Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
gently caress the LNP and gently caress the ALP. They conspire to deliver the very worst poo poo imaginable. Enjoy your 15% GST poo poo stains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Oh god the new three word slogan is work, save, invest because we can't treat voters like adults.

Also surely a GST hike would reduce demand somewhat. Not good when we are heading for recession.
You know that you are being sold a pup when one of the 'reasons' we need it is to address bracket creep. Speaking of creeps, here's Scott Morrison saying just that:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/scott-morrison-on-changes-to-the-gst/6904106

quote:

Scott Morrison on raising the GST Monday 2 November 2015 7:42AM (view full episode)

Momentum is building to increase the GST to 15 per cent, with revelations Treasury is drawing up a number of reform options for the Turnbull Government. Senior Liberal figures are urging the Prime Minister to release proposals to lift and/or broaden the tax, including compensation for lower and middle income earners, well ahead of next year's election.

Labor, however, remains flatly opposed to any change.

Federal Treasurer Scott Morrison joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/gst-hike-would-raise-130b-modelling-shows/6903782

quote:

Government would raise $130b if GST was broadened, raised to 15pc, PBO modelling shows AM By political reporter Naomi Woodley Updated about 3 hours ago

The Federal Government would raise $130 billion in 2017-18 if it increased the GST to 15 per cent and dramatically broadened the tax base, according to new figures from the Parliamentary Budget Office (PBO).

Key points:

Adopting a New Zealand-style GST would raise $130 billion in 2017-18
Change would see GST raised to 15pc, tax base broadened
Nationals MP David Gillespie says change could allow for inefficient taxes to be cut
Nationals MP David Gillespie asked the PBO to model a New Zealand-style GST after it was suggested to him by his constituents in northern NSW as a way to help end funding disputes between the Federal Government and states and territories.

"It's not part of a coordinated program, I just got off my butt and did this myself, because I want my people in the Lyne electorate to get their voices heard in Canberra," Dr Gillespie told the ABC's AM program. "We should discuss a lot of these issues upfront and centre with the electorate and tell them the options, and tell them what the problems are." The current 10 per cent GST has a range of exemptions, including basic food, health and education services, but in New Zealand, it covers a much larger share of consumption. "They seem to be going from strength to strength in their economy*," Dr Gillespie said. "They have it at 15 per cent, we have it at 10 per cent."

Inefficient taxes abolished in return for GST hike: Gillespie

Dr Gillespie said the PBO calculated that changing the GST to a New Zealand-style model would generate $65.6 billion in additional revenue in the 2017-18 financial year, bringing the total revenue to more than $130 billion. He said that, in turn, could pay for a range of benefits requested by his community. I'm not advocating just a tax grab. We've got to put our income taxes down, our small business taxes down, we have to fund roads and infrastructure in the regions more," Dr Gillespie told AM.

People put their lives and souls into small businesses and to be paying payroll tax and high company tax defeats the purposes of all their efforts. David Gillespie "In my part of the world, I have an awful lot of pensioners and people on low fixed incomes and there will be a [consumer price index] increase with this, so we need to compensate them, and increase the base rate of their pension." If the Government adopted Dr Gillespie's plan, it would represent a radical restructure of the way the Commonwealth interacts with the states and territories. Dr Gillespie said in return for the increased revenue from the GST, funding agreements between the Commonwealth and the states and territories worth about $50 billion could be abolished, and inefficient state taxes should also be cut. His suggestions include reducing personal income tax, abolishing state payroll tax and cutting the small business tax to 25 per cent.

Tough decision for Bill Shorten

A popular Prime Minister leading a party praised for its economic management wants to have a national conversation about expanding the GST. This leaves the Opposition Leader in an invidious position, writes Paula Matthewson. "We do have big challenges in our federation, but everyone wants the incentive to work harder and not be taxed, so bracket creep is an issue," he said. "People put their lives and souls into small businesses and to be paying payroll tax and high company tax** defeats the purposes of all their efforts." The Federal Treasury has already modelled a series of changes to Commonwealth taxes like the GST, and is now doing similar work on state taxes as part of the Government's policy development through the federal and tax white papers. In a statement, Treasurer Scott Morrison said they were looking for "the best mix of options that are going to encourage jobs growth and economic growth". Dr Gillespie said state and territory leaders should be attracted to his plan because it would give them a "reliable funding stream".

Speaking from Papua New Guinea during his tour of the Pacific, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said he was prepared to fight the Government if it moved to increase the GST. "I don't believe reform in this country should have to be paid for by people paying extra in their GST, I think there are other ways of making this nation function better," Mr Shorten said.

Well gently caress me, assault that with half a wet noodle Mr Shartenfreuden.

* Is the NZ economy really one we should be copying? http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2014/04/17/12-reasons-why-new-zealands-economic-bubble-will-end-in-disaster/

That's bond yield.

From http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/research_and_publications/speeches/2015/6012526.html

This whole remove inefficient taxes by applying another inefficient regressive tax song is one I've heard before and yet the inefficient taxes remain.

** from http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/Paper.aspx?doc=html/publications/papers/report/section_5-07.htm Note where exemplar NZ is on that graph (hint it's got a higher corporate tax rate). You have to go to truly bizarre metrics like corporate tax revenue as a proportion of GDP before Australia gets anything like to the right of the distribution and even then NZ is further to the right (of the graph).

None the less. The new Australian Nazi party will romp in the next election even as they push a huge increase on GST down the throats of a credulous public.

:toot:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nibbles! posted:

I think that was the Mike Baird argument: "it's not regressive if you're compensating lower income earners". Which of course begs the question if you want to spare lower income earners why not just exclude them by taxing elsewhere, and avoid the inflated admin costs that go along with compensating, to begin with.

