Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's good to know that the reason we're getting rid of knights and dames is because they aren't modern enough.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think fully sick is even more outdated than knights and dames.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

Regarding knights and dames, from the AFR story:

Not only did cabinet agree unanimously that knights and dames were out of date for Australia, but the queen agreed too.

Of course the Queen agrees. If she didn't she wouldn't Queen for long.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

She has managed to stay on another 40 years after involvement in a coup against a democratically elected australian government so I don't think knights and dames was going to be the tipping point m8

Is there anything to substantiate that?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's not that I think he's lying, but wouldn't something like that be a bigger deal than it apparently is? If the Queen really was interfering in Australian affairs then it would be a fairly powerful argument for ditching her. I'd have thought the republicans would be all over it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I have considered that but it doesn't seem like it would make a difference. You only need one or two people to make an issue of it to get it investigated.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I was thinking more like Four Corners or something like that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's a difference between politicians selling us out, which in a 'representative' system they're perfectly entitled to do, and the Queen throwing her weight around.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It was 40 years ago so whatever the case it's a fairly academic question, but it would still be interesting to find out. Prob have to wait for Charles to die before anything that could confirm or contradict it gets released.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's in his best interests not to know anything. Looking forward to our modern, mature economy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Distinct lack of nuclear transport options.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Replace them with robot horses.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

For the first time ever a woman jockey won the big horse race, in an industry that is cruel to horses and fuels gambling, at an event that promotes binge drinking culture, in Melbourne, who on winning said "I just want to say to those who say women aren't strong enough, get stuffed"

Way to split the left.

You'd have to have a pretty hazy understanding of your own beliefs to be conflicted by this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Splode posted:

Motorbike racing doesn't have the entrenched gambling culture they want though

They're just not pushing it hard enough.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hard breaks are where everyone comes unstuck.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How can you be a Christian if you don't believe in, or are agnostic about, the central tenet of Christianity?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The central tenet of Christianity is that Jesus is (the son of) God. If you think that's up for debate you're not a Christian you're a heretic and a blasphemer.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Arguments about the trinity and whether Christianity is a contradictory polytheistic religion aside, the whole point of being religious is having faith. If you don't have that then you're not much of a Christian.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can't doubt these things and call yourself a Christian.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

though its true that most christains nowadays are agnosics but thats bc theyre not really christians in any meaningful sense. theyre humanists with anecdotes

All the Catholics are excommunicated anyway, they just don't know it yet.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

Has any society ever actually toyed with the idea of Parliament (or at least Senate) as jury duty? No elections, no professional politicians, people's numbers just come up for a year of duty and they have to show up, debate and decide?

This would be ridiculously easy to exploit.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's intentional. The welfare cheat is the myth they use to take money away from people who deserve it, which is what they actually want to do.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Notice how they never have crackdowns on tax evasion, but they often do on welfare fraud?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do you not pay attention to things like Wickenby?

Most tax evasion is entirely legal so no not really.

{EDIT: I guess I should say 'avoidance'. Whatever.]

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You need a grid to sell the power, unless people are coming to your business to fill up a jerry can with electricity. Energy companies will become more like the big network companies that control the internet backbone.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Imagine if they sold bottles that didn't have anything in them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well if he did flee OMG torture and OMG murder he probably should of thought twice about committing assualt that led to him ending up back in detention in the first place.

As for my emotional response. I'll give you the collective Australian, "meh".

At this point I look at the refugee issue, the world's indifference to fixing it and I simply don't give a gently caress anymore. These people will eventually be let out when it is politically expedient or shipped back when possible. Yeah it loving sucks to be them I guess.

At least they're not being tortured or murdered huh?

Looks like the consensus we reached last time about you being a racist and a psychopath is holding true.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You don't even realise what you're being criticised for, much less what you're saying.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Did that make sense in your head before you posted it?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

He said right there in his post. He doesn't have an argument, he just 'doesn't give a gently caress'.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you think the government tortures people and you haven't formed a paramilitary group to launch a daring midnight raid on Christmas Island you don't really care either.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can assure you that any insight was 100% intentional.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you're not an armed revolutionary you're a counter-revolutionary.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

When Hitler came to power I was on the first jet to Germany with my bazooka and bandolier.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do you want to join my militia, Negligent?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

So they should.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There are just as many idiots in Europe as there are here. We don't cater to idiots, we cater to people who think they are better than the idiots and demand that something be done.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

A land steeped in culture uses that culture to mitigate a lot of the things that would instead require rules, laws and force.

If only we had a culture of our own.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

These articles come up all the time and they're the most pathetic kind of handwringing, they're in the same vein as :qq: people care more about Santa than Jesus :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The cops hardly find any grow ops. They might brag about their technology but they're forever busting them and it doesn't make any kind of a dent in the weed supply.

• Locked thread