Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I've known a few people like this and they always struck me as being incredibly insecure with themselves. I used to call them on their bullshit and without fail they would 1. come up with another lie to cover the first lie and 2. get incredibly mad and start freaking out. With one person I tried to refute each of their lies as they came up with them once, and it was then I learned that the lies never end. You could have a compulsive liar on video doing something they said they didn't, with an audio recording of them saying that they are going to do it, and when you confront them with the evidence they will still deny it, maybe toss in a lie about how they have a cousin that looks just like them and they were visiting that day.

The only thing you can really do with people like that is assume that everything that comes out of their mouth is a lie and treat them accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

FIRST TIME posted:

You can mimic this effect by telling retarded lies and one upping pathological liars. Instant comedy.

i once got to witness 3 pathological liars sitting together with a table one-upping each other.

"My buddy runs a bunch of clubs, so whenever I go out I'm on the VIP list"
"Yeah, that's pretty cool, but I'm friends with this big time record producer, I've hung out with a bunch of famous people and now he wants to do a business deal with me that will be worth millions"
"Oh that's pretty cool I guess, I'm related to a famous musician and we hang out and talk every so often, he heard me play guitar and wanted me to play for him, so if you listen to his music that's me playing the guitar in all his songs. I made millions, but I blew it all on drugs and hookers"

The thing that was great was that they all adhered to the unspoken pathological liar's code, which is to say they never called into question each other's ridiculous lies, so the conversation kept going around the table, and when someone had presumably reached a lie that could not be topped one of the other two would just change the subject and the process would repeat itself.

• Locked thread