We know super is a tax haven atm, negative gearing is ballooning every year and the effective tax rate on the highest incomes is effectively 26% or 27%. Then there's multinational tax avoidance.
Well if you were having an immature tax debate those things might come up but furthermore ~farts~

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hmmmm,

*Strokes neckbeard*

Nothing on Bike Helmets whelp...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

Media Watch having a go at the woman who claimed Prime Ministers were in a secret paedophile ring. It was treated with surprising credence given the situation in the UK.

Media Watch unearthed articles she had previously written that the ring was run by the CIA who received satanic training by Nazi war criminals allowed into Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4343957.htm

quote:

“The matter was thoroughly investigated by ACT Policing’s Operation Attest and there was no evidence to substantiate the complainant’s allegations,” ...
It is actually in aggregate that the evidence that this is a mentally disturbed individual is more apparent but it doesn't mean that her claims shouldn't be investigated (as they have been multiple times). Definitely a example of sensationalist reporting.

I would rather people defaulted to 'cautiously accept pending evaluation' than 'immediately dismiss'.

-/-

So you think you have the answers?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/nsw-govt-announces-$47-mil-counter-terrorism/6907214

quote:

NSW Govt announces $47mil counter-terrorism package for 'at risk' schools Tuesday 3 November 2015 6:50AM (view full episode)

When radicalised Sydney schoolboy Farhad Jabar fatally shot a police employee in Sydney's west, the authorities' attention turned to schools in New South Wales. Now, a month later, the State Government has unveiled a new counter-terrorism strategy aimed at recognising and preventing extremism in the classroom. As part of a new $47 million package, five expert teams made up of psychologists and former principals will be sent to schools identified as being at risk. The program will begin in 2016 and will also include training for existing counselling and teaching staff.

New South Wales Minister for Education, Adrian Piccoli joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.
There you go, an accelerate radicalisation package being rolled out in the one venue guaranteed to botch it. Remember my concerns about the issue highlighting poor school performance and in particular the failure of the chaplaincy program? Well phooey to fixing any of that too hard stuff lets massively over react with some high profile concern funding.

To put this in some kind of perspective:

Persons dying as a result of 'radicalisation' 1788 to present : 2
Persons commiting suicide 2013: 2522 [Source - ABS and http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media/reporting-suicide/facts-and-stats]

Funding for deradicalisation NSW 2015-2016 : $47 million
Funding for suicide prevention National 2010-2011 : $33.1 million [Source - http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/mental-pubs-c-toll-toc~mental-pubs-c-toll-str~mental-pubs-c-toll-str-1]

In fact health minister Lay talked in placating tones on World suicide Prevention Day 10/9/2015. Suicide prevention used the opportunity to point out that prevention funding required a kick start of $12 Million.
http://suicidepreventionaust.org/wp...search-fund.pdf
Apparently suicide costs the economy over 17 billion dollars. Should be a no brainer. Oh wait the people with no brains have spent all the money on school chaplins and deradicalisation programs.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

GoldStandardConure posted:

Did we contract the meals out to Sweeney Todd?
Transfield were contacted for coment but were soylent on the issue.

e;fb but I thought of it before I read etc. Also why are we letting a few human teeth distract us from the real issues of ..

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Who even watches the Po Po?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/justice-minister-michael-keenan-on-australia%27s/6914038

quote:

Justice Minister Michael Keenan on Australia's 'national intelligence super agency' Thursday 5 November 2015 8:06AM (view full episode)

The Federal Government is stepping up its counter terrorism efforts, announcing a new 24-hour 'national intelligence super agency' to better track potential terrorists. It comes amid reports the banks have become the new frontline in the financing of terrorism, which has tripled in the past financial year. The Turnbull Government will today host a meeting of state and federal attorney generals, to discuss counter terrorism efforts.

Justice Minister Michael Keenan joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

And despite all those extra powers and money they remain essentially 100% ineffective against a threat so small they have trouble finding it.

Those wacky funsters at the TOTALLY INDEPENDENT Productivity Commission have been busy. In a stunning development they lay the background for a move to a GST based taxation system:

http://www.pc.gov.au/research/completed/tax-and-transfer-incidence

quote:

The purpose of this paper is to shed light on how Australia’s tax and transfer system
functions to distribute income across the population and over lifetimes. This work is not
intended as an evaluation of current policies. Rather, it presents a descriptive analysis of
tax and transfer incidence to inform public debate about the distributive impacts of the tax
and transfer system in the lead up to the development of the Australian Government’s Tax
Options and White Papers.

Like so much the PC do it is actually a goldmine of relevant information. Unfortunately it is also the source of a bunch of grabs that will be recycled ad nauseum by the LNP regarding the relative rate of GST to other OECD countries (etc.). The fact that they include the transfer part of the taxation revenue equation should be a net positive (in the overall worth of the analysis) but it remains a 140 page wasted opportunity. The National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling upstaged them without busting a sweat and for all the pissing and moaning about small business riddle me this:

If I am a small business with a tiny tax liability (due to low income) what is the proposed mechanism for GST compensation? There isn't one currently and I haven't heard of one being proposed.

http://www.budget.gov.au/2015-16/content/glossy/sml_bus/html/sml_bus-06.htm

Even here the numbers ~sound~ impressive but those "780 000" small business are only about half of the small business in Australia. The other half get NOTHING - [Source - http://www.treasury.gov.au/ "Australian small business KEY STATISTICS"]

Get your GST and shove it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Peccadillo posted:

Six thousand bastardly loving pages
Thanks for precising them for us then. My hot tip is :itwaspoo:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Today in another exciting instalment of Ha Ha exactly how hosed are we?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/business-council-of-australia-urges-pm-to/6918092

quote:

Business Council of Australia urges PM to ensure tax reform package includes cuts to company tax rate Friday 6 November 2015 8:07AM (view full episode)

As the GST debate rages on, the Business Council of Australia (BCA) has urged the Turnbull Government to ensure any tax reform package includes cuts to the company tax rate. The BCA President Catherine Livingstone told a business dinner last night attended by the Prime Minister that nothing would stimulate innovation and economic growth more than 'a reduction in the tax rate for all businesses'. The peak business lobby group backs a lift to the GST, and a broadening of its base, but says any changes have to be part of a broader tax reform agenda that includes tax cuts for business, and for individuals to offset bracket creep.

