Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"maybe the Liberals will make it easier for poor people to recieve welfare in compensation for regressive taxes"

-nobody, ever (et.al)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BBJoey posted:

here's a question I'm having trouble with, auspol friends: who should be against the wall first; swing voters, the lnp, or the alp? there are compelling arguments for all 3.

Full wall equality now.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

What the actual gently caress.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Oh yeah, horse racing is a lovely cruel sport that promotes violence against animals, results in unnecessary deaths, and supports gambling and binge drinking.

gently caress Melbourne Cup

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

This forum is pretty tame in comparison to comments sections on news websites. Some comments sections out there are basically stormfront or worse.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/boltcomments?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

We're number 1!

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/australias-gambling-obsession-in-one-depressing-chart-20150901-gjd2w1.html#ixzz3kYI70hQI

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Who would have thought women can beat an animal with a stick just as well as a man. Truly a great day for equality.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

oh gently caress off.

Most uncomfortable looking man on earth.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

How would you effectively enforce copyright law regarding VPNs? Due to the nature of how they work isn't that basically a massive waste of time?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Corrugated iron and piss I feel captures Australia's bouquet quite well.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I wonder if they have tried not being disabled?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

tidal generation is sheer lunarcy

You are the worst.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Technically this guy is breaking the law right? The two years prison time thing?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

HookShot posted:

Here it's a super common thing that they run their own generators.

Basically the cops now have special helicopters that fly around and have marijuana-seeking heat sensors to find the really big grow ops.

I went to school with a German bloke and apparently they used to just target the houses with less snow on their roofs than they should.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Aaahaha this reminds me when I was dumb an 17. I was working at woolies and got a call from them where I was working night-fill asking if I wanted to work on boxing day, and they mentioned the word "holiday" like ten times in the conversation somewhat suspiciously.

Not as bad as the time I was forced to go from casual to a 2 week permanent part time contract though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

So the ALP is courting Adam Goodes for a possible parliamentary position.
I'm sure that'll work out well for him.

A+ bolt trolling right there. I eagerly await the #BoltComments.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Coucho Marx posted:

Remember the #yourtaxi PR disaster? Of course you do, it was two days ago.

Missed opportunity to quote "fresh in our memories" 2/10

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Not that I agree with what's going on, but I'm pretty sure that being a member of a criminal gang is a crime.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Just buy the maximum amount every day at shops close together like meth cooks used to.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

open24hours posted:

Calling on atheists to unite in their contempt for religious fundamentalism is pretty funny.

It's calling on everyone who isn't a religious fundamentalist to stand opposed to it. Which is largely what everyone who isn't a religious fundamentalist is doing anyway.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Even if you think that is the best option, why would you publish those details in the national news.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Thanks for that, very informative.

I read a good article about this today.

https://www.freewordcentre.com/blog/2015/02/daesh-isis-media-alice-guthrie/

Written by a professional Arabic translator, it basically explains that is is the most easily taken advantage of name they could have possibly given themselves. If you have the time, I recommend you read it all.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 17, 2015

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Praising a terrorist organisation and celebrating the murder of innocent civilians will get you suspended 100% of the time. I can't think of a single school that wouldn't suspend a student over this, regardless of religion/race factors.

I think it should have been handled differently (who the gently caress thought it necessary to report this), but suspension for things like this is extremely common.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

open24hours posted:

It's more that 13 year old kids get the benefit of the doubt.

13 year old kids need to be taught that supporting terrorism and celebrating the deaths of innocents is actually pretty hosed. Also the Australian media should learn when they are making things ten times worse.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Are you quite hosed in the head? First Nations is what the First Nations people I go to school with prefer to be called.

Indigenous Australian is what I'm told by the government to refer to them as, unless you know their particular mob (Koorie etc.). This was in the same document literally telling everyone not to call the noongas though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Disagree. Praising the IRA would never get you kicked out of school. Praising the Nazis probably wouldn't even do it. Only praising Brown People Who Are Our Enemies is cause enough

You seriously think that if someone agreed with the actions of the Nazis and praised the events in Warsaw wouldn't get suspended? They would get suspended for sure.

quote:

Fair enough, but I'm talking about what First Nations people want you to call them, which, when you don't know their particular tribe, is First Nations people.

In my parts they seem to prefer Indigenous, or the traditional owners group ( usually Darumbal). Haven't come across many who identify as First Nations.

Also many find the term "tribe" offensive.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

My condolences for your lovely school, sounds hosed. I can assure you that at every school I've ever been in, any racial abuse towards Indigenous people almost always results in a suspension.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

What is your preferred way of describing a thing or situation that is pretty good?

I haven't heard half of those responses in at least 10 years. I'm sure I have never heard "grouse" being used except by people trying to sound like ironic dickheads. Do people still actually use words like "rad" or 'deadly"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

That piece of poetry at the end is genuinely sad, especially when you see who the author has turned into. I hope it gets brought up with him in an interview sometime.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

:siren: Stop the Boats :siren:

quote:

A suspected asylum seeker boat has made it near Flying Fish Cove on Christmas Island before being intercepted by the Australian Navy.

Locals on the island told SBS WA Correspondent Ryan Emery, who is on Christmas Island, that it was the first time such a boat had made it that close since 2013.

Speaking down the line from Christmas Island, Mr Emery said locals told him the boat arrived within 200 metres of the cove in the early hours of this morning and was moved to Smith's Point.

He said it appeared Navy staff had boarded the boat and given the occupants life jackets.

It was unclear whether they would be taken to the mainland or whether the boat would be towed back to its origin however Mr Emery said it appeared the boat was moving further out to sea.

The Department of Immigration has been contacted for comment.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/11/20/asylum-seeker-boat-intercepted-near-christmas-island

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Laserface posted:

i went to bunnings to buy a fan and they had a sausage sizzle on. with halal sausages.

That means no pork sausage though, and that the onions weren't cooked in beer (the correct way)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

^^amazing

I don't know. I'm not certain about alcohol being haram. Drunkenness is certainly haram, but I've worked with way too many Moslems who won't eat bacon but will enjoy a beer after work to be so certain about the alcohol thing.

Onions cooked in beer would (I hope) never be sold as halal food. Whether or not that constitutes as permitted or not for individuals is a different question.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

edit: ^^infinitely better than my correct post.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Skellybones posted:

They can have it back IMO, I don't want it any more.

I wonder if they'll thank the traditional owners like last time and cause the inevitable irony singularity?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recoome posted:

I have sighted the nazis, a guy is wearing a black flag with the nazi "wolfsangel" rune.

If you can, get a picture and send it to one of the antifa groups.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recoome posted:

No I didn't, I'm not surprised because there was a core of Reclaimers who were acting extremely aggressively.

Herr Wolfsangel has been spotted

https://twitter.com/slackbastard/media

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recoome posted:

maybe reclaim australia should enlist the help of some grammar nazis for their next rallydoo

the real nazis are terrible at it

Speaking of which:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

The only way that would happen is if they are ridiculously and consistently incompetent.

Oh dear.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Senator Lionhat continues to endear himself to the Australian public

quote:

"It's bad enough that people continue to bring wave upon wave of these little blighters into the world," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

"The least they can do is immunise their bundles of dribble and sputum so they don't make the rest of us sick."

Senator Leyonhjelm, who does not have children, said it was time to ask: "Won't someone please think of the childless?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

George "fight me IRL" Christensen

• Locked thread