Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some people misattribute stories to themselves, I think it's slightly different than usual lying from whole cloth. And sometimes it's just easier to say, "my friend" when telling a funny story instead of "a friend of a friend" and further degrees of separation. Neither bothers me particularly.

I did have a friend who would always lie about kind of abuse he endured, which is odd because he was extremely secretive about the actual abuse he was receiving. So why not just reveal the real one? It was a lateral move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wiffle ball bat posted:

whats worse than pathological liars is people who have genuinely amazing lives and cant shut the gently caress up about it. it's like, oh, you went to machu picchu for the weekend, flew back home to kick it with your rockstar pals, and then swam with sharks??? and youre showing me pictures of all of it??? gently caress you

:c00l:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

If you tell a story like that often enough and the actual event becomes distant enough it's not uncommon to accidentally create a false memory such that you genuinely believe your misattributed version happened. Although, unless you also have the sort of personality problems everyone else is talking about you can usually overcome the false memory if forced to think about it in detail or confronted with contradiction.

Yeah, my best friend and I had the same English teacher in middle school, and the teacher called up her parents because she used words "she wasn't smart enough to know" in her homework (implying plagiarism). At one point I thought that happened to me, but my mother remembered correctly who it had been. At that point I was like, "Oh, you're right"--nothing incorrect intended and easily fixed :shrug:

• Locked thread