Chief Executive of the Business Council of Australia, Jennifer Westacott joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

Yes that's right another muppet who thinks that the only possible way to address bracket creep is to enlarge the GST. And obviously business tax rates need to be cut because ~*fart*~

OK maybe Jennifer didn't explain it very well let's have Oberleutnant Morrison give it a go:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4346302.htm

quote:

(extract)SCOTT MORRISON: Well I think that's a fair comment. It is a fair comment. And the Prime Minister today I think was saying, "Well this is how you gauge your relationship with the Australian people on these things and they will give you the honest feedback about where they think things are." I mean, issues of compensation, for example, but I think that's why it's important to bring facts into the debate. I mean, on compensation matters, when the GST was introduced back in 2001, we have had a compensation package back then and it worked. And equally, although we didn't support the carbon tax and we gave the ultimate compensation by getting rid it of it, the previous government had compensation packages for the carbon tax. So, you can put in place measures and mechanisms on whatever set of options you might like at which do protect the most vulnerable.
Alright I'll bite. What is the mechanism in place to compensate me for the 10% GST I pay today?

What? There isn't one? It was all pissed up the wall by bracket creep and a failure to maintain the proper rates of pensions and :siren:entitlements:siren: Well gently caress yeah sign me up for some more so we can :psyduck: 'address bracket creep'. Why don't we address you, you loving creep. gently caress off you utter slime bag.

quote:

(extract)SCOTT MORRISON: Because - the question assumes that by changing the tax mix, you can't grow the overall economy and grow the revenue base and so I don't share that assumption. Our tax system is actually holding our economy back and we can grow our revenue. Now our revenue is, as we discussed last time, is due and projected to grow over the next few years and will return to above the long-run average and that will be enhanced by a growing economy. But the way you grow your revenue is not by taxing people more, but by having a tax system that encourages growth and I think has the right combination of taxes. And let's not forget the almost $85 billion in taxes and charges levied at a state and territory level. What's on the table is just not the Commonwealth taxes, but all taxes and that's why this is a process we're working with in partnership with the states and territories. The only people that I'm aware of that have publicly advocated an increase in the GST are state governments and former Labor premiers.
Now if you can get past the obvious lie involved in 'The only people that I'm aware of that have publicly advocated an increase in the GST are state governments and former Labor premiers.' Really Slime Bag Creep Morrison? That trick of sticking your fingers in your ears and going LALALALALALALALA that you learnt at Border Farce is really paying off now. Anyway I digress. The major point here is that our treasurer believes that by increasing the GST and adding to transfer churn he will grow the economy. That's right reducing everybody's purchasing power on everything will grow our economy. Well it would be positively criminal NOT TO HAVE A 20% GST then. Give me a loving break. Now I do realise that he was alluding to using the increased GST to restructure other forms of taxation to improve efficiencies in the revenue stream but that argument was: used last time, and ignores the whole transfer churn issue. Well until you stop all compensations either by neglecting to raise benefits in line with CPI or bracket creep which then primes you for the next round of GST increases :toot: It's the loving circle of life fuckers!

Anyone else been fascinated by the theatre of terror that Pig Fucker Cameron has been playing out over the Sinai russian aircraft crash? I know it's not strictly AusPol but there are some object lessons to be had.

Lesson the first. Was the aircraft downed by an explosive and therefore a terrorism event? Simple (correct) answer NOBODY KNOWS. It is too early to tell. Now someone must have done a preliminary bomb residue swab AND the damage from explosion is usually quite different to the damage from decompression so someone on the investigative team must have a pretty good idea by now however the most recent announcements are:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...atest-news.html

quote:

Russian plane crash: British spies uncovered Isil bomb plot

The Telegraph has learnt that an Isil bomb plot was uncovered by British spies, as Obama says a bomb "certainly possible" - yet Russia and Egypt insist it is too early to say

Speculation. To quote Obama in full

quote:

We are taking very seriously the possibility that there was a bomb on board. We're going to spend a lot of time just making sure our own investigators and own intelligence community find out what's going on before we make any definitive pronouncements. But it's certainly possible that there was a bomb on board.

It is actually eminently as 'possible' that it was a rear pressure head decompression due to a poorly repaired tail strike. The accident aircraft was also close to the end of its scheduled service life in total hours flown.

I must also gasp at the indiscretion of British spies if they are informing the Telegraph of ISIL plots.

quote:

British spies uncovered Isil bomb plot
The Egyptian security shutdown was sparked after British spies intercepted messages which showed Isil extremists had plotted a major terror attack in the region, the Telegraph can disclose.
The communications and “chatter” - uncovered by British intelligence only after the Russian passenger jet tragedy - are what led David Cameron to say it was “more likely than not” that a bomb brought the plane down on Saturday killing 224 people.

The intelligence resulted in Britain suspending all flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh, leaving 20,000 British tourists stranded at the holiday resort. Flights will resume on Friday with 20 aircraft carrying about 4,000 people back to Britain. But passengers were warned they would not be allowed to take luggage in the hold. The move suggests officials fear a bomb was smuggled into the hold of flight 7K9268 in the checked luggage. It came as it emerged Britain raised concerns around baggage handling at Sharm el-Sheikh airport ten months ago.
Speculation based on chatter with a 'real' action taken in screwing around some british holiday makers...

