Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

gently caress I'm kinda really down that the Liberal Party can get away with raising the GST without a fuss but the ALP couldn't get away with a simple and compensated price on Carbon.

What the gently caress, Australia??????????

It's true, they've completely gotten away with it without anybody noticing or caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

I think that was the Mike Baird argument: "it's not regressive if you're compensating lower income earners". Which of course begs the question if you want to spare lower income earners why not just exclude them by taxing elsewhere, and avoid the inflated admin costs that go along with compensating, to begin with.
Because those other areas have costs too (both directly and in terms of economic impact), and because some forms of compensation don't increase admin costs beyond what they already are.

The problem is that Baird's idea of compensation is almost certainly things like raising the tax-free threshold, rather than things that would actually be good like increasing Newstart and Youth Allowance etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AusPol November - why the gently caress are you reading a forum full of comments?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What a misleading headline.

It's not an exclusive at all, the Daily Telegraph has been pushing that story for years.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 5, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

Notice how they never have crackdowns on tax evasion, but they often do on welfare fraud?

Do you not pay attention to things like Wickenby?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hooman posted:

I like that former liberal prime ministers are now more left wing than former labor ones.

Yeah, but at the moment the only former Liberal PMs still alive are Howard and Abbott, sooo...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon posted:

The second one. The prosecutors (council assisting the commissioner) declined to say bad stuff about him explicitly stating he had not been involved in any criminal activity, although others had. That's why I find the timing suspicious. Getting Breeb Snidlick charged with even something minor may have forced the Lesser NeoCons to ditch him as leader, something Turdball definitely does not want (Although who are we fooling. Turdball is going to romp it in on a parade float with a full range +5% GST regardless).

More specifically

TURC posted:

In very brief overview, counsel assisting have submitted that the Commissioner should find that a number of officials of the AWU and the AWU itself may have engaged in criminal conduct in relation to the falsification of invoices and the taking of commissions.

It is further submitted that a number of persons employed by major employers and employers themselves may have engaged in similar criminal conduct, by receiving and paying bogus invoices and paying commissions (see e.g. Chapter 3 – Thiess John Holland, paragraph 213; Chapter 5 – ACI, paragraph 118; Chapter 6 – Chiquita Mushrooms paragraph 85; Chapter 8 – Winslow Constructors, paragraph 44).

Counsel assisting have submitted further that a number of officials of the AWU may have engaged in conduct in conflict of interest by causing the union to enter into lucrative side deals that were not disclosed to the members.

There is no submission that Mr Bill Shorten may have engaged in any criminal or unlawful conduct.

They say there's no evidence he's done anything illegal, and they don't bother to accuse him of lesser stuff. Given TURC was set up to throw poo poo at the union movement, if they could have gone for more they would have.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Antony Green has put up his summary of the NSW redistribution changes.

quote:

Some of the key changes to boundaries are -

• The enrolment shortfall in the Hunter and on the North Coast has seen all North Coast seats shift south, with Cowper gaining Port Macquarie from Lyne and Lyne gaining Forster-Tuncurry from Paterson.
  • Paterson gains the rest of Maitland plus Kurri Kurri from Hunter, resulting in Paterson switching from being a Liberal seat with a margin of 9.8% to being a marginal Labor seat on a margin of 1.3%.
  • Hunter also loses Kandos and Rylstone to Calare and areas around Scone to New England while absorbing much of the abolished electorate of Charlton.
  • On the Central Coast, the marginal Liberal electorate of Dobell undergoes only minor changes, but enough to turn its Liberal margin of 0.7% into a notional Labor margin of 0.3%.
  • The bellwether seat of Eden-Monaro loses the areas around Batemans Bay to Gilmore while gaining Yass from Hume and Tumut from Riverina. The electorate now surrounds the ACT and its Liberal margin increases from 0.6% to an estimated 2.6%.
  • Hume loses large areas to Riverina and Hume while shifting into Sydney's outer south-west suburbs in gaining Camden and Narellan from Macarthur.
  • Macarthur moves north, losing Liberal voting Camden and Narellan while gaining Labor voting territory from Werriwa. The Liberal margin is cut substantially from 11.4% to 2.8%.
  • Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen's seat of McMahon becomes more marginal on paper, gaining Minchinbury from Chifley, Edensor Park from Fowler and parts of Guilford and Granville from Blaxland while losing Fairfield to Fowler. The Labor margin is down from 5.3% to an estimated 1.9%.
  • The Redistribution Commissuioners have chosen to break from a long tradition of running Cook inland along the Cronulla peninsula until it reaches a quota. The boundary has been pushed across the Georges River, which avoids Hughes being squeezed into the western suburbs.
  • The Cook change has a massive impact on Barton, which shifts north as far as Marrickville Road in Sydney's inner-west and is transformed from being a Liberal seat with a margin of 0.3% into a safe Labor seat with an estimated margin of 8.3%.
  • Grayndler gains Balmain and Rozelle from Sydney and Drummoyne from Reid. The seat now covers most of two state seats currently held by the Greens, though based on 2013 Federal election results Grayndler would be Labor held and the Greens would finish third.
  • The electorate of Throsby has been re-named Whitlam in honour of late Prime Minister Gough Whitlam.

