Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mak0rz posted:

I come from a backwater no store town so I never saw a best buy until I moved to Halifax in '09

I walked in for the first time and saw ten foot HDMI cables for $599 and immediately turned and left again.

I don't think anyone has ever bought those though. I'm pretty sure I've seen Best Buy employees talk people out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So many people were turned off of TR by that marketing guy creepily describing an attempted rape scene that it turns out wasn't even actually in the game.

The death scenes were kinda shockingly gruesome but the game was easy enough that I died maybe five times so it never really got too bad.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

StashAugustine posted:

also i found it funny that tomb raider has the same basic "rich white kid gets stranded on tropical island and is forced to become a killer to survive the crazy cultists" plot as far cry 3 but lara's growth is treated as a positive thing

also it wasn't lovely

The dude in FC 3 just accidentally landed there while skydiving though. Lara didn't mean to wind up on the island but she was setting out to become an intrepid explorer.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

hubris.height posted:

the only time I can even imagine being bashful about playing mgs v is because of quiet. but that turned out to be funny because my wife went 'holy poo poo' and I had a good laugh

perhaps you should try to not take things so seriously?

For me it wasn't about being embarrassed - whatever, Quiet is juvenile cringey fanservice but that's a thing. MGSV just has some really weird stilted dialogue that makes no sense. It really is like Kojima knows what people look and sound like when they talk about serious stuff but has the vocabulary or understanding of a 12 year old so he just fits in words he thinks work.

Two scenes that stand out to me are when Ocelot makes Quiet shjow off her gunslinging skills and then raves about her depth perception, and when Miller says the new gear is going to revolutionize conflict because of it's turning radius. It's stuff that doesn't matter but sounds vaguely technically correct and it's delivered convincingly as long as you don't listen to it too closely.

\/\/\/ That wouldn't surprise me, it does kind of have the sound of clumsily translated stuff.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 10, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Motto posted:

I
e: Yeah, Kojima's certainly not a brilliant writer in any language, but things like constant repetitions (repetitions!?) in dialogue are telltale signs of a stiff translation.

That or a script written by Aaron Sorkin or Brian Michael Bendis.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Taint Reaper posted:

Blizzard is giving signs that they're ready to throw what remains of the MMO genre into the trash and forget about it forever

I can feel it I can feel Blizzard coming back...coming back into the RTS light.

There's no way they will shut down WoW until the day they announce WoW2 or World of Starcraft.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're not shutting it down but they're just going to ignore it for over a year, drop an expansion and then just let it stagnate.

It's not even close to their big money maker anymore. poo poo like Heroes of the Storm surpassed it last year.

Yeah, and Hearthstone by a country mile. It's still like 50m a year of free money for them though. You're probably right though, just let it ride out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jon Do posted:

e: i am only to right after you get your power armor in fo4 and its p cool but not mindblowing, hope it stays that way or mods save it after 6mo

I actually really like what they did with power armor in 4. Previously it was just another armor, the endgame version, and you have to build for it from step 1 but never saw it for 50+ hours or whatever. Same with energy weapons.

Now, it's a cool but limited thing like a vehicle or mech suit and you use it when you need it and can spare the fuel. And you can hot rod it out with a million conversion options. They took "just like your old armor but better now" and made it a neat fun mechanic that you can enjoy or ignore the whole game as you see fit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Instant Sunrise posted:

i liked pixels better when it was a futurama episode

Or a 10 minute short film not containing Adam Sandler.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mistle posted:

There was even ones involving dragging big boss monsters into towns from across the map.

That's not griefing, Stitches just loves Goldshire.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

hubris.height posted:

what is it about games journalism that turns reasonable points into blathering garbage

is there a containment thread for this poo poo yet

Yeah it's the sharktank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Dying light is 50% off this weekend on steam. worth getting or nah

It's fun, yeah. It suffers a bit if you have open world fatigue. It's like melee-focused parkour zombie Far Cry.

• Locked thread