This is all naked exploitation of the tragic deaths of some Russian holiday makers for another round of terrorism theatre.

Lesson the second. When do you believe what a British PM says about intelligence matters? Answer N E V E R. I could go into the detail but remember the 'sexed' up dossier on Suddam?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birdstrike posted:

I don't know, Cartoon isn't that old is he?
With cyborg implants I will be around to post bad for millenium.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
* Looks at calander *

Hmm the sixth yep that's about right. Pointless argument in bad faith about, check one only:

[_] Bike Helmets
[X] Nuclear power
[_] Bottled water (Hmmm haven't had that one for a while)
[_] Christmas Decorations
[_] Gun Control

Moving on. New posters touching the poop possibly out of ignorance of it in fact being poop.

Check.

Well it was a barely adequate thread while it lasted :dawkins101:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

thatfatkid posted:

You are so very smug, please stop trying to dictate what discussions are suitable for these threads.

Also bike helmets are unironically the nanny state run amok, nuclear power is cool and good but so are renewables, bottled water is capitalism at its worst, christmas decorations ??? and gun control is kinda good i guess?
Like anyone listens to me. Or you for that matter.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

dr_rat posted:

Just going to leave this and the inevitable alp loss of the next election right here:

So looks like shortens not provably criminal corrupt... thats er something I guess.

AWU looks like it might be a bit hosed though.
:tinfoil: I don't want to get all DaVinci Code on you all here but I find it deeply suspicious that the nakedly political process to damage Blap Shohorn is utterly and irrevocably finished with him just when his removal from public office would be the worst possible outcome for the LNP. :tinfoil:

Now to return briefly to my supposed desire to stifle free speech in Aus Pol. Nope. Talk about what ever you want whenever you want. Just try to use a little restraint and keep the signal to noise ratio down. I'm sure some of it has to do with the unrelentingly horrible nature of our current political situation but we have lost a bunch of really good content posters because being trolled is really hard to resist apparently. I could write a list of posters who have never argued in good faith, delight in poking hot buttons and specialise in hastily confected strawmen but if I can identify them you can too. I absolutely do not buy the 'but it educates the lurkers' position. If you have some material that supports the education of lurkers on the very subject that the troll is baiting you, go nuts! Just don't engage in a pointless argument with someone who is deliberately pulling your chain. You can post your educational stuff without any reference to the troll and even persistent ones eventually give up if they aren't having their pleasure centers tickled by people with less self control than Craig Thompson in a strip joint.

Speaking of:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-14/cost-of-offshore-processing-united-nations-fact-check/6609764

quote:

The claim: Daniel Webb, director of the Human Rights Law Centre, says Australia is currently spending "more than five times the United Nations refugee agency's entire budget for all of South East Asia" on offshore processing of asylum seekers.

The verdict: Although difficult to pinpoint a final figure, current spending for the 2014-15 financial year based on Senate estimates is comfortably over $1 billion, while the UN's budget for the South East Asia region is $US157 million in 2015. Mr Webb's claim checks out.

So any claim that our policy is directed out of humanitarian concerns is pretty interesting. Not apples and oranges reads the T-Shirt on the hastily repositioned straw man! Well maybe if we tried it we'd know. Till then we don't. Stopping the boats actually means preventing mainland arrivals and suppressing the flow of information about boat movements. It hasn't been preventing deaths we just don't count them any more.

http://www.policyforum.net/the-high-price-of-australias-refugee-policy/

But your straw mandible ticks "What price a human life?".

I could continue to relink the http://www.asrc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MythBusterJuly2013FINAL.pdf but as I never see one of the trolls address the case it presents I guess I'm only doing it for the genuine lurkers.

I was involved in attempting to get an Iraqi man a visa to enter Australia. It was a true homeric odysessy. They were asked to present themselves at the Jordanian Australian Consulate to submit documents, a round journey of over two thousand miles at a time when getting a visa to enter Jordan from Iraq was impossible. After nearly a year and thousands of dollars paid to the Department of Immigration they were still waiting and being given this level of run around. That's with help from outside Iraq and the ability to access funds in Australia.

And to finish I'll just again point out that as one of the wealthiest nations on earth it is utterly disingenuous to call any refugee an economic migrant. They'd have to come from Norway to be anything else on those definitions and the definition of migrant and refugee differ fundamentally in any case.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The second one. The prosecutors (council assisting the commissioner) declined to say bad stuff about him explicitly stating he had not been involved in any criminal activity, although others had. That's why I find the timing suspicious. Getting Breeb Snidlick charged with even something minor may have forced the Lesser NeoCons to ditch him as leader, something Turdball definitely does not want (Although who are we fooling. Turdball is going to romp it in on a parade float with a full range +5% GST regardless).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
More like Henry Egregious.

egregious
ɪˈɡriːdʒəs/
adjective
outstandingly bad; shocking.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

What's with the captions on the photos of Turnbull, did the editor have a stroke or something?
I'm pretty sure they were stroking it yes.

What I still can't understand is how this utterly discredited line of economic theory is being successfully prosecuted in Australia. The Lolberterian flat tax wet dream was tried in the US with near post apocalyptic outcomes. Trickledown and Thatcherism are known debacles that the rest of the world are still recovering from. WTF Australia?

The psychopaths in charge may rue the day they sent the Kiwi detainees off to torture camp on their way back to the land of the long white plume. Now we have a bunch of people who have had unfettered access to the internal workings of our detention facilities and are under no compulsion what-so-ever to keep their mouths shut. It's actually quite an impressive own goal.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/guards-abandon-christmas-island-detention-centre/6922866

Unfortunate timing given the industrial dispute running at the moment too.

Got compassion fatigue? The brutal Turdball government certainly hope so.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/childcare-industry-fears-families-worse-off-under-funding-change/6922722

quote:

Childcare industry fears families worse off under Government changes By political reporter Julie Doyle Posted about 10 hours ago

Childcare providers are warning the most disadvantaged children could drop out of early education because of the Federal Government's planned funding changes. Industry and parents groups are stepping up pressure on the Government to make changes to the package that was unveiled in May. They are worried about a tougher activity test parents will have to meet before they qualify for subsidised child care.

Key points:

Industry representatives say low-income families will be worse off under new child care package
Parental 'activity test' under spotlight with concerns it could lead to some children leaving early education
Education Minister says changes designed to ensure extra funding 'met needs of those most reliant on child care'
Early Learning Association of Australia chief executive Shane Lucas said the Government was taking the wrong approach.

"We certainly think there could be many thousands of families that will be worse off under this package," Mr Lucas said. "And we're very concerned about the notion of children being impacted because of effectively the actions or inactions of their parents. I think one of our concerns all along with the Government's approach to this issue is that it sees early learning and care as fundamentally a workforce participation issue for parents as opposed to how we see it as a great benefit for children."

The overhaul of the childcare sector includes a tougher activity test or higher standard parents have to meet to qualify for Government-subsidised care. Parents have to be working, studying, training or volunteering for a minimum of eight hours a fortnight to qualify for any child care. Lin Hatfield Dodds from UnitingCare Australia said she was concerned about the change. "It seems to us to be an overly bureaucratic measure that's not going to work in the best interest of children," Ms Hatfield Dodds said. "The test actually takes the focus away from the importance of quality services for children and instead it concentrates on how they'll be qualified or disqualified from care depending on their parents' or guardians' circumstances. "We would rather have an activity test focused on the needs of the child."

Changes to affect low-income families

The package also includes changes for low-income families — those earning less than $65,000 a year. As it stands these families can receive 24 hours a week of subsidised child care without meeting any activity test, but the Government wants to halve that to 12 hours a week.

Child care changes explained

New 'activity test' means parents have to be working, studying, training or volunteering for a minimum of eight hours a fortnight to qualify for any child care
Low-income families — those earning less than $65,000 a year — can receive 12 hours per week (down from 24 hours per week) of subsidised child care without meeting the activity test
Legislation to be introduced to Parliament this year with new arrangement to apply from July 2017
Samantha Page from Early Childhood Australia said that was not enough and she was worried children would leave the system.

"That's one of the concerns across the sector that families might drop out, that families with children who would most benefit might drop out," Ms Page said. "For higher-income families that might choose to use in-home care arrangements like nannies — that's their choice, that's their right to choose, we're not trying to keep those kids in the system. The children we're trying to keep in the system are the vulnerable and disadvantaged children who really benefit from access to quality programs. What we'd like is for the Government to guarantee children access to at least two days a week to a quality program regardless of parental activity. And then for access above two days a week to be subject to the activity test. So we agree in-principle with an activity test but we think children should get at least two days a week before that activity test is applied."

Activity test under the spotlight

As part of this process the Federal Government called for submissions on the impact of the proposals. Most submissions identified concerns about the activity test because of the potential impact on children, including the New South Wales Government. Its submission recommended the Federal Government review the activity test and the cut to minimum hours for low-income families. It said the activity test "may impact on national efforts to ensure universal access to quality early childhood education" as some families who did not satisfy the activity test may choose to opt out of formal early childhood education. The submission also said "reducing the minimum hours of subsidised care for vulnerable and disadvantaged children is inconsistent with universal access commitments".

Education Minister Simon Birmingham now has responsibility for child care as well.

Senator Birmingham said the changes were designed to ensure that extra funding met the needs of those most reliant on child care to juggle work and family life. "For many, many Australian families child care is their ability to be able to balance work and family obligations and we're gearing the system to be able to give the greatest support to the families who need it most so that child care does not become the impediment or is not in future the impediment to people going back into the workforce or working more hours to support their family," he said. People in the sector need to recognise and, if need be, adjust their business models to support those families who are looking to provide for their children for six hours a day or four hours a day over three days. Senator Birmingham said the Government was committed to providing early learning opportunities for all children before they started school. "That's why we're investing more than $800 million exclusively in pre-school activities for four-year-old children across the country to guarantee 15 hours of access to pre-school environment," he said.

He rejected the argument that 12 hours a week of subsidised care for low-income families amounted to only one day a week. "Well when people send their children to school — if they're there between the hours of 9am and 3pm — that's six hours a day," Senator Birmingham said. "So the idea that supporting children for 12 hours a week is less than or only equivalent to one day a week is quite ridiculous. And so people in the sector need to recognise and, if need be, adjust their business models to support those families who are looking to provide for their children for six hours a day or four hours a day over three days."

The Government plans to introduce the childcare legislation to Parliament before the end of the year and wants the new arrangements to apply from July, 2017.

And as they entered the toilet they saw a politely worded sign that said -

DON'T TOUCH THE POOP PLEASE

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cartoon posted:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Plenty of people will argue into their graves disagreeing with this.
Plenty of people believe in UFOs and faeries too. :shrug:

http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/04/how-the-legacy-of-thatcher-and-reagan-made-the-2008-financial-crisis-inevitable/

quote:

The policies of de-regulation imposed by Thatcher and Reagan led to an era of wrong-doing and institutional banking and financial institutional fraud from which it will take many years for us to recover. Yet even now, there is not a politician who has the gumption or will to face down the financial sector, and impose a regime of control which will work. No-one has gone to jail for any of these frauds or white-collar crimes, truly the fat cats my believe that they are a protected species.

