Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
A good friend of mine would constantly lie about the number of gorgeous girls that would be at a certain place/event where this girl he fancied was going to be, just to convince me to come along. Even after I would call him on it and told him that we both knew it wasn't true, but that I would come along anyway, he still insisted this time it was true.

The most evident one was this time the girl in turn was learning Tango. They had a public class in some bar, we went, turned out she was the only one under 25; hell, everyone else there was about 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

The B_36 posted:

More interesting than pathological liars (they're just messed up in the head due to a birth defect or rough upbringing, kinda feel sorry for them tbh), are the lies and gross exagerations normal people make all the time. My favourite is when someone talks about their experience when they got pulled over by the cops for a speeding ticket. What almost always actually happened is that you were pulled over, were making GBS threads your pants, humbly accepted your ticket, then drove off. ....

I actually got pulled over by a cop for speeding*, he asked if I had a medical emergency, I told him that I was making GBS threads my pants (in other words, of course). He nicely said that that didn't count.

* Edit: I wasn't really speeding, it was just an excuse to get some money out of me, being a corrupt cop. Was a broke student, had little money and they were nice enough to give me change for gas.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

People who don't own up to these kinds of lies are the people who won't accept criticism or take responsibility for mistakes at their jobs. Even though everyone knows it was them, they go "no way man, I did the thing, it was something else that broke it", when it's totally obvious they didn't do the thing. Like ok man you wasted 100 pieces of paper printing something wrong it's ok you don't have to lie about it.

"I swear I sent it, my email service (gmail) surely messed up."

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

ladron posted:

I knew a guy like this who told my own story back to me but with him in place of me. I just sat there speechless unable to call him on his bullshit and then never talked to him again. Later when I saw Go there is a scene like this and I was like, "Holy poo poo, that guy is just like Josh."

He's super fat and a born-again now, so I guess I'm the big winner here.

Something similar happened in an ethics class in college. The professor used a personal story to explain something. Later in the semester one girl in the class, eager to contribute to whatever topic we were discussing, told the same story but with her in his place.

She was very confused at why everyone in the room was silent and looking at her funny.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Without pathological liars we'd have no political class though.

Edit: Also, FOX News would be out of business.

Edit 2: no religion too. There, I think I've managed to offend enough people now.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Hey, seems there's a related honeypot thread up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748581

• Locked thread