E: Barton, Macmahon and Patterson are all significantly changed. Eden-Monaro might not be a bellwether any more. The People's Republic of Grayndler should continue to be a three-way contest, although it's really hard to say.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 9, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't see the problem. Labor leaders have been calling for a republic for years (Shorten included), and the anniversary of the Dismissal is a perfect time to talk about how our head of state is appointed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Seagull posted:

suggestions that refugees were "tortured" by "guards" are "exaggerated"

"Refugees".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

I said that this sounds like a young girl trying (and failing) to engage with contemporary politics, and that this is a different thing to some white kid being all 'gently caress da muzzies'. I didn't claim it was inscrutable or unknowable or whatever you're trying to attribute to me.

"gently caress da muzzies" sounds exactly like a lot of contemporary politics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Negligent posted:

You mean clean coal

Nah, smart coal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Negligent posted:

Hollowmen is cool and good Utopia is kind of lame

Yeah, the shift from political satire to public service workplace satire wasn't a good one (though I've heard S2 of Utopia is a bit better?).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

:siren: Richard Di Natale is against pineapple on pizza :siren:

No word yet about burgers.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, season 2's both a bit more political and a bit better-written. I'd say if you didn't like the first season at all it still won't appeal, but it is a better season.

The first season was okay, I just felt it was a step down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maybe we should spend more on roads so we can safely drive at higher speeds?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Negligent posted:

Why are you guys driving cars anyway

You lefties all bitched about Tony Abbott being a car supporter

Leftist households, 99.4% own a car

Complains about climate change

Drives a car everyday

0.6% :smug:

Actually it's sometimes a hassle and we'll get a car around when the baby arrives.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Starshark posted:

Does anyone follow the USpol thread and if so could they tell me why the thread title is a stream of random characters so I don't have to sift through 2000 posts to find let's face it what might not be a funny joke?

Was only changed recently.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

The death penalty is an easy sell to the fringe morons he panders to.

I think he's genuinely that bloodthirsty and stupid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

I dunno, it's irrelevant either way. The usual justification is 'Abbott is a conservative and conservatives go on about family values so he should be exposed a hypocrite.' Which seems to completely miss the point of what people who run on 'family values' platforms and people who vote for them are trying to achieve.

It's relevant if someone's personal relationships affect their professional ones. There would probably be a lot more of an outcry if they'd been in a public relationship / been married.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BBJoey posted:

why is scott morrison disqualified, again?

Because he's now allied with Turnbull.

Morrison was probably never a true believer in the hard conservative wing either, to be honest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon posted:

So a Nazi of convenience. Not sure if that's not actually worse.

Yeah.

The Monthly piece on him makes that case, if you haven't read it.

BBJoey posted:

I know that treasurer is much higher on the pecking list than minister for BORDER FORCE but if being a member of the Turnbull cabinet is enough to be dropped as "leader" of the right, surely Dutton should be disqualified too? Or is it the fact that Morrison was appointed Treasurer by Turnbull? Because if so that seems a bit short-sighted; "our leader is considered capable enough to be promoted to treasurer, we must now disown him and fall in behind a potato instead."

Morrison backstabbed Abbott for his own benefit, while Turnbull had no choice but to keep the loyal and talented Dutton in place etc etc

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 30, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Then Abbott got on the blower," says Mitchell. "He rang me about 10 minutes after my response to Credlin.

"He asked me why I'd object to Peta's request to sack Niki when I had sacked Glenn Milne [an earlier columnist at The Australian] at Julia Gillard's request. I explained to him that that wasn't what had happened."

Abbott denies asking for Savva's sacking, but Mitchell says that was exactly the interpretation he'd put on the prime minister's call.

It's fun seeing the Coalition supporters who don't want Abbott back salt the loving earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Replace the fuel excise with congestion pricing :getin:

• Locked thread