And to those of you who thought it was somehow a good idea today.

Cartoon posted:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Thanks for posting this.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/australia%27s-asylum-seeker-policies-under/6926128

quote:

Australia's asylum seeker policies under international scrutiny at UN Human Rights Council review Tuesday 10 November 2015 6:19AM (view full episode)

Australia's human rights record has come under high scrutiny by the United Nations, just 24 hours after a Christmas Island Detention Centre riot, which followed the death of an Iranian refugee. Overnight, the UN has been examining Australia's human rights record as part of the four-yearly review undertaken in Geneva. Australia has come under fire for its offshore processing of asylum claims, turning back boats, and holding children in detention. Also raised were concerns about sterilisations of disabled people, and discrimination against Indigenous people.

Benedict Coyne, from the national committee of the Australian Lawyers for Human Rights, joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast from UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.

More here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-10/australias-asylum-policies-heavily-criticised-at-united-nations/6926032

Basically for three hours over one hundred different speakers each from a different country lambasted Australia for being utter poo poo piles. Noted humanitarian and indigenous activist Phil Ruddock was among the Australian delegation that got to respond to these concerns. He left it to official Steve McGlynn to offer up the boiler plate about saving deaths at sea.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...4b0553aed96d684

quote:

Here is a bit more detail from Peter Dutton about the detainees on Christmas Island.

Many of the people on Christmas Island in the detention centre there, bikies, people that have been committed or convicted of manslaughter, of serious grievous bodily harm charges, sexual assault against children, and we’re not going to tolerate destruction of commonwealth property and those people that have undertaken that sort of behaviour will face the full force of the law.

If I were Peter Dutton (and I gleefully revel in the fact every morning when I awake to find I remain not Peter Dutton) I would be checking out the underside of any bus as and when the opportunity presents itself. Not even the notorious recent case of Joe Hockey offers such strong auguries of being groomed for a short dark trip. Maybe he already has the cheque in his back pocket along with the face saving resignation letter. I am reminded of the scene in Black Adder Goes Forth were General Melchett explains to Lieutenant George about the demise of his pet rabbit Flossie.

Dutton: So you see it is all due to the senseless acts of hardened criminals!
Lieutenant George: That you sent there.
Dutton: Well yes but they were only sent there because we are getting rid of them once and for all because they are hardened criminals!
Lieutenant George: Who got that way by being locked up in Australian Prisons.
Dutton: Well yes but they were only there because they were inherently evil and unsuitable people.
Lieutenant George: Quite unlike the other immigration detainees then.
Dutton: Well yes, err, no, err GUARDS!

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/17/new-zealand-mp-says-deportations-make-a-mockery-of-anzac-relationship

Just how true is the allegation of 'hardened offenders' made so dogmatically by Dutton? Well anybody who actually knows isn't saying. The NZ government seem to think that there are people who have only committed minor offences currently in detention on Christmas island.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/17/new-zealand-mp-says-deportations-make-a-mockery-of-anzac-relationship

quote:

He said New Zealanders who served short jail sentences for petty crimes and those who have been charged with a crime but given suspended sentences, make up the bulk of those awaiting deportation. “They’re people you’d have a beer with in the pub,” he said. “They’re not the murderers and rapists [they’re made out to be].” The Australian and New Zealand Greens have lodged a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission on the policy.

Australian Greens senator, Sarah Hanson-Young, has labelled it “arbitrary”.

“The automatic nature of these visa cancellations mean that we don’t just have people who have served prison time for serious crimes,” Hanson-Young told reporters on Friday. “We’ve got to get real here. This includes people with traffic offences, who have been caught shoplifting.”
Now I would not for a minute minimise the importance of restraining someone who has driven without a licence on multiple occassions. That is an unfortunate reminder of the need to incarcerate someone for the good of society. To then label them as a 'hardened criminal' is perhaps over egging the situation. It also then begs the question 'What makes them a hardened criminal if it isn't incarceration?' which unfortunately for Dutton leads to some unfortunate conclusions about the nature of the mandatory detention regime he oversees.

I suppose I'm being complicit in the three card trick by pointing to Dutton. He is only being groomed as the scapegoat for an administration and an opposition so utterly bereft of a moral compass that they see a media stunt as a way of salving the collective conscience.

And they are right. The only winners this time around will be the LNP.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SynthOrange posted:

Just imagine Dutton riding a shopping trolley down a hill.
But were they wearing helmets? Tourist lives could have been saved!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The clown car crashed. There were no survivors. The current clown has eschewed makeup and had a change of suit. Actually seems to understand 'subtle' and 'salesmanship'. Same poo poo different whitewash.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Splode posted:

I wish you'd been a melamine casualty
Is there evidence they aren't?

Splode posted:

Do we know how many good informative posts on a topic we can have before it deteriorates, or is it just however long it takes negligent to show up?
Don't touch the poop?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Talk about nanny state :jerkbag:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And in a fresh round of victim blaming racist dog whistling (yes I know my posts are a bit samey. If only we would stop you know, victim blaming and dog whistle racism...)

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/high-court-rules-nt's-controversial-paperless/6934108

quote:

High Court rules NT's controversial paperless arrest laws are valid Thursday 12 November 2015 8:34AM (view full episode)

Yesterday, the High Court ruled that the Northern Territory's controversial paperless arrest laws introduced last year were valid. The laws allow police to detain people for 4 hours for minor offences, such as drinking in public, swearing or making too much noise—without filling in any paper-work. Overwhelming, it's been Aboriginal people detained. One Indigenous man has died in custody, which prompted harsh criticism of the laws from the Northern Territory coroner. The Territory's Attorney General, John Elferink, joins RN Breakfast to discuss the High Court ruling, and to respond to serious allegations raised on yesterday about the dire state of the juvenile justice system in the Northern Territory. It's another topic which is disproportionately affecting the Indigenous population in the territory.

