'd break up the anti-america hate with some other stuff

although still to be fair I bet a lot of police officers think like that.

lol that I was ready to believe that a line from a literal genociding stormtrooper was something an american law enforcement officer said

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

police officers are perpetually drunk humans because as you drink utilitarian ideas make more sense

...huh

I'm not sure which part of this is more confusing, the suggestion that american police officers are in any way inclined to utilitarianism or the suggestion that sober thought is necessarily averse to it

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

BigBoss posted:

I wonder how many times he told her to shut up before he (deservedly) kicked her rear end?

not enough to give him the legal authority to touch her (because no amount of times would do this, you see)

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Yeah but there have been something around 30 actual line of duty deaths of police officers (where they were actually killed by someone else while working, and didn't coincidentally die of some other cause while working.) And everyone knows that one police life is easily worth 40 civilian lives so it's almost a 1:1 kill ratio.

have you ever considered that police LOD deaths would skyrocket if not for their diligently regular assaults on innocent people

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Stoic Commie posted:

Is exactly what I'd ask THS, about halfway up said hill

idk wtf you're doing and I don't think anyone else does either and even if we all did I still don't think it would be funny at all

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tony Homo posted:

That kid would have been better off in a Muslim country. She wouldn't have been in school so this would have never happened.

On a serious note, I would hate to be a kid nowadays. Kids don't know poo poo about history or math or spelling. I asked a friends 12th grade kid who was Paul Revere and he had a blank stare on his face like "wtf, who cares?" Plus most kids can't do basic algebra without a calculator never mind speeling correcly.

tbf almost no americans have ever learned anything about paul revere beyond his involvement in american folklore, so if they've just stopped learning about him altogether I don't think that's really a loss. the fact that most have no grasp at all of history or physical science is a lot more troubling as is the alarmingly high rate of functional illiteracy.

I remember when I learned the american education system was broken. year 2000, trying to get through group readings in english class when like a third of the class didn't know how to read. we were in the sixth grade. I don't imagine it's gotten better since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Justin Tyme posted:

Cool now all we need is Tezzor and we can have another great big cry about cops fag-a-thon in gbs

hm, uh, counter-proposal, we keep the lusting for cop death in other threads (I'm going to suggest a chris dorner appreciation station thread but I'm open to other ideas) and instead in this thread focus on the highly illegal acts of this one police officer and his well-deserved though unlikely prosecution

• Locked thread