Go on you were having too good a time :circlefap: with your mates Craig and co. listen to that audio and marvel that in 2015 nobody points out that:

Rates of domestic violence
Rates of incarceration
Rates of drug abuse
Rates of diabetes

correlate solidly with low socio-economic status. The real 80% statistic is that somehow, despite NOBODY BEING RACISTS EVER NAH UH a huge proportion of indigenous Australians live in grinding poverty. Have they even tried not being indigenous?

http://www.onyamagazine.com/australian-affairs/the-indigenous-australian-poverty-trap/comment-page-1/

-/-

Poop chat. My sole qualifier for posters is posting in bad faith. If you are prepared to lie about what you previously said and refuse to acknowledge it then, gently caress, looks like talking to you is a waste of time. I can go plenty of other places and be glibly lied too. The only thing I learn is not to pay any attention to liars.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

QUACKTASTIC posted:

So what, paperwork is just too hard now? What was their justification for this?
Not sure what you are addressing or asking for justification of.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Paperworkless arrests I believe.
Ah I see. I was thrown off by what he actually quoted which was the bit about indigenous disadvantage. In my defence I'm scrutinising a two hundred page document which is apparently an annual financial report but appears to be a fairy tale with numbers and turgid prose. So kind of like a Cartoon post really.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

freebooter posted:

Like, go ahead and say "they don't have the capacity" or whatever, but... the formula scandal happened 7 years ago. Build factories, expand production. If you're not paying attention to trends you're a bad manager and the market will deservedly eat you alive.
I have some bad news for you:

http://blog.aim.com.au/middle-managers-are-a-productivity-roadblock-survey-shows/

Laserface posted:

Apparently the raw materials required aren't available in quantities they need to ramp up production if the article I read the other day was accurate.
Like a used nappy that one doesn't pass the sniff test:

http://brucebradley.com/food/babys-first-encounter-with-big-food/

Cows milk, whey protein (Technically cows milk) and vegetable oil. Make up at least 95% by volume. I'm sure struggling dairy farmers would be pleased to know that there isn't enough demand for their product.

What strikes me as even stranger though is why are people not making trading accounts with the distributor? They'd get the product for at least 20% cheaper and not have to worry about arbitrary limits. What's not passing the sniff test here is the long and wicked hand of the Supermarket duopoly both in restricting access to the suppliers and attempting to protect the 'milk wars' pricing of milk.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SynthOrange posted:

Abbott throwing a shitfit over being called a human turd. :allears:
And you couldn't link it?

(I can't find it presumably it was live in the house of reps?)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

According to a tweet this article was removed from an edition of the Age on police request and Julian Burnside managed to get a copy:

Australia™
Is there any substantiation of the matters of fact available?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
More to the point the officers involved in this incident must be identified and dismissed at the very least. I'd imagine there are actually criminal charges available to the DPP as well but I'd settle for a dismissal. Good luck with that in Victoria. Remember the punch happy constable? Still no joy from an acknowledged official complaint.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

I'm sure the whole incident was just a split second action in a dynamic environment.
Well that sounds like what happens when I get my junk out. Story checks out after all!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've mentioned it before but it goes entirely to the point that our governments (Australian, US, UK et al.) aren't actually taking this seriously.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-us-needs-better-humint-to-beat-isis-2014-9

quote:

Even in today’s era of irregular warfare, the fine art of collecting human source intelligence has in large part become lost thanks to the relative comfort afforded by partner relationships and advances in intelligence technology. This reliance has been coupled with the tendency to lean on practices and procedures that reduce the risk of seeking out and engaging potential human sources.

It was absolutely crystal clear to anyone who spent ten minutes considering the post cold war landscape that the next adversary for the military industrial cartel was the Middle East and then necessarily Islam. None the less at the time of the 9/11 attacks there were three Arabic speakers in the CIA. Since then little has changed with a absolutely disproportionate reliance on 'cheap' electronic intelligence and surveillance. This is exactly what these groups have designed their operations to evade. That article above is over a year old yet we persist with our transport security theatre and increasingly intrusive 'data retention' and surveillance powers for police.

Not only are these a threat to what they are supposedly defending they are clearly ineffective and everyone in the intelligence community who isn't an authoritarian poo poo pile knows it. These attacks are virtually required by our right wing authoritarian poo poo heads so taking effective action to prevent them isn't in their best interests and they can always argue that human intelligence sources are both hard to achieve and enormously expensive. :jerkbag:

I also find it very rich, despite my sympathy for the victims, that the French are claiming that this is some kind of a Rubicon for them as if they had nothing to do with colonial oppression and fermenting the disaster in Syria and many other muslin areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Mandate_for_Syria_and_the_Lebanon

As ever, watch for who uses this as a platform for populist anti Islamic xenophobia as well as an excuse to further disenfranchise and restrict your freedom.

airtida' alkhudhat alkhassat bik

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Vladimir Poutine posted:

There was a decade of optimism in mainstream culture in the west between the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1991 and 9/11 in 2001 that basically got to the point where a lot of popular culture started using aliens and the paranormal as threats in plotlines instead of foreign policy badguys. For people like me in their 20s and early 30s the contrast between now and the climate we grew up in is really jarring.
And you chose to use it for grunge and gangsta rap.

Cleretic posted:

Isn't France basically just the most racist goddamn country in the EU? I mean yeah, tragedy that it happened at all, but kind of unsurprising that it specifically happened there.
That's pretty unfair. Due to all of the French colonial adventurism and the nature of the French republic they are sometimes considered an example of racial integration. There has been a strident recent (since 1990)upsurge in right wing racist groups and this attack will only worsen that. The anti burque stuff is notionally to protect the French secular tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_France

Also I'm not sure, even if I endorsed the concept, that France would 'win' 'most racist in the EU'.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:siren: DO NOT READ THE FRONT PAGE OF TODAY'S ARSETRALIAN :siren:

I did :smith:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/george-brandis-on-the-threat-of-terrorism/6943310

quote:

George Brandis on Australia's terror threat level Monday 16 November 2015 7:35AM (view full episode)

Australia's terror threat level remains under constant review following the terrible events in Paris over the weekend. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who is attending the G20 summit in Turkey, is receiving ongoing briefings from ministers and security agencies concerning the threat to Australia after the Paris attacks. Attorney General George Brandis is a member of the National Security Committee of Cabinet.

George Brandis joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

TL;DL

Fran Kelly gives Brandis a never ending stream of soft serves during which he tells a grateful nation that they have been protected by the enormous budgets and regressive legislation from the dire, existential and ever present terrorist threat. Kelly (to give her her due) did frame the world longest question including a grab from NTATA with a mention of the need for better human int. Brandis interpreted it as meaning better contact with the moderate Islamic community and once again spoke glowingly about ASIO's enormous budget. :ssh: ASIO is our DOMESTIC spy agency we need the human int. to be in place in, hang on it's one of those funny sounding names, and that would mean ASIS. But what's in an S or and O?

Are we really this stupid? Well I guess we get full confirmation next election but my guess is HECK YEAH!

Tirade posted:

What makes you so confident that it's a forged passport?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/15/why-syrian-refugee-passport-found-at-paris-attack-scene-must-be-treated-with-caution

quote:

Whether the passport was planted, stolen, forged or genuine, investigators should find out the truth soon enough. But regardless of what they discover, a wider debate has now begun about the wisdom of letting so many unknown migrants enter Europe through its southern borders, and being allowed to move onwards through the continent with few restrictions. Already, there are calls to step up the policing of Greece’s maritime border with Turkey, and to block the passage of refugees entirely.
Definitely some significant doubt.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tirade posted:

Saying "let's wait for the facts to shake out" (i.e. what the Guardian article is saying) is very different to saying that it's a confirmed forgery and the media is peddling lies by not reporting it (i.e. what birb katter is saying).
I fear that there is some tilting at windmills by both of you.

The ABC article only mentions the passport appears to be form a Syrian asylum seeker and quotes Dutton ""I was in Jordan only the week before last and there is a lot of talk there about false documents and false passports, and we need to make sure that we know who is coming to our country,"

That means Bib Katters mainly (probably deliberately*) specious comment pretty far from your accusation of 'confimed forgery and media peddling lies'

* I base this assessment on the context of him using it to point to the myth of ABC leftist bias, but please do not allow me to also put words in people's mouths. I am definitely assuming both his meaning and intention.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tirade posted:

But to be clear, the strikes today were almost certainly more than routine - both in size but also in terms of publicity. Hollande would have probably personally given the direction to hit a whole bunch of ISIL targets, which is understandable really.
Not singling you out here but I don't find any of this remotely 'understandable'. The whole thing including the ongoing bombing campaign is insanity and has to stop. That's what we should be focusing our collective energy on. Not some really really loving dumb tit for tat shock and awe bull poo poo that we have been continuously proving does not work since the end of the cold war.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

What takes the place of a military campaign against ISIS? Do you think there can be a political solution when you have a horde of violent extremists trying to carve themselves an empire in the middle east? I don't see how any sort of peaceful solution can be reached unless there is some kind of stability in the affected areas, and you aren't going to find stability while ISIS is in control.

As an aside, is it counterproductive to refer to 'Islam' when referring to Islamic extremists like ISIS? I was having this debate with my grandpa who reckons probably the worst thing the West could have done is call ISIS by that name instead of 'daesh' or something because it alienates moderate muslims.

Go to a bunch of supermarkets, buy as much formula as you're allowed and flog it on ebay. Simple.
Oh I don't think there is a possible positive outcome that doesn't involve a military campaign but it has to be a military campaign in support of a predetermined endgame. Not piece meal wack a mole bullshit that creates a massive humanitarian disaster. The best example I can cite is the UN intervention in Yugoslavia. It has to be hearts and minds and consideration of the issues behind the conflict. Drone strikes aren't the way forward.

I utterly abhor the use of military force but in situations such as this it's not like it isn't already being used effectively indiscriminately. This is what the UN was set up for. :doh:

I can't actually see anything sensible being done in the medium to long term so having a theoretical solution that nobody is paying a blind bit of notice too doesn't count for much at all. :smith:

See also human int sources blah blah blah.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

But why does it sell out? Surely that stuff should be super common and cheap?
The invisible hand of the market can't fap the cow's udders fast enough apparently.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mithranderp posted:

yeah, or that.

From all reports WfD is really prohibitive if you are actually trying to get work, seeing as it takes up a bunch of your prime job-seeking hours. So either reduce the hours, or increase their pay to minimum wage, or both. Both is good.
So the bludgers should be made to work in cafes on the weekend. They can still 'look' :rolleyes: for work during so called 'business hours' and do something for the hard working small business owners who are the backbone of this country. Centrelink would have already done this except they are in cahoots with big welfare and want to keep sucking up my tax dollars. If they had been fully privatised they would already be doing just this. No wonder the terrorists are taking over this once great country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Seagull posted:

how many more MSF hospitals will we bomb though
They still have them :monocle: It's worse than I imagined possible!

